Casa Marina Resort - The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Expedia.com Booking.com Waldorf.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• palla's Profile Photo

high expectations

I just want to tell everyone that they may arrive with high expectations because Waldorf Astoria is included in The name. But The Casa has changed corporate hands many times in The past decade. The hotel went through major renovations about 2 yrs ago. But The hotel doesn't maintain The amenities that any other Waldorf would.

• JotaJota's Profile Photo

Great Service

Spent two nights with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it. Location is very good, right on the beach and away from the main street. Beach, pools and related activities are all first class (unless you like running into the water). Service around the pools, beach and in general was outstanding. The only negative was the room. Although it was in the newer section, it was rather small and the AC did not remove the "feeling" of humidity.

Unique Quality: Location on the water

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Picture Perfect

My brother-in-law had his wedding here. My daughter was a bridesmaid so my husband took her to the wedding. I was flying to I didn't get there until the reception. Casa Marina has one of the best beaches on the island.

Unique Quality: Apparently weddings are a regular thing in Key West. My cousin got married at Ft. Taylor, and I've also seen people getting married (or at least having photos taken) on the beach opposite the Hyatt.

This is what their website says:

Allow our professional staff to meticulously plan every detail - from planning the ceremony to contracting a photographer, crafting the menu to hiring the entertainment. Select from over 22,600 square feet of indoor and outdoor space. For your once-in-a- lifetime event, make it truly unforgettable. Discover our extensive wedding services, including:

A total of 22,600 square feet of stunning indoor and outdoor venue options
    Onsite wedding coordination service
    Complimentary linen provided
    State-of-the-art audiovisual equipment
    Onsite catering

• Vigg's Profile Photo

Original Inn circa 1920s

If possible, stay in the original part of the hotel. While renovated, it still has charm. Great location, excellent accommodations and service, and sprawling luxe grounds.

Unique Quality: 1920s architecture; beautiful views; secluded.

• noidiotsplease's Profile Photo

Great historic beachfront hotel

Casa Marina Resort

If bed and breakfasts aren’t your style, the historic Casa Marina Resort is a great beachfront hotel located on the south end of the island. Located on the quieter side of the island, the resort features its own beach and pool area as well as luxurious amenities.

Directions: South shore of Key West

More about Casa Marina Resort - The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Great historic beachfront hotel

by noidiotsplease about Casa Marina Resort

Casa Marina Resort

historic hotel

by doug48 about Casa Marina Resort

the casa marina resort hotel is my favorite place to stay in key west. this elegant old hotel dates back to the 1920's. what i like about the casa marina is it's location. it is walking distance to smathers beach and the southern most point but far enough away from the party area of duval street. this property has a private beach and is an excellent place to relax in key west. the casa marina is owned by wyndam so you can expect all of the amenities of a first class resort hotel. expensive, and as with most hotels in the keys prices are much more expensive in the winter tourist season.

Under renovation

by keywest123 about Wyndham Casa Marina Resort

It's a nice location, however it's currently under renovation. Also the hotel next to it, The Reach is under major construction. Before you book your room, call the hotel directly & make sure you are AWAY from the construction. Both resort hotels will be wonderful when the renovations/construction are completed. Casa Marina is far more pricey than what is listed in many of these postings, especially for high season! Casa Marina has no Happy Hour at the bar, & it's $15.00 + tax for a hamburger. It is definitely not inexpensive, yet the location is nice. Two nice pools, good beach location, nice gift shop.

Casa Marina gets hesitant thumbs up

by TripAdvisor Member totalbroncofan

The Casa Marina has well appointed rooms. The house keeping was prompt and easy to work with. The view from the room was beautiful. They are still working on a refurb of the grounds so it wasn't done when we were there. The reason for the 4 and not 5 stars is because there was no one to greet us when we got there. They had us booked in the wrong room. The most important thing for me was my wife and daughter got a pedicure and a manicure it cost $175 and they weren't even told how much it would cost until they were finished. Apart from that it was a great place to stay and the house keeping manager was more that willing to help us with the room screw up. One thing I thought was great were the tarpon swimming in the lights around the pier. They ranged from 3 feet to as much as 6 feet in length and they were busy eating. All in all It was an enjoyable trip.

Hassles, Hassles, Hassle in Paradise, the Waldorf

by 4_Beach about Casa Marina Resort

When you rent a room in a hotel, you expect free access to the facility, to be able to come and go without impediment. You don’t expect a gang of thugs (two or more + uniformed police), that were not Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, to stop you at the hotel entrance and demand identification. Let me repeat, these were not hotel staff members, and actually fellow guest. After some time explaining that you are not a part of the private group that the ruffians are representing, you are grudgingly allowed to pass, only to repeat the process at the other end of the lobby where you need to exit to go to your room. There was no other entrance and egress available. After complaining to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West management, they were powerless, and cowed by this organization that had rented out a portion of the hotel. No one said anything about this group function on reservation or on check in or offered any explanation on check in that would have at least alerted me, a full paying guest, of potential issues. I did find a printed notice in my room that informed me that parts of the grounds and facility were rented out to a private party and would not be available.

When you rent a hotel room, you don’t expect to waste time coming and going, having to deal with non-hotel staff elements that treat you like you don’t belong since you are not one of their group and you don’t deserve to be poked, although inadvertently, with 2-way radio antennae, as you enter an exit a hotel. A shorter person would have likely lost an eye. It’s a free country, and to be accosted by individuals, non-Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, and identification demanded is just not what we are about in this country – wonder what the guest from outside the US were thinking?

