Clarion Hotel Maingate

Rated 19% higher but also costs 89% more than other 2 star hotels

More about Clarion Hotel Maingate

Quality Hotel at Reasonable Price

by TripAdvisor Member Travelling_Homer

Recently stayed (May 21-29) at the Clarion Hotel Maingate. The hotel looks nice from the outside and is in a good location. The back way to Disney should be enquired about since it will save you hassles with traffic. There are many food choices within site of the hotel - Golden Corral, Shoneys, Sizzler, Ponderosa, McDonald's, Burger King, and Denny's to mention a few.

Check in was smooth, but it was 1:00am in the morning. Got an excellent rate of $41 a night. The regular room rate is around $95 but I found a deal on a separate website and the Clarion chain will match any lower prices found and take off an additional 10%. Hard to beat that.

We had asked for a renovated room but we are not sure that we actually got one. The room was in great shape, no mold in the bathroom, the carpets looked clean and the furnishings reasonable. We did have problems with one bedside lamp and telephone but we didn't notice until the last night since we were not using them. The room came with a king-sized bed, a fridge and a microwave. We bought milk and cereal and had breakfast in the room. It was much cheaper than eating out. The air conditioning was quiet and we didn't hear anything from the rooms around us..

The common areas looked like they could use a little sprucing up but they were certainly alright. The pool area appeared busy, never used it, and it is open until 11:00pm. Parking was never an issue, consider parking around back as the walks from the car to the doors is likely shorter.

The hotel offers a breakfast buffet but we did not eat there. There was an internet terminal but it was always busy so we did not try it.

Be sure to put your "Do not Disturb" sign out as housecleaning starts early in the day. They were knocking on our door around 8:00am.

Hope this helps everyone as we consulted this website when looking at our choices. This is a solid hotel if you can get a good price. Would definitely stay here again - got the wife's seal of approval.

More than satisfactory for the money!

by TripAdvisor Member Agent3

We did a **** load of research into our Orlando Hotel Choice as we had been saving hard for the trip and wanted the best we could afford. Having read many horror stories on this and other review sites about other hotels, we were recommended the Clarion by "Travel Counsellors". (always find us good accomm)

Being our first trip to Florida, we didn't know what to expect in the way of hotels but we were not disapointed, Cannot understand some of the other bad reviews, even some at same time we went. They must have been very unfortunate or very fussy! The room was very good size and always very clean. Bathroom ok (how long do you spend in it anyway!). Breakfasts admitedly basic but our kids loved them (aged 5 & 7). They also loved the pool and quite often wanted to come back to it after about 5 hours at the parks!

The staff were very helpful (although we never got told about the shortcut, shame!) and the pool bar lady very freindly. We arrived late at night having got lost on way from orlando international and the staff were very welcoming and helpful. (would always recommend getting taxi to hotel if landing after dark, and getting hire car sent to hotel in morning!)

As Orlando novices, we would say the location was ideal. Most of parks within 15 minutes drive (probably less with shortcut!) and there were plenty of good places to eat in the evening within walking/short drive distance away.

All in all, would thoroughly recommend the Clarion Maingate for anyone who wants a good value, clean hotel in Central orlando. Put it this way, we went onto a fantastic beachfront luxury apartment which cost 3 times the amount for 1 week, in Siesta Key on the Gulf for our second week (highly recommended after a week in fantastic but hectic Orlando!) and came back to Orlando to fly back on last day. We popped into the Clarion again and immediately felt comfortable and at home again! We will definately return one day.

Just average

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel (around 100$/night) and i think it's not a good value.
I chose it because of Disneyworld's proximity and complimentary shuttle but after all the hour of departure for shuttle isn't convenient (2h after park's opening) so i prefered to take my car and pay the parking.
The breakfast is good but not free and air conditionning on the ground floor is noisy.
Avantage : a computer with internet access near the front desk.

