2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

BEST WESTERN Key Ambassador Resort Inn
Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• One and Done

Just returned from Key West and I would not stay at the Best Western Key Ambassador Resort Inn again. In fact I would gladly pay more money to stay someplace else. The main reason I am saying this is because of the grumpy front desk employees that couldn't even extend a "good morning" when entering their establishment. When a "good morning" was offered, what they mustered up was merely a grunt in response. The guy who drove the shuttle from the airport could teach them a thing or two in Customer Service. I have never encountered such grumpy people in a place that is supposed to be "paradise". The people at the front desk couldn't even return a smile and need serious training in Customer Service. The other reason I would not stay here again is the tiny ants/baby cockroaches that crawled all over the sink daily. I thought they were ants but after further inspection these things appeared to have two segments when ants have 3. YUCK! I hate bugs! The pool closed at 8 and that was the icing on the cake. One and done Best Western Key Ambassador Resort Inn. Never again. :(

I would not recommend this motel to anyone.

Unique Quality: The pool was nice but again...it closed at 8PM.

Directions: Very close to Key West airport.

• Price Gouging At It's Finest!

I have just moved to South Florida. So a weekend in Key West is just a few hours drive for my boyfriend & I. We went the weekend before Memorial weekend. Thinking we would miss the crowd. Wrong! The 5th annual Keys100 was being held. The motel added $75 to it's normal rate a night. So we paid $214 a night plus tax instead of $139 a night. And yes we had reservations. This is definitely a family oriented motel. Pool closes at 8pm. The amenities were poor quality. Sheets very thin. Blankets reeked. Gave maid $10 tip & asked for new one. Much better but wasn't fresh. However, worst feature by far motel is in direct flight path of airport. The planes are no more than 1000 feet overhead. So loud the windows shake. Starts around 5am & doesn't stop until 12am. The pool bartender was lazy, rude & insulting. The front desk & housekeeping staff were nice & helpful. My boyfriend & I will never return.

Unique Quality: The pool was large. Full of kids. Pet friendly rooms with all tile floors. Screened in porches/balconies.

Directions: US-1S & Roosevelt Blvd turn left. Away from downtown. Need a car.

• Beyond Expectations

Stayed for 3 days in July 2004. Wasn't sure what to expect because some of the other websites gave it so-so ratings, but we were very pleased with everything. The room was huge, included the fridge for pop and leftovers, had a private balcony. We were lucky enough to get a room where the balcony faced the wooded area behind the property, very quiet. But other rooms had the balcony facing the pool if that's your thing. Cleaning crew was very good, room was spotless every day. Shuttle bus picks you up right at the lobby, very convenient. Not beachfront, but you have a beautiful view in the morning.

Unique Quality: Beautifully landscaped pool area. Shuttle bus at the lobby. Staff was amazing; helpful and informative about what sights to see and what is too touristy and should be avoided. Breakfast is still continental, but many more choices than other places donut and coffee.

Directions: Northern end of the island

• allenkite's Profile Photo

Best Western Key Ambassador...

Very reasonable . . . Go to their web site

Unique Quality: Great pool with a view of the ocean . . . Located on the quiet side of the island . . . Large rooms . . . Comp breakfast that is more than you will expect . . . Poolside bar and grill with really good food . . . Small frig in each room . . . Best value on the island . . . A trolley comes by frequently all day and most of the evening that takes you anywhere you would want to go for about $4 a day, all day

More about Best Western Key Ambassador Resort Inn

Old Town Trolley Tours

by grandmaR

Of the three main trolley tours, this is the one that I have NOT taken. This appears to be slightly different from the Conch Train (the original tour) in that it allows 9 places where you can get on and off, and the Conch Train has only 2.

Old Town Trolley Tour
Regular Price.......... (Online Price)
Adult Ticket $29.......... ($26.10)
Child Ticket (4-12) $14.....( $12.60)
Children Under 4 FREE

Boarding Locations/Stops:

Stop #1: Mallory Square: (photo 2)

Stop #2: Key West Seaport:

Stop #3: Simonton Row at Greene Street:

Stop #4: Crowne Plaza La Concha:

Stop #5: Bahama Village: (photo 3)

Stop #6: Key West Welcome Center:

Stop #6A: Best Western Key Ambassador:

Stop #7: Casa Marina Resort:

Stop #8: Southernmost Trolley Stop: (photo 5)

Stop #9: Truval Village:

Stop #10: Angela Street depot on Duval Street: (photo 4)

The other tour vehicle - the Bone Island Shuttle is mostly between hotels and is a closed bus type vehicle if it is even still running.

Great Pool and Clean Rooms, excellent for families

The resort is home to the BEST pool in KW. The Tiki Bar is handy and not over priced for both drinks and food.( you charge to your room) The rooms were clean and large enough for us (2 adults, 2 kids and one baby in crib). The distance from downtown was not a concern we used our car one day and the shuttle the next. The pool is a nice retreat from the crowds and shopping! The front desk was helpful and supplied all the towels we needed for the pool. The proximity of the airport was not a problem, very few flights after 5pm. Would reccommend highly for your stay in the Keys..

our choice in KW

by TripAdvisor Member marcmag

If you are smart enough to use Trip Advisor, it should stand to reason that you would look at the map and see this hotel is on the far side of the island from Duval Street. Its a 10-minute drive or a trip on the shuttle. Of course, the location is one of the things we like about it. That and the oceanview room we get each time we are here.

