Key Largo Grande Resort & Beach Club

Booking.com Agoda.com Tingo.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Emmjai's Profile Photo

A useful base camp

Now known as the Shereton Beach Resort, this hotel is currently getting a face lift. Great views of the gulf coast (and the opportunity for great sunset views) , with its own beach and swimming pool. A useful base for exploring the eastern Keys.

Unique Quality: Great sunset views ( if the weather co-operates!)

Directions: A right turn off the westbound carriage way. You can't access it from the east bound carriageway, (and indeed it isn't even marked)

More about Key Largo Grande Resort & Beach Club

great time

I used the reviews found here to pick the Westin Key Largo for our trip in sept. we were not dissappointed. the rooms were nice and had a great bayview room. The pool area for adults was terriffic, Sid makes a great pina colada... really, tried them all.. restaurants were all good at a decent price for a resort. location is excellant and staff was very helpful. We will be back....

Nice Kids Pool

February, 2004 - Nice Kids Pool - Small, quiet beach which was fine with me. I could read undisturbed. Friendly staff who did inquire, unprompted, about any particular needs. Rooms and furnishings had seen better days. No magnifying mirror or hairdryer on room. Food was better than average. Manatees came to the dock - a real treat for a New Englander.

Great for the price!

We stayed at the resort and were pleased with the service and quality.
We arrived late and were still greeted, helped with our luggage etc. We only ate breakfast at the resort but the staff was friendly, and the food was good. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The resort could use a few upgrades but all and all we enjoyed our stay.

Worst Hotel Ever

by TripAdvisor Member FirstTravellerLondon

We had the misfortune of staying at the Westin in Key Largo on March 10th 2004. The hotel is way below the standard one would expect from a Westin hotel. The property itself is very 1960's in style and has no character whatsoever. The rooms are in a desperate need of updating.
Although they have the "heavenly beds", the bathrooms were absolutely appalling - you'd get a much better room at the Day's Inn for a fraction of the price. The railing on the balcony felt very unsafe and just about the fall off at anytime. The two swimming pools are tiny, surrounded by tall trees so only a small part of the pools actually get any sunlight unless you're there at mid-day. You have to walk across a large parking-lot to get to the pools. There is also a terrible shortage of sunbeds at the pool area - we counted 27 sunbeds in total (considering the hotel has 240 rooms!). Beach is tiny and full of seaweed. The so called fitness center is a joke - I have seen better looking gyms in two star hotels in Russia. The Holiday Inn would be better anytime.

Westin should be ashamed

The Westin was a big disappointment. For my first trip to the keys - I was looking for an upscale property where I could just relax and enjoy the luxury of a hotel that I spent $350 a night of hard earned money on. We had a "jacuzzi suite" that was pretty nice as far as suites go. It was large and had a huge balcony with fully opening doors. Unfortunately, we were on level 3, and had absolutely no view of the water and the beach past the huge trees that they have let grow so wild and tall, they are now obstructing the entire view of all on this section of the hotel. What a disappointment! The restaurants are all at the far left end of the hotel - a long, uneventful walk, with little or no signage as to finding them. The front desk personnel are horrible. Most hotels I stay in for this price range go out of there way to be courteous, describing the amenities, etc. of the hotel. My girl just rang me up, said here is your key - and that was it! I guess repeat business is not in their mindset - because I will never come back, that's for sure. The parking valet was more help than anyone. As for the pools -yes, I agree with other posters - horrible. They have an "adult" pool, and a kids pool - both with 3rd rate furniture - plastic jobs from K-mart. I was told that the only reason they have seperate pools is because many of the guests here are from Europe and don't believe in sunbathing with clothes on - though I didn't witness any fat topless English women this trip. And you had to walk across the parking lot to get to these pools - with road noise from the main road in the Keys right behind the trees! Thank goodness I started my trip here - only spent one night - and enjoyed my remaining vacation in the Bahamas - Key Largo and the Westin were a big letdown.

Actually a pretty nice place......

by TripAdvisor Member Karen53Bristol

Was a bit panicked after reading some of the reviews of the Westin but found it to be a nice hotel for the price. Would have liked to rate it above average but for a Westin, unfortunately it wasn't. But, it surely wasn't as bad as some of the recent reviews. We had a bayview room and a very comfortable bed. One of the closet doors was hard to move but I expect the salt air contributed to that. Only real complaints are about the HARD plastic chairs on the beach-grab an extra towel for your tailbone- and the thin walls - we had a room with a door that could connect us to the next room where we could hear every whine and complaint of the children in there. Didn't eat on the property but really enjoyed Harriet's for breakfast, Snapper's, The Fish House, and Hobo's. For those who complain about the price-check out some discount sites or call the hotel GM and negotiate. We paid $190/nite for a bay view room in high season.

