Banana Bay Resort Key West

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

• Banana Bay Key West and Marathon

Our best friends live in Orlando, the wife is an art director for Disney. We decided to drive down for a week and it was off season, so we knew there wouldn't be a problem getting lodging. We stopped at the Marathon welcome center. They called Banana Bay/Marathon to arrange a room. When we got there I made sure we had lodging there for 5 nights so we could dive off Big Pine Key and then go to Banana Bay Key West after those 5 days. The next morning we were called and told we were only promised a room for 1 night. I am a doctor and not stupid. I went to the front desk and even told them who I spoke to the night before. They were very nasty, told me they never promised us a room and we had to check out. The place was very lovely, but I would never stay there again. We are avid divers and since that incident my Father bought us a home there for our vacations. I have never recommended nor will I ever again, and I have told anyone who is going there never to stay there either. Customer service is very important and as nice as the resort was, the staff was so rude that it makes the resort as bad as a seedy hotel.

• Good but away from the fun

This was a nicely kept place but it was at the very beginning of the key, so it was a decent distance from all the fun of Duvall Street. It was the sister hotel of Banana Bay in Marathon, where we stayed for the majority of our vacation (more on this later). Clean, but small, the hotel advertises a hot tub that was okay at best.

• drolkar's Profile Photo

BANANA BAY RESORT AND MARINA:...

BANANA BAY RESORT AND MARINA: located right on the Gulf of Mexico, it offers packages and has an outdoor pool and jacuzzi -- but be prepared for the fact that beaches are VERY small in the Keys (to the point of being nonexistent!)...

More about Banana Bay Resort Key West

We Loved Banana Bay

Banana Bay is not your large chain resort hotel - so if you are looking for typical resort tourist hotels, I'd stay someplace else. But if you are looking for a small, independently owned Florida hotel with great service, wonderful rooms, and a quiet atmosphere, stay at Banana Bay. The resort is on the main road leading to all things fun in the Keys. Convienently, the Bone Island Trolley stops right infront of the hotel every 20 minutes (or so, Key West time). The rooms are spacious, comfy, and quiet. The pool is warm and the perfect size to float in on the provided noodle floats. The Tiki Bar is great - the prices are decent and the drinks are tasty. Breakfast is also wonderful - bagels, cereal, coffee, juice, fruit and waffles. Which, after eating way too much for dinner, is just about the right amount of food. The best part is how quiet the hotel is. You can wander out to the sand and watch the sun go down and not hear a bunch of yelling or traffic. It was relaxing and wonderful. I highly recommend Banana Bay.

Banana-licious

If you are looking for a quiet, comfy place to stay with a delicious and selective continental breakfast then this is the place.. It is located right in the middle of town fairly close to everything and I loved being able to walk to the movies and some of the resturants and buffets in the area. The best means of transportation would be bicycle or the Bone Island Shuttle which stops right in front of the Banana Bay and runs until 11pm and it is reasonably priced for an all day ride ( I recommend if you are going to be in the area for three or more days, get the three day pass you save a few dollars). The room was beautiful the canopy bed and the refrigerator for all your take home goodies. Other than that I have to say Banana Bay gets my vote because it was beautiful, quiet, and a very clean place to stay.

Best kept secret in Key West!

Wow! We just loved Banana Bay. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was perfect-big and roomy with a great canopied bed! We overlooked the pool and it looked like we were on a deserted tropical island. It was so quiet and peaceful and relaxing. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone. Tucked back away from the hustle and bustle of Key West and a short shuttle ride, drive, or bike ride to Old Town, Banana Bay is a paradise for total relaxation!

Location will give this resort either a one or a five

by TripAdvisor Member JROE

Location, location, location.!!! Banana Bay's location will give it either a one or a five. You really need to know what you are looking for on your Key West vacation and that will allow you to decide if Banana Bay is for you.

Banana Bay is a mini oasis in the hustle bustle of Key West. Even though it's located on a busy highway, the grounds are beautiful and serene. There are lots of palm and banana trees, a very nice pool and a cute beach with cabanas and hammocks. The rooms are very nice. We had a canopied king size bed and the furniture was newish rattan. Breakfast was do it yourself waffles, bagels, cereal, fruit and included in the price. Staff were out of sight and neither a positive or a negative.

But Banana Bay wasn't for me. The reason you go to Key West is the scene, the architecture, the people, the shopping. The water and the beach do not play a big role here and if you are looking for this go elsewhere.