Its amazing that people who have access to all this information still complain about the distance or the airport. With a Hyatt timeshare next door and a Doubletree around the corner, the location is fine. The airport sounds just remind me how lucky I am to have a great pool, a hot sun, a cold drink, a book to read and a loving woman -- instead of being on that plane. And its pretty quiet at night.

Our room is fine: we've had no maintainence or cleaning issues. A microwave and a bigger 'fridge would be welcome, with so many other hotels are raising the bar.

In the same way, the hotel needs to improve both its continental breakfast and its wireless access. Holiday Inn Express and Hampton inns both have better food and more choices that the limited offering here. And wireless access in the lobby and on one side of the pool also doesn't compare favorably with other hotels in the same range.

So, while we hope to see improvement next time in the areas above (keeping the rating from "excellent"), we also look forward to coming back next late-May. Its a great time to be in South Florida: highs in the mid-upper 80's, lows in the mid-upper 70's, off-peak rates and no hurricane worries.

We all loved it

There have been quite a few negative comments about this hotel. Too far from the town centre, aircraft noise, inadequate breakfasts, no beach etc. Don't worry! Smathers beach is only 2 minutes drive with free parking. The aircraft are generally small and not very noisy and don't fly at night.The breakfasts are cereal, toast, fresh fruit hot and cold drinks etc and were all we needed to start the day. The town centre is about 10 minutes drive, which we liked as we could return to the peace and quiet of our hotel at the end of the day.
The room we had was clean and plenty big enough for two adults and two older children, and had refrigerator and coffee making facilities. The Staff were all very friendly and helpfull. The pool area was lovely. Large pool with mature palms giving partial shade on the deck(needed this to cool off)and with a sea view. The Cheekie Hut served food and drink(not too expensive) for most of the day but closed at 8 pm. We would stay at this hotel again and consider it very good value for money.We would recommend it. Give it a try and judge for youself.

My favorite spot on the Island

I visit Key West Annually and have adopted the Key Ambassador as my home on the Island. I have stayed at three other hotels in the Key Ambassador's price range and have found the location and ammenities to be the best I have found. I have stayed here on four trips down to the Island since April 2002.

There is nothing like starting and ending your day on the Atlantic Ocean. The water is right across the street, where you can find a walking and bike path for that perfect stroll.

The pool, with its palm trees, is great. I do miss having a hot-tub, however.

The morning breakfasts are offered in a nice little room with a Keywester on hand to toast your bread, bagels, etc... Muffins are offered, too, as are a variety of juices, coffee and tea. You also get a copy of the Miami Herald delivered to your room to enjoy with breakfast.

My favorite part of the hotel is the fact that it's on the opposite side of the Island from the night life. I love to play on Duval Street, but at the end of the day its great to travel back to this quiet getaway and away from the hustle and bustle.

I already have my rooms booked for November!

Some Good & Some Bad

by TripAdvisor Member julienugent

I did not care for the location at all, The planes from some tour attraction goes by constantly and they are loud plus the planes from the nearby airport as well, It is loud enough that you can not talk on the cell when they pass and they keep going back and forth! So much for relaxing by the pool! Plus the location is really far from all the happening of Key West and Smathers Beach stinks- we could smell it from the street so we did not bother to check it out. It was very hot & humid when we were there and our Poolside room had a nice screened balcony but the air conditioner heated it up like an oven and we seamed to be blocked from any ocean breeze. The room was large & liked the large bathroom area and fit our family of 4 very comfortably but the room smelled bad we complained the next morning and was not so bad the next day after housekeeping came but then the air went out on our last night. The breakfast was fine and the kids loved the pool here the most. Lots of families from all over. There is not much to see or eat in the nearby area so we drove downtown a lot, parking can be a problem though! My parents were staying off Duval and enjoyed all the nearby attractions. I wished I would have stayed downtown too. For the $125 it was nice but not that nice.

Great place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member kirstenj

Hotel was all I expected for the price - clean and comfortable. Loved laying by the pool and using the wi-fi. Okay not that close to Duval St etc but so cheap you could get a cab.

No help in a hurricane

by TripAdvisor Member jillinnea

My boyfriend and I have been looking forward to our key west "dream vacation" for months now. some of the key ambassador was just fine. free breakfast was great, pool was beautiful, i didn't even mind the airplanes and the trek from duval street (i've stayed away from the action in the past too). however, on an entire island of the friendliest people you will ever meet, the key ambassador sticks out like a sore thumb. if you like customer service, friendliness, or even a smile from hotel staff, this is not the place for you. from checking in at the front desk to the breakfast room, the scowls on faces were endless. this comes after i raved to my boyfriend about how friendly and wonderful the island of key west was.

we spent the entire day of july 7th lounging by the pool, with absolutely no clue that the island was being evacuated because of hurricane dennis at that very moment. when we went up to our room around 5pm, we finally heard on the evening news that an immediate and manadatory evacuation was in effect. We went down to the office for guidance, since i have never been in this situation before and we were without a car or a way off the island. the desk staff just told us "if you leave now we won't charge you for tonight" and when asked if there was any other help they could give we just got a shrug and a blank stare. on our last night downtown, i even noticed that the youth hostel had posted notices on their patrons doors, but a resort like the key ambassador could not be bothered. i work in customer service and i can tell you that there is no such thing at the key ambassador. i'll be back to the doubletree grand key resort next time! smiles are all around over there!

Comments