9785 Overseas Hwy, , Florida, 33037, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Rock Reef Resort

good experence

the size of the room was smaller than expected, but the staff was friendly. We liked the small beach, in genral it was pretty laid back. date of visit 7-11-05 @ 7-14-05 two seperate days.

Super-Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Marvella

The Rock Reef was exactly what my husband and I were looking for. We stayed in the smallest, simplest room that was very clean and comfortable. The clean hot-tub was just outside our door. We were able to lock our kayaks up in a convenient location to enjoy every morning. Their largish beach is beautiful and calm, and we were able to do a bit of snorkling; we saw barricuda, a stingray, striped fish of some sort, sponges and more. Sunsets on their pier were remarkable. The hosts are friendly and helpful.

In summary, a very good experience at a fair price. Can't wait to return!

Interesting, but....

I actually stayed at this resort several years ago. It has a lot of rustic charm, but there are drawbacks...hopefully some have been corrected. The grounds are great. You think you may be on a Pacific atoll, with coco and banana palms surrounding you. The first room I was shown was on the ground floor, very cramped and oppressive. I requested to be moved to an upstairs room, and the woman at the desk said I could move the next day after a guest checked out and the room was cleaned. So, I roamed the grounds and decided to take one of the paddle boats out. It was a rather windy day, with some sprinkles of rain, but that was fine. I decided to stay close to shore, about 10 yard away, but the wind was blowing me further out (bayside, fortunately). One of the paddles was broken, so it was useless for me to try to paddle. I was being blown further and further out, finally calling to a young man who stood on a nearby dock. He gave me a big shrup and said "What do you want me to do?" I was blown further out and realizing my predicament, I began to cry and call for help. Fortunately, a family was out in a fishing boat and their daughter alerted them to my distress. They sailed over, pulled me aboard and towed me back to the hotel. When I notified the manager she said, "We would have come and got you eventually..." After that, I had a pretty good time checking out local restaurants and driving down to Key West. The upstairs room was okay, and I met some nice people from England enjoying a glass of wine and the sunset. Moral: stay away from paddle boats at these small mom and pop resorts!!!

A Romantic, Private Getaway

My boyfriend and I just got back from Key largo a few days ago, and we wished we could have stayed longer. Rock Reef Resort is very accessible location-wise, yet it remains quiet, private and secluded. The grounds are kept up nicely, the staff is super-friendly, and the bayside view is gorgeous.

They had a paddle boat that was free to take out. We were told that Manatees sometimes swim in these waters around dusk and dawn, and they will sometimes come right up to the boat to make contact. There had been a sighting of a mother and baby two days before we arrived. We eagerly set out at dusk to see if they'd come. Unfortunately, they didn't. However, we got to see a glorious sunset, right on the water. It was so peaceful, personal, and romantic. We are definitely coming back!

Oops...

by TripAdvisor Member jparks2007

Rock Reef Resort was not at all what I expected. After a pleasant, cordial greeting from the woman in the lobby I was looking forward to a nice quiet place to spend the evening after driving from Ft. Myers. The room was nice, 2 beds, tv & small refrigerator - but that's where the pleasantness stopped. The bathroom was tiny, barely enough room to maneuver into the shower from between the sink & toilet, nearly impossible to keep your bathroom necessities stored along w/your clothes, towels, etc. The worst of all was that the room I stayed in faced the highway - which you could hear all night long; that was when the neighbors weren't shreking; apparently the walls are made of thin paper. The amenities are weak at best; a small dock, bbq area with some chairs & a couple of hammocks, no beach, no pool and a nasty old hot tub with a "hazard caustic materials" sign attached to it. Actually, as it turned out...Rock Reef Resort was as lack luster as Key Largo! I most certainly will not be returning to R.R.R. nor Key Largo!

Peace and quiet at Rock Reef

by TripAdvisor Member Timetraveller49

We had an fantastic, peaceful three days at Rock Reef Resort. Our room was clean and comfortable; the bathroom was a little small, but adequate; however it is the beautiful grounds which are the high point at Rock Reef. At first we were disappointed to find there was no pool, but the tropical plants and bird life more than made up for this. Not the place to go if you have children though. I think they would be easily bored, as there is little for them to do.

Pretty nice family-owned place

by TripAdvisor Member NiceGuy6

Pretty nice place. I got here around 11pm and my key was waiting in my room, as promised (as the office had closed). I "checked in" the next morning and then spent the next three days diving at a place up the road. This place was nice - the room was pretty big, they had a big refrig for use, a good TV with alot of channels, and a decent, although small, bathroom. It was kept very clean while I was there. This is definatly the kind of room that you use as a home base, not a place you spend your days in (why would you come to Key Largo to do that?)

The staff was nice the limited amount of time I interacted with them. I didn't spend any time on the grounds, so I can't speak to that. I did go right after a big hurricane hit the Keys. A couple days before my trip I called down to make sure they were open and to see about the local diving scene, as I was unsure if diving was still going on and couldn't contract the outfitter I had a reservation with. They tracked them down and verified that all was well. Nice service.

This place was a good little hideaway on Key Largo. It's definatly a small, private, place and not a big hotel chain. It moves on Key Largo time and that's wonderful.

A great place if you want to go Kayaking or want a day of relaxation ..

..by the bay.

When you go to the Keys, Rock Reef Resort stands out as a small village-type community with beautiful grounds and a sandy beach. The rooms we enjoyed most were the ones right near the bay. With two standard beds and a small bath, there was plenty of room for two to four people to stretch out, especially considering that you will probably want to enjoy the great outdoor accomodations. The kitchen is equipped so that you don't have to bring anything with you except your bathing suits and food.

A short walk and you're at the waters edge. The grounds have beautiful landscaping and the owner must be expert in Bonsai. There is a section on the grounds where you will find many different types he has grown.

We live in Miami and we enjoyed taking along our kayaks. Kayaking the islands off the property was an interesting experience. The owners and clerks were always cordial and did all they could to make our stay comfortable and interesting.

After two stays this year, we will definitely return to Rock Reef Resort in Key Largo, which, by the way, is a great get-a-way place.

Always a pleasure to stay here

by TripAdvisor Member 2Lyfe

This is the fourth year we have enjoyed staying at the Rock Reef Resort. It's pure Keys in the decor, the staff, etc. We enjoyed each and every sunset on the dock under the chicki hut. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with different colors of bouganvilla (sp) and statues. The rooms are clean and comfortablly furnished.

Happy Fishing

We found Rock Reef Resort to be very comfortable. It is very important to me that the rooms are clean. The rooms here were very clean. They have maid service daily. Some rooms have a kitchen. The kitchen is adequately stocked with everything you need to cook simple meals. The resort grounds are kept well. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a small beach area with plenty of chairs, and a beautiful deck with a tiki tent to house you from the sun. You have a beautiful view of the bay and sunset in the evenings. There is a cleaning station for your catch of the day. We hope to go back to stay again.

Comments