Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration Kissimmee

Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Worst. Wedding. Ever.

So my March 5th wedding has passed. And oh my God, was it one SNAFU after another.

Under normal circumstances, I'd give a narrative account of my experience there. But the Radisson was so inept at simple directions and agreements, I'm going to have to make a numbered list.

1. Three hours before our ceremony, our florist's driver delivered flowers and was told to leave them in the lobby. There must have been a breakdown of communication, because the Radisson was told (or should have known) to keep the flowers refrigerated. But that didn't happen until long after the driver had left. The result: WILTED, DROOPY BOUQUETS and boutineers in our ceremony (and of course, the pictures, which will last forever).

2. Lack of signs directing the guests to where the wedding ceremony was. My wedding coordinator had to show people from the parking lot to the gazebo for the ceremony. All the while, my guests are complaining to her (because they think she's part of the hotel staff) that the PARKING WAS WAY OUT IN THE BOONIES and there should be signs for which direction to walk towards.

3. I'm allergic to nuts. The Banquet Event Order (basically a contract of scheduled events) stated that I’M ALLERGIC TO NUTS. And what's in the first thing that I'm served from the Executive chef? Some pastry with nuts in it that my wife discovered. Fortunately one of my friends is a nurse, so she watched over me. Our astoundingly great wedding coordinator (who is not affiliated with the Radisson) rushed to the bridal changing room to get an Epipen from my wife's purse. I never envision that my wedding day would involve a hasty trip to the men's room to SHOOT MYSELF IN THE THIGH WITH EPINEPHRINE. But the Radisson made it possible.

4. One of my friends is deathly ALLERGIC TO ONIONS. No surprises here; he's served onions. Once again, my wedding coordinator springs into action. She personally switches out his salad and entrée for food that won't cause his untimely death. Allegedly, the kitchen staff was RESISTANT TO AID in a quick and timely manner.

5. We agreed to have 3 ballrooms for our 100+ guests, but when my decorates etc. came by that early afternoon, the Radisson had only set up chairs for 2 ballrooms. It was supposedly too late to rearrange everything. As a result, our reception was HOT, SWEATY, and CROWDED. Does this sound like your ideal wedding yet? We also suspect that they didn't give us a large enough dance floor for 105 guests, but I don't know for certain.

6. ONLY FIVE SERVERS. The next time you eat out, think about the ratio of servers to table guests. Now think about if that ratio was 21:1. And you can’t give them a lower tip, because you’ve already agreed to give everybody a 22% tip before you want through the door.

7. Dinner was 30 minutes late coming out. This may be something forgivable at your average casual dining restaurant. But this wedding was booked 10 months in advance. The DJ, Photographers, and other vendors are on a cue sheet. So 30 minutes of dead time is a HUGE waste of time and money that would otherwise be spent on DJing activities. Originally, we were supposed to do some cool just newlywed games and the honeymoon dance. But most of that was cut.

On the resorts property, the Radisson was having another event with a group that has a five-year contract. I've heard that while the kitchen was supposed to be keeping my guests happy and fed on time, they were tending to the other group instead. I guess my family doesn't make enough money to earn equal service.

8. Our room had a MUSTY odor.

9. We booked the "ROMANCE PACKAGE" that included strawberries and champagne for our first night as newlyweds. THE RADISSON FORGOT IT My wife called the front desk where a "old man in flannel" (as my wife describes him) showed up with the most disappointing strawberries and champagne, delivered in the least romantic way possible.

10. A few days after our honeymoon, my wife called the Radisson to address the issue. Their defense was that I probably didn't have an allergic reaction to the almond pastry they served me, but from the raspberry-walnut dressing that we supposedly agreed to on the BEO. Being a literate man, I re-read the BEO. It said plain as day "Raspberry Dressing". So just to make it clear: they defended serving me food that I was allergic to by falsely stating that I somehow consented to it. Would you give your business to an incompetent liar?

The moral of the story:

Just because a location is old doesn’t mean that the staff is experienced. Just because someone had a job title, it doesn’t make her or she a professional.

A few days ago, I was having a conversation with one of our vendors who has been in the business for over 20 years. I asked, “I know that no wedding is perfect, but have you ever seen on with this many mistakes?”

“Never.”

