Key West Hotels

Our Members Say

• mcharlton profile photo mcharlton
  • Reviews: 145

Staying with the locals could...

Staying with the locals could be a real treat for those who want to experience the real thing.
$125.00 for Four People.

We stayed in a home with two bedrooms, full bath,
complete kitchen and living room on bay side.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 26, 2002

• VTCrusier profile photo VTCrusier
  • Reviews: 7

My Fav is the Reech hotel. Has...

My Fav is the Reech hotel. Has the best hot tub I could find in KW.

Great rooms. Great Hot tub. Good food. Good entertainment. Good location. Quite but not cheep!

• Written August 26, 2002
Tip Photo

• danmcf profile photo danmcf
  • Reviews: 215

Can really recommend the...

Can really recommend the Carnival Ship 'Imagination'. Of course the only way you'll get to lodge here is if you book a cruise first!
Depends on how long a cruise you book.

It's a hotel that takes you to your destinations.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written August 25, 2002

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Camping at John Pennekamp...

Camping at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.
$10-$20.

First stop for the dive/snorkel enthusiasts, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park offers 178 nautical square miles of coral reefs and assorted vegetation along with walking trails, boating and numerous dive/snorkel opportunities.

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Camping at Bahia Honda State...

Camping at Bahia Honda State Park.

Perhaps the least developed of the well-known Keys, Bahia Honda is a peaceful respite from quaint but touristy towns you’ll be passing through. Though expensive, the campsites, especially those on the waterfront are some of the most scenically situated that I have ever come across. Well separated from your neighbor, and engulfed by local vegetation, you have front access to a pristine beach and lovely turquoise seas.

• Michael_D profile photo Michael_D
  • Reviews: 1041

ERNIES ACCOMODATIONS. This is Earnest Hemingway's study where he is said to have penned the bulk of his best works during his most creative period. Papa had a definite downside, like his father, grandfather and niece he committed suicide.(In Ketchum Idaho) But his creative genius/upside was formidable. He lived at various times in Paris and was friends with literary greats Gertrude Stein and F.Scott Fitzgerald...for a time lived outside Havana in a house that is presently a memorial like this one. He retired to hunt in his golden years in a cabin in Idaho. But it is notworthy that he did his BEST work...in little old Key West.

Tip Photo

• lar-n-me profile photo lar-n-me
  • Reviews: 164

Almost any place is perfect. ...

Almost any place is perfect. Our hotel had a perfect view of the ocean, but because of their locations, most would.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
Tip Photo

• palla profile photo palla
  • Reviews: 33

Hard to find cheap...

Hard to find cheap lodging.There is a youth hostel(small)A few lower cost inns.Concrete monolith hotels and timeshares are destroying the ambiance of Key West,not to mention the natural treasures of salt ponds and mangroves.Call it the stripmining approach to tourism.

• 4_Beach profile photo 4_Beach
  • Reviews: 1

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Marina Resort: Hassles, Hassles, Hassle in Paradise, the Waldorf

When you rent a room in a hotel, you expect free access to the facility, to be able to come and go without impediment. You don’t expect a gang of thugs (two or more + uniformed police), that were not Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, to stop you at the hotel entrance and demand identification. Let me repeat, these were not hotel staff members, and actually fellow guest. After some time explaining that you are not a part of the private group that the ruffians are representing, you are grudgingly allowed to pass, only to repeat the process at the other end of the lobby where you need to exit to go to your room. There was no other entrance and egress available. After complaining to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West management, they were powerless, and cowed by this organization that had rented out a portion of the hotel. No one said anything about this group function on reservation or on check in or offered any explanation on check in that would have at least alerted me, a full paying guest, of potential issues. I did find a printed notice in my room that informed me that parts of the grounds and facility were rented out to a private party and would not be available.

When you rent a hotel room, you don’t expect to waste time coming and going, having to deal with non-hotel staff elements that treat you like you don’t belong since you are not one of their group and you don’t deserve to be poked, although inadvertently, with 2-way radio antennae, as you enter an exit a hotel. A shorter person would have likely lost an eye. It’s a free country, and to be accosted by individuals, non-Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff, and identification demanded is just not what we are about in this country – wonder what the guest from outside the US were thinking?

After some thought, we wondered if the private function included individuals that needed such crowd control and a cadre of uniformed officers and were a little concerned for our safety. The Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff seemed to not be in control of their establishment. On further reflection, we think it is a responsibility of the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West staff to protect guest from this sort of assault by other guest of the hotel, they were woefully inadequate.

I can understand, and would support having a security detail for a private function to control access, but not to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina, Key West itself. I have, been to many private functions, where the function access was controlled. In fact, I attended one last month in Anaheim, at a Hilton property, where a former presidential candidate was behind me in line top check in. I don’t think he would have suffered this indignation that was going on at the Casa, simply because he was not a part of the same function that I was attending.

