3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 69% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Nice Accomodations But Far From Main Key West

This resort type hotel is across the street from the beach but well removed from downtown Key West. A very few of the rooms face the ocean. After reading the mixed reviews of this hotel I was somewhat hesitant to book a free room using my Starwood points. However what a nice surprise. I arrived early at noon, thinking that it would be less than 50/50 to have a room ready. To my surprise they not only accommodated me but gave me a nice room on the second floor with a good view of a courtyard. Had I arrived later they said as a preferred member I would have received a partial or full ocean view. The room was huge with nice furniture and linens. With regard to the lady who thought the place had fleas I would be stunned if it did. The room was spotless The bathroom was so large , with two separate entrances that we took several pictures of it. All of the front reservations staff were very nice. Unfortunately we could not get the attention of the concierge who was always on the phone while a line formed around her. She appeared to be talking to friends ): The free shuttle to downtown with a polite driver was also a plus. We never found the shuttle to be a problem going or being picked up like some of the reviewers have suggested. Sleeping was a dream and the room was very quiet. The full kitchen was also a nice plus and the extra Starbucks coffee. The bar area is nice but the food is overpriced based on what you get. Overall a very relaxing and nice play to stay if you can put up with the very busy lobby.

Unique Quality: Huge rooms!

Directions: Just use your GPS, South Roosevelt is easy to find coming into Key West from Miami.

• Sheraton in Key West has poor expectations of thei

Most people think I am wacky for complaining about this but:
    THERE ARE TOO MANY RULES AT THIS HOTEL!

First rule: "Pool towels are available at pool side. Please do not remove room towels." This is not the first hotel that I've seen with this request. Okay, so I have to walk in my bikini to the pool. I can do that, on this ridiculous cold day in Key West.

Second rule: "POOL TOWELS ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE POOL ATTENDANT. YOU MUST RETURN THEM TO THE POOL ATTENDANT. DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN YOUR ROOM OR AT THE BEACH. YOU WILL BE CHARGED $25.00 FOR EACH TOWEL NOT RETURNED TO THE POOL ATTENDANT." Come on peoples! Is it really a $25 problem for housekeeping to pick towels up from the room?!#$? That is ludicrous!

Third rule: "PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HANGING TOWELS OR CLOTHING FROM BALCONY RAILING." This is BS that my homeowners association pulls because hanging linens reduces the value of our property. So, the Sheraton is scared that your clothing is going to decrease the value of their property! Maybe it is unsightly, but deal with your customer's bad habits; stop slapping their hand for every little thing.

Fourth rule: "Sheraton Suites Key west is proud to be a refreshing smoke-free environment. A $200.00 cleaning fee will be added to your bill if we find evidence of smoking in your room. Smoking is allowed ONLY in designated areas." I have a cigarette once a day. I don't believe in throwing the butt out the window of the car. Thus, I held it until I got to Key West and threw the butt in the room trashcan. When I was made aware of this statement, I had to run to the trash and pull the butt out. I am still holding that butt as it flakes in my pocket. Also, I am anonymously posting these issues, as my admittance to having a butt in their room is grounds for a $200.00 fine; excuse me, "cleaning fee."

Fifth rule: "This shuttle is on a reservation basis with a maximum capacity. Seats are limited and tickets are required for boarding. To reserve your seat, please see our friendly front desk personnel. No phone calls please." I can understand knowing when you want to leave the hotel and scheduling it appropriately. What I don't understand is that you have to schedule your return with them! I don't know if I'll be in town 4 hours or 8 hours. And as they said, don't call them to schedule your return! My family and I found it easier to drive, pay $8 to park on the road, and come back when the little one's were tired. Don't make your customers have to second-guess schedules while on vacation! Geesh!

Requests not fulfilled: "We need 12 creamers." 3 creamers were delivered. "We need 12 creamers." 3 creamers were delivered. "We need 6 sugars." 3 sugar packets were delivered. "We need 20 creamers." We were told- "That is like stealing." How can asking for creamers be stealing?!@#? The Sheraton has accused us, their customers, of stealing from them! Where did they learn customer service etiquette?!@#? I realize that there are people that steal because they "don't think it will be missed" but we are not those people. You do not accuse your customers of stealing even if they are. Instead, you build the cost of these losses into your room rates.

It has been 35+ years since I've stayed in a Sheraton. Their lack of trust in my family and me being able to handle ourselves does not make me want to come back.

Anonymous (who hasn't smoked since getting to Key West for fear of $200 evidence)

Unique Quality: Lets see if I can come up with something nice about this location:
    They have complementary computers for Internet access. Their Internet pipe could not handle the 5 pm traffic, but they still have a better setup than most hotels.
    2 good size flat-screen TVs in our room. The remotes barely worked but the TVs were not bad quality.
    The grounds are really nice, although tainted by signs of more rules.

