Calypso Cay Vacation Villas

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 44% more and rated 25% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Worst Villa I've ever stayed in

After check-in, we found that we didn't have all the supplies listed on the inventory sheet---they were prompt at bringing them but still had some oversights that needed to be taken care of. (When we later moved to another room, we had the same problem!!!) The de'cor is dated but the rooms WERE clean- overall size was adequate. Wifi was VERY limited and access was sporadic at that. We were robbed the second night---do not ever get a downstairs unit. WE initiated a room change and got a handicapped room that you need to know has an open bathroom----some will be OK with that while others will not. We tried daily to speak with the manager.We were given 2 different names and we left messages for both---nothing. We NEVER heard from the manager! The fifth day after our robbery, WE found the manager in. The conversation with her was VERY disappointing and even hostile. We have never encountered such an unprofessional manager in our lives! We will never go there again and will encourage anyone else to do the same!

• Worst Stay Ever!

The place was aweful from the moment we got there. The room smelled musty, the furniture was all scratched and falling apart. It looked like they got it from a thrift store. The showers didn't drain so by the end of the shower you were standing in a few inches of dirty water. The room also had giant roaches. We were so grossed out we only stayed one nite!! The hotel staff was unbelievalbly rude and treated us like trash. Everyone from security, front desk staff and even the GM Lisa Torres were harrassing us by the end of the stay because they didn't like our complaints! When I tried going higher up to the company, they refused to give me a number to call. I guess they were afraid of being told on!! DO NOT EVER STAY AT THIS PLACE AND TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!!

More about Calypso Cay Vacation Villas

Love Calypso Cay

by TripAdvisor Member missnanse

I bought a Timeshare here and was really anxious since I had not seen the property but I was thrilled when we arrived and found our 3 bedroom 3 bath accomodations to be clean and new and spacious . I bought this so my whole family could celebrate Christmas in Florida and WDW. My parents, sister, her 2 girls and my husband and daughter and son, 9 of us with plenty of room, my parents and one niece had their own unit so we had privacy and enough sleeping room for us. The personell were wonderful and helpful, the private patio's were really nice to sit out on and have our coffee in the mornings. I am so happy with my new home away from home.

Hell Hole

by TripAdvisor Member msaravia1212

This was the worst place we have every stayed at in Orlando! Calypso Cay was trying to sell us a timeshare! (If you are trying to selling a timeshare should you not have your guest stay at the location where they are going to buy?) They put us in the Ameri Suite in front of the time shares… The Hotel was a DUMP! The front desk staff was rude. They wanted to put a 350 dollar hold on my credit card as a threat to take the 90 minute presentation. We were not impress with the timeshare price! 14000 for one week a year! ARE YOU SERIOUS! Then the sell representatives were trying to pressure us to buy! When they got NO’s they got mad and walked away! By the way they charge $15 for housekeeping! The bed was so bad you can feel the bed spring! The rug had spots and smelled! The elevators were cleaned with dirty mops because the smell was horrible! If they treat guest who are thinking of purchasing a timeshare this bad image how they treat people who have bought! We checked out a day early to avoid this hell hole…. This was seriously the worst place we have stayed at Orlando!

Would Not Go Back

by TripAdvisor Member Meg32

We stayed at the Calypso Cay Vacation Villas as part of promotional package. We paid for an upgrade and was told that this was a 5-star resort. Far from it!

First of all, my confirmation letter required us to check in at the Calypso Cay Welcome Centre between 10am and 3pm. No mention was made of a 4pm check-in. We arrived at the Welcome Centre at a12:15pm. We we given a 'validation" note and told that we had to check-in at the Owners check-in which was in another building and warned that the rooms may not be ready since check-in is not before 4pm. I was angry that no mention was made of this before.. At the Owner's check-in, we were told the same but that they would try to have the room in available in 90 mins. There was another lady with a yong child and all her baggage also waiting. When we check back, we were asked to wait another 30-45 minutes. Other famililies were arriving and were also being told that they had to wait. 45 minutes later, we were given the keys and told that the condo was ready. On arrival at the condo, we were surprised when we opened to door to find a lady still cleaning. She too was surprised to see us.

We stayed in Building 24, # 211. At first glance, the condo seemed clean, until you settled in. The blaconly was dirty, dirty, dirty!!. Floor and chairs do not look like they have been cleaned in years. The dining room chairs we would not go near. The seats were very, very dirty and covered with stains. The sofa in the living room was dingy and dirty.