The AC thermostat did not function, it was either ice cold or off. However, we would stay again, the property is that good, if we had assurance that the access, entrance and egress would not be an issue.

In summary, call ahead to check that you will have full use of the facility, you might have a great time.

The property is very good for a beach resort, the secluded beach, pool and hammocks are delightful. The food was good, and by Key West standards, in line as far as price. We went for relaxation that we achieved, between the hassles of leaving and entering the hotel.

• Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written November 8, 2009

• kburnham profile photo kburnham

Wyndham Casa Marina Resort: Terrible experience at the Casa Marina

Bring your hard hat and tool belt.
The Casa Marina is undergoing an extensive renovation throughout the property. This made the stay unpleasant, uncomfortable and unsafe.
The Casa Marina failed to disclose the conditions on their website, and failed to note that there was no wireless internet access, no business center, and intermittent hot water.
In order to get to my suite I was routed right through the middle of the construction zone, which was unsafe, with ladders and open cans of paint and solvent everywhere, and unpleasant with the heavy solvent odor.
I noticed when arriving at my suite that two of the three fire/emergency exits were gated off. The third exit which led to the street area was propped open 24hours so that workers could acces the building; which is nice for them but a security concern for me.
My ocean view consisted of a backhoe and a dumptruck, which started operation way too early in the morning for me.
I complained of the conditions and checked out after one night. I found out the next day that they had maintained a charge for the remaining three nights of my reservation, despite the fact that they had said there would be no additonal charges when I checked out.
So on top of everything else, the management of the Casa Marina are dishonest liars.
I travel extensively all over the world, and this was by far the most unpleasant and regretable hotel experience of my life.

Ken

• Written October 17, 2007

• kburnham profile photo kburnham

Casa Marina Resort: Casa Marina - stay away

Bring your hard hat and tool belt.

Ken

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written October 17, 2007

• eahollin profile photo eahollin
  • Reviews: 37

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bahia Honda State Park: Camping?

Well, I'm sure Bahia Honda State Park's campground is lovely if you have the right equipment, or if it's not the hottest possible day of summer when you try to go... Unfortunately, we made the mistake of tent camping on an RV site with no trees in the middle of August! :( But other than our miscalculations, it's a beautiful park with great beaches, and a cool bridge you can walk out on that used to carry a railroad, then a bridge, but was finally replaced in the 1970s by the current bridge system.

Cool bridge. Nice beaches. Good bathroom/shower facilities. RV hookups (if you have one) available.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: National/State Park, Beaches, Camping
  • Written December 14, 2004

The Old Bridge at Bahia Honda

• moneysavr profile photo moneysavr
  • Reviews: 47

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dunns Ocean View Inn: This is a secret in the Keys

Wow this total re-done motel,with tile floors,Large tile baths,with the a great shower,mini frige in room,Micro too.The rooms are new,the Tropical back area off your room opens to the pool area ! Real nice,the back area has a grill to cook the days catch also!
The motel boast's a bar/with food,and is a real conch place=Local! We had fun

The pool and lush tropical landscape on the gulf side, we docked our jet ski and wow this place was fun!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written January 29, 2005

• No1TravelFan profile photo No1TravelFan

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wyndham Casa Marina Resort: Nice, but I've seen much better

The hotel room was newly decorated and was pretty. BUT, the bathroom sink was separating from the counter top and the room had NO water pressure for a shower!! The tub even had mold around it. People were friendly, but not very helpful (the whole island is like that). It was like you were putting them out if you asked for anything. I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to people used to the usual luxury resorts. I can't beleive they charge $12/day for things others include for free. Locals were calling this a 5 star resort...I would have to disagree! The restaurant was pretty, but the food was nothing to write home about. This hotel was within walking distance to most everything since the island is so small, although the locals make it sound like it is way too far to walk.

The pool area was pretty and so were the grounds!!! Very nice view for those lucky enough to get an ocean view. The pool guys were very nice and helpful. The waiters & waitresses were just difficult to get help from. They always appeared to be busy (even when it was slow) and would often disapear all together. We couldn't even get our waitress (who didn't speak English) to give us our check after not being able to order our food. The beach is nice to look at, but I wouldn't go into the water. it was stinky and dirty.

• Written February 2, 2005

• jbel2879 profile photo jbel2879
  • Reviews: 55

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wyndham Reach: Nice place, great beach.

I stayed here with 4 of my girlfriends when we went on Spring Break. The room was adorable, but I didn't see much of it as it was strewn with tube tops and bathing suits the entire time. We had a nice little veranda.

But who goes to Key West to stay in their room? The beach was one of the nicest on the island. It was quiet, right by the pool, perfect sand, they put your chairs out for you and bring you drinks whenever you want them.

Good breakfast. The beach - fabulous. Nice staff. Good gym.

• Opinion of Price: about average