• good place nice view

Nice place would stay there again the pool bar is very expensive $10 for a drink (includes $1.50 tip), bring your own plastic container to sit at pool. large rooms the tile was cracked in the bathroom and carpet was stained pretty bad, but i could see a challenge trying to keep it clean with all of the sand and dirt people drag in. we had pool view that was nice the music you could here in our room but shuts down before you get to bed. the breakfast was a buffet or order the buffet was $15.99 a person so we raided the extra's( cereal & Yogart) and brought them back to our room for the next 2 days. airport noise ot to much a factor.

Unique Quality: I liked the lay out, nice location by the ocean, just be careful crossings the street.

• agurleysms's Profile Photo

Quiet Side of the Island

This was our first beach vacation together and first trip to Key West. The check in was a breeze and parking was free. (Plenty of available spaces while we were there.) The hotel is nicely landscaped and has a great atmosphere. We were impressed by the size of the suite, and the higher end finishes in the recently remodeled room. We had a shower only (no tub) but it was extra roomy :)

The bed and couch/chaise lounge were super comfortable. The sheets and pillows were soft and cushy. We were closer to the back end of the property, so there was no road noise. The water did not get super hot (but after you are sun burned, who wants it hot?). The staff was helpful, see the conceirge with any questions about the area. We had rented a car, so we called the hotel desk a few times when were could not find something and they would give us directions or look up an address for us.

The shuttle does get pretty full, but if you want to get up close and personal with the other guests you are more than welcome to squeeze in. Get there early to avoid any disappointment. It was nice to be able to have plenty of drinks downtown and not worry about how to get back to the hotel, although it only runs until 11.

The pool was really nice, we made sure to get our use of that. They do make you sign in for towels, but if you brought your own from home for the beach its no big deal.

We only ate at the hotel the first night. The libations were expensive and of limited selection. We had split nachos that were pretty good.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for anyone that wants to relax on their vacation.

• Stay somewhere else!

Sheraton Suites Key West is a much lower quality Sheraton than other ones I have stayed in, and in my experience, is run understaffed. They charge for everything; you have to sign a form for a thin pool towel. If it's not returned they charge more than the price of the towel! The internet service has issues, & your laptop may not work at all, or only in certain rooms & in certain parts of the property. It's like they added more rooms, but don't have some of the systems to operate a hotel with more rooms! The "suites" are very small; especially the bedroom. Skip breakfast! Everytime we ate there, the breakfast buffet service was very slow, & they didn't even ask if we wanted orange juice or a refill. Food was bland. Go to the Inn at Key West instead for breakfast buffet. It' SO much better & a much nicer environment, outdoors in their cafe!

Unique Quality: It's across the street from one of the busiest streets in KW. To get downtown you need a car, scooter or a bike. The hotel shuttle gets full sometimes, so you have to pay for a taxi! The beach across the street is not nearly as nice as Fort Zachery Taylor Beach downtown. There's no where at the hotel to buy snacks, soda, etc. after the restaurant closes at night. This property is run mostly by temporary workers, so you can get some people who don't know what they're doing, & don't have a good command of English yet, which can be frustrating.

Directions: Past KW Airport & down the street a few minutes.It's on a busy major street.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Sheraton Suites Key West

The Sheraton is located on the east side of Key West, making it great for sunrises but not the place to watch a sunset. Its a large spread out property across the street from the beach and in a decent location a few blocks from Duval street, but a bit too far to walk there. Like all Key West properties, the price you pay reflects the fact that you are in Key West and hotel rooms are limited, not on the quality of the hotel. The rooms were nice though. This is an all suite hotel and, unlike Sheraton's more business oriented properties, these suites are more comfortable and inviting that the standard business suites. Ours had a large comfortable couch instead of the usual workstation. We didn't eat here, so I can't comment on the food.

I wasn't impressed with the $10 per night self parking charge, which seemed unreasonable, but be prepared to expect such things practically everywhere you stay in Key West as inflated prices are the norm.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

The best of this winter...

We had stay in two other hotels in Key West before. Both of them were ok but basic, and the cost of the stay was not in comparison to the quality.

So we decided to try a more expensive hotel and see how that would be. When we drove along the Key West coast we found the hotel at our right hand side. The entrance and reception looked promising. The staff was extremly friendly, we where there too early so they checked if our room was cleaned...

Unfortunalty it wasn't , the had allready upgraded us to a poolside room. We where invited to use the pool, bar and so on and check back later for our room.

We decided to go downtown Key West for our first strawl. When we came back the room was ready.

Unique Quality: The room was just great much larger as the other rooms we had in Key West and the looked in perfect condition. Bathroom was very large and had a jacuzzi. There was a kitchen, separate bedroom and living room.

Both bed and couch where very comfortable, to make it all complete it also had a balconny which looked over the swimming pool.

