11 North First Street, Jacksonville Beach, Florida, 32250, United States
Booking.com FourPoints.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Jacksonville Beach

JAX BEACH FROM THE PIERJAX BEACH FROM THE PIER

Heather & john make their departureHeather & john make their departure

Tim & I by the beachTim & I by the beach

Tim & I at the receptionTim & I at the reception

Travel Tips for Jacksonville Beach

MM 747.6 Beach Marine

Our charge at Beach Marine was $1.25/ft

Electric and tax added up to $9.20. I didn't get to check the internet availability although they say they have some.

Their website says they have wet slips for travelers, laundry facilities, dry storage, T docks, easy safe access to the Intracoastal Waterway. Diesel and marine gas are available as well as parts and supplies. Nearby stores and shops provide everything one needs. Permanent dockage for on-board living features phone service, 30 and 50 amp electrical service and cable. There isn't much current in the marina, but the current through the McCormick bridge which is right next to it is *extremely* fast at some states of tide.

ICW Trip 2001 Leg 22 Pablo Creek

by grandmaR

This is another place on the ICW which doesn't fit very well into any well known location. It is south of the St. Johns River on the ICW. I've put the information under Jacksonville Beach because the marina we stay at has an address of Jacksonville, but the marina is quite a ways from downtown Jacksonville.

"Leg 22 November 24, 2001- leaving Fernandina"

BLUE JACKET, a dark hulled power boat from Oxford MD passed, and also the Canadian power boat LE BOUCLIER with the two solar panels. We go through the first Florida bridge at 11:23 (Sister's Creek).

We come out into the St. Johns River, and there is a shipyard where a giant catamaran hull is being built, plus CAPE COD LIGHT (looks like a small cruise ship) and assorted grey boats and tugs are there. (See St. John's River travelogue) We get to Pablo Creek marina after a short trip of 28.4 miles. Since it is Sat, the office where an internet connection is reputed to be is closed, so the dockmaster lets me use the line in his office. I have to use the credit card line as the phone line is some kind of switchboard and I can't get it to give me a line from the computer. The restaurant is closed (apparently went bankrupt as the employees last checks bounced), so we eat on the boat. Have the Brunswick stew saved from Jekyll island and a salad.

"November 25, 2001"

A black cat visited us a couple of times last night. We get underway about 7:20 with a minimum of fuss. Saw an osprey fishing. We went through the McCormick Bridge just before 8 am.

Next St. Augustine

Last Trip Home, April 2004

"April 8, 2004"

The sun is in and out of the clouds today. We listen to the weather report , which sounds ominous with thunderstorms. The clouds get lower, and it starts to rain about 1045. We see lightening ahead of us. We have about 20 minutes of hard rain and lightening just before the Palm Valley Bridge.

We were in a narrow cut or canal at the time, with tall trees all around, so it wasn't too bad.

On the east side of the canal are huge homes with two or three story screened pool enclosures. On the west side, it is totally untouched.

I saw some interesting lawn ornaments - a manatee statue with rabbit ears, and a topiary in the shape of a gardener.

I got everything wiped up, but then we had showers off and on until about 1300. It is hard to take pictures in the rain, and the light made everything look kind of lime green.

GRAND FROMAGE from Georgetown CI passed (a big motor yacht). They went into Beach Marine.

Because of the rain, we couldn't see too well when we went through the McCormick bridge (I called the bridge tender and asked him to open when we got there, and he actually opened in plenty of time - maybe even a little early)

The bridge is right by Beach Marine where we spent the night. We tied up at the dock in a hard drizzle (but without lightening). Then it cleared up and the sun came out. We were tied up by 1300 after a trip of 30.7 miles at an average speed of 6.7 mph.

They put us on the T-head of the number 2 dock. After I went up and paid and sent the emails off, I came back to the boat and Bob said that we were solidly aground at low tide. Could not even move the boat by pushing on her.

We went and ate dinner at the Boathouse Grill. Bob had a hamburger and I had the surf and turf which gave me a choice of several items for the surf part and I picked swordfish. I also had a creme brulee for dessert. After dinner I walked up to the bridge so I could get a better view of the area.

"April 9, 2004"

At about 7:30, Bob walked up to the bathroom and got a paper. He found out from the dock master that low tide was about 8, and he was afraid that we would not be able to get off the dock until after nine. So he proposed that we leave right away. A boat named JAZZ from Annapolis was going out of the marina and said that they only had 3 feet (!!!) in the center of the channel.

So I threw on some clothes and he removed all the lines (It didn't matter - the boat was almost aground so it wasn't going anywhere.) and then Bob pushed the boat out from the dock and to the rear. Then he got back on board backed into the fairway between docks one and two and turned around and went out. The moon was still pretty high in the sky.

We went by the decimated Pablo Creek where there used to be a marina (condos being built now), and under the two new bridges being built and crossed the St. Johns River. A larger power boat NEVER BETTER III passed.

Next: Passing by Amelia Island

North 2001 - Vicinity of the St. Johns River

by grandmaR

"Coming north March 2001"

Note: These pictures appear to have been taken around the 8th or 9th of December in the St. Augustine area, excpet for the last one which may be from South Carolina. They do not particularly go with the narrative.

"March 21, 2001"

When we left St. Augustine, Bob had it in mind to make Fernandina Beach, but that is 62 miles and I know we'll never make it as we have current to contend with (sometimes with and sometimes against us) and the wind is too brisk to put up the jib. Eventually he puts up the staysail and we do go faster.

We came to the Palm Valley Bridge (bascule) which opens on request and we can see that they are building a new fixed bridge next to it. We also went through the McCormick Bridge OK. We went into Pablo Creek Marina and got 25 gals of diesel. Both the dock guy and I thought he said 45 gallons.

We tried to get onto the T head of C dock, but the wind was blowing us off the pier and we could not get in behind the power boat that was there, so we went back and he put us on the fuel dock. (This dock is posted every 5 feet that it is for fueling only and violators will be prosecuted but there were 3 of us there.)

We did 37.5 miles at 5.1 mph (322 nm total since Miami) by 3:30 pm.

------------------
Dock of restaurant pictured doesn't have any water at low tide.

There was supposed to be a live country band which would be noisy at Hurricane Hatties, but we didn't hear a thing. Fuel dock was also a floating dock. Got ice. They said they had an internet connection in Building 6, but I didn't get a chance to test it. We ate there and had a Maine lobster dinner (they spelled it Main) with two little lobsters for $16.95. [Unfortunately this restaurant is no longer there as it went bankrupt and the marina has been leveled to the ground to be made into condos.]

"March 22, 2001"

I looked up the tides and currents for the St. Johns River and determined that the later we left the better. Bob did not get that information out of what I said, and started getting ready to leave at 7:30 when I had 8:30 or 9 in mind. But it worked out OK.

When we went to cast off, Bob said he'd untie the dock lines and jump back aboard (because I am unable to flip lines off of the dock to his satisfaction), but the wind blew the bow out while he was untying the stern, and I almost had to leave him there.

The Atlantic Beach bridge was right past the marina. When we went through before there was so much current in it that there was a permanent wake. This time it was a slack water, and was easy to get through.

We crossed the St. Johns River just a little current against us, and only had to dodge one big ship. Got an opening of the Sister's Creek Bridge right away (actually he opened a little too soon).

Next Fernandina Beach