Doubletree Grand Key Resort

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• RioRosie's Profile Photo

Good choice on Key West

I was a little skeptical about this hotel--at the other end of the Island from Duval Street and all the prime areas, but it proved to be a very good choice.
    There's a shuttle bus that runs from the hotel to Duval Street every hour until midnight. There are two downtown bus stops that are very convenient to restaurants, bars, sightseeing and shopping.
    The bus drivers were terrific--entertaining but also very helpful in finding restaurants.
    The hotel itself is lovely. I thought it was a brand-new hotel, but later learned that it's about 8 years old. Immaculately clean. Excellent service. Terrific pool.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

I guess we are spoiled by Sheraton

After a few years staying in the Sheraton in Key West we decided to try this slightly more expensive Hilton chain hotel. To us it really was a dissapointment the first room had a bath with rust in it and the ceiling in the room was starting to chip. But that wasn't the biggest dissappointment. Since the hotel was more expensive then we where used to we hoped for a larger room. Instead we got one of the smallest room we had during our trip. The oversized workdesk as advertized on their website wasn't in our room. Instead of that a packed table filled with leaflets and information.

I did inform if they had larger rooms available but unfortunalty they only had smoking rooms available which were larger. Since on of the leaflets in the room asked to let them know when something wasn't a ten we decided to go and ask them if they knew there was rust in our bath.

The seem to know about the problem since the directly knew where it was. Maintenance was sent by our room but he said he couldn't do anything about that and offered a room change.

We took the offer and got an identical room but this time no rust.

Unique Quality: As i said we might have been spoiled by the next door hotel Sheraton. For us it will be that hotel again as it is an all suites hotel. With a big flat screen tv and also closer to the city center.

But most of all it's cheaper (no $10 a night charge for car parking) and much more spacious rooms.

Cleaning wasn't to good either in the Double tree on our arrival we found all kind of hairs in the bath which weren't ours.

Directions: When you get on the island from the us 1 just turn left and after a short drive it's on your righthand side.

More about Doubletree Grand Key Resort

The Best Hotel for a honeymoon!

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort for our honeymoon. Upon arrival they gave us freshly baked cookies. No other hotel has ever done that! The room was so unbelievably clean. It was very large for a hotel room. We just booked the normal room. I loved everything about the resort. The pool was very nice and clean. The staff were great!! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone!!!!!!!!

Doubletree beautiful facility, far from action of Duvall St

The Doubletree Grand Key Resort is one of the newest on Key West. Remarkable facility, beautiful pool, generous room sizes. We had a balcony room with two queen beds for $249/night in the height of tourist season, Valentine's week. We paid extra to park our car...$20/night and we always took a taxi onto Duvall Street. We knew we were going to do the Duvall Crawl and did not want anyone to drive. Taxi is $14 one-way. Beach is 1 mile nearby. Doubletree has no beach access...can not even see water but the facility is so pretty you do not mind being a mile away from ocean. The facility is absolutely beautiful, service is fantastic but if you want action,,,,stay in a bed and breakfast on Duvall.

It is all about value!

I stayed four nights and five days at Doubletree Key West Resort and just returned.

The resort is an excellent value. It is inexpensive compared to other nearby hotels (ex. Hyatt, Best Western, Sheraton) but delievers above average room and other services. The resort is relatively new and the room is clean and internet ready.

Here are the few things that I liked about the hotel: two free cookies upon your arrival, free daily news paper, free internet access at the exercise room (they have two computers there for use), 24 hours access heated pool, free shuttle service from/to the airport, relatively inexpensive and good breakfast buffet that comes with freshly sqeezed orange juice, very friendly and helpful concierge service.

Here are the negatives: 1) The restaurant service was very slow. We often have to wait around 2-4 mins before getting our seats and then the waitors rarely come to our table. They definately need more waitors and better training. 2) there is often only one person at the front desk. When I arrived at 5: PM., that only person was not at the front desk. Given the size of the resort, I think there should always be two personals ready to serve at the front desk. 3) the room was a bit noisy because of some nearby construction. And we also did not exactly get the room with a view either. When you check in, ask thme whether you can get a room that faces the pool area.

Great Resort!

This resort is wonderful! We stayed here over the Christmas holiday and found the amenities to be great. Very family friendly. We were traveling with our 11 month old daughter and they promptly brought a very clean and nice crib to our room. The concierge was superb- she arranged for a babysitter to come to our room for an evening so my husband and I could enjoy the sites. The pool area was very clean and nice. Great for children because of the zero entrance. The only fault we could find was the beach area, Smathers Beach, is not the best beach around. Ask the locals if you go to Key West- they can point you to better beaches. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again!

Great Time

Great hotel! We stayed here New Years week and had great service. The hotel was full but our room was clean by 10:00 every morning . . .
except New Years Day which was understandable since most guests slept in past 10:00. We had our 10 and 13 year old along and it was a great hotel for the kids. They enjoyed the pool area and found plenty to eat at the breakfast buffet in the resteraunt. We were also very happy with the conceirage as they quickly planned some daytime activities for the family. I must agree with everyone else. Smathers beach is fine if all you want to do is get a tan. The kids were not impressed. We found Zachary Taylor much more to our liking eventhough it was a nice walk since we didn't have a car. Speaking of which, the shuttle service was great! Even with a full hotel, we never had a problem getting to and from town. If the shuttle was full they would bring an extra van. They even extended the hours New Years Eve so that we didn't have to take a Taxi back after celebrating in town with the kids. All in all, very pleasant trip and we were very happy with the service we got at this hotel.