From Banana Bay you can't walk to anywhere except the Taco Bell across the street. The Street is a busy store lined one and I felt like I was in the suburbs of a big city. Downtown is a mile from Banana Bay, but it’s a long and not a scenic walk and then once you get there you need to walk some more. You can drive but parking is a problem and I think there is a shuttle, but no one at the resort told us about it. There are many charming small hotels and B and B in town. Southernmost Hotel on the Beach is at the top of Duvel Street and you get ocean views there. The Dewey House looked like a beautiful B and B and it was on the beach. From there you can walk anywhere, see the charming houses, stop for an ice cream, and people watch.

Having to get into the car and fight through the busy highway, really detracted from the charm of Key West for me. The resort was very nice and if I wasn't leaving the grounds I would rate it highly, but my advice is to stay in town.

Tropical sunsets, margaritas, relaxation & a wedding too!

We came to Banana Bay from the UK for the wedding of Kevin & Angela on June 18th 2004. Everyone was so friendly & made the day so special, nothing was too much trouble including dressing the bed for the honeymoon! It was a lovely ceremony, David made the wedding so intimate & personal, thank you. Seemed strange all dressed up whilst other guests donned swimsuits!

The setting is idilic, by the bay with beautiful sunsets & so tropical & private. We loved the pool, swam & froliced for ages in the hot tub whilst sipping the odd margarita or two! Our rooms overlooked the pool & we enjoyed the large canopied bed & generous breakfast whilst gazing out to sea. Wonderful place, kind & friendly staff, intimate & not intrusive, will be back again.

A Perfect Key West Vacation

If you are going to Key West for a quiet, relaxing vacation and you don't mind, or desire, a clothing optional resort, then Banana Bay is the only place to stay. The room with the king-size canopy bed is huge, and so tropical. You'll think you are on a carribbean island, which I guess you are. The pool area, with a small tiki bar, is idyllic in it's setting, totally surrounded by palm trees and flowered bushes. The staff is as good as they come. The resort is very centrally located on the island. Only about 2 miles from Duval Sreet. We walked that distance several times. There are nice wide sidewalks all the way. Additionally, there are nice restaurants and stores only a short walking distance from the hotel. We would recommend this hotel to all our friends, and in fact we are making a reservation for our daughter and her boyfriend for later this spring. We are making reservations ourselves for Fantasy Fest 2005.

PERFECTLY SERENE

My husband and I are about to embark on our third trip to Key West and we are as excited as the first time we went. Banana Bay all the way! For us it is a lovely retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the Duval St energy. We did not find the walk to town difficult or too long. In fact we welcomed the exercise and scenery, we tried taking a different route each day until we found one that goes right through the neighborhood, where locals still sweep their sidewalks and plant beautiful flowers which provide shade and the privacy they are so lacking with all of us visiting.
The rooms are a little musty, however that is what is to be expected of island living! I hope we are able to write that there have been some improvements to the breakfast when we get back. That is one thing for sure the last time we were there which really needed to be punched up. When we first went, the breakfast was pleasant, the last visit it was barely palatible. We discovered a retaurant which locals use. The name is Peppy's and it is the oldest in the keys. All original; it stands alone as far as american cuisine is concerned. We never had a bad meal there and went five out of seven days that we spent on the island.
For anyone who does not like to walk in the heat try the local Bone Island Bus it is not much money and you can purchase a pass for the week at the front desk which saves even more.

Spring Break

by ciceropig

I have been led to believe that Spring Break in Key West is the week of March 6th thru the 12th. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, I already have reservations at the Banana Bay on N. Roosevelt. How are the crowds if this is spring break week? Unbearable? How is traffic in and out of the Keys this week?I am assuming that Key West is to small to be that crowded? I will only be staying for two days to attend a wedding and then back to NC. The rest of the info on this site is quite detailed and appreciated. Thanks for any replies I can get.

RE: RE: Spring Break

by pulgaron

That's right. So the month of March is busy, but never unbearable. You'll survive. Besides, do you really have a choice?

RE: Spring Break

by grandmaR

Traffic in and out depends a bit on when Bike Week is in Daytona and also on the various Spring Breaks. Crowds also depend on when the cruise ships are in.

Key West is NOT too small to be crowded. Sometimes it is gridlock.

Comments