Clarion Resort & Waterpark

Costs 21% more and rated 13% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Clarion Resort & Waterpark

Disappointing stay

by TripAdvisor Member SailChicago

My fiancé and I booked two rooms (requested adjoining) through the Clarion website for a Disney trip with the children. We had different check-out dates for the two rooms due to an appointment requiring an earlier departure for me. From check-in to check out, we had a frustrating and disappointing stay.

The hotel website opens with: "The Clarion Resort® & Waterpark is conveniently located minutes from the entrance to Walt Disney World amusement park." Technically, the statement is correct, but it took us 35 minutes to get to Disney du to the distance and traffic. This hotel is located in a somewhat “iffy” area where we would not feel safe walking at night, and there were not any good restaurants nearby. The facility is also old, and while the room décor was acceptable and appears to have been updated within the last few years, the structure is old and noise from adjoining rooms and people talking outside at night was obnoxious. The continental breakfast consisted of stale pastries and cereal. There is a charge for a hot breakfast. If you prefer a decent hot breakfast, save your money and go to one of the restaurants 15-20 minutes away on Osceola Parkway.

The most disappointing aspect of the stay was the front desk staff. At check-in, we had to wait for a long time while one attendant tried to check a long line of people in, and one guest was trying to get a room problem rectified. The desk attendant was obviously and justafiably frustrated because the manager would not get off his chair several feet way to help him. Although the desk attendant was polite to us, he got the check-in wrong. We were told there were no adjoining rooms, so he put us in rooms in the same building but quite a distance apart. When we arrived at our room, he had mixed up the rooms (one of us had reserved one bed, the other two). In the morning, I brought it to another attendant’s attention, and she assured me she would correct it in the computer (since our check-out dates were different). She also assured me we would get adjoining rooms when others checked out that day, and the hotel staff would move our luggage. When we returned at the end of the day from Disney, the room switch had not been made, and no one at the front desk seemed to know anything about the situation. Again, we were assured the switch would be made the next day…and again, we had the same result.

The day prior to my check- out, I contacted the front desk manager since the rooms still had not been switched in the computer record (meaning the record showed my fiancée’s room checking out 2 days earlier, instead of my room checking out then). The manager informed me that my fiancée and her two children would have to move out of their room into another room since someone had her room reserved as an adjoining room. This would entail my fiancée and the children vacating the room at 11:00am, and not being able to use a new room until later in the afternoon. She did not seem to care about the inconvenience to my fiancée’, even though it was the hotel’s mistake. After going back and forth with her throughout the day (she did not call as promised, I had to call her), she did finally relent and allowed my fiancée to stay in the room.

The comedy of errors continued at checkout, because the rooms were still switched under the wrong names, with different check out dates. The confusion by the front desk staff created delays when I checked out, and then again two days later when my fiancée checked out, making her late getting to the airport.

Now to be fair, the water park aspect of the hotel is a nice feature for kids and is well kept and attractive. The desk attendants (not the managers) were polite, but not trained or competent to deal with a problem. The location, the noise at night, and the dated structure are the aspects that were very poor. I average 20- 30 hotel stays a year for business and vacation travel, and this experience was the worst I have ever had in terms of the frustration with the staff’s inability to correct a problem. The two managers we interacted with did not seem to care at all about being attentive to guest needs. There are much better and more convenient choices in the central Florida resort area.

Splashing Fun

by TripAdvisor Member bridgey3

Having had the opportunity to take a quick weekend getaway over my winter break from the University of Florida myself and 2 friends had heard about the brand new water park opening at Clarion that weekend. After booking our reservation we were able to check in smoothly and were warmly welcomed by the staff. The rooms were clean, and very well decorated. Not to mention the beds were incredibly comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. The Waterpark was definitely better than expected! The three slides even gave the other adults there a thrill not just the kids. Definitely a fun place for the family or for a weekend trip with friends.

Loved the Water Park and the Lazy River

by TripAdvisor Member RachelWestPalmBeach

We were looking for a nice hotel near all the Orlando attractions that offered transportation to Disney. When we arrived at the hotel, my grandson could not wait to go down the water slides on the hotel's waterpark. The water park was absolutely wonderful and so entertaining he did not want to go to the other attractions! We were also surprised that there was no charge to use the waterpark and that it is so well layed out that it does not feel crowded. It was also very pleasing to see the quality of the rooms, the decorations were so beautiful and it had all the amenities of a first-class hotel. The complimentary breakfast was very plentiful and was made very pleasant by the friendly staff. Our stay was so wonderful that we are coming back just for the grand kids to play in the waterpark and for us to relax on the rafts on the lazy river.

My whole family loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Canadians4

My family spent 3 fun and sun filled days at the resort in February 2008. The motel room had a view of the children's waterpark, which my girls (ages 2 and 4) thought was fantastic. The room was clean and attractive. Breakfast was included and was delicious. The waterpark was in great condition, the water was clear and warm, the lazy river was fun and relaxing and the water slides were a blast. My girls really enjoyed the children's waterpark and the splash pad. My husband and I would recommend this to any family looking for a fun and surprisingly affordable trip to Florida. It was also an easy drive to Sea World and Disney world.

