419 Amelia Street, , Florida, 33040, United States

Tingo.com Priceline.com Booking.com

• jwilliegt's Profile Photo

The Douglas House -Key West

Our first stay here. Have done the motel thing...and this was by far a better experience. My wife and I loved it. Private room and porch. Room was cleaned daily..fresh towels and linens.
    Very cozy. I would recommend this to couples or if you can get into a deluxe room if you are
    traveling with older children. No more than maybe 2. Older couples and newlyweds.

Unique Quality: Gardens were amazing. Liked the private entrance. Parking was very limited. Pool was amazing. Does have a nice continental breakfast for something light in the morning.
    Staff was very accomadating.

Directions: It has about 5 houses that are all in one area. With different housing rooms in all of them. Between Whitehead and Duval Street

• bobt54's Profile Photo

Virtually Perfect

My wife and I stayed there in July 2004.

They arranged bikes for us immediately and through our weeks stay were very helpful in recommending and booking different activities and dinner reservations.

The room was very clean, air conditioned, and had a refridgerator. What else does one need?!?

The pool area was great though we hardly spent any time there. Key West has so many things to do and plenty of beaches. We just had no time or inclination to go there.

The only negative, and it holds for everywhere not just Douglas House, was the annoyance of loud, misbehaving, ill mannered crotchturds. I wish there were places that adults could go without having to share in the misery of those that have chosen to spawn. Luckily our room face the street.

Unique Quality: The pools were beautiful. Though I'm not a fan of heavily chlorinated water, given the child infestation during part of our stay I suppose it was a necessity.

The staff was always pleasent and knowledgeable.

Directions: South end of Duval in the "gay end" of town. Better to stay there and walk or bike to "party" end of Duval for some a more peaceful neighborhood.

• CathyL2's Profile Photo

A Key West Bargain

We stayed off-season for only $99 a night. The room was clean, the tv, fridge & air conditioner worked and there were plenty of towels. We even had our own porch. The staff was very friendly & helpful (even booked a snorkelling trip for us). The grounds were lovely - two pools, a jacuzzi and lots of seating both in sun and shade. The only complaint I have was that the shower was tiny, but we more than got our money's worth. The free breakfast is, well, free - bread, muffins, cereal, milk, juice & coffee.

Unique Quality: Douglas House consists of several buildings which share a common yard with a wonderful garden. There's even a koi pond & a tiny waterfall. It's located between Duval and Whitehead at the 1100 block - convenient to everything but far enough down to be peaceful. I'd definitely recommend it.

Directions: Old town, just off Duval.

More about Douglas House

Douglas House - Very Disappointed!

by TripAdvisor Member DodgeRamGirl96

Date: August 31, 2006
We just returned from two nights at the Douglas House in Key West. After doing much research on the Internet, and specifically on TripAdvisor, I thought I had made a good choice in booking us into a suite at the Douglas House. I was wrong! Very wrong! At the time of check-in I was told they had charged me too little for the room since we were going to have four people staying in it. They wanted to raise the rate at that point! I don’t think so! When I booked the room three months ago I was asked how many people would be staying in the room and I told them four. It is not my fault they don’t know what their rates are. And the man in the office seemed completely clueless as to how to check us in and adjust their mistake about the rate. He was also rude. I was charged for the first night at the time of booking, three months previous, and then charged for the second night at the time of check in. I have never had this experience in all my years of staying in hotels and bed & breakfasts. I guess that is how they trap you.
The “suite” as they called it, that we booked was on the second floor, accessible only by an exterior stairway that had the air conditioner for the living room of the suite dripping all over it, and you, as you walked up it. The rooms smelled moldy and unclean and the rug in the living room was gross to say the least. There were smudges and smears on the walls in the hall and living room. At least the kitchen seemed clean enough. Not much in the way of utensils, cups or dishes though. The bedroom had two beds jammed into it with threadbare, Sears Bed-in-a-Bag comforter sets on them. I know this because last year I bought the same set before moving to Florida for $39.99! The mattresses were horrible. I don’t think I have ever slept on such a worn out mattress. The bathroom had only three towels in it, not enough for two couples. The only supplied toiletries were two small bottles of conditioning shampoo and a small bar of soap. The shower had the worst tile job in it and the drain was nowhere near the lowest point of it so it took a while for the water to drain out and that was only if you helped it along by kicking the water toward the drain. None of the windows had screens in them so if you dared open them for fresh air you got all the bugs in Key West in your room, not to mention anyone who might want to crawl in from the stairs leading to the room. There was a porch off of the living room which was nice but very small. The continental breakfast wasn’t even worth mentioning and even less worth getting up for. The backyard and pool area are the only thing the place has going for it. Ok, and maybe the cute cat. The parking they tell you they have is a block down in a small parking lot next to boarded up houses. Not a great place to park your car.
Now I know why the Douglas House rates are lower than many of the other places. It still wasn’t worth it!
I would not return to the Douglas House and I certainly wouldn‘t recommend it to anyone. We saw many adorable Inns we would try next time we are in Key West.