On the morning of my second day, I noticed blood stains on the spread in the master bedroom and that the bedskirt also had blood-like stains. I called the Front Desk to have them changed. I was told that it would be taken care of that same day. I three the spread in a corner and told my family to avoid the soiled area of the bedskirt.

I was totally surprised that on returning to the condo, they had not been changed. I called again and a maintenance worker arrived with a blanket and sheets. I explain that it was the bed spread and bedskirt that needed changing. He explained that it had to be handled by housekeeping the next day. Needless to day three calls and 2 days later, nothing still had not been done. On the third day I gvae up, since I was only there for 4 nights.

Don't even try using the telephones. Tottally useless. Extreme interference and crossed lines. Just wasn't able to carry on a conversation. In frustration, one evening I called the Front Desk to complain about the phone line and was told that the regular staff left at 4:30 and I should call back the next day. I didn't bother. Incidentally, on checking out at the Welcome Centre, I overheard a lady complaining about the phone lines and she was staying at one of the hotels on the property.

If there is anything positive about the this resort is that the grounds are well-maintained. There are at least 3-4 pools, free shuttle to Disney, shopping, Seaworld and other attractions.

Perfect relaxing vacation

by TripAdvisor Member soulard_cls

I own my timeshare at Calypso Cay Villas. This was the first time I actually used my week since I bought five years ago. (I have had great exchange experiences through Interval International). We had five adults in a two bedroom condo. We all had an excellent time.

The week of Memorial Day is an excellent time for Orlando. The weather was perfect. The resort appeared very crowded at night based on the number of cars in the parking lot. But every day we enjoyed the pool from 9:30-2 ish and almost had the pool to ourselves. Maybe 10 other people. I assume they were all at the parks since we were just 5 miles away. We went to the Magic Kingdom and Sea World from 3 or 4 until close and experienced very few lines. It was great. Two of the days several in our group drove to beaches on both the gulf and ocean sides.

We loved the condo experience being able to grocery shop and have meals at home to save on expense. Our lesson learned for next time is to pack a suitcase with some basic kitchen supplies like salt and pepper, coffee, creamer, condiments, laundry detergent, beach towels etc. We bought a styrofoam cooler to pack our own drinks and snacks to the pool and beach.

We will definitely return.

Dirty, dirty, dirty!

by TripAdvisor Member CapeCod314

I originally wrote a raving review about Calypso Cay Villas back in May of 2006. All I can say is, what a difference a few years make. We took our time share week here and was looking forward to a wonderful week with our children. I must warn everyone that this place is extremely dirty. Mind you, a few years ago during my stay, it was immaculate. Not sure what happened since 2006, but I will never step a foot back in this place or expose my children to these dirty, unacceptable conditions. Oringinally we were booked in the tower overlooking the pool and were moved to building 24 after I complained about the unacceptable conditions. Like a previous review stated, I also saw roaches in the room which completely disgusted me and set the pace for a terrible vacation. Other conditions we noted were as follows:
- room reaked of bug spray
- heavy odor of cigarette smoke trying to be hidden by another
type of spray
- walls were stained with some type of oil as if previous guests
leaned up against them and housekeeping couldn't wash
or clean the walls
- unsanitary box spring and sheets
- silver fish bugs found in linens - very disgusting. They look
like little shrimp creeping around
- blankets were crusty and had holes
- overall, this facility is unsanitary, questionably dirty, in need of
good exterminator and a staff that thrives on cleanliness
- human hair all over the room from previous guests

The desk staff couldn't care less of our concerns. The cleaning staff tried to address our concerns but their response was very slow. I ended up cleaning the shower with bleach myself.

Stay away from this place unless you enjoy unsanitary, dirty conditions, piles of red ants under the tables outside that should be tended to and a host of problems.

I WILL NEVER RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the board of health in Kissimmee? Shame on the property owners!

