6051 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34747, United States
Priceline.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 51% less but rated 49% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Howard Johnson Maingate East

Great Location, Great Value!

by TripAdvisor Member airamVancouver_Bc

We stayed here for 7 nights in May 2004 and had a great time. I had low expectations for the hotel after reading all the bad reviews but was pleasantly surprised to found them all untrue! Yes, it definately could use some renovations but for the money you can't expect to much. The room was a bit rundown but it was VERY clean. Maids did a nice job, though they forgot to replace the coffee several days. We barely spent anytime in the room, just a comfortable place to sleep and relax after long days at the parks. The best thing about this hotel is the location! There is so much within a short walking distance. Just a block away is a Publix grocery store which we visited every night and bought fresh fruit and pastries for breakfast each morning. This saved us about $10 a day. There is a Walgreens just down the street were we had our digital pictures transfered to cds for only $4. There's also lots of restaurants and gift shops nearby. We were even able to take public transit from the hotel to SeaWorld instead of paying $28 for a shuttle! We used the free shuttles to Disney World everyday and saved money on parking. We would definately recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to save money and get away from Disney at night. Do spend the extra money and get a room with a fridge/microwave, they come in very handy!

Had to see for myself

I read alot of bad reviews about this hotel on trip advisor so I was a little weary about staying at this hotel. When we got there we were completly surprised by the cleaness of this hotel. Everyone was more than friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and bug free. The beds were comfortable and every day when we came back from Disney our room was spotless. The pool was excellent and the poolside bar was really nice as well. Please do not beleive all the bad reviews on this hotel. The people that had something bad to say about it were expecting a five star hotel. If you want to pay for that, than stay there. For $39.00 a night it is well worth your money. The transportation to the parks was excellent and on time. We never missed a shuttle and the drivers were very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an inexpensive way to spend a week in Florida.

Wasn't As Bad As Some People Say

We checked in July 5th, 2004 for 5 nights.. no problem with check in. Room was clean never seen a roach a ant a flea nothing..our maid never messed with none of our stuff our room was clean everyday when we came back from the parks, she left us coffee everyday for the coffee pot. lined our cosmetics up on the sink everyday. The pools were nice warm and clean. For about $40 bucks a night I don't feel we went wrong its close to the Disney resort area all in all it was a nice hotel and we will stay there again on next vacation..

Was a pleasurable stay

We stayed 8 nights at this hotel and every night there was very nice. The room was always cleaned and only had one slight problem in the room which was taken care of immediately. I would definetely stay at this hotel again.

Get what you pay for

Hotel was alright for the moneypaid. It is ideal for WDW and Seaworld. Rooms are average/basic and there is a musty smell, however considering how humid it is, that does not surprise me. As for all the comments about the staff, they were all friendly and helpful but yes the shop was closed.
Consider this hotel as a base

And we thought Hurricane Frances was a nightmare.!

The only helpful staff person was the cleaning lady. We stayed on the second floor and water from the rain entered our door and we were told by staff to put extra towels at the door. Our phone didn't work and we asked for another phone. That one didn't work either. One of our hotel neighbors said her phone didn't work and the lady at the front desk said to her "What do you want me to do about it?" The tv stations with movies were in spanish (but we didn't have a translator) and if we wanted to rent a movie (in english)..we were told it would be $10.99 plus tax. We asked if the hotel had generators if the power were to go out (as we were there evacuating from Hurricane Frances) and we were told yes, but later found out that the only generators they had were for their computers. We asked if they knew of any place that was open for meals (they don't have a restaurant) and we were told to watch the news to see what was open. The staff was young and incompetent, and most didn't speak english. We will never stay there again.

What I recommend if you stay here is....

1. Bring your own scuba gear as the water flows
freely into your room as it rains.
2. Bring your own telephones as theirs seem to
work.
3. Bring your own meals (they do not have food)
4. Bring your own translator if you do not speak
Spanish as the staff and tv movies are not in
English, however you may purchase an
english speaking movie from them for
$10.99 plus tax.
5. Bring your own clean linens, as we didn't
have ours changed during our 3-night stay.

really a poor hotel

This is a rundown hotel which fools you when you see the pictures on the internet. We spent two miserable weeks there and I would have to say of all my years of travelling it is the worst hotel I have stayed at. The place has been rundown without any repairs, the toilet leaked, the tv was faulty, the sheet were always too small to stay on the bed and by the middle of the night you were sleeping on the mattress. We also had little ants all over the place. There are numerous other things but I won't bore you with the rest. Spend a little extra and go elsewhere and I just can't beleive that someone would give it a 3 star rating or higher. The wife and I never complain about things but this was really a bad hotel.

Great Value-Great Location

Not only was our room clean & comfortable....our kids truly enjoyed the kids eat free program. The pool area was great and the jacuzzi is super-sized. The variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance are awesome.

Fooled by internet pictures

I booked the hotel by internet pictures, boy was I upset by what I got. We booked a suite, which were two small rooms with poor lighting and dirty carpets. Thank God we weren't in the room alot. The internet makes this hotel beautiful, don't be fooled by pictures. The only thing good was it was easy to get to the parks from hotel. I think I would spend the extra money for a better hotel next time.

Comments