Read This

by TripAdvisor Member MomTennessee

You need to read this before booking. Here are the good things.... The hotel is great for the waterpark. The kids loved it!!! The waterslide and lazy river and play pool areas were awesome. The bar and grill by the pool was great too. The pictures of waterpark and rooms are accurate. The room was decorated beautiful. The bed and pillows were very comfy! Coffee and muffins in lobby were fine. If you have your own transportation you will be happy staying here. I think it would be great to stay here and skip parks. Here are the bad things we encountered. The have a major issue with their transportation to the parks. To Disney parks free. To Universal and SeaWorld major charge!!!! It cost us $66.00....I repeat $66.00 for two adults and three small kids to have transportation to Universal. We also had to pay $135.00 for one way airport shuttle to Orlando/Sanibel Airport. Im still in shock over it. We were told by a cab driver who had to take us to Magic Kingdom because the shuttle left early....that they have been called a lot to pick up guests that were left behind. The hotel needs to hire their own shuttle bus and driver. The other problem was returning back at midnight with children who were asleep only to have a key card that would not open hotel room. The staff was friendly and great. They have some things to work on with shuttle. If your going to Disney....stay at Disney hotels. If you want to relax at the waterpark at this hotel, you will enjoy!!!

Black Mold, Cramped Rooms, Absent Management, Water Park- short hrs/ extra fee!

by TripAdvisor Member IhateSummerBay

Black mold- exhaust vent did not appear to be connected to outdoors making perfect conditions for the dangerous black mold growing in the room. A/C system not adequate to handle heat in the room (in cool March) when anyone showered.

Water Park Hours Short!!!!!! The hours were 9:30 AM to 5 PM not allowing time to do anything in Orlando and use the water park. Some of the reviews obviously not written by actual guests give an excellent rating (5) on most everything and suggest making this a destination in Orlando. Please, you go to Orlando to do the parks not hang out at a so so hotel with a water park designed for children age 5-9 with inconvienent hours.

This is an old hotel that is being renovated. The rooms are fresh (with the exception of the black mold) but the furniture is too large and frustrating if you have a family of 3 or more staying in the room.

The management was non-existent. After requesting a manager call several times no one did. At check out at 8 AM they had to call the manager on the phone-- unheard of!!!

They charge a resort fee for use of a microwave, fridge and water park of $8 per day plus tax. Who charges for a microwave? I have not heard of a charge for the fridge in 20 years and they water park hours made it unusable.

This was a dissappointment to my son to see the water park and not be able to use it and then to get in and discover it was designed for a 5-9 year old child and he is a large 11 year old.

Lots of good places to stay closer to the parks- select one of these as this is not a good place to stay.

Call Hotel Directly and Ask Questions About Bed sizes and Waterpark hours

by TripAdvisor Member tj3621

My family and I arrived late on Sunday night. Exhasuted from our long drive, first the desk personnel told me that there was an elevator... never found the elevator... got into the room and per my reservations, we were supposed to have 2 queen size beds... nope... they were 2 full size beds... when my husband question the front desk personnel, she argued with him that the beds were queen, but finally stated they are hotel queens... please, I have never stayed at a place that hotel queens... My children were so excited about the waterpark, but the waterparks' hours were not posted any where except at the hotel... 10-5 only... We were expecting to come back from the theme parks around 6 and be able to enjoy the waterpark... nope... that didn't happen... The beds were small, but comfortable... and the hotel is still undergoing major construction... parking was horrible... their location is not the best if going to Disney or Seaworld... they are a good distance from them... and their shuttle only runs in the morning and at night... you have to arrange other times directly with the driver and that is at their discretion if they do it...

Very Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member VeryDisappointed047

After seeing all the great reviews on this hotel we decided to book for 5 days, Our deluxe water park view room 3122 had a great view of 7 water heaters and the wall of the next building about 8 feet away, no water park insite. Had the room changed after argument with the manager.This is an old hotel that has been and is still being cheaply renovated with a lot walk ways taped off. The water park is nice for young kids, but the concrete finish is very abrasive.As for the room, not the cleanest, the door rubbing on the floor was so bad my 8 and 9 year olds could not open it. Out of 5 days we had to get 4 new door keys.The continental breakfast was an apple or elf muffin, there is no exercise room,no game room,no spa. All where advertised on line when I booked,now changed. Although the turnpike toll booth is within 200 feet, with truck and car traffic 24 hrs a day, makes for great nights sleep, The water park staff were curtious and helpful.The front desk, if you could find them were terible. The reviews could not have writen for this place!

Do Not Stay Here!

by TripAdvisor Member lm2008

PLEASE READ - This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at - I travel for a living and stay in many hotels each year. The service was horrible - the staff had no clue as to what was going on - the pool closes at 5pm daily - "we referred to the waterpark as a free for all" not enough life guards, they use 2 liters of pop for your drinks...so plan on flat pop. The staff could not give you a straight answer, the entrance to the hotel looks like skid row...there are vacant hotels boarded up next door...oh yeah, a prison is right around the corner and plenty of bails bond operations. The drive to Disney is about 45 minutes...and they are not right next door to Old Town. They are just barely on the edge of Kissimee...The food was awful in the restaurant - undercooked pizza, slow wait staff, under staffed - I could go on and on...I could not find one person that was enjoying the stay at this resort. They were constantly running out of everything - and one staff member told us they had to fax a PO to Miami - just to buy napkins...1/2 of the property is under construction and we rented a Cabana that advertised TV - well after we rented it - they told us it had not been wired yet. Be ready for complete disappointment... My son fell the first day and scraped his forehead and knee - I filled out the accident report and asked for some antibacterial cream and a band aid - of course they did not have the cream...and told me its not "that bad"...very unprofessional and not prepared for accidents by the pool. If you want to have a drink poolside - be prepared for them to be out of traditional staples...Captain Morgan - or if they have it - they have one bottle for the whole resort - of which they have to run and get some to bring back to the pool bar! Again, I would not stay here again - IF THEY PAID ME TO STAY THERE! Not worth ruining your vacation.

Loved the Clarion Resort

by TripAdvisor Member TRE22

We had a great stay for our spring break vacation. My kids loved the waterpark it's just a great place to stay for families.

storefront kissimeestorefront kissimee