Southern Cross Hotel

326 Duval Street, Florida, 33040, United States

Satisfaction Average

• Stephanie-LynnR's Profile Photo

Bad news bears... or roaches

Everything was great when we checked in. The hotel is under renovation so looks very updated and clean from the lobby.... however, the room was a shoebox with a bathroom somehow built into an existing closet, old wicker furniture and complimentary roaches! I called the emergency number (which strongly suggests 'EMERGENCIES' only).For 280/night I wanted to be moved to another room. Did not have any luck calling both of the numbers listed for hotel guests. At check out I suggested pest control to be done as I killed 2 roaches. I explained where I left these carcasses although I wanted to put them in a cup and drop them off at the front desk for the gentleman. He offered NO condolences and did not even attempt to resolve this issue.

The pool looked like it was ready to use but was still 'under construction'. We were woken up at 4 am from feline mating calls and then again at 8 am by the sound of distinct jack hammering from the remodeling construction they were going through.

my experience was so bad that I will be going out of my way to let as many people know as I can!

• Great Location and well priced

The Southern Cross Hotel is perfectly situated as it is located at 326 Duval Street. The hotel sits towards the Northern end of Duval in the Central Historic District of Old Town Key West. The hotel has a charming history as it happens to be Key West's earliest hotel celebrating its 112th year. Currently, the hotel is comprised of three buildings. I first stayed at the hotel in May of 2010 for Memorial Day Weekend. I stayed there at the advice of friends- advice that I am glad I followed.
    Renner (hotel manager) was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and efficient in checking us in. We took the catamaran down from Fort Myers Beach. We arrived well before check in and departed well after check out, however; Renner kept our fishing poles, dive gear and luggage safely secured. The SoCro does not have common hotel ammenties such as a pool, restaurant and parking, but come on man, who needs that when you want to stay on the wildest part of Duval? With rooms under $175 and Fat Tuesday, Irish Kevin's, Hogs Breath Saloon, Captain Tony's, Durty Harry's, Ricks and Sloopy Joe's all easily within walking distance, I'm telling you that the Southern Cross is the place to stay.
    The only negative comment I have is that one of the office clerks issued a key to my room to a friend of a friend that should not have been given a key. I must say that Renner did his due diligence and took care of that matter appropriately.
    Overall, the group had a wonderful time and my girlfriend and I are returning next month!

Unique Quality: The Southern Cross Hotel has the perfect location at 326 Duval Street if you want to be located in the heart of the Central Historic District of Old Town Key West. My room was located in main building which sits directly on Duval Street. The room had the oddest bathroom ever, however; opened up to a huge shared porch that looked down onto Duval. Great for late night drinks and people watching.
    Look elsewhere if you are looking for hauty-taughty service and need to have someone fetch you your car. Heck, you do not need a car in Old Town! No pool or fruit and Champagne waiting for you in the room. However, take my advice and stay at the SoCro if you are looking to have a fun stay on Duval Street.
    I have stayed at the La Concha Crowne Plaza (formerly the Holiday Inn and nothing more then an above average Holiday Inn) which is two blocks South on Duval and will satisfy those who have more vacation needs. Visit the Ambrosia on Fleming if you want peace and quiet, the Galleon for awesome views that won't strain your wallet, The Pier House (voted #1 almost every year) or Sunset Key by Westin if you can drop $500+ per night.
    I hope this review is helpful to many of you. See you in Key West!

Directions: North end of Duval in the Central Historic District of Old Town Key West.

• Yomonk1's Profile Photo

easy access to the bar/ nightlife

Right on Duval, stumble out of your door and into the Wild. Very small room but who's in Key West for the room anyway? Worst aspect is that it is right next to merchant shops on Duval so expect thumping music to wake up that hangover first thing in the AM. Buzz Kill....

Unique Quality: Location, location, location

Directions: Right smack dab in the middle of Duval St

• squidly2's Profile Photo

friendly, close, surprisingly quiet

The management here was super friendly, and the room was clean. We got the king bed room for about $100 - I guess there's only one of those so maybe we were lucky. Being on Duval Street is the way to go, so good enough price for the location for us. No a place for honeymooners, just folks going to enjoy the Key West experience!

Directions: In the middle of town!! walk to everything!

• Stephanie-LynnR's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Everything was great when we checked in. The hotel is under renovation so looks very updated and clean.... however, the room was a shoebox with a bathroom somehow built into an existing closet, old wicker furniture and complimentary roaches! I called the emergency number (which strongly suggests 'EMERGENCIES' only).For 280/night I wanted to be moved to another room. Did not have any luck calling both of the numbers listed for hotel guests. At check out I suggested pest control to be done as I killed 2 roaches. I explained where I left these carcasses although I wanted to put them in a cup and drop them off at the front desk for the gentleman. He offered NO condolences and did not even attempt to resolve this issue.