320 Simonton Street, Key West, Florida, 33040, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

A Key West tradition

While I did not stay here the past few years, I have friends that did the past 2 October's and I have toured the property, spent time at the resort both poolside and inside a guesthouse, plus spoken to the property managers several times.

This resort is ADULTS ONLY and consists of 5 separate living areas:

The Inn @ Simonton Court (9 rooms)--a group of unique rooms that were formerly part of a cigar factory, none are alike, all are charming

The Manor House (2 rooms)--- an old restored shotgun house and each room is poolside

The Cottages (9 rooms)--- an all-kitchenette, private home-type room and set for 2 couples

The Mansion (6 rooms)--- a romantic Victorian residence

The Townhouse (4 rooms)--- the most elegant accomodation, 2 story secluded suites which share small pools and face the courtyard and can be configured to accomodate many guests

This resort has a high number of return guests due to its location, service, accomodations and many that I interacted with seemed to feel that all guests were part of the "family"

Unique Quality: This ADULTS ONLY resort has:

Four pools
    A hot tub
    Porches and patios
    Complimentary continental breakfast
    Non-Smoking in rooms
    Minimum stays with deposits required
    All units have private bath, air conditioning, ceiling fans, vable TV, VCR, phones, safe & refrigerator
    Many garden areas, secluded areas, and quiet areas
    Low season = June 1 through September 30

Directions: 1 block north of Duval Street in the middle of Old Town

More about Simonton Court Historic Inn and Cottages

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member worldtravelguy

Girlfriend and I spent a weekend at Simonton Court and enjoyed it. Stayed in Periwinkle Room. A bit pricey but cute and great location. Close to the action of Duval Street but quiet and quaint. Nice bed and furnishings. However, was very small room, ceiling fan made lots of noise and the shower was grungy. So, overall nice, could use a bit of work, great location and comfy. Also, 3 night minimum is difficult for those that just want a weekend away!

Must defend our very favorite place!

by TripAdvisor Member fenchurch1

We stay at Simonton Court every year in July and have never had anything but truly exceptional service. We find the staff to be very friendly and funny, and they can always recommend a restaurant, boat trip, etc. The grounds are beautiful - it is an island of relaxation and solitude yet only a block from the fun of Duval Street. Cheap? No, but NOTHING on Key West is cheap. Simonton is well worth the $$. Every year we book for the next year before we check out - it is that good!

The best B&B yet!

by TripAdvisor Member aerofl

My husband and I recently stayed at the Simonton Court with two other couples for one night. We were given the task of finding a place to stay as close as possible to Duval Street (i.e. within walking distance) with a room allowance of $250 per couple. As anyone who has stayed in Key West can attest, that was no small task. The Simonton Court was recommended by a business associate and met our needs perfectly.

We arrived mid-afternoon on a Saturday and were able to park our cars (2) just outside the entrance while we checked in and were shown our rooms. We stayed in TH-2 (The Bamboo Suite) and TH-6 (Travelers Palm). This was actually the bottom floor of a 2 story building with two more rooms on the upper floor. Our accomodations included 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, a small living area and a small, well supplied kitchen. Two of the bedrooms had the bath en suite and the third bedroom accessed their full bath just down a short hall from their room. Perfection! We entered through a lovely, lush courtyard with a small "dipping" pool and plenty of outdoor seating in a private enclosed patio area. This particular building could actually accomodate 5 couples in 5 rooms with 5 baths, or could be used in several different configurations for independent travelers. (I believe TH-2 is only reserved as a two bedroom suite and TH-6 can be reserved completely independently of the rest of the first floor, with its own entrance, but no access to the living room or kitchen).

We were shown the rest of the 2 acre property and we were all pleasantly surprised at the beautiful landscaping, 4 pools and the remarkable feeling of serenity just a block off Duval. Parking in Key West is always an issue and our business associate told us that the Simonton Court has dedicated off street parking spaces (limited) for a small fee, I believe $20 a night. We comsidered this a great bonus and had reserved spaces when we made our room reservations. It was a great choice, as we parked out cars and didn't move them (or think about them) for the rest of our stay.

We thought the accomodations were terrific. For my husband and myself, this is the fourth B&B we've tried in Key West and by far the best. We certainly weren't expecting the Ritz. The rooms were charmingly furnished, queen or king beds, on the small side. Our room, TH-6, had an ensuite bath, TV, independently controlled AC, TV, refrigerator. Plenty of towels and toiletries in the bath. The toilet and the shower were closed off from the bedroom by louvered doors and, yes, there was no shower curtain. I can understand how this might not work for two unrelated people sharing a room, but here in Southwest Florida where I have lived for 16 years, I would rather have no shower curtain than a moldy, mildewed one as is so often the case you find in this hot, humid environment. The shower was large and the water pressure great. There was no problem with water from the shower spraying the toilet area. I will say that storage space in our room was extremely limited. There was no closet, only hooks on the wall, and really, no dresser or draws to speak of. For a one night stay, this wasn't a big deal, but for a more extended stay, you might want to ask about each particular room's storage capabilites.

