534 Eaton Street, , Florida, 33040, United States
Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Artist House

Very charming

by TripAdvisor Member kristin_n_rob

We stayed at the Artist House this past summer as we completed our SCUBA certification. The innkeeper and staff were wonderful but we did not see too much of them. We did see them each morning preparing the continental breakfast in the kitchen but usually we were not arriving back until long after they had left.

The room we stayed in was in the back with its own enterance. It was very clean and cozy.

We never used the soaking pool, probably because we spent the entire time at the dive school and out on a boat.

We will certainly stay here again if we visit Key West.

Beautiful and Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member jmacMaritimer

We spent a night in the Garden/Library room. It was very clean, very comfortable, with good water pressure in the shower, and the staff were friendly and helpful. You have to walk a very short distance to get to the parking lot, but they have enough parking for all their rooms, which certainly isn't the case at all accomodations in Key West.
They have a beautiful little courtyard in the back with a hot tub, and a couple of tables to sit and read or eat breakfast.
It's in a great location, practically right next to downtown, but pretty quiet.
It's also the original home of Key West's most famous supernatural entity, Robert the doll, but we weren't bothered by any ghosties or ghoulies during our stay.
If I was dead, I'd definitely haunt this house. This is a great place if you're into old Victorian houses and antiques. My tongue was practically hanging out of my mouth the first half hour we were there.
I would absolutely recommend this inn to anyone.

Very Romantic Trip

by TripAdvisor Member beyondthepalace

Stayed there in September just for one night as part of a quick trip away from work. We had the entire house to ourselves!!! The owner was nice enough to give us an upgrade to the best room on the lower level. Beautiful quiet pool and real simple but ample breakfast in the morning.
The resort is only one and a half blocks away from Duval Street. Close enough to "crawl" back home to but far enough that you do not hear any street noise.
Rumor is the owners are near selling this property. Hopefully the new owners will keep it a B & B!

So disapointed

by TripAdvisor Member l0vel0ve

After taking the ghost tours during previous visits to Key West I was intrigued by the idea of staying in a haunted bed and breakfast! I planned the trip a year in advance with my boyfriend at the time. We looked up the artist house's personal website and picked what looked like a beautiful room! Upon arrival the owner was not there to greet us. Instead she left a key for us which I felt was rather unprofessional. The property was runned down and our room looked NOTHING like the room we picked online with completely different furniture and layout! The bathroom was so old and grimey and it took a few minutes to get the water running. We went outside into the poorly tended garden that surrounded a dirty pool that we could not possibly swim in. To add to the slew of things we were disappointed by the 'continental breakfast' offered every morning consisted only of a bagel and fruit juice. The worst was only the morning we were to leave we were awoken by the maid banging on our door thirty minutes before check out time asking if we were going to leave. We could tell she had been coaxed to do this by the owner standing close by her outside. I have never felt so unwelcome by a hotel or bed and breakfast. It is absolutely not worth the money to stay here. I would recomend the Pier House down the street anyday. What was once a beautiful historical spot is now a joke and it's a shame.

Romantic and Quaint Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member nafraf

My husband and I stayed at the Artist house for our anniversary. we have been to the keys and always stayed in one of the bigger hotels. My husband surprised me by choosing a smaller bed and breakfast to be different!

The artist house was so quaint and a really different waty to experience Key West. We spent our first night in the Turret suite. This suite was really cute and had a loft in the upper part of the bedroom which was great to take naps in and just relax. The Turret suite also had a huge wrap around patio.

The second night we moved to the Anne suite which was gorgeous. It was smaller than the Turret Suite, but much nicer. It had beautiful hard wood floors and the bathroom was gorgeous as well.

The owner and the manager Becky were great and really nice people. They were really helpful and made you feel very welcome.

I highly reccommend the Artist House!

Great Bed & Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member BobandHolly

The Artist House Bed & Breakfast was a complete delight. The Antique furnishings were very much at home in this Victorian Home. A large king size bed was just so comfortable, we had force ourselves out, to take in the local attractions. The location just down a block from Duval Street was very convenient to shopping, dining and entertainment.
We wished we could have stayed longer..............
Great to be in Key West in February !

Anniversary Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Babe32506

We were fortunate enough to stumble upon the Artist House. We were on our way to the Keys without any hotel reservations. We stopped at a visitors center and found out that a room at the Artist HOuse was available and we booked it on the spot. We were pleasantly surprised at the ambiance of this beautiful mansion. Although our room was a bit on the small size, it didn't matter. The mansion itself was very well kept as were the grounds around it. The hostess was especially friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our breakfast in the gardens conversing with the other guests. The proximity to Duval Street and the other tourist spots made everything within walking distance. It was an excellent experience and we will definitely stay there again when we visit Key West.