Douglas House is a FANTASTIC place to stay with a resident kitty!

I just got back from a weekend stay in Key West. My cousin and I are well traveled and have stayed in many places. Douglas House was one of the very best. When we arrived, the check in was easy, everyone was very nice and the property was beautiful with a great pool and whimsical gardens and fountains. The room was spotless and well decorated, not cheesy and floral like others that we saw. The view was wonderful, the A/C was very refreshing, and our own personal balcony was quaint and comfortable. The best part was the resident kitty, Cali. She is a very fat calico cat that is very friendly, especially in the morning when she patiently awaits handouts from the continental breakfast. Another plus was the location which was very quiet. Its located off of Duval St. so you are within walking distance of all the attractions, however you are far enough away from the bars and night life to be able to sleep. Two great places very close by are the Flamingo Crossing Ice Cream Shop across the street and the Banana Cafe down the street which is perfect for crepes and other french specialties. Overall, I would definitely stay at the Douglas House again, only next time I'll stay for a week because a weekend seemed like such a waste of a great place to stay.

Great Time

by TripAdvisor Member jrb79

Thanks Douglas House. We had another great stay. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast by the pool was great. The Douglas House made us feel welcome and appreciated. We are looking forward to seeing you guys in November for another stay.

Enjoyed the stay

by TripAdvisor Member PinkSurvivor

We stayed upstairs in the main part of the complex overlooking the pool and breakfast area. The Douglas House was one of our highlights to Key West. The room had appeal with atmosphere. Enjoyed the pool every afternoon in the hot weather.

Key West has some damage from the hurricanes. While we were there, Smathers Beach was closed due to the bacterial levels. If you want to go on tours, ASK if there is damage from the hurricane or you may not be getting what you think it is.

Perfect, except

by TripAdvisor Member brooklyn101

We really enjoyed our stay at the Douglas House. The room was fine, tho the front porch was really the star - comfortable Adirondack chairs overlooking quiet street. The pool and hot tub were just right, with a bar serving the continental breakfast nearby. The only problem we noted was that the linens were cheap and scratchy and pilled - expected if we were paying $69.95, but not at the rates we paid. The room was clean, everything seemed to work fine, the kitchen was minimally equipped, and the parking was either on the street outside, or half a block away.

Bed Bugs & Mold!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Arizona_6975

The room was disgusting from the dirty bedspread, filthy gross carpet and sofa. The room was upstairs which was only accessed by stairs that were outside. I noticed that “maid” cleaning the rooms carried no fresh towels, vacuum cleaner just a bucket with one rag and some cleaner. It was no wonder the place was so filthy.
There was MOLD all over the windows. Huge bugs all over. One type of bug was about 3 inches long my husband tried to pick it up and throw it outside and found out it was already dead but we did have to kill several more. We tried to tell someone at the front desk and found it closed at 8 p.m. The next morning we told the front desk. They didn’t care and if wanted to check out we would still have to pay for the second night! We asked if the maid would clean it up then. When we returned to the room all the dead bugs were still there! Also, be aware of parking! It is down the street in a horrible location! The homeless and druggies hang out right on that corner, so you have to pass right by them after parking your car. It was scary! I am surprised we had a car the next day! Also, don’t let them fool you into “cont. breakfast” .They had taken a baguette and cut it into pieces for breakfast. WOW! Bread and coffee! But after seeing how DIRTY the room was we were NOT going to eat anything prepared here!
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Poor service and terrible management

by TripAdvisor Member Jasmeister

I was recommended to come here, and it seems that this hotel had its heydays- which are over, it seems to me.
The interior design is very nice, the pool is cute though small, and I am ok with the meager breakfast.
But the staff is a few french fries short of a happy meal. They don't care, don't want to be bothered and hope you won't ask them any tricky questions. When I found an item missing in my room, I chose to consider it an accident by the cleaning lady. I reported this to the front desk and got the response: Sorry, too bad. There's nothing we can do about it.
Same response next day by another front desk employee.
It was outrageous. I filed a complaint and found out they had to fire their manager. No surprise the staff is so clueless and doesn't care - there's no one to watch over them right now.
So I definitely recommend not staying there until the owner has managed to better train his employees or has made some serious personnel decisions. Right now, better stay away.

Key West Hotel

by paulapes

Hi,
Has anyone stayed at the Douglas House Hotel in Key West, or know of it? I have booked rooms for my family and I, but I wondered if anyone here has first-hand experience with the place. Thanks!!

Comments