Key West Hotels

Our Members Say

• grandmaR profile photo grandmaR
  • Reviews: 6578

Key West by the Sea: Condo

My sister bid on this condo in a church fund raiser. I don't know exactly what she paid. According to the people who own the condo, these are not weekly rentals, but my husband said that there were people who were just renting for the week.

I was unable to log on to the wi-fi and I am not sure whether it was just for this unit or if it was condo wide.

This is a gated community which requires a code to access the inner areas. It is across the street from Smathers Beach. There are two swimming pools (one heated) and two tennis courts. There are elevators and laundry facilities.

We were in a condo on the front of the building so our view was over the beach. It is quite near the airport.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Beaches, Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written March 17, 2011
Tip Photo

Picture from the balcony of our unit of the beach

• AprilandBones profile photo AprilandBones
  • Reviews: 13

Vacation Homes of Key West: Home away from home

I recommend a Bed and Breakfast or to rent a house for your time in Key West for accommodations. My parents found this place for all of us to stay with Vacation Homes of Key West. Amazing! All of us like to cook, so it was nice to have a full kitchen and as a bonus, we even had a grill. We rented a two bedroom, one bathroom house, with a spacious balcony and a pool for a very good price. We shared the pool with the other house in the gated courtyard, but we didn’t see the people very often. Therefore, we had the pool to ourselves. There is just one other house on the property and it is all fenced in so no one can see or come onto the grounds. The house was located right upstairs from a convenient store, which ironically, was very convenient for us. We stayed on the corner of Carolina Street and Peacon Lane, close enough to walk to all the great places in Key West. We found a great natural food store and purchased food for our stay. The beds were wonderfully comfortable and the linens where fresh and clean for our stay. The kitchen was fully loaded with everything we needed to make a home cooked meal. We had a washer and dryer, which we did not expect. It was nice and very convenient to wash our clothes before leaving Key West.

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 16, 2010
Tip Photo

On the deck with my mom.

• 4_Beach profile photo 4_Beach
  • Reviews: 1

Casa Marina Resort: Hassles, Hassles, Hassle in Paradise, the Waldorf

When you rent a room in a hotel, you expect free access to the facility, to be able to come and go without impediment. You don’t expect a gang of thugs (two or more + uniformed police), that were not Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, to stop you at the hotel entrance and demand identification. Let me repeat, these were not hotel staff members, and actually fellow guest. After some time explaining that you are not a part of the private group that the ruffians are representing, you are grudgingly allowed to pass, only to repeat the process at the other end of the lobby where you need to exit to go to your room. There was no other entrance and egress available. After complaining to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West management, they were powerless, and cowed by this organization that had rented out a portion of the hotel. No one said anything about this group function on reservation or on check in or offered any explanation on check in that would have at least alerted me, a full paying guest, of potential issues. I did find a printed notice in my room that informed me that parts of the grounds and facility were rented out to a private party and would not be available.

When you rent a hotel room, you don’t expect to waste time coming and going, having to deal with non-hotel staff elements that treat you like you don’t belong since you are not one of their group and you don’t deserve to be poked, although inadvertently, with 2-way radio antennae, as you enter an exit a hotel. A shorter person would have likely lost an eye. It’s a free country, and to be accosted by individuals, non-Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, and identification demanded is just not what we are about in this country – wonder what the guest from outside the US were thinking?

After some thought, we wondered if the private function included individuals that needed such crowd control and a cadre of uniformed officers and were a little concerned for our safety. The Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff seemed to not be in control of their establishment. On further reflection, we think it is a responsibility of the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff to protect guest from this sort of assault by other guest of the hotel, they were woefully inadequate.

I can understand, and would support having a security detail for a private function to control access, but not to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West itself. I have, been to many private functions, where the function access was controlled. In fact, I attended one last month in Anaheim, at a Hilton property, where a former presidential candidate was behind me in line top check in. I don’t think he would have suffered this indignation that was going on at the Casa, simply because he was not a part of the same function that I was attending.

The AC thermostat did not function, it was either ice cold or off. However, we would stay again, the property is that good, if we had assurance that the access, entrance and egress would not be an issue.

In summary, call ahead to check that you will have full use of the facility, you might have a great time.

The property is very good for a beach resort, the secluded beach, pool and hammocks are delightful. The food was good, and by Key West standards, in line as far as price. We went for relaxation that we achieved, between the hassles of leaving and entering the hotel.

• Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written November 8, 2009

• doug48 profile photo doug48
  • Reviews: 5204

Casa Marina Resort: historic hotel

the casa marina resort hotel is my favorite place to stay in key west. this elegant old hotel dates back to the 1920's. what i like about the casa marina is it's location. it is walking distance to smathers beach and the southern most point but far enough away from the party area of duval street. this property has a private beach and is an excellent place to relax in key west. the casa marina is owned by wyndam so you can expect all of the amenities of a first class resort hotel. expensive, and as with most hotels in the keys prices are much more expensive in the winter tourist season.

