Key Largo Resort at Manatee Bay

Hampton Inn Key Largo
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Key Largo Resort at Manatee Bay

HAD A GREAT STAY!!!!

Stayed at the HoJo in Key Largo in January 2005 with my husband and 1 1/2 yr old. We found the place to be very nice. The rooms were very clean. They provided clean sheets and towels promptly. They even had a crib for the baby. Our tv had a little static and they fixed it immediately. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. We extended our stay cause we enjoyed ourselves so much. The location is great. My hubby scuba dives and it was close to everything. Pool was always clean. They have a breakfast buffet for a great price. Area restaurants are not expensive at all. Beach area was small but very nice. Manatees swim right up to you. Had no complaints about this hotel at all. I don't know why others complained - we stayed 9 nights and had a ball. Definitely would recommend. The prices were extremely affordable and worth it.

Awesome

Can't recommend highly enough if you're just looking for a nice, quiet getaway. The sunset was amazing... my fiancee and I sat under a palm tree and watched the sun slowly go down as we enjoyed drinks from the tiki bar. Absolutely beautiful. The room was clean and came equipped with a mini-fridge and a microwave. The price was great for the area... highly recommend!

Howard Johnsons is fine for what it is, but it is not a resort.

Howard Johnsons on Key Largo is a fine place to take a family. It is perfectly sufficient if you do not plan to spend much time at the hotel. It calls itself a resort and that is a bit of a stretch. It does have a pool. It does have a small bit of waterfront, but to call it a beach is a gross exaggeration. There is a vendor on site who does scuba instruction, rents beach stuff and sells activities like snorkel trips. Does that make it a resort? Not in my book. But the beds were fine. The room was clean. It could use a little cosmetic attention. The breakfast buffet did have lovely fruit and it was otherwise OK. So much of Key Largo is so overpriced that in the end this motel is reasonable for what it is.

Not a Resort and too expensive

The hotel is dingy and dirty. Our room, for which we paid $127/night, was dark. The grounds were ugly, although there was a pool that children enjoyed. The bar was a weak little effort and only breakfast was available in the restaurant.

This is not a Resort.

Don't be fooled by the proximity to Pennekamp State Park. You'll still need to drive to the park, so you might as well stay at another place that's nicer and farther away. Indeed, for half the price, you might consider staying in Florida City or Homestead.

Avoid this property. There are much nicer places to stay in Key Largo or nearby.

Just Fine

We just came home from the keys on March 16,05Nice place to stay if your looking for a place to sleep. Breakfast was fine the staff treated us ok even though they lost our reservation. The tiki bar staff was wonderfull , but we stayed there long enough to sleep and traveled around every day. It was just what we were looking for in a hotel and we had a great view of the bay....

An absolute dump

The web shots of the hotel must have been taken when the place opened 30 years ago. The carpet was filthy. None of the locks worked to the building. The fridge was frozen and did not work until I defrosted it. The sliding glass door did not have a lock on it. The only thing new in the place was a safe and they charge you $3.79 for it whether you use it or not. The beach area was not kept up. It could have been nice but they are just sucking as much money out of it as possible.

Resort? What Resort?

by TripAdvisor Member timman19

Avoid this place! My wife and I stayed here for one night on our way to Key West.

We were greeted by trash all over the parking lot. The person at check-in was not very friendly and seemed flustered when we said we had a reservation. Our room was okay and the bed was fine but the rooms in general need work.

This is not a resort! It is really a motel. There is no pool and only a tiny bit of waterfront. Whoever tagged this place as a "Resort" should be fired.

Anyway, the hotel was a bit noisy at night and it finally quited down around midnight. Our room needed work and there were water leak stains in our ceiling. The bathroom was clean but tiles were missing and the water pressure weak.

The following morning, we decided to go for the all you can eat breakfast buffet as it was dirt cheap. The food was fine but the service was awful. The place was horribly understaffed and the manger either didn't care or was unable to deal with it.

Instead of assigning people to specific tasks (i.e. one person stock the buffet, someone take orders, someone to deliver non-buffet orders, etc.) he had each staff member doing a little bit of everything. Even the dishwasher showed up with food orders! We were finally served after waiting for around 15 minutes just to order the buffet!

Luciklly, we stayed only one night but would recommend that anyone who thinks about staying here should try eslewhere. Avoid!

Just a Place to Stay

All the reviews you read are unfortunately pretty accurate. I stayed here only 1 night on my way back from Key West. We chose it because it had a bar on the premises so we wouldn't have to drive after we landed. The bar was ridiculous. They did not have anything we asked for and ran out of Bud and Bud Light! They did not offer any food and when asked about take out in the area the bartender couldn't be bothered. Although, an hour later she was eating wings from somewhere! I would recommend bringing your own cooler and sitting by the pool. No restroom at the bar either. You have to walk back to your room.

The rooms are adequate to sleep. We asked to change when they gave us a view of the parking lot and the hotel was empty. After we moved we like it better. The staff is very complacent. They don't care if you are there or not. Didn't eat breakfast there. Chose to go to Tavenier the to Copper Kettle (about 5 miles south) for a fabulous breakfast.

The beach area is nice for a short visit. Place to watch the sunset. I think they may accept pets too which could account for the not so tidy place.

