La Mer and Dewey House

Hotels.com Expedia.com Official Site

Costs 106% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• rocky1111's Profile Photo

Best Stay in Key West

My wife and I celebrated our 25th Anniversary in Key West and we stayed at the La Mer and Dewey House (which is more like a converted Mansion) and had the time of our lives! The staff was great, especially John. Attention to detail is rated #1 in my book, clean, great location and the view of the Atlantic Ocean was outstanding. If your looking for a place to stay, look no further. You won't be disappointed!

Unique Quality: The tropical foilage that surrounded the House was just beautiful!

Directions: The location is great; Half a block north of Duval Street at the East end on South St.

• Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo

Luxurious Bed and Breakfast

If you like a bed and breakfast right on the beach, with good services, and friendly people, than this is it for you! On the beach you'll find The Duval Beach Club. Ideal for breakfast, lunch and diner. You can order your drink while you're sitting on your beach chair, they will bring it to you. When we got home, we received a postcard from the staff of La Mer. Just to thanks us that we've stayed there during our holiday!

Unique Quality: Right on the beach, breakfast and afternoon high tea, great atmosphere. friendly staff, very nice rooms.

Directions: At the end of Duval Street.

More about La Mer and Dewey House

Don't miss Duval Beach club!

by Dutchnatasja about Duval Beach Club

Duval beach club is on the end of Duval Street (behind La Mer and Dewey House) and is located right on the beach. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is tasty and the menu is full and varied from the basic burger to mahi and grouper. The staff is very friendly, and the view is perfect; looking out upon the ocean with sandy beach in the foreground with a tropical drink in my hand. There are palm trees and beach chairs on the beach. There walks a “cabana boy” on the beach, where you can order your drinks or snacks. It is a perfect place to lie in the sun, and to eat a bit at Duvat beach Club.

First class all the way

by TripAdvisor Member Kaggie496

My husband and I stayed at the Dewey House for our belated honeymoon this past February. It was absolutely lovely. The furnishings, the linens, all the special "little touches" that make a place first class. At night someone comes in and pulls the drapes, tidies up the bathroom, turns down the bed and leaves a chocolate mint on the pillow. Plush robes and pool/beach towels in the rooms. Bottled water is always stocked in the in-room refrigerator. And the staff is so curteous, friendly and helpful. When we checked in, Randall helped us to our room and showed us around the house. Every morning John would greet us when we came downstairs for breakfast.
One of the reasons we chose the Dewey House was because it was on a beach. Although it was kind of small, the beach was clean and never too crowded. The Duval Beach Club is right there on the beach. They have very good burgers and margaritas, and there's Key West Sunset Ale on tap. When you stay at LaMer or Dewey House (or either of the two Southernmost hotels), you get charging privileges there.
I think the room rate is on the higher end, but you definitely get what you pay for in the service, the amenities and the overall class of the hotel. i would love to stay there again sometime.

Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member CB07601

My wife and I just returned from 4 days at Dewey House and La Mer. The rooms are immaculate. All of the staff bends over backwards to make your stay enjoyable. John Cline - the "innkeeper" - is the best. The location is perfect - at the end of the quiet side of Duval - walking distance to a lot of great restaurants. The small beach is fine - as most know, Key West is not the place to go if beautiful beaches are your preference. But the ocean view is awesome.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Travelique

This was our first time to Key West and had a wonderful time. The Dewey House was perfect and romantic. Stayed in one of the Ocean front rooms which was very comfortable with a balcony overlooking the ocean. The location is quiet, right on the beach, which was never over crowded. Only steps away from Duvall St (the quiet end) and the wonderful restaurants. John is the perfect host. Breakfast every morning was delicious. If you like to stay at Inn style accomodations, this is the place on Key West.

Perfect Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member whesse

We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was exactly what we were looking for. The service was wonderful, the room was spacious and elegant, the bed was very comfortable, and the food was great. I will probably add another post when I am not so tired, but for now take my word for it, it doesn't get any better in Key west then the Dewey House......

Wonderful "Boutique Hotel with Flair!"

by TripAdvisor Member KRChopper

Spent April 13-18th at La Mer and loved it!! The sign out front says it all ... "A Boutique Hotel with Flair!" Breakfast and 3 pm tea on the verranda at the next door Dewey House were wonderful and relaxing!!