Pictures taken december 5 - 6, 2004

Directions: When driving on to Key West make a left turn and after a few miles the hotel will appear on your right hand side.

• bcc8's Profile Photo

Sheraton Suites Key West

Nice hotel directly across the street from the beach. The rooms are large and of decent quality. Good garden area courtyard and nice pool. Free shuttle to Duvall street. I would recommend this hotel. Great value if using Starwood points as well.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located on the quieter side of the island. Smathers Beach is directly across the road. It's about a 8 minute drive to Duvall street from the hotel.

Directions: 2001 South Roosevelt Blvd.
    Key West, Florida 33040

More about Sheraton Suites Key West

Sheraton Key west

by TripAdvisor Member MDMANBaltimore

We stayed at the Sheraton Key west during the week of June 17 through June 24th.
The hotel is located on the opposite side of the island, so all sites and down town are approximately 2 miles away. We didn't use the shuttle as prior reviews stated that they had trouble getting back on due to the shuttle being crowded. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes from the Sheraton to the Hilton downtown.
We drove downtown and never had trouble parking. There are parking lots that allow you to park for $10.00 all day and there are meters (bring change) all over. If you park near the Mel Fisher Museum, the meters are free and only require money on weekends.
The hotel was very nice and our suite was large with 2 LCD TVS and a sleeper couch and a small refrigerator.
THe bathroom has marble floors and the shower is very large. The suite features sliding doors between the bedroom and the rest of the suite for privacy.
I agree with other reviews that the pool is not as large as pictured, buit we had no trouble finding chairs and we never had to get up early to put towels on our chairs to reserve them. As this is a suite Hotel, there are lots of kids, but that didn't seem to be a problem.
They also allow dogs, so occassionally you do hear a dog barking from one of the suites.
We ate lunch by the pool and the sandwiches were ok and no more expensive (10.00 +tip)
than other hotels, we have stayed in. Our suite had a balcony and faced the pool. If you choose a beach view room, you will be looking at the road. Smathers beach is across the street.
Be advised that the sheraton is not near shops or restaurants (they do have a restaurant and bar on premises). You must drive to find the fast food , super markets and book stores. There is a publix foods, walgreens and Borders books on the other side of the island.
We had a wondeful relaxing time in Key West and the Sheraton was a great place to stay

Would go back...

I stayed at Sheraton Suites Key West May 20 - 24. I was in room 333 on the third floor, facing West and with a balcony overlooking the pool/courtyard area. At check-in, the receptionist was pleasant and effecient. I think I saw one elevator was broken; by the reception area. I got up to my room and was pleased with everything. The room was large, clean, no signs of mold, no bedbugs to the best of my knowledge, and I found everything to be operational and working fine. It was certainly not an olympic sized pool but I never saw more than 4 people in it so that wasn't a problem. Plenty of lounge chairs around the pool and ice water and towels were available right at the pool. I never had to hunt for a parking spot and I don't think there were any charges tacked on for having a car there (parking is limited throughout KW). I did not use the free shuttle service. I did not eat any meals there but both the cabana bar and restaurant looked nice. The girl at the concierge desk seemed to always be at her desk (during the day) and seemed to be very helpful every time I walked by and saw her working with somebody. I was trying to leave one morning for a dive trip but found a tractor trailer delivering food supplies in my way. I went to the desk and the manager was very helpful and I was on my way with little delay. Most every time a maid passed me in the hall, I was greeted. As for some of the negative comments, first of all, know that Key West is known for being a laid back town. Personally, that's part of why I like going there. Second of all, it is and always has been in a hurricane area. Sheraton Suites is on the South side of the island and is more vulnerable to hurricanes and damage. The entire island is recovering from a pretty hard hit. Give them a little time to recover but from what I could tell, the hotel is in pretty good shape now. To compare it to any place or any Sheraton that is not oceanside and recovering from a major storm is simply unfair. There are a lot of construction materials around the parking lot so I suspect they have a good bit more work to complete. The video checkout was down when I left so I went down to the desk. Again, the staff was very pleasant and courteous and I was on my way in no time. I will certainly stay there again. Everybody is different. Your mileage may vary.

I think this place gets a bad rap!

by TripAdvisor Member bikerchick04

Before leaving for Key West, I must admit I was a bit nervous because of the recent bad reviews given to the Sheraton Suites. I recommend that you take these reviews with a grain of salt. Our stay was wonderful. Our suite was on the first floor overlooking the ocean. We were in one of the recently remodeled suites and it was lovely. The bathroom was decorated with dark wood and full of marble. The sweet sleeper bed was so "sweet". The little kitchen was perfect for mixing an early evening drink before heading out for the night. Booker the shuttle driver was a character. We loved hearing his stories as he drove us to and from downtown (using a different route each time). We loved our stay and would recommend this Sheraton to anyone who asks. Key West is a blast and I cannot wait to get back there again. I have the "Keys disease".

Comments