Lovely place to be

by TripAdvisor Member Konheads

We read some of the old reviews here and in case they might have been correct years ago, they do not match the current status of the artist house at all, it was a great place to stay. Arriving with the need to relax we found the place for this. We intended to stay 2 days but we extended to 5 because it was so nice. We had the chance to see other rooms as well and they had nice old style furniture that gave a very special atmosphere, and all rooms are well maintained and clean. In the garden full of palm trees we found a big jacuzzi that made us staying in it each day for quite some time. Management and stuff were present and very nice and service oriented. We also enjoyed that it the location was ideal, quietly, but in just 5 mins of walking you are in the middle of the party and shopping mile of Key West. For our next stay in Key West the Artist House will be the first choice for sure!

charm

by TripAdvisor Member daylate

This place was great! We extended our stay in Key West by two days and needed a place to stay. We had walked past the Artist House several times and stopped to see if they had rooms for the two nights we needed. They gave us a great rate from what we had seen on line. The rooms were large and beautifully decorated. The house was nice and neat both inside and out. There is a hot tub and outdoor seating area. Continal breakfast is servered with the Kitchen open for early risers to have coffee or tea. The host Becky is very helpful and friendly. Location was great, about two blocks from Duval St. We really enjoyed our stay it was the best nights we had in Key West. We loved the place and will go back next time we visit. It is for sale..We don't know if things would change or not. So if your going to Key West soon plan to stay here.

Picture perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member 123smile

Please pick The Artist House...you'll be glad you did! I had a wonderful experience. If I get the opportunity, I'll return year after year! Becky and her staff made me feel like a member of the family. The house is clean, charming, and each room is unique. It's located on a side street in the middle of Key West. It's quiet while you're relaxing at the house, but a two minute walk will have you in the middle of the action of the famous Duval Street. It's a great place to stay...but it's very hard to leave!! Enjoy!

SunsetSunset

Fish food dispenser, Key WestFish food dispenser, Key West

Restaurant Blue Heaven, Key WestRestaurant Blue Heaven, Key West

Sunset DeckSunset Deck

HELPFUL HINT would be appreciated

by missydeb65

My husband & I are leaving for a cruise to Nassau, Cococay and Key West. My question & dillema is this: My husband suffers from "Secondary Multiple Sclerosis", and although he can still walk, his MS confines him from being able to walk miles & miles. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what (if any) type of transportation my husband & I could use for sight-seeing at Key West. I've heard they have horse & carriage, but that wouldn't quite work because I'd like to be able to stop, go into a store, etc. then get back onto something moveable. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all,
Deb

by Beausoleil

Find a horse and carriage and negotiate with him/her. You might be able to hire the carriage for the day. Then he would wait for you while you shop and sightsee. You probably should buy his meal as well as tip him/her. Unless they are incredibly busy, you should be able to find someone to do this and it would be fun.

Just a thought.

Enjoy your trip.

by goodfish

How about renting an electric mobility scooter? Looks like you can do that here:

by Peter_krynicki

There aren't any horse-drawn carriages in Key West. The closest is a pedicab which might be OK but they are very expensive. This is their web page but I notice it has been temporarily disabled. www.perfectpedicab.com

For you, I think the best bet is an electric car. Just as an example there is Pirate Scooters which also rents cars, and which has a 5.00 off coupon o the Reservations page. http://www.piratescooterrentals.com/

There are also the hop-on/hop-off Conch Trolley and the non-hop Conch train, each of which will give you a guided tour of the island, beginning very close to the port.

But you must remember that parking laws apply to whatever you rent that has an electic or gas motor.

Pjk

by goodfish

It isn't the recreational scooter i'm referring to but an electric chair (often called a scooter) for limited mobility purposes. These are medical vs recreational devices so shouldn't have any type of parking fees.

by ShortStopsTravel

Hi Deb,

Since your husband can not do a lot of walking, I'd suggest either the Old Town Trolley or CityView Trolley Tours. Do not sign up on your cruise - do so after you disembark. If you purchase onboard ship, your tour will only take you around the island, not allowing the on/off feature. Find the kiosk at Mallory Square and purchase your tickets there. Old Town Trolley has 12 stops. CityView has 8 stops. You can get off at any stop you like, explore the area, then hop back on a later trolley. The Conch Train does not have an on/off feature.

There are no horse/carriages in Key West.
Hope you have a great time.

• Sep 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM

HERE'S MY HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE JUST TRYING TO GET A ROOM BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY RUDE!

From: Marrero's Guest Mansion [mailto:info@marreros.com]
    Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 3:35 PM
    To: Holland, Ondrea
    Subject: RE: Availability

We have no operator…….thank you for your sarcasm. Please stay at the Banyan Tree.

Steve

From: Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:44 PM
    To: Marrero's Guest Mansion
    Subject: RE: Availability

As a matter of fact, never mind, I think I’ll just keep my reservation @ the Banyan Tree Resort.

P.S. Great customer service BTW, sarcasm duly noted, apparently you can’t be bothered to even answer your phone. Way to lure new business.

From: Marrero's Guest Mansion [mailto:info@marreros.com]
    Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:53 PM
    To: Holland, Ondrea
    Subject: RE: Availability

Sure…all you had to do was leave a message…we return them all.

Unfortunately, we are filled on the date that you want (as our website shows)

Steve

From: Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 9:37 AM
    To: info@marreros.com
    Subject: Availability

I’m desparately trying to find out if you have a room, preferably room 18, available on 10/12. I haven’t been able to get an answer @ the front desk for 3 days now. Can you please help?

Thanks,