Silver Lake Resort

7751 Black Lake Rd., Hwy. 192 and Sherbeth Rd., Kissimmee, Florida, 34747, United States
AMOMA.com

More about Silver Lake Resort

Spacious Beautiful Silver Lake Resort Condo

by TripAdvisor Member topgun27

Silver Lake Resort was a beautiful, spacious condo. The kitchen was huge with a large dining room and equipped with all appliances and supplies you have at home, including a dishwasher! There is a living room with a sectional sofa plus a separate family room with a large screen plasma TV. There was a king size bed in a huge bedroom with a TV plus a jaccuzi in bathroom attached. Also an extra bathroom off the family room!
If you want space, this condo is for you!! Elegant, well maintained, plus is located close to Disney! Definitely would stay there again. The pool is huge, but the weather was such we could not use it.
Only drawback is to get a good price, we had to listen to a timeshare
presentation, which took about 1/2 a day.

Silver Lake Resort- great pool, nice suites

We stayed at the Silver Lake Resort during the week of May 20-27th and found the place to be quite nice.

The rooms were immaculate, no bugs, stains, smells etc that some people had complained about. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite that was decorated in the airy carribbean style of south florida. The kitchen was very clean and fully stocked with just about anything you would need if you chose to cook. The bedroom was furnished simply with a king sized bed, dresser, nightstands and a 24 inch TV. Living room furniture consisted of 2 rocker swivel chairs and one couch (all white rattan with tropical colored cushions). The unit also had a small screened in balcony complete with table and chairs.

The bathroom had a nice sized jacuzzi tub and glassed in shower. A stacked washer and dryer was tucked away in the closet.

The best part of the resort was definitely the large free form crystal clear swimming pool... a little on the chilly side on cloudy afternoons but perfect when the sun was out. The pool deck was never too crowded, always loungers or tables too be found. There was music at the pool side most of the day and into the evening which was nice (but could have started a little later in the day... usually started before 9am which is a bit early to be blaring into your room if you are trying to catch up on sleep). The tennis court was in average condition and there was a small basketball court that was heavily used as well.

One of the other reviews complained about the "swamp" you have to drive by to get to the resort. We actually found this wetlands a nice addition to the property... much better than more concrete. There were wild flowers in bloom, great trees and some beautiful birds (egrets, herons, etc) that were in this scenic section. So I don't know why they were complaining.

Overall the staff was quite friendly and helpful. They will offer you a chance to attend a timeshare meeting when you check in, no hassle and no pressure... we declined and nothing was ever brought up again. You are literally minutes from the Disney entrances, about 10 minutes from SeaWorld and 15 minutes from Universal... and even better you are not going to have to fight through downtown Orlando traffic to get to the parks. There are tons of restaurants and stores nearby so you can find what you want. We enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Kirijiamia

We Stayed at Silver Lake Resort in Orlando from 06/24/2005-07/01/2005. Awesome. We stayed in one of the newer buildings #800. Check in was smooth. We enjoyed our one bedroom villa with full kitchen, den, king size bed, sleeper sofa in the den, washing machine and dryer, jacuzzi tub, separate shower, screened porch, plasma t.v, dvd and vcr. The villa was decorated like a model. Furnishings were all new. New sheets, towels and comforters. Tiled floors throughtout. The pool was clean. Staff was friendly and courteous. We were only asked once at check in to view the time share presentation. We declined and not bothered again during our stay. The facility charges for transportation to Disney Theme Parks ranging from $10-$14/PP. If you turn left on hwy 192 and drive a couple of miles you will find walmart, target and other shopping areas. If you turn right on Hwy 192 you will also a find Publix grocery store. Resort is less than a 15 minute drive from Disney Parks. If you go to the Silver Lake Resort website and review the photos of the villas it is accurate. I read some of the previous reviews, some were helpful and others would have turned me away. I made reservations thru RCI and I will be returning to the facility.

