La Quinta Inn And Suites Jupiter

La Quinta Inn Jupiter
Booking.com Orbitz.com LQ.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Jupiter

Sign about the cemeterySign about the cemetery

Looking through the fenceLooking through the fence

Wild flowerWild flower

Drawbridge downDrawbridge down

Travel Tips for Jupiter

Jupiter Lighthouse

by grandmaR

I followed the directions that I had in the computer, and we got to a parking lot which was on the road where the lighthouse sites said the lighthouse was. I could SEE the lighthouse. But at first I thought we could not get in - all the gates were padlocked.

It turns out that you have to get a ticket from the museum

Jupiter Inlet lighthouse was built in 1860. It is another one that was built by George G. Meade. The 105 ft brick tower is painted brick red; the lantern is painted black. The lighthouse can be shorter because it is on a mound that is about 14 feet tall. The original rotating 1st order Fresnel lens remains in use. The principal keeper's house burned in 1927, but there is a small museum in the oil house. This lighthouse is the oldest building in Palm Beach County. The 150th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in January 2010. While I was walking around taking my pictures, Bob talked to the guide who was new. He said that the lightening cable which goes down the side of the lighthouse was not grounded, and when lightening hit the tower, it blew some bricks out.

So now it does go to ground.

I didn't get to go into the oil house.

Reason for the Light to Shine

by grandmaR

The whole reason for the lighthouse, is of course to warn sailors and boaters.

Under construction Admiral's Cove Marina Marina
300 Admiral's Cove Blvd.
Jupiter FL 33477
(561) 745-5961
Email Max(LOA): 130'
# of Slips: 72
Appr Depth: 8'
Dock Depth: 8'
Located on ICW with access to Atlantic Ocean.
The Club at Admiral's Cove is a private residential platinum rated country club with 5-miles of navigable waterway with more than 500 private docks and marina. We welcome transient guests.

Jupiter Seasport Marina Marina/Dry Stack
1095 North A1A
Jupiter FL 33477
(561) 575-0006
Email Max(LOA): 100'
# of Slips: 20
Appr Depth: 9'
Dock Depth: 9'
Located on Jupiter Inlet, ICW with access to Atlantic Ocean.

Jupiter Inlet

by grandmaR

Jupiter is a town in Palm Beach County, Florida. It is a beach town.

The most notable landmark is the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, completed in 1860. The lighthouse is often used as the symbol for Jupiter, as it is on this corner sign.

The lighthouse is the greatest interest to us. Made of brick, it was painted red in 1910 due to discoloration caused by humidity. Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 sandblasted the paint from the upper portion of the tower, and the tower was repainted using a potassium silicate mineral coating.

Jupiter, Florida

by vivecapark

I moved here from North Carolina October, 1999. I had been visiting the North Palm Beach area for 7 years prior to moving here. I knew that if I moved here, that I would want to live in the Jupiter/Juno area.

I'm happy to answer questions--I LOVE this area. It's the best place I have ever lived!

I lived here for 6 years before we decided not to hang around for the next hurricane season.

At visit to the Lighthouse

by grandmaR

We got off the cruise ship on a Thursday. I didn't know how early or late it would be, and I wanted to see two lighthouses that were north of us - Jupiter lighthouse (which we saw once from the ICW) and Hillsborough Light.

I figured it we went up north of Palm Beach to stay, we could see one of them, and then do the other one in the morning.

I did have one picture of the Jupiter lighthouse from the ICW, but since it is a red brick lighthouse, I had confused it with the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet (also red brick) which we had visited.

I didn't have really good directions to either lighthouse. I could find them on the chart and I could find them on a map, but I wasn't sure how to actually access them. I was pretty sure they were near US A1A which goes up along the barrier islands east of the ICW, so for awhile, we drove up the coast and looked at the Palm Beach mansions

Eventually, we stopped at an IHOP for lunch in West Palm Beach (where I had a spinach salad with chicken and it was way to much for me to eat), and then did the rest of the trip up to Juno Beach on I-95.

Then when we went back to the coast, I followed the directions that I had in the computer, and we got to a parking lot which was on the road where the lighthouse sites said the lighthouse was.

It turns out that you have to get a ticket from the museum, and the museum entrance is not obvious.

In 2007, the museum was $5 each and it was an additional $2 to take a lighthouse tour. The museum has nothing to do with the lighthouse (it was about the sub-spotters from WWII who lived in the house that is now the museum), and I didn't think it was worth $5. The lighthouse OTOH was worth more.

We went with a guide up to the lighthouse (I didn't climb it).

You are supposed to have a guide whenever you are on the grounds. The last tour is at 4 pm.

So now it does go to ground.

We were able to watch the drawbridge open near the lighthouse, and then I noticed that there was a little graveyard on the grounds. This proved to be the infant children of the lighthouse keeper who had died.

After we finished with the lighthouse, we went to stay at the Hampton Inn in Juno Beach/West Palm Beach.

Comments