Better than average!

by TripAdvisor Member Juleschilly

After reading some reviews about this hotel I was more than a little worried - I needn't have been as the hotel was pretty good! The staff were courteous & helpful on the desk. The room was really spacious - we had a delux with 2 double beds, fridge, microwave & coffee maker which were really useful. The bathroom was compact but had everything we needed & the shower had decent power. The abundant supply of towels were changed every day (no matter what time we left the room) & shampoo etc. left every day - even though we hardly used it! Sure, the decor of the room was a little tired but it was all clean. The pool was smaller than expected but was the warmest outdoor pool I've ever been in. We even got in for a refreshing dip at 10pm after we'd been to the parks all day! I was a bit worried when we got there as it is in a busy part of the 192 but noise was never a problem & it was so easy to walk out to the abundance of restaurants nearby. FOr the money the hotel was excellent. By the way - we found a shortcut to the Disney parks on the last day(!) - go out the back & turn right, then left onto Sherberth Road & that takes you to Animal Kingdom first & then the rest of the parks - shame we didn't realise earlier. Loved Florida by the way but way too much to write here!

Recommended for the price

by TripAdvisor Member danield

We arrived on Feb 25 for 3 nights. Check in was quick. Pool temp. was 87 degree and perfect for those cold evening. Our room on the 5th floor was decent and clean. Restaurant breakfast was cheap but we also used the Dennis next door. Free internet acces in the lobby was a plus. Hotel is close to Disney. We paid 39$/night and were very happy with that. Hotel also have laundry service.

The perfect hotel for a Disney trip!

by TripAdvisor Member randdmom

This hotel was perfect for us. We had a mixup when we arrived and were given a room with 2 double beds instead of the king room with a pullout sofa bed. Because it was 1 am and the hotel was full, we didn't make arrangements for the new room until the morning. The manager on duty provided us with the upgrade at no charge and they moved us! We packed everything up and went on to Universal. When we returned, we picked up our new keys and found our luggage waiting for us in the new room. During breakfast the next morning, we were told of the short cut to the parks without asking, and a few days later someone asked again if we were aware of the back entrance to the parks! I loved being able to pack less knowing laundry facilities were available. I left our clothes unattended and had no problems. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the A/C was very cold! We loved that! Our room was at the end of the hall, so maybe that is why we sometimes didn't get everything restocked, but I called the front desk to request more shampoo and got a bag full of shampoo, soap, and 2 shower caps. We asked for toothpaste on the day before leaving because the gift shop was closed. She gave us 2 tubes! There are only a couple of things we'd like to see improved. The pool water was very cold considering it is supposed to be heated. We didn't ask to have the temp raised however. It never stopped my son from swimming! The chemical levels must be perfect. Our eyes didn't burn in the least and the water was clear. We were bothered by the strong smell of smoke in our hallway and at the pool. I think having a non-smoking floor should be a must! And it must be enforced! The breakfast buffet choices were basic, but it was inexpensive, and our son ate for free. The food quality was good. So was the coffee. We have stayed in 5 star luxury hotels in Hawaii and San Diego and find that the Clarion was just fine especially considering the value. We rather have more $$ to spend at Disney than in a hotel we spent only 8 to 10 hours a day at.

Don't miss the shortcut to Disney!

by TripAdvisor Member Carl_in_Tampa

I travel quite a bit and would consider this to be a "typical" quality hotel in a very touristy area. It IS a cut above the "average" hotel, with a spacious lobby, internet access computer in the lobby and high speed connections in the rooms.

Our room had a comfortable king-sized bed. The room had a microwave, frige and coffeemaker. A sofa-bed was in a separate alcove of the room which would give more privacy if there were kids or others traveling with you. Otherwise, it is not particurly functional because you can't sit on it and watch the TV because it is like being in another room.

The bathroom can only be described as TINY but functional.

Our particular room was directly above the swimming pool and spa which remains open until 11PM. If you are either a light sleeper or someone who goes to bed early you should ask for a room AWAY from the pool.

The hotel has its own (not free) hot breakfast buffet which is priced similarly to the Shoney's across the street. I have seen other posters recommend the Golden Corral or the Pondorosa breakfast bars nearby which are a little cheaper, but I have not had particularly good experiences at either of these chains.

