Gardens Hotel

526 Angela Street, , Florida, 33040, United States

The Gardens Hotel
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Tingo.com

• Just Say "No"

After reading many glowing reviews of this hotel, my husband and I excitedly made reservations...in spite of the curious five-day minimum stay requirement. Let me begin by saying that the "gardens" are nice enough, but certainly not noteworthy in the least. However, the gardens I later discovered were the least of my many disappointments with this hotel. The room: old, dark comforter cover that is outdated and (therefore must be many years old) on the bed, a refrigerator in the bathroom which I later discovered had a palmetto bugs underneath it (those are really just roaches), green moldy looking funk around the door in the bathroom. And guess what else ?? The smell of urine around the curtains in the room. don't know if that was from a cat peeing in the room or outside of it..but it really doesn't matter where it originated from..that is just nasty and made me itch while I was in the room.

The breakfast: coffee cup with coffee stains all over it (was it even washed ?), silverware with some food caked up on it from the day before, some sad looking fruit in the self-serve section of the breakfast buffett. Now, you can order one of the breakfast specials, and they were "ok" but not great. I think those are my major gripes. I suspect that this hotel is skimping on paying staff and perhaps has one or two people doing work that should be done by many, maybe this accounts for the inexcusable dirty dishes.

Whoever wrote the reviews that I read has either not travelled much (doubtful since one of the reviews was in Fodor's), is delusional or simply was paid off by the hotel. This hotel is not cheap, and when you require a five day minimum stay you should make every effort to make the experience very pleasurable. Avoid this hotel, you will thank me for this advice.

More about Gardens Hotel

gay & lesbian hotels

by doug48

key west is very welcoming to the gay and lesbian tourist. flemming street is known for it's collection of gay and lesbian hotels but there are others scattered around the town. for the gay and lesbian tourist see the attached website on gay and lesbian tourism in key west. for those not comfortable with this life style besure to check your hotel's policy before you book.

Can it get any better?! NOT!

by TripAdvisor Member DechlanDayton_Ohio

I've been visiting Key West since 1988 and have stayed at over 30 B&B's. The Gardens Hotel tops them all. We fell in love with the new owner, Kate who was always there to chat during happy hour by the pool side bar. Patrick the bartender should be a tour guide. We asked about specific restaurants and he was right on target about the quality of food and service. Ben and the hottie blonde at the front desk were absolutely delightful and assisted us in every way possible. Most important about our stay is that we now feel that The Gardens Hotel is our new "home away from home." What a wonderful way to spend nine days during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Tropical Paradise

My husband and I just returned from Key West and stayed at The Gardens Hotel. I can't say enough good things about this paradise. From the moment we stepped in and were greeted by Ben (who took care of all our needs) we felt like royalty. Not only are the grounds lush and gorgeous, the rooms were very spacious and the bed was like heaven. It was very peaceful and we didn't have to fight for a poolside lounge. They even supplied rafts to float on. We also enjoyed the close proximity to Duval Street. Only a block away and you are in the heart of it all. I'm sure the next time we are in Key West, we will be back!

Honeymoon in December

by TripAdvisor Member captruss24

After reading reviews on this site, I made reservations for 3 nights at the Gardens.....and I wish that we would have stayed longer!! I have stayed at a few hotels in Key West before, but the Gardens Hotel is on another level. The scenary was amazing! If you are looking for a romantic B&B/hotel, look no further! We were treated like royalty, and Kate is very helpful in suggesting lunch/dinner choices, as well as scheduling trips for us and pretty much planning our whole itenerary. The week we were down there (12/20), the weather was hit or miss.....highs in the 70's, lows in the 60's, mix of rain and sun. The pool felt wonderful (heated to 90 degrees) and the poolside bar is definitely a complement. I cannot say enough about how spectacular the scenary is....well groomed tropical rain forest. The garden view room we stayed in was wonderful....hardwood floors, marble bath, aveda toiletries, LCD tv, robes, desk w/chair, etc. The king size bed had to be the most comfortable bed i have ever slept in...well i wouldn't say there was too much sleeping going on!!! The best part of the Gardens' experience is their location....a block away from Duval, but you can't hear the first noise (I believe the lush tropical rain forest helps absorb the noise). My goal was to stay at the most exclusive, most unique heterosexual adults only B&B in Key West, and the Gardens met every need of mine. I would recommend this location to any traveler looking for a unique Key West experience.

