Island House

1129 Fleming St., Florida, 33040, United States

More about Island House

The best all male resort you could ever hope for.

My partner and I have been to the Island House many times, with our most recient being this past February. The place just gets better with each visit. Anyone who could find anything wrong with this place just needs to stay home. The food at the poolside cafe was excellent, the service very friendly and helpful, the rooms were beautifully furnished and clean, the pool and jacuzzi very nice, and the atmosphere was just cruisy enough to make it fun and exciting, but far from sleezy. There was a mix of everyone from young to old. If you wanted to be left alone no one bothered you, but on the other hand if you wanted to have a little fun you didn't have to look very far. The video room and the steam room were always "steamy". This place has "class" and a lot of it. And it provides everything a gay traveler could want, all surrounded by a beautiful tropical Island. We will be back soon.

Far from the best gay choice in Key West

by TripAdvisor Member jeffp94114

There seem to be a lot of very similar, glowing reviews posted here... however on a recent visit no one I met was anywhere near that enthusiastic.

Firstly, the prices are outrageous ($350+) for what it is - an updated old motel, considerably smaller than other cheaper resort complexes with better locations down the street. Rooms have double-glass windows because the hallways run alongside every room so there's constant foot traffic/noise. The people staying there weren't particularly friendly, though it is definitely got the reputation as being the cruisiest place to stay.

I've also stayed at the other big Key West gay resorts and will do so again - they were friendlier, bigger, more lush and resort-like in their outdoor areas, just as busy (or busier) in the wee hours of the night, and considerably cheaper.

Love this place

I just came back from my third trip to Island House in a year. I can't wait to go back again. I'm a Navy airman, 25 years old and of course deeply in the closet at work. It is just wonderful to be in a place where I can be myself and meet so many interesting guys. This trip I met two other soldiers. The discount they give military men really helps. The rooms are really comfortable, the staff are awesome. The food is great. This must be the best gay vacation in the world.

HEAVEN ON EARTH

Marty & John Make you stay at the Island House 1 you will never forget it is like HEAVEN ON EARTH the guys and HOT and the room are 1st class and better I would NEVER stay anywhere else I have been there for 7 years now and can't wait to go again thia June see all of you then
Don
Rochester, Ny.

Pleasure Island

This is really one of the nicest men only resorts I've been too, if not the nicest. The staff is really warm and helpful and the grounds are beautiful, and beautifully maintained. Incredible orchids-We don't have those in St. Louis, at least not outdoors! It's so nice to be able to walk around wearing just a towel or nothing at all. The rooms are very tastefully appointed and the beds are super soft. The guests are friendly-to say the least-and I met interesting guys from all around the world. If you get a massage I advise going to Richard, strong hands and a very nice guy. No complaints at all, just wish I could have stayed longer!

John!

Perfect Island Retreat

The Island House is really an excellent getaway location for gay men who want a holiday from their normal lives and all the concerns of buttoned-down workaday reality. The private compound is really an oasis of adulthood; this is a place where gay men can really relax and let their hair down. The facilities are great, the pool area and sunbathing deck with misters to keep you cool are perfectly done. There's a real spa feel to the place, with a gym, two Jacuzzis (one inside and one outside), a steamroom and a dry sauna. Massages are available in a great little tent off the pool. The rooms are really nicely appointed, with heavenly soft beds. The entire atmosphere is very adult. I've read some sort of sour things from some guys on this site about the Island House, but my experience was that the staff treated you with all the respect and warmth that you gave them. And the clothing-optional aspect is really just that-optional. I tend not to to go naked in public, but anyone else doing so never made me feel uncomfortable. There's a a real feeling of adulthood there; you can partake in the happy hour festivities or the late night cruising you can just chill out by the pool-there's absolutely no pressure to do anything you don't want to do. When I spent three days at the Island House last month, I kind of felt as though I had finally arrived into adulthood. And with a great restaurant on the premises that serves from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m., there were a couple days I never left, jsut ate and sunbathed and swam and chatted with interesting guys from all over the world. A really beautifully done place.