The use of any of the 3 Southernmost pools was great!! And being on the quiet end of Duval Street was peaceful, yet it was so easy to rent a scooter to go to dinner and sightsee at the rowdy parts of Duval Street. This hotel gave 4 star service at a reasonable price!! (Remember breakfast and tea is included!)

We loved La Mer and will definitely go back!!

Ok

by TripAdvisor Member kar_jan

While this resort is good, it isn't great. We began our vacation at another B&B in Key West, and perhaps I was looking for what we started with.

The B&B has an incredible view, as it is set on the Atlantic. Few locations in Key West can boast they have this phenomenal view. It is relaxing to enjoy your breakfast or afternoon snacks here. Located at the end of Duval, the resort provides an easy walk to all the "action", but an escape at the end of the day at . They serve a very nice breakfast with fresh fruit, cereal, muffins, croissants, and a great sourdough bread. In the afternoons they also have a pound cake or cookies and fruit to enjoy. The grounds are immaculate.

This is all possible because the inn is part of Southernmost Resorts. They have 4 properties that are all located next to one another. As a guest at the Dewey House you can use the ammenities on the other properties. We did go to the pool and tiki bar, located on the other properties, and this made us feel as if we were at a big brand name hotel.

Employees work to keep this place visually appealing, but are their PR department needs to keep some things in mind. When we arrived our room was not ready so we observed a few things. Within the first 1/2 hour, we watched 4 different employees get scolded. There was clearly a lot of tension between everyone. Each time we arrived back at the Dewey house I always felt this tension.

The host at the Dewey house was overbearing. He asked us too many questions each time we saw him and seemed to monitor us. It was as if he was trying too hard to ensure our happiness.

In other B&B's I have stayed at, the rooms are unique. I do not need a lavish room to stay in and realize vacationing is not about the hotel room. However, if I am going to a B&B, I am looking for something unique. This room was like an upscale hotel room. It was nice but will never stand out.

This RESORT was good, but there are certainly more intimate place in Key West. While being on the ocean was nice, there are places that possess more of a "Key West feel".

Best accommodation in KW

by TripAdvisor Member MimiNewOrleans

We were engaged and married and La Mer (Duval Beach Club) and returned for our one year anniversary this January. It's still as wonderful as I remember it. The same dedicated service staff is still at La Mer and doing an excellent job. The breakfast waffles and fresh orange juice are still great at breakfast, and the bars are (thankfully) still incredibly close! We drove this time, and there is not a fee for parking at the hotel (unlike some properties like the Doubletree). Although the rates are gradually approaching what I would like to spend in Key West, I have no complaints - although I wish they still had the hot-tub. Worth every penny.

La Mer Hotel & Dewey House

by Marcel73

I ve just booked this hotel in Key West.is this good joice?
i will be there on july 2010.what is the weather in Florida in july?
Thanks for helping me
Greetings from Oslo

by grandmaR

Have not stayed in this hotel, but I can tell you that the weather will be hot and humid, probably with local thundershowers in the afternoon. So local that on one side of the street it will rain and be completely dry on the other side. On the other hand you don't usually get temps over 100 for days in a row - the high temperatures are mitigated by being surrounded by water. The water will be warm. Also you will be able to see some flowering trees which only flower in the summer.

by stef1981

Hi there, I used to live in Key West, the hotel you picked is a good choice for the location. I'm not sure how long you are staying in Key West but if you are there for at least two days I highly recommend renting a car and driving up US 1 to see the other Floriday keys, I preferred them as they were less crowded and just offer beautiful scenery. Have a wonderful trip!

by grandmaR

Parking is very tight in Key West, so don't rent a car unless your hotel has parking. Key West itself does have a bus system, and it is a good place for bicycling - flat and with places for bikes to be. (not like Holland or Denmark, but still good)

If the hotel does have free parking, and you do want to rent a car , and if you are flying in, then pick up your hotel at the airport. Taxis are expensive.

thanks a lot

by Marcel73

thank you very much.i will there 3 days!
greetings from Oslo

by m.j.taylor

It's a lovely property, right on the ocean. Very well kept up and pretty. Also very convenient to everything you want to do.

It is very hot in July, but you'll be close the to water. Do lots of water activities -- snorkel, SCUBA, dolphin watches, a trip to Fort Jefferson, deep sea fishing. If you're on or in the water you won't mind the heat!

Comments