• Related to: Architecture, Beaches, Historical Travel
  • Written November 7, 2008

casa marina resort

• kburnham profile photo kburnham

Casa Marina Resort: Casa Marina - stay away

Bring your hard hat and tool belt.
The Casa Marina is undergoing an extensive renovation throughout the property. This made the stay unpleasant, uncomfortable and unsafe.
The Casa Marina failed to disclose the conditions on their website, and failed to note that there was no wireless internet access, no business center, and intermittent hot water.
In order to get to my suite I was routed right through the middle of the construction zone, which was unsafe, with ladders and open cans of paint and solvent everywhere, and unpleasant with the heavy solvent odor.
I noticed when arriving at my suite that two of the three fire/emergency exits were gated off. The third exit which led to the street area was propped open 24hours so that workers could acces the building; which is nice for them but a security concern for me.
My ocean view consisted of a backhoe and a dumptruck, which started operation way too early in the morning for me.
I complained of the conditions and checked out after one night. I found out the next day that they had maintained a charge for the remaining three nights of my reservation, despite the fact that they had said there would be no additonal charges when I checked out.
So on top of everything else, the management of the Casa Marina are dishonest liars.
I travel extensively all over the world, and this was by far the most unpleasant and regretable hotel experience of my life.

Ken

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written October 17, 2007

• kburnham profile photo kburnham

Wyndham Casa Marina Resort: Terrible experience at the Casa Marina

Bring your hard hat and tool belt.

Ken

• Written October 17, 2007

• keywest123 profile photo keywest123
  • Reviews: 6

Wyndham Casa Marina Resort: Under renovation

It's a nice location, however it's currently under renovation. Also the hotel next to it, The Reach is under major construction. Before you book your room, call the hotel directly & make sure you are AWAY from the construction. Both resort hotels will be wonderful when the renovations/construction are completed. Casa Marina is far more pricey than what is listed in many of these postings, especially for high season! Casa Marina has no Happy Hour at the bar, & it's $15.00 + tax for a hamburger. It is definitely not inexpensive, yet the location is nice.

Two nice pools, good beach location, nice gift shop.

• Written March 25, 2007

• TheTravelSlut profile photo TheTravelSlut
  • Reviews: 277

Hollinsed House: A nice, quiet guest house

I have stayed here 3 times in the past 3 years. I enjoy Gert and Della who oversee the house and all of the guests are equally nice.

The Hollinsed House features a pool, wi-fi access, 7 spacious suites including studios, one & two bedroom condos that are fully equipped for your convenience. Kitchens include microwaves, coffeemakers, blenders, toasters, and all of the comforts you're used to having at home. Large private bathrooms, ceiling fans, cable TV, VCR's, and air conditioning. And local trips and excursions can be arranged.

All suites have private entrances, sun decks and telephone with free local calls.

I would highly recommend this guesthouse to anyone visiting Key West. The location, accomodations, and ambience are hard to beat.

Gert "The Skirt", manages this guest house and has for quite a while. She makes everyone feel like they are truly coming home. I have stayed here 3 times in the past three years for Fantasy Fest and it is always sold out for that week in late October but Gert can usually find alternate accomodations should that be necessary.

My room #7 is somewhat secluded behind the main house and I like it because it is quiet and cool being surrounded by trees.

The guest house is close to all the action on Duval Street, plus it is close to Fausto's delicatessen & grocery store and Sarabeth's restaurant at the corner of Southard & Simonton.

Parking is at a premium anywhere in Key West but the Hollinsed House usually has two or three free parking spots. If not, there is public parking on streets nearby.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Singles, Road Trip
  • Written November 2, 2006

My usual room #7, ground floor

• virgil_likes_rum profile photo virgil_likes_rum
  • Reviews: 8

Boyd's Campground: Camping in Key West

Definetly pay the extra bucks for a water side site. I swam and frollicked like a british school kid in the water all the time. Campfires are allowed and drinking till your retarded is welcome. Just make sure you shut the hell up at 10pm for their quiet hours...the security guards there are complete jerks and will ruin any trip if given the chance. Complaining to ownership doesnt help; they agreed and said they get complaints quite often. There is no bar or drinking area near the pool, dont be fooled by their website. The bathrooms are usually clean, hot as hell, but they get the job done. This campground is expensive but I couldnt find anything closer to Duval street. A cab ride is about 15-20 as the distance isnt the issue (5miles), its the traffic and time traveling those five miles. Parking isnt too hard near Duval though, just bring your big city parking skills and you're set. Generally older, motorhome kind of crowd here.

Views, cuban sandwich restuarant across the street, liquor store about 3 blocks away, 3 miles to an awesome beach (forgot the name).

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Camping, Budget Travel
  • Written July 25, 2006

• Hexepatty profile photo Hexepatty
  • Reviews: 526

Wyndham Casa Marina Resort: 5 Star Location / 3 Star Accomodation Standard

At the end of our Charity Bike ride from Miami to Key West (admittedly, we didn't ride very much of the 165 Mile Bike Ride due to an injury....) our Teams sponsor /Employer, "HOTELBEDS" donated a night's stay at the Casa Marina. What a blessing. We didn't have the outta pocket money for a night stay in Key West. Everything was high since it was High Season.