VERY nice place, Family Oriented, Nice Rooms...

We stayed at the Westin 1 night. We wished we had found it earlier and stayed for 2 or 3 nights. We payed approx $250 for a weekend rate, last minute, over the phone. We got a room on the top floor overlooking the trees and the water with King. Very pretty. The room was nice and clean. Very above average. The AC worked great. The staff was exceptional. They even allowed us to check-in early (10am). IT IS EXPENSIVE TO STAY THERE! Food is NOT cheap, but its very good. 1 beer and 1 Pina Colada was about $15 with tip. 2 Pina Colada's by the pool were $17+ with tip. Yikes! They have a nice little beach area with all kinds of rentals. A nice pier you can watch the sunset's on. 2 pools: A family pool and an adult pool with a bar + food. Very well maintained resort. Nicest place in Key Largo.

Just Plain Bad!

by TripAdvisor Member catfan3333

Horrible! My husband and I went for a weekend get-away. The view from the room was very nice, but that's where the positives end! Room smelled like urine (yes, you read that correctly), bed sheets were ripped, the hot tub/jacuzzi was closed for health code type issues, the pool was extremely small (although it was nice to have an "adults only" side of the pool), you had to walk through a parking lot to get to the pool, the beach was small and crowded with broken chairs strewn wherever people left them.... Definitely low cost, but if you're expecting anything even close to Westin quality (or even a Sheraton for that matter) - GO ELSEWHERE!

get a room with a view!

We stayed here for a few nights on our honeymoon last September. As it was our honeymoon, we were "upgraded" to a room with a balcony opening onto the private beach, which was lovely. Not sure my review would be so good though if we hadn't been upgraded. The food was good but expensive, the private beach really pretty but the swimming pool not so enticing (in the middle of the car park). Good watersports from the private beach (again expensive!)

South Florida/Keys

by Shadybeach

We are traveling to South Florida,end of May, early June. My husband, 13 year old daughter and my mother and me! We are looking for a relaxing beautiful beach resort that doesn't break the bank. We work hard so we want to relax!
I went to Key Largo with my mother last year and we stayed at the Sheraton Key Largo, really nice but quite pricy. I would like something clean, comfortable where you can just walk out to the beach. We don't need night life, just relaxation. What do you experts think? Keys, Captiva, South Seas? We have family in Fort Lauderdale that we will also visit for a few days. I'm a corporate travel agent who doesn't have much leisure experience, I'm coming to the experts:)
Thanks so much!

RE: South Florida/Keys

by Foundryman1

I don't think South Seas is re-opened since Hurricane Charly.Try Tween-waters on Captiva-I used to work there It's nice.Sanibel and Captiva are much mellower than the keys.Try renting a house on Upper captiva if you want some solitude-CR

by jackcd

we love so seas on captiva and i think it is open now but very expensive. tween waters is real good and might have some 1 br deals. check the sanibel chamber. should be lots of reasonable rentals at that time of year

by vanderlust

One thing to realize is that you will have a hard time finding beach in the Keys. There is very little sand to be found south of Miami. You can find nice relaxing waterfront but not much that can be described as beach.

by catalysta

Teen Waters is lovely and could be a good choice for you. Email a VTer called "tropicdiver" for in-depth info anywhere on the Gulf Coast, especially around the Ft. Myers greater area. Although he's in Texas now, he used to be our main SoFla guru on VT.

Another great option would be Naples, which has a lovely and very LONG stretch of soft white sand beach which runs for miles. You can often get a good value rate at the Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club, a very nice older hotel right on the beach that is in a pretty convenient location. If you want more Naples info, I've got a pretty extensive page about it, with reviews & photos of several hotels in that area: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Florida/Naples-763800/TravelGuide-Naples.html

by Fullmoonfever

The keys dont have a lot of beaches, but it does have some. there are a couple of state parks that have a beach amd key west has a great big beach on the south east side but they are not huge like in the rest of florida. And there are some out of the way hotels that are small family owned places. Just type in florida keys and there should be links to them. I have been to florida many times and been all over and the kets are still my fav place...I like the drive...key west and the whole experience. Naples is nice..great beach too.

Comments