Child-friendly hotel

This child-friendly resort lies in a tropical garden and is only 1.5 mile (2.5 km) away from the most famous park in Orlando (Kissimmee), Walt Disney World.

Unique Quality: In the Cafe Court restaurant kids eat free for breakfast and dinner.
    For a quick snack, there's The Parkway Dell & Dinner and in the evening you can enjoy a drink in The Sports Lounge.
    The hotel also has a Gift Shop and a Guest Service for buying your park tickets in advance.

Child-friendly hotel

You can spend your time in one of the two pools around the waterfall grotto or in one of the two jacuzzis. There's also a kiddie pool, a fitness room with a dry sauna and a tennis court and volley ball court.

Child-friendly hotel

The rooms are spacious with two double beds, a safe, minibar, coffee/tea maker, iron/ironing board and TV with internet facilities.
    The granite and marble bathroom is fully equipped with hairdryer and cosmetic mirror.

Close to Disney Maingate

When you are planning a vacation in Kissimmee with kids and without extra cost for transportation, I think, the Radisson Resort Parkway is one of your best choices. This hotel offers a "Kids eat free program" and free shuttle bus service to Walt Disney World, Sea World and Universal Studios.
    We found the best deal with lodging.com and paid $92.00 for a room (+ 12% tax) in April 2003.

More about Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration Kissimmee

Just Okay

by TripAdvisor Member suzanna945

We're a family of 5 (kids' ages 17, 14, 9) just back from a week-long stay at Radisson Resort Parkway. When we travel, we book two rooms; one for us, and one for our kids, with a connecting door between. Radisson offerred a "spread-out special" consisting of the guaranteed setup of a king bedded room with a connecting door to a double bedded room, with the second room at HALF PRICE! This was a deal too good to pass up, so we cancelled our Disney moderate resort 2-room reservation (which of course had no discount for the second room) to take advantage of the savings. We opted to upgrade at $15 more per night for the "upgraded" rooms with pool view and fluffy white comforters for bedding. When we checked in, however, our view of the pool was minimal at best, and we certainly didn't get fluffy white comforters---we had the usual slightly stiff, scratchy bedspreads you run into at a lot of mid-level hotel/motels. When I mentioned this to the front desk clerk, he shrugged and said that the upgraded bedding wasn't available in our building. (?)
The resort itself is okay; large and spread out, very nice lobby, restaurant, pool areas, etc. It was a hike from our 5th floor room to just about anywhere we needed to go on the property. They have a small lounge with huge 6-screen wall TV and expensive drinks ($19 for a tropical drink and a double highball). There is a gift shop. There is also a convenient, small "diner" where you can buy a quick breakfast, Pizza Hut pizzas ($9 for a medium cheese pizza), etc., and assorted cold drinks, snacks, wine & beer, premade sandwiches, etc. etc. All in all, pretty decent common areas.
A few negatives: 1. The cleaner used by housekeeping left such a strong smell throughout rooms and hallways that the inside of your nose and the back of your throat would burn.
2. Too few washers/dryers for guests' use: not even one on each floor; we had to search high and low.
3. The 2 pools were beautiful, but they really need to add a heater to the big grotto pool. The smaller heated pool was always packed body to body, and the huge unheated grotto pool had maybe one or two brave souls shivering in it. So, picture the small pool already packed with people and screaming kids, and then add 3 or 4 huge Shamu blowup pool toys that the towel hut rents for kids' use, and you have the hotel pool from hell. Not even worth the hike from the hotel room.
4. Mandolin's, the hotel's cavernous, Italian-tiled restaurant, is lovely but way overpriced. They had a nice breakfast buffet, with our 9-year old eating free. We had dinner there one evening and the food was good, just ridiculously overpriced. Everyone else must have thought so too, since the place was almost always empty except for breakfast.
Overall, it's an okay hotel very close to Disney property, with nice amenities. Don't fall for the ploy of paying for the "upgraded" rooms, however. You won't get anything better than anyone else here; as far as we could tell, all the rooms are exactly the same.

a really great place

i think this hotel is exellent. when we arived late at night there were no rooms available even though we had pre booked! however we were upgraded to the honeymoon suite free of charge. it was very spacious there was a sizeable bathroom which was very clean and tidy.we had a sauna which was a nice addition to the jacuzzi.in the suite we had a fridge and a small kitchen wich included a microwave.i would highly recomend this hotel to anyone particually familys as it its very welcoming to children.