After some thought, we wondered if the private function included individuals that needed such crowd control and a cadre of uniformed officers and were a little concerned for our safety. The Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff seemed to not be in control of their establishment. On further reflection, we think it is a responsibility of the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff to protect guest from this sort of assault by other guest of the hotel, they were woefully inadequate.

I can understand, and would support having a security detail for a private function to control access, but not to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West itself. I have, been to many private functions, where the function access was controlled. In fact, I attended one last month in Anaheim, at a Hilton property, where a former presidential candidate was behind me in line top check in. I don’t think he would have suffered this indignation that was going on at the Casa, simply because he was not a part of the same function that I was attending.

The AC thermostat did not function, it was either ice cold or off. However, we would stay again, the property is that good, if we had assurance that the access, entrance and egress would not be an issue.

In summary, call ahead to check that you will have full use of the facility, you might have a great time. The property is very good for a beach resort, the secluded beach, pool and hammocks are delightful. The food was good, and by Key West standards, in line as far as price. We went for relaxation that we achieved, between the hassles of leaving and entering the hotel.

Terrible experience at the Casa Marina

by kburnham about Wyndham Casa Marina Resort

Bring your hard hat and tool belt.
The Casa Marina is undergoing an extensive renovation throughout the property. This made the stay unpleasant, uncomfortable and unsafe.
The Casa Marina failed to disclose the conditions on their website, and failed to note that there was no wireless internet access, no business center, and intermittent hot water.
In order to get to my suite I was routed right through the middle of the construction zone, which was unsafe, with ladders and open cans of paint and solvent everywhere, and unpleasant with the heavy solvent odor.
I noticed when arriving at my suite that two of the three fire/emergency exits were gated off. The third exit which led to the street area was propped open 24hours so that workers could acces the building; which is nice for them but a security concern for me.
My ocean view consisted of a backhoe and a dumptruck, which started operation way too early in the morning for me.
I complained of the conditions and checked out after one night. I found out the next day that they had maintained a charge for the remaining three nights of my reservation, despite the fact that they had said there would be no additonal charges when I checked out.
So on top of everything else, the management of the Casa Marina are dishonest liars.
I travel extensively all over the world, and this was by far the most unpleasant and regretable hotel experience of my life.

Ken

Casa Marina - stay away

by kburnham about Casa Marina Resort

Bring your hard hat and tool belt.

Ken

best for families

by jean101 about Wyndham Casa Marina Resort

We have been traveling to key west every winter for years(since marriot owned this place) first without kids now with kids. We have stayed at many different locations on the key but trust me this is it for travel with kids to key west.
My advice with kids also is get tickets first thing at the bone island shuttle park your car and leave it parked. only place with a "beach" ( mind you it is a keys coral beach not one with waves) kids program- great pools- hot tub sunset view on beach, bone island shuttle stop, great food and for you with real young kids it is nice to eat dinner on the beach and let your child play in the sand right next to you happy as can be.

National Historic Registered

by grandmaR about Wyndham Casa Marina Resort

When we lived in Key West in 1966, this was the 'big' luxury hotel on the island (built in the 20s-30s and in the National Historic Register), and the only one with it's own beach. It still is the only one with any extensive private beach. It appears to have a nice pool in addition to the beach..

It is on the Hawk Channel/Atlantic Ocean side, and has 1100 feet of private beach just 'south' (west) of the West Martello Tower.

I have not stayed here.

There are two other hotels which are across the street from the manmade public beach on that side of the island, but you have to cross 4 lanes of Roosevelt Blvd to get there. The hotel is also close to Duval Street and across the island (widthwise) from the Mallory Square action. The Bone Island Shuttle or the other buses can get you down there pretty cheaply without the problem of parking once you are there.

casa marina resortcasa marina resort

THE BEACH AT CASA MARINA RESORTTHE BEACH AT CASA MARINA RESORT

Casa Marina beach from West Martello TowerCasa Marina beach from West Martello Tower

Southernmost Motel

by keyconfused

Is the Southernmost Motel a good choice for the first time visitor to Key West? Is the Southernmost on the Beach a better choice? Or, is there another hotel that would be best? I read another posting that mentioned the Wyndam. What is it like?

Re: Southernmost Motel

by grandmaR

The southern most stuff is on the other side of the island from the Mallory Square where the action is.

Re: Southernmost Motel

by SunTanBob

Duval Street/Mallory Square is pretty much the epicenter of the Key West action, the Mallory Square (sunset) end is also down by the marina where any snorkel trips, sunset cruises, etc. would depart from.

As such, I would think the first time Key West visitor would prefer to be closer that area. Like the Southernmost, the Wyndham Casa Marina is on the opposite end of Duval as Mallory Square. If that is your preference, however, the Casa Marina is pretty nice, has a nice pool and beach area but you are hammered with resort fees for it. The Southernmost is where we used to pack 12 dudes to a room for spring break in college, that is the extent of my knowledge on that location.

To me a stay at Key West isn't complete without a stay at a bed and breakfast. If you are looking for the true Key West experience, these are everywhere, usually within walking distance of Duval, Mallory, and all the restaurants, etc. so life is easy, you write your own ticket. I don't know of any on a beach, but they usually have a small pool and the beach is but a short drive/moped ride away. The Island City House is one in particular that has treated us well before.

Comments