Bed bugs and bad service

by TripAdvisor Member FLtraveler64

We just got back from our one week stay at Calypso Cay Suites. We have never been so horrified with any hotel experience. When we first noticed small blood stains on the sheets, we just thought the hotel needed new bed linens. When we saw actual fresh blood stains, we at first thought my daughter had a nose bleed and my husband had some scratch on his leg. No way. After squishing a "beetle" on one of the beds and discovering red blood when it was crushed, we started to wonder. We'd never seen bed bugs so didn't know what they were. I searched the bed before we went to bed and found nothing (except blood stains here and there), but the following morning, as soon as I woke up, I searched the beds and found about 8 bed bugs actively crawling around the two beds and pull out sofa. Now that I've read up on the Internet about them, I realize two of them were the poppy-seed sized hatchlings (which do feed....they have red blood squirt out when squished) and the others were adult sized. My son has a rash around his middle...I can only guess from laying in the bed bug castings. While I wouldn't necessarily blame a hotel for an infestation (although wonder if they continue to rent that room out), we also found the place to be dirty, and the staff to be unfriendly at best. Desk clerks seemed unhappy at their work, did not smile, and treated us as if we were bothering them if we asked a question about something. I would strongly urge travellers to find another place to stay.

Loved the stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member Vicfonz

We just came from Calypso Cay last weekend...July 19-26...This was our second stay in Orlando...I went on this site reading the reviews and went there expecting the worse....All and all it was really actually one of the best vacations we have been on. and we vacation once a summer...We stayed in the vacation villas(we own a time share in Maui so we just traded for the week)..ofcourse I walked into the Villa immediatly looking for roaches/bugs...We also checked in expecting the worse service..my wife said to her suprise they were really pleasent...Ok back to the room..the villa was very spacious for my wife,myself and two children (6,8)..we got a room on the bottom floor so that was awesome!!..no stairs to climb..and a quick walk to the pools,gym..etc...anyway...the room also had a porch/patio which was inclosed with a screen..very nice...the room was very clean..internet was also a plus..other bonus..big table to eat on,bar stools,cold air,mini golf,bar-b-ques,basketball court,gym,game room,4 pools to choose from w/2 of them having slides(kids loved the "crab" pool),daily functions the hotel would put together(fun time hair braiding,tattoos,games,etc)..and best of all 2 bars one by each pool also offering drink mixxing classes!!..ok the cons..were I did see a couple of roaches in the room most of them seem to be dieing so the hotel must be doing something..and 1 of them was very! big...,the pools would get very crowded with some children not following "pool rules"..every morning the gardners would start blowing around 7am...(I actually didnt mind it as I used this as my "alarm" im from california ..but some of u might want to sleep in)..anyway..i did notice when we went into the other hotel to rent 4 free the clubs to mini golf the guy was kinda quick with us...so maybe the hotel service sucks..but dealing with the people at the villas and the bar they were very kool...so all in all..if I go back to Orlando I would stay here without looking else where..I would also highly recomend this place and sneek in a couple of friends/family for the stay(plenty of room pull out couch)The year before we stayed @ celebrity resorts and thats another story in itself....oh...also I think the other hotel offered a free breakfast that I never looked into..but I wish I would have took advantage of that aswell!There is LOTS to do @ this hotel/Villa..regretfully we didnt have enough time to take advantage of them all "(

Won't Return - Roach!

by TripAdvisor Member OHjeanbean

My husband made our first timeshare exchange for Calypso Cay and didn't know exactly what to expect. After staying there for a week, there were enough combined problems that made me change my mind from wanting to stay there again to not returning:

1) We arrived 2 hours before the 4 pm check-in to see if our room was available. It wasn't... so we went out and had a late lunch. We returned at 4 pm and was told our room still wasn't ready. After about 10 minutes, my husband asked the clerk to check on the room. He called housekeeping over his walkie-talkie and we could hear the exchange. There was some sort of maintenance issue with the room and we were asked again to wait. When we asked about the issue, we were offered an alternate room, given a folder with a map and some info of the resort and made our way to the room. We stayed in the "vacation villas" section of the resort. There is also a hotel where we inadvertantly visited for check-in (the staff didn't seem to care about the people in line in front of us, slow responses, eye-rolling, etc.).

We had asked before getting our keys about the shuttle to Disney, where we planned to spend our whole week. Note- I had called the resort in advance to verify shuttle service before booking and was told service did exist. But I was disappointed to find out that there is only a shuttle to Epcot and that you have to go there and then take Disney transportation to the other theme parks. Plus, the shuttle only ran 3 times in the AM and 3 return times in the PM AND that we had to make "reservations" for the shuttle in advance. Since we don't like planning so much on our vacations- we were disappointed that we couldn't just hop on a continuous shuttle to the parks. Luckily, we had a rental car and it became a non-issue (except for the extra parking fees which we gladly traded in for freedom to come and go when we wanted).