The Island House Was All It Promised And More

I along 3 other friends decided to meet at the Isand House in early June. The other three men had stayed there before but it was my first visit. Actually it was my first visit to an all male resort, period. The other men assured me it was phenomenal and I had been looking forward to the trip for months. I arrived in the evening early in June and the others were already there enjoying a libation by the pool. I went into the lobby, was greeted by a staff member with a stunning smile and was assisted in finding the rest of my party. The room was beautiful and the beds....well, let me just say, normally I don't sleep well away from home....now I don't sleep as well at home. The beds were wonderful. I was happy to see a small but well appointed gym for my morning work out and the pool, steam rooms, and saunas were excellent. The resturant served the best seared tuna salad I have ever had...watch out for the wasabi! It was nice to feel so at ease. The sun deck was misted, the chairs around the pool well shaded, and the video room was very active. Not one person made me feel out of place....that was a true gift. You could cruise, sit in front of your room, walk around, strike up a conversation at the pool or bar...all with such ease. The staff was friendly and attentive. I can't wait to go back! As a matter of fact we tried to book a room before leaving....things fill up quickly at the Island House evidently. It was so relaxing to be just who you are around others who are doing the same.

Our first Island House stay

My partner and I just stayed at IH for the first time. We were totally impressed with the resort. The beds were super comfortable. We loved the decor. The staff was always so helpful and friendly. The food was superb. The grounds and facilities were always clean. The pool and hot tubs were just right. And we even ended up with a parking space right in front of the building. We are definitely coming back.

Hip, Hot and Happenin'!!

by TripAdvisor Member qbill

Heard some "iffy" comments about this place before I came here so I didn't know what to really expect. WoW! This place is awesome. One of the best gay hotels I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed at alot of 'em. The place is modern, stylish, clean, tropical, and very sexy! The staff was so friendly and nice. I came here with my boyfriend, so we really weren't too interested in the cruise aspect you usually expect at gay hotels. Cruising is there, oh yes, and if you want it, you got it. But couples shouldn't feel uncomfortable here..you can participate if you want, but if you don't...like us...that's more than fine too. It really doesn't feel like a sleazy cruise pit at all.The pool area is great, the restaurant is good, the bar has top-notch drinks, and the rooms were comfortable and well-maintained. The place is a little pricey, but well worth it. We met some really fun people here. I think this is the first time staying at a hotel where I didn't want to leave. What a find!

Perfect Escape

by TripAdvisor Member Edward_M.

My partner and I of twenty four years just returned from 3 nights at the Island House in Key West and we just had a magical time. The first night we were there we were in a room that was rather small but we moved to a beautiful room that was a good value too, especially in the summer. That small room would be my only complaint, and that’s not even a complaint. Some people only spend a little time in their room but not us.

We live in Atlanta and were just tired of the same old same old so we booked a Delta flight direct to Key West which is fast and easy. We checked in to the Island House and Alan was super nice and helpful and made dinner reservations for us that night at Café Med. And like I said before our room was a little small, just over the outdoor hot tub, but it was nicely decorated and very clean. But took our clothes off and put on sarongs that we bought in the gift shop in the lobby that had so many well-chosen items you almost don’t have to leave the place! And we lay out by the pool and just relaxed all day. The bartenders and waiters at the café were very fun and helpful (and flirtatious), and the food was really excellent-not your average hotel food at all. I’ve read other reviews of the Island House on here that said the clientele was all older—but even though there were other fellows our age (we’re both in our fifties) there were all different ages, too. And all the guests were very friendly and when happy hour came we discovered a few interesting locals that stopped in, too. Happy hour is really fun there, like a little party every night.

After dinner every night we’d come back to relax, and while my partner would always go to bed early I liked to stay down by the bar or visit the gym and meet new people. And I did! It was so relaxing there-you felt like you couldn’t do anything wrong. I work in a very conservative company so being able to really unwind and just let go like that was amazing.

We had a really nice, relaxing and fun time there. You shed your clothes and your inhibitions, and it’s all very civilized. From our excellent (second!) bedroom to our meals around the pool to the new friends we made, we had a wonderful time. I can’t wait to go back.

Edward M.