While some strolled Duval Street in the late afternoon, the rest of us sat in the lovely courtyard and enjoyed a bottle of wine. We felt as if we were sitting in the beautiful garden of a friend's home. Although there were others guests nearby, it was a quiet, lovely time shared with friends. (No children at this resort, as is their policy), This location is perfect for exploring the Old Town of Key West and we easily walked everywhere. It was easy to pop back in to Simonton Court during the day and evening to cool off, grab a cool drink from our frig (which, much to our delight, held pre-chilled glasses), or just to put our feet up for a few moments before venturing out again.

The next morning was a lazy one, as the early risers walked into town for papers (we had two 7-Mile Bridge runners looking for race results) and those of us who were a little lazier took our sweet time. We all enjoyed the continental breakfast by the largest of the pools. Please remember, this is only a continental breakfast, and we found the selections more than adequate. Fruit juices, coffee, cereal, bagels, waffles and french toast. (Yes, the waffles and french toast were frozen and toasted, not fresh. I personally pop a frozen waffle into the toaster now and again, so I wasn't shocked at this short cut).

Regarding some of their policies - minimum stays, lost key charges, cancellation penalties - those are very typical of Key West accomodations. Especially for smaller accomodations, those policies can mean the difference between making it or not. As with any other travel reservations, each traveler should be aware of those restrictions when they make reservations. We were most certainly told of the policies at the Simonton Court when we made the reservations and agreed to them.

We would all definitely stay at the Simonton Court again. For my husband and myself, this was the best of our B&B experiences in Key West. That doesn't mean that we won't keep looking, but we would wholeheartedly recommend the Simonton Court to our friends and family.

Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member kdhnow

We stayed at Simonton Court Feb. 27-Mar. 2, 2006. We had the Royal Palms Suite. It was absolutely wonderful. A beautiful view overlooking the townhouse swimming pool, which was in a gorgeous courtyard. The bathroom was perfect. Extremely large, with a roman tub and separate shower. The king bed was very comfortable. The entire suite was beautifully decorated. Breakfast was the standard continental, but very fresh, and cheerfully served with excellent coffee. The location is great. Just one block off of Duval Street, and within walking distance to anything you would want to see. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and the grounds are beautiful. We will stay here again on our next trip to Key West. (Be sure and check out the Butterfly Conservitory...It was awesome!)

Staying in Style in Key West!

A group of 14 stayed here while celebrating a Surprise 50th Birthday Party for our sister! When we arrived on the last day of a really hot July, the staff had everything ready for us and even helped us surprise the birthday girl! The walkway entering the Court from Simonton Street is an impressive garden and takes you down the center of the Court with cottages on both sides to a large pool with huge palm trees surrounding it and the Mansion to the left of it. Grouping people together for lodging was easy as there were plenty of variations of accommodations to choose from. We especially chose this place because it was Adult only (18+) and the pools never close....and the fact that it was really close (1 block) to Old Town Key West was a big plus! The poolside continental breakfast offered a variety of fresh bagels, fruit, etc. We especially enjoyed the french toast made to order! We would swim and eat breakfast, read the complimentary paper and relax while each of the others in our group awoke to join us! The rooms were clean and comfortable but very warm as these cottages are old and original historical cottages which made the A/C work hard! It was an extremely hot summer and the cottages' upstairs sleeping quarters were not cool enough for comfortable sleeping. The downstairs was cool and we tried to keep the main door closed but we were in and out a lot. Our cottage had a small kitchen with a large fridge and microwave. It had one bath which had two shower heads in an open L-shaped tiled shower. There was very little vanity space in our bathroom. There was hardly any space for luggage or clothing storage in the bedrooms of Cottage #5 so don't bring much with you! (You actually don't need much in the way of clothing down there anyway - it is a very casual and very warm climate!) Simonton Court is a block from Duval Street and we could all meander back and forth all day and night to the Old Town Clubs, Restaurants and Shops. Everyone of us staying here would certainly come again...and again...and again!

Great!

by TripAdvisor Member travelbh

A lovely haven in the heart of Old Town.
with private cabins, lots of pools, daily breakfast.

Steps to everyplace you need to be.
Our accomodations were great,the staff couldn't have been more helpful with recommendations, reservations, and general information.

Worth a visit, and a revisit!