The view - per my Key west Home Page Photo - from our room patio was spectacular. And as former Hawaii Resident, this was as close to paradise as you can get in the Continental US.

The rooms were dismal, however. This was Holiday Inn / 3 Star standard. Room was tired (needing refurbishing). Bathroom had mold on shower wall tile and stains on the tub floor. Bathroom counter was faded and wallpaper was coming off.

But the view! Smile... You get the drift.

Sodas and juices from the mini-bar (Jan. 06) cost $2.50. Not the highest, but nothing you'd want to keep on consuming... Phone calls: we had a 15 second long distance call (cell was outta power / forgot charger ) They tried to charge us $9.45. We complained / they waived it.

Lobby is very upscale. Landscaping and pool area VERY nice. Beach is lovely. So is the pier. Location of hotel is close to everything. The room was disappointing.

ice maker didn't work on first floor. Elevator didnt work to the 2nd floor. Little things like this make you realize, this is NOT a five star hotel.

But the view! Smile...

Bellstaff and front desk staff were impeccible. They let us put our bikes in the room (against policy!) and helped us with our gear and luggage. GREAT hospitality extended to us!

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Fishing, Water Sports
  • Written January 15, 2006

view from our patio

• No1TravelFan profile photo No1TravelFan

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wyndham Casa Marina Resort: Nice, but I've seen much better

The hotel room was newly decorated and was pretty. BUT, the bathroom sink was separating from the counter top and the room had NO water pressure for a shower!! The tub even had mold around it. People were friendly, but not very helpful (the whole island is like that). It was like you were putting them out if you asked for anything. I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to people used to the usual luxury resorts. I can't beleive they charge $12/day for things others include for free. Locals were calling this a 5 star resort...I would have to disagree! The restaurant was pretty, but the food was nothing to write home about. This hotel was within walking distance to most everything since the island is so small, although the locals make it sound like it is way too far to walk.

The pool area was pretty and so were the grounds!!! Very nice view for those lucky enough to get an ocean view. The pool guys were very nice and helpful. The waiters & waitresses were just difficult to get help from. They always appeared to be busy (even when it was slow) and would often disapear all together. We couldn't even get our waitress (who didn't speak English) to give us our check after not being able to order our food. The beach is nice to look at, but I wouldn't go into the water. it was stinky and dirty.

• Written February 2, 2005

• moneysavr profile photo moneysavr
  • Reviews: 47

Dunns Ocean View Inn: This is a secret in the Keys

Wow this total re-done motel,with tile floors,Large tile baths,with the a great shower,mini frige in room,Micro too.The rooms are new,the Tropical back area off your room opens to the pool area ! Real nice,the back area has a grill to cook the days catch also!
The motel boast's a bar/with food,and is a real conch place=Local! We had fun

The pool and lush tropical landscape on the gulf side, we docked our jet ski and wow this place was fun!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written January 29, 2005

• eahollin profile photo eahollin
  • Reviews: 37

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bahia Honda State Park: Camping?

Well, I'm sure Bahia Honda State Park's campground is lovely if you have the right equipment, or if it's not the hottest possible day of summer when you try to go... Unfortunately, we made the mistake of tent camping on an RV site with no trees in the middle of August! :( But other than our miscalculations, it's a beautiful park with great beaches, and a cool bridge you can walk out on that used to carry a railroad, then a bridge, but was finally replaced in the 1970s by the current bridge system.

Cool bridge. Nice beaches. Good bathroom/shower facilities. RV hookups (if you have one) available.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: National/State Park, Beaches, Camping
  • Written December 14, 2004

The Old Bridge at Bahia Honda

• jbel2879 profile photo jbel2879
  • Reviews: 55

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wyndham Reach: Nice place, great beach.

I stayed here with 4 of my girlfriends when we went on Spring Break. The room was adorable, but I didn't see much of it as it was strewn with tube tops and bathing suits the entire time. We had a nice little veranda.

But who goes to Key West to stay in their room? The beach was one of the nicest on the island. It was quiet, right by the pool, perfect sand, they put your chairs out for you and bring you drinks whenever you want them.

Good breakfast. The beach - fabulous. Nice staff. Good gym.

• Written June 28, 2004

• dharmabum222 profile photo dharmabum222
  • Reviews: 154

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jabour's trailer court: the most expensive trailer park in the USA!

We camped in Key West during the week of New Years 2002. We arrived at Jabour's "trailer court" after reading on their website that they had tent sites as well as trailer sites and ended up spending 67$ per night to camp between the bathroom and a trailer that I am pretty certain was someone's home. We did not spend a lot of time there fortunatly and it was the closest campground to the action, just 2 blocks off of Duval St. but if you decide to stay, keep in mind that when you finally turn in for the night....there are dozens of wild roosters in Key West that will keep you up ALL NIGHT! You don't come to Key West to sleep, agreed, but you also can't live without at least a few hours every night! It made for some great laughs...

It was nice to be able to walk to Duval St. and not have to worry about finding parking like the people who camped at Boyd's a few miles up the road.

• Written March 3, 2004