A very nice treat

by TripAdvisor Member mjb358

My wife and I stayed one night, based on Tripadvisor reviews, while taking a short trip through the Keys. What a treat. This is an exceptionally beautiful property. The dense landscaping seems to eliminate noise intrusion from Duval Street, which is only one block away. One rarely encounters a staff so genuinely friendly and helpful. The rooms are classically decorated, with Key West art work on the walls. Little wall mounted LCD tv's are a nice touch. The beds are first rate. I recommend this hotel without reservation. The only negative I noticed was not enough off street parking.

Highly Recommended

I've booked numerous hotels based on reviews / comments in tripadvisor and have to say that this hotel is one of my personal favourites and will live long in the memory. We stayed here for 3 nights whilst travelling round Florida in October - this place is total class, but in a relaxed + laidback fashion and is a real bargain at the room rate offered. The buildings are beautiful and have considerable charm + character. Don't come here expecting loads of facilities - just chillout in the gardens, then venture elsewhere when you what to explore what Key West has to offer. Wish we could have stayed here for longer!

Absolutely the Best of the Best!!!!

We've been to Key West three times this year, and each time try to top the last with a better B&B. Well.. after staying at the Gardens, we've decided to look no further for some place "better", because we've just found the BEST!!!

It's classy without being stuffy. The grounds are spectacular - like touring a lush botanical garden, mixed with funky, quirky touches. There is also a huge outdoor birdcage with tropical birds, and two tortoises roaming around.

The buildings are as quaint and cute as can be, with an amazing attention to detail, inside and out. The bedding is amazing - it was hard to get out of bed!!! The toiletries and amenities in the room are awesome, the decor is beautiful. The main house has wonderful ceilings, decor, and a grand player piano with the best songs!!! The pool bar is the best we've seen, and such a fun place to hang out and chat with the bartender, and fellow guests.

All of the staff is over-the-top helpful,genuinely friendly, and so much fun to talk to. We felt so at home because of that. We loved everyone, but especially Kate, the owner, Ben at the desk, and Patrick the bartender.

You are nuts to stay anywhere else, trust us!!!!

Virtually Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member Mom45

We recently stayed at the Gardens for our 15th wedding anniversary. It was immaculate, charming, close to everything but still its own little oasis. The staff could not have been more helpful, friendly and kind. We would definitely go back. We felt very lucky to be there.

Don't waste your time or money

I recently stayed at this establishment and I have to say it is the most overrated underperforming hotel I've ever experienced. First of all, a place billing itself as "the gardens" should at least have one. This place isn't a garden, it's an overgrown hodge-podge of hum-drum plants, horrible looking ponds and fountains chock full wiggling mosquito larvae(believe it or not, one of the ponds actually has fake water lillys in it) and paths so slick with algae from lack of sunlight that they are really dangerous when wet. As for the rooms, they are not what you'd expect for the price, and having stayed at La Mer, Dewey House, and Heron House, the Gardens simply doesn't measure up. Furthermore, I've had much better breakfast at Hampton Inn, for instance than at this miserable place. They have dreadful variety and awful presentation: they don't even bother to remove the stick-on supermarket labels from the fruit, it's just placed in a bowl and you're supposed to think they've done you a great service. Then there's this seemingly beautiful baby grand player-piano off the living room, that isn't so beautiful when it starts to play. This contemptable machine only hits about half the notes of any given song, and in a very short while begins to drive you mad. One more thing: There may be someone to help with your luggage upon arrival, but good luck finding someone when they've gotten your money and you're checking out (This place requires you to pay in advance with no refunds, so be sure to actually inspect your room and this joint completely before you check in and pay). In closing I will say this: If this place is rated #1 in Key West by any travel guide, I'm thoroughly convinced they bought it. No one who has actually stayed in the other places I mentioned previously in this review could disagree with me. Do yourself a favor, and don't see for yourself.

Lovely Hotel but not the best

by TripAdvisor Member marylandtraveler1950

We stayed here in January 2005. It is a lovely site, with its best asset being its closeness to everything you want to see in Key West. We parked our car &; never used it again. I was also somewhat disappointed in the actual gardens as the last reviewer mentioned. The pool area is lovely, but there are fashionable urns placed on every table around the pool presumably placing the role of ashtrays. When we were there, there was a cigar-smoker at the pool. Since the pool is small & sun typically only on one side, we all had to sit close together. I didn't feel I could ask a guest not to smoke since the ashtrays were so prominent so I left the area. The breakfast was ok but was not very impressive. The rooms are lovely, wood floors instead of carpeting, so they feel cleaner than most hotels. Only problem was the people above us sounded like elephants marching. We think he/she paced when on the cellphone because it was like a marching band over our heads. All in all, at the price we paid, we will probably look elsewhere next time.

Comments