A great place.

by TripAdvisor Member bobs1712

My husband and I stayed here (in MH1 Hibiscus) for six nights over Christmas and had a great time. We chose our room partly because it has a full kitchen and we weren't sure if the local restaurants would be open on Christas Day - we needn't have worried! The room is very nicely furnished with wooden floors and comfy sofas and chairs, nice big bed screened by a wooden partition and a huge walk in shower for two - the only negative is that you do get road noise and there also seemed like some kind of workshop situated on the front right outside it. We had our own private jacuzzi on the deck outside next to a lovely heated pool that is shared with a small studio next door - we pretty much had it to ourselves and would go in when the sun left the property at around 3.30p.m. (There are several small pools plus the main pool which is quite large - and cold!)Gardens are pretty, breakfast isn't bad at all and the staff are friendly. Location is spot on - close to Duval and restaurants, plus Faustos a handy deli / supermarket two blocks away. We have already booked to back for 7 nights over Christmas this year - in the same room - and can't wait!

Great and relaxing stay

by TripAdvisor Member all2elohim

I stayed at the Simonton for four nights for my honeymoon with my wife. We loved it. We stayed in the Orchid, MA-1, the only room facing the street (Eaton) and we had a spacious private wraparound balcony we enjoyed. The room and king size bed was very comfortable and cozy. The bathroom was large with a separate steel tub and shower. THe room overall is much more secluded than the other suites.
They take good care of the gardens and the whole staff is extremely accomodating.
THe whole atmosphere was relaxing and isolated while still being close to the hustle and bustle of Duval St. The pools are well taken care of and rarely used. Rent a moped. We had a blast on them.
The only mild complaint I had is the freshness of some of the breakfast fruit served. Other than that the bagels and french toast was delicious and our stay was excellent.

Poor customer service

This place is rude and overpriced and the customer service is what you'd find in Soviet Russia.

We also didn't like the way they do business: they kept a room deposit of $300, even though we only stayed one day (we had made a reservation for two days originally, but we canclled the second day more than 48 hours in advance).

When my secretary called to reason with them to return our money for the unused second day, they were obnoxious to her.

If you're going to Key West, pick a place that appreciates your business. This place charges ritz-carlton prices (we paid almost $300 per night) but treats customers like the roach motel.

a nice place to stay in key west

by gurki

hello everybody!
I am planning to go to key west at the end of september to celebrate my 40 birthday(oh my god!)
Does anybody know a real nice, affordable guesthouse, I am not sure if its nicer to stay close to Duval street, or better stay a little bit away from it, I heard from Casa Alante which is far away from Old Town.Has anybody been there?
Can anybody help me???
Please answer quick, before I get too old

by GUYON

Last year we lodged at the Blue Parrot Inn a B&B located nearTruman Street not far from Duval.
The prices are rather low. The rooms clean. And there is a small pool (the picture of the website shows it look larger).

by pulgaron

Happy 40th Inge. Would love to trade places with you. You come to Key West, I go to Munich for Octoberfest. Are the tourists driving you out of town?

by greenrs329

My husband and I stayed at a wonderful place in Key West that was just a block or two off of Duval Street. A neat walk and quieter...anyway, the place was called the Heron House and they have all kinds of rooms...the price is reasonable and the accomodations and people are wonderful. The pool is nice, but small and there is a sundeck on the roof..it is really neat--don't forget to see Hemingway's old houe while you are there!

by Robachu1

My wife and I stayed at the Simonton Court Inn. We had a wonderful cottage (called the Iris Cottage) with a complete kitchen as well as a loft and a private jacuzzi. There was also a small pool just outside our bedroom. In fact, I believe there were a total of three pools in the facility.
The Simonton was also an easy walk from Duval Street although it was still far enough away to be peaceful and quiet.

Re: Re: a nice place to stay in key west

by APostcard

We are planning to go to Key West for a quick trip (our 20th-wow) Memorial day weekend. We are trying to narrow it down between the Heron House and Simonton Court. Simonton Court is a bit pricey, about 350 a nite, but it looks beautiful. We were looking to stay either in one of the Townhouse suites, the MH-1 room outside one of the pools or SC8(which Ithink is near the cottages)....any advice????
Thanks

Re: Re: a nice place to stay in key west

by Robachu1

We stayed in the Iris Cottage at Simonton and were very pleased with the room. The whole courtyard is very beautiful especially the main house and the main pool area.

Our cottage had a full kitchen in case we wanted to do our own cooking (we didn't) and of course there are plenty of good places to catch a bite within walking distance. It's a good thing because the breakfast at the Simonton was not what one would expect considering the price, that is unless someone happens to like toaster waffles.

Nevertheless, we had a wonderful time there and would not hesitate to stay at the Simonton again..........we'd just eat somewhere else.

Comments