Not a Honeymoon Hotel

We arrived here expecting a pleasant honeymoon hotel and left extremely disappointed. The man on reception was rude, our room was dusty and in need of refurbishment and the hotel is clearly a business hotel not a honeymoon or family hotel as we were lead to believe. The location is extremely bad and do not use the courtesty coach to the parks, unless you wish to meet the rude driver who kept nodding off at the wheel. We were disgusted with the service we received and would not recommend this hotel to anyone!.

nice place for the price

by TripAdvisor Member rightcoastgirl

The hotel grounds are very nice. The pools and the rooms were very decorative for the amount of money paid. I was slightly disappointed with the seafood buffet; it was far overpriced for the amount and quality of the food. Check out the buffets at the perimeter of the grounds (within walking distance) to the highway.

The shuttle service was prompt but the hours can be improved. However, if you choose not to rent a car, the shuttle can get you to and fro the parks. There were no shuttle service from Pleasure Island. A cab ride generally costs $17 dollars.

Overall, nice atmospher; clean, friendly and good for two single folks looking to have a good time at Disney.

Loved the Radisson Resort at the Parkway - Great for Families!!

We stayed with our three young sons at this hotel in February, 2003. The first thing that I would like to comment on is the housekeeping. This place is immaculately clean! (I am the type that travels with a Lysol can.)

The rates were great - $79 (AAA rate) for all of us in one room and a free full breakfast for all but one of us! The rooms and bathrooms are quite large, and as I said, very clean. The large pool is very nice with a large water slide. My sons spent entire afternoons in the pool. The grounds are clean and nicely kept, with lots of flowering bushes and a stream running through.

The staff was also very nice to us. The rooms are decorated in what I would call kind of "loud Hawiian", but they are obviously newly remoldeled and otherwise very nice.

Also, although this hotel is in Kissimmee, it is back off of 192 enough that you don't really notice (across the street from Celebration). It is surrounded by other upscale properties.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone (especially families) who is looking for very clean and comfortable accommodations at a good price.

Honeymoon

We stayed here for our honeymoon in May 2003 it was fantastic, ideal location, great room, pool was the best ever! there were squirrels in the grounds and turtles in the surrounding lakes. We both loved it. I would go there again in a heart beat.

Accommodation at Disneyworld

by I_clavdivs

We've never had a "commercial" holiday, we are usually happy to make do with what turns up behind the nearest volcano. Therefore, we have NO IDEA about hotels. In Orlando, would you recommend staying on or off site? I hear the "free hour" thing isn't worth it as not all the rides are open. Is it better to stay in cheaper accommodation nearby? This is for a family of 4 with 3 and 4yo kids. This all seems so complicated - next time we will stick to glaciers and llamas because they are easier to negotiate!

by Frisbeeace

Stay off site. You'll get much more for your money in the Lake Buena Vista area which is minutes away from the theme parks. Remember that other parks like Universal Studios and Sea World have grown a lot lately and deserve at least 3 days. Check my Orlando page which focus on hotel choices for families like yours.

by CdnJane

I agree that staying off-site would be the wiser plan... although, if you are onsite you have less traveling time when the little ones get tired.
There are indeed so many things to see, that are not Disney, that being offsite you can get to faster.
If you like to camp, there are campsites that you might want to consider instead of a hotel room.
Have a great holiday... just think of it as a new world to explore and conquer. *smile*

by Helga67

We were with kids in Orlando last April and found the Radisson Resort Parkway very good. They have a free shuttle to different parks and "children eat free program". See my Kissimmee page for more info.

Re: Re: Accommodation at Disneyworld

by Imjustagirl

If money is not an object and you intend only to do Disney, I would stay onsite. The convenience can't be beat and there are so many themed choices your sure to find something you (and more specifically the kids!) will adore.

Another option would be a rental home or condo. This is a MUST in my opinion for families with babies and toddlers, but your kids are old enough that I think they should be able to handle the 'pressures' of staying in a hotel room as a family. If you intend to have alot of 'off' time to spend relaxing as a family, or if you have a little one that needs their own 'space', I would look into this.

Comments