Believe it or not I have reservations for Oct 2005 for me and 5 friends. The price is right for a "stop over" before Key West and a place to drop the truck/trailer to ride the motorcycles to Key West for Fantasy Fest. This is the best rate in the area during the special events.

I would stay somewhere else if I were planning to spend any time at all at the hotel. I am hoping for some changes and will call and ask them to stock the damned bar! Do try the Copper Kettle for a meal. You won't be sorry.

Shouldn't be allowed to use the Howard Johnson name

by TripAdvisor Member Eur0peTraveler

I don't know whether to laugh or cry as I write this review. Here it goes.....As I was checking us in (3 rooms total), my husband sat down in the lobby on a chair that looked much cleaner than the couch, but fell over as soon as he did b/c it was broken. Okay, the part about him falling is funny, but the broken, dirty furniture isn't.

We walked to our 2nd floor room on dirty stained carpet. Upon opening the door of each room, we were hit with an odor. I guess musty would be the best way to describe it. We decided to open the sliding glass door onto the balcony to let in some fresh air while we went to dinner. After dinner we check out the tiki bar which turned out to be a joke. It was manned with the most sarcastic, rude bartender I have ever met. We had one drink and went back to our rooms. The rooms didn't smell much better either.

My husband and I went to the lobby to ask for a late check-out the next day and stood at the front desk for 5 minutes (literally.......I timed it) waiting for someone to show up. They never did; we just gave up. I called the next morning to ask for a late check-out to be told that I should have requested it the night before. You can imagine my frustration.

Also, our air conditioner did this all night........on for a minute, off for a minute, on for a minute, off for a minute. No matter what setting we used, it continued to cycle like that.

Although this didn't affect us directly, the wireless internet service only half way works. While we were waiting in the lobby (for the 5 minutes) we talked with a gentleman who had been trying for the last two days to get internet access in the lobby to no avail.

My advice is not to stay here. There is a lovely little place up the road a bit called Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort which I believe to be much better.

Key Largo, Florida Keys

by al_mary

"Key Largo - Dive Capital Of The World"

Key Largo, the northernmost island of the Florida Keys island
chain, lies only an hour's drive from South Florida's two major
airports ...... yet it is a world away.

As you look at the tropical hardwoods, the winding creeks, and
the stunning coral formations, it is no wonder Hollywood chose
to film scenes from the movies "PT 109" and "Key Largo" here.

It is also home to the "African Queen Boat"
(see tips - Things To Do)

Key Largo is sandwiched between the watery wilderness of the
Everglades National Park to the west and the fish-covered coral
formations of N. America's only living coral barrier reef to the east.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Ramada Key Largo Resort and Marina"

Click On Picture to Enlarge

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Ramada Key Largo Resort and Marina"

Click On Picture to Enlarge

Brother and Sister-in-law SnorklingBrother and Sister-in-law Snorkling

dolphin covedolphin cove

Boat from on Golden PondBoat from on Golden Pond

Underwater JesusUnderwater Jesus

Dolphin Therapy

by michaelayne

We are thinking of Dolphin Therapy for our daughter. There are so many to choose from but we have narrowed the choice down to Florida. Does anyone know of the Island Dolphin Care? Any experience? We know dophin therapy is not magic cure. We are taking it as a holiday and hoping the little one will have a great time with the dolphins. We found Dolphin human therapy on web as well. Any idean which one is the best? Also need some advice on accomodations? We looked at trip advisors but it is quite different posting. We quite like Ocean Pointe suites but some posting at Trip advisors said it was quite dirty an the pool wasn't nice. The most important thing to us is cleaniness . Thanks for any suggestion.

by PeaceJoySmile

1. try Key Largo visitors center (Chamber of Commerce).
2. try the Hampton Inn there.

by PeaceJoySmile

here is the place which our south florida paper wrote about and recommended.
they do have child therapy.
it is on key largo.
their dolphins stayed even when they had a chance to swim out during the flooding from hurricance last october.
i like that it is recommended and also that the dolphins are happy there :)

by PeaceJoySmile

if cost is not a problem, there are a couple outstanding luxury hotels on key largo. i would talk to the chamber of commerce. enjoy

by Homanded

Sorry if it's taken awhile to get an answer to your posting and I'm hoping I'm not too late.
I've been trying to research for you through a good client of mine who is involved in the program of dolphin therapy for Special Needs adults.
Here are a few numbers:

Dolphin Research= MM 59 Bayside (305) 289-1121

Dolphins Plus =Key Largo (305 ) 451- 1993

Theater of the Sea= MM 84.5 Bayside (305) 664-2431

Don't forget to dial 1 first if necessary!

Here are a few helpful links:

I hope this helps. If you should have additional need of information, don't hesitate to Email me at either VT Email or HOMANDED@aol.com

RE: RE: Dolphin Therapy

by michaelayne

Thanks for all the replies. We now narrowed down to Island Dolphin Care or the Dolphin Cove. We are not sure whether we can afford Dolphin Cove because it is a 2 week programme. We can do 1 week programme at Island Dolphin Care.

Thanks again. We are getting so excited ................

Re: Dolphin Therapy

by michaelayne

Just to let you all know that we have now returned from our recent trip to Key Largo and had swam with the dolphins. Its such a wonderful experience. We have updated our homepage and tips on florida. Check them out and rate the tips.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Comments