2) After getting the keys to our room, we went up and were pleasantly pleased with the set-up: tv and dvd player in the bedroom, tv-dvd/vcr in the living room, computer with Internet, full-kitchen, washer and dryer, adjustable thermostat, jacuzzi tub. We immediately went to Wal-mart one block away to get groceries.

3) When we returned to our room and spending some time in it, we discovered a few things: the sliding glass door to the screened in deck didn't lock (the highway was literally 40 ft from our deck), the fan in the bedroom squeaked too loudly to use, the tub drained slowly, and there was a cockroach egg on the bathroom floor, and a silverfish bug running around. Being pretty low-key people and accepting that things can't be perfect and that the south has bugs, we didn't make a big deal. I think my husband was more fine with it all than me- but I tried.

4) We like to sleep-in on our vacations- but received a phone call the first morning from the front-desk at 9 am. They called the wrong room. Pretty frustrating- and made me think they were a bit disorganized.

5) In the middle of the week, we woke up to the smoke alarm going off around 9 am. Very strange.

6) Later in the week, I saw a roach on the bathroom sink counter while I was brushing my teeth. Very disconcerting expecially since we were keeping the condo clean.

7) We were told that we could have a late check-out, as long as we called the day in advance. Check out is at 10 am, but our flight was after 3 pm, so we wanted to leave at 1 pm. When I called, I wasn't granted the 1 pm, but was given the noon check-out.

8) On check-ut day, housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:30 am and used their key to come in. We were still in bed and I think they noticed our stuff in the living room before I had time to run out and yell at someone. Then while we were packing, at 10 am, AGAIN, housekeeping came into the room, this time without knocking. They said they didn't have paperwork about our late check-out. Very disorganized!!!

I didn't complain to the staff about many of the issues since I knew they couldn't do anything. Instead, I noted all the issues on the survey and left it in the room. I don't think anyone really did anything so wrong, I wouldn't return-- it was more the general disorganized and low to average standards environment of the place and "getting what you pay for" in my opinion. It's not a Marriott or some fancy golf resort- but I do wish it was nicer since it is only a few miles from Disney and so convenient to restaurants and shopping. Overall, I wouldn't return, simply because I hope there is a better place out there I can get with my exchange. Oh, and the roach thing really bothered me.

Not a bad exchange

by TripAdvisor Member seabow2

We gave up our one bedroom in Puerto Vallarta in exchange for a large 3 bedroom at this location. We had plenty of space to accomodate a family of four plus in-laws. The kids had their own room with a television and video games. The living room comes with a flat screen television hooked to surround sound. On those occassions where we stayed in, we enjoyed watching movies. This was an overall great deal for us becuase of the size of the unit. There were no problems with bugs or cleanliness. There isn't much offered in the way of outside activities, but it was okay becuase we spent most of the time at Disney or the beach. Most importantly, keep in mind that these are the villas for the owners. They have a hotel on site that shares the same facilities. They use the hotel to attract future owners to the site. So, why not take advantage of the free breakfast???

• Feb 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Made a reservation 2 months in advance, paid the balance in full. Rented a Villa for 5 days, checked in at 10pm to wait on a long line full of unhappy customers waiting for their rooms.
    Customers were waiting 2 hours and even longer due to "double booked rooms."

Staff told us that the "computers were down" and that they will be fixed shortly. Short time turned into a 3 hour wait for a room!! Could not even check into the Villa because they were all booked, they put me in a "holding room" which was unfinished, smelt like mold, bathroom was disgusting! I finally checked in @ 1am and was way too tired to leave.

The next morning they told me that they will get me into a Villa as soon as somebody checked out and call my cell when one is available. Went to a park, came back @ 9pm. Manager told me there were no rooms available, I would have to stay in that room one more night! I totally flipped, got my luggage and checked out!

Thank God there was a nearby friend who's house I had to stay in because all other hotel rooms were over priced and booked being that it was a long weekend.

Manager told me that they will credit my credit card and I still see no credit up to now! Horrible experience, never again!! Families were there with little children who were tired and hungry. Unacceptable!!!!