If you bring a car you must obtain a parking pass to remain on the parking lot. It was not overcrowded when we were there, but there is a steak house next door and I suspect customers there may want to park on the hotel lot during busy times.

A previous poster regarding this hotel mentioned that on the last day of her visit she discovered a short-cut to the Disney parks from this hotel.

'Tis true. Drive out the back entrance of the hotel parking lot, turning right on Black Lake Road and go to the first intersection, which is Sherberth Road. Go left on Sherberth and this takes you a signal light at Osceola Parkway. There is a sign which says "All Disney Attractions" and indicates you should turn right. Then just follow the signs to whatever theme park you want to visit. This is particularly valuable if you are going to Animal Kingdom, which is the first park you will come to. If you go from your hotel down 192 to the Main Gate and then back to Animal Kingdom, you will have driven in a big circle out of the way.

We have an annual pass to the parks, and being from Tampa we sometimes just make a day trip out of it. When we DO stay overnight we usually stay at the Fairfield Inn in Lake Buena Vista, but it is a tiny bit more expensive than this Clarion and is farther away from the parks.

It is likely that our future overnights will be at this Clarion.

Nice Hotel, Good Value

This hotel was much nicer than we expected. We paid about $55 a night, the room was clean and big, comfortable bed and pillows, yummy breakfast buffet was about $8, the pool was nice and heated. The hotel was clean and the staff was very nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and stay there again myself.

Not so good

by TripAdvisor Member twcjen

This hotel is close to all amenities, cheap gift shops and even McDonalds. It also offers shuttle services to all universal studios, disney and seaworld and outlet mall shopping.

But the janitorial services are terrible. They don't clean out my garbage, and they gave me dirty, stained and ripped towels. The fan doesnt even work in the washroom, so when one goes poo poo the whole room stinks, and the worse thing is that you can't open the windows...cause a sign on the window says youre not allowed....the window is for viewing only. Thus you know how we would feel when one goes to the washroom. Henceforth the room has that wet humidty smell everytime we walk in, when asks front desk about the fan, they say its working. They didn't even bother to come in to the room to check, i guess they don't like the smell of our poo poo too....neither did we of course. Other than that everything was ok! I find the cleanest part of the hotel was the front desk, and the washrooms in the lobby.

Would i stay at the other clarion frachises again, such as comfort inn or travellodge....no...cause i don't like the smell of poo poo....and even though it maybe different at other locations...well...i'm not willing to try it again!

Yuck!

by TripAdvisor Member jccarey

I stayed at this hotel for one night only, and that was enough. I had booked 2 nights at the Comfort Suites down the street but had gotten in one day early. The Comfort Suites didn't have a room for me but suggested the Clarion. Oh My God. The first room they put me in, 518, was supposed to be an upgraded room. Why? because of the old microwave and old fridge? The room was old, old, old. Dirty walls, filthy-filthy carpet, smelled like an old damp basement, mildewy, furniture was stained and worn. It was supposed to have DSL, but did not. I called the desk and told them about my complaints and was switched to 416, another upgraded room. Hah! Exacatly like the one upstairs only this one had DSL...problem was it didn't work. It is now 10:30 pm and I am tired. I have the air on as high as it goes to dilute the stench. I am wary of bed linen in even the nicest hotels, so here I slept in sweat pants, socks and sweatshirt with hood up to avoid having to use blankets. The next morning I called the desk at the Comfort to see if my reserved room could be ready early and to tell the management about referring people to this hotel. I went over and viewed a room that was much, much better than the Clarions. Still, it wasn't what I needed after the nightmare before. I took a drive over to Lake Buena Vista and looked at a Spring Hills Suite by Marriott. I knew I was home. Excellent.
Now I am looking for an extended stay facility for the next 2 weeks until my aparment is ready and after reading the positive reviews on this place I don't know what to believe. Are peoples standards really that low?

storefront kissimeestorefront kissimee