Good, quiet resort with friendly service.

by TripAdvisor Member NicholasZientarski

I just recently spent some time in Key West and stayed at this nice resort. There were many plusses and a few minuses. On the plus side: nice, quiet location away from the busyness of Duval Street, nice pool with comfotable lounge chairs, a quiet but good restaurant, clean and well-staffed with friendly service, includes a very helpful shuttle to the center of town near Duval Street, comfortable rooms, nice exercise room, very helpful concierge service, daily newpaper, and more. Some minuses: sometimes the room wasn't made up until late in the afternoon, restaurant serice was sometimes slow (especially at breakfast), the small hot tub was constantly occupied almost 24 hours a day (and occasionally noisy), and the parking fee for our rental car was a bit steep at $10 a day (and then they charge 75 cents per day tax on that!!!). Even though they say you don't need a car, it does make a difference! Overall, it's a fine place and I had a good time. I appreciated the extras that come with a resort like this and would stay here again.

Loved Doubletree

My husband and I cannot say enough nice things about the Doubletree. We
stayed there the week before the Christmas holidays in a superior room.
Initially, we planned to stay at the Doubletree three days and four
days at the Pier House. We were so disappointed with the Pier House
that we stayed only one night there and went back to the Doubletree!

At the Doubletree there's no fee to use the exercise room. There's not
only a TV, but a computer for the guests to use when they need a break
from working out.

If you desire laying on the beach, the Doubletree regularly shuttles between the hotel and Smathers Beach nearby. There's complimentary beach chairs, towels, and umbrellas.

Our favorite part of the hotel was the pool. It's beautifully
landscaped with palm and coconut trees surrounding the area with a
small waterfall. Waitresses monitor you so you may order drinks or
food. I even got a message overlooking my husband relaxing nearby.
Lovely!

But why...?

When I decided at the last minute to get out of the snow and go somewhere warm, I booked a room at this resort, relying in part on the good name of the Hilton (and affilliated) chain. While it is a fairly new and fairly nice resort, there are several things you should know.

1) It's nowhere near the action. The chain's Web site says 1.7 miles to the central business district; my odometer said it was 5.3 miles.
2) There isn't much else around. If you're going for the seclusion, that may be fine. If not, you're either going to be stuck with the facilites and food the hotel has to offer, or you're going to have to get in the car and drive.
3) Though the hotel offers an hourly shuttle to the business district, it's just that: once an hour, so you've got to be constantly watching the clock.
4) Despite its newness, I spotted some maintenance issues including loose wall sockets and bed headboards, and slow-running drains in the tub.
5) There's a fair bit of construction in/around the resort (as of 2/1/04). The first room I was given had a view of the trailer the construction crew uses for an office. To their credit, they moved me quickly and courteously, but it wasn't to the same type of room.
6) It isn't inexpensive. Sure, Key West isn't a bargain destination, but even with that in mind, I didn't feel like I got value for my dollar.

All in all, I'll try someplace else next visit to Key West.

Toddler in Key West

by IlanaK

I have bene to Key West many times as my dad has a house there, but never since I had my son. He is now 2 years old and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things suitable for his age. Are there any playgrounds? Soft play indoors? Etc? The main things I could think of to do were the aquarium, and also the beach. We will be there during Fantasy Fest and I noticed they have a children's day. Any other suggestions?

Re: Toddler in Key West

by grandmaR

When you say beach - did you have any in mind? I'd suggest Fort Taylor which is a Florida State Park and has a beach in addition to the Fort.

There are several parks where he could run and play - one is at the intersection of Truman and Roosevelt. You could also go to the Botanical Guardens on Stock Island.

The Audubon Society maintains Indigenous Park at the base of White Street Pier , Key West - Houses injured on the mend birds plus 50 resident birds, animals too severely injured to be released back into the wild. Open daily to public 9 A.M. to 5 PM, donations accepted.

He might also like a glass bottom boat trip.

From this website: http://www.floridakeysbest.com/families/

Indoors, other than the aquarium there is Nature indoors at A Key Encounter- http://akeyencounter.com - free attraction (educational with religious message) Clinton Square Market Mall on Front Street Key West. - 20 minute nature movie on three huge screens filmed entirely in the Keys, underwater scenes and Keys' wildlife. Open six days a week . Also a Jungle Walk, with live exotic birds like toucans, cockatoos, and maccaws, plus life-like animatronic animals, including a manatee, a bobcat, crocodile,etc.

Grand Key Resort - 3990 S. Roosevelt Blvd., Key West has a 25,000 gallon aquarium in Resort lobby populated with reef fish

Sheriff's Office Children's Animal Farm - located at the Monroe County Detention Center, off College Rd. on Stock Island

Admission is free, gates open to the public on the first and third Sundays of every month, admission free - 150 plus animals - domestic pets and wildlife, albino pythons, rabbits, birds,ducks, geese, caiman, iguanas, goats, potbellied pigs, turkeys, horses, a family of Patagonian cavies -- South American rodents that are often confused with wallabies. All animals either found abandoned, given up by owners, or obtained in animal cruelty cases.

There's lots of other ideas on that site. Just check to see where in the Keys it is and whether it would be suitable for your child.

Re: Toddler in Key West

by missmommy19

Bahia Honda State Park (about 30 minuntes from Key West) is a wonderful place to take a toddler. Nice beach, bathrooms, snack bar, kid friendly place.

Comments