Satisfied

by TripAdvisor Member NCflygirl

We stayed at Silver Lake Resort in December 2004. We travel to Orlando about twice a year and have stayed at several different resorts. I saw the fairly high ranking on this website, so we thought we'd try Silver Lake. We were satisfied with the resort, but not overly excited about it, compared to some other nicer places we've stayed (Hilton GVC Sea World, Vacation Village at Parkway, Summer Bay).
The condo is spacious enough, and only had a couple of minor problems... bedroom door handle that didn't work, and front cover of washing machine came off. Those problems were fixed quickly, and the maintenance man was friendly. The only thing I wish was a little different is that the decor was very outdated (it didn't give you the feeling of luxury like some other places we've stayed), the floor was all ceramic tile in the kitchen and living room and we were a little worried about our clumsy 2 year old falling and knocking his teeth out on the hard floor- carpet would have been better for us, and there is one huge completely mirrored wall in the living room. I guess it's to make the room seem bigger, but to be honest, it was roomy enough, and did not need the help of an "illusion". We were concerned with the 4 kids we were travelling with (ages 2-9) that one of them would accidentally hit it with something and break it, and the smear marks and fingerprints they left were not very attractive.
The staff was friendly, maybe a little too much, since upon our arrival after a 10 hour drive, as I was checking in, the desk clerk proceeded to tell me that he used to work for Disney, and what an awful company it was, and tried to persuade me not to go there and support how badly they treat their employees. This one-sided conversation lengthened the amount of time for me to check in, which I wasn't thrilled with after the long drive to get there. Other than that, I was pleased with the stay, but would probably not go again... I will probably stick with some of my other "favorites" when we travel to Orlando.

Great Stay for $

We stayed at the resort just this past week. We had a great stay for the dollars spent. The pool side cabana food and drinks were great, plasma tvs, vcr's and more. If you wore your socks outside in the hall ways, and drive way your socks did turn black but I would expect this. The free computer room, recreation room, movie theatre were all great. My kids wanted to stay at the resort rather than going to Universal Studios.

Review of SLR from trip in Apr/May 2005

We (I, my wife, and our three children) stayed at SLR the weeks of April 25th - May 6 of this year.
It is important to note that we won a SkyAuction for both weeks, and paid little more than the base resort fee and auction costs. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't pay any more than I did, as we encountered a number of problems while staying at this resort. The bid was for a 1 BR unit w/ full kitchen, sofa sleeper.
In addition, we called the resort (after winning the auction) and requested a unit w/ a W/D. This request was granted over the phone, and a note was to be made on our reservation stating such.

When we arrived at the resort, we were initially placed in the 500 Bldg, in a room that had a single double bed, a small (double?) sofa bed, and no "full kitchen" (it had only a "built-in" 2 burner hot plate, a smaller fridge, and a microwave). There was also no W/D, as confirmed in our reservation, which we verified at the front desk when we arrived. On top of all this, the door knob / card lock assembly on the entrance to the unit was literally falling apart, and I was unable to get the door to latch on the way back to the front desk to request a different room. After returning to the front desk, and complaining about the discrepancy between what we were told we would get with respect to our accommodations and what we got, we were then placed in the 1800 Bldg, which is representative of the mid-range units of this property. This unit had all of the amenities that we received as part of our winning bid, plus the W/D that we requested. In addition, the unit overlooked the pool area (which is pretty nice), and had the poly-resin patio set as described in previous reviews. The decorations and appointments in this unit were ~1980's. (The pictures of the rooms over at Expedia for this resort are representative of the style of this unit) There were ceiling to floor mirrors in the living room and bedroom. The cabinets (kitchen and bath) were industrial white laminate, and in poor condition. None the less, the unit was much better than our initial "room", and in line with our expectations from the standpoint of what we reserved. (Based upon this room, however, I would not consider this to be of the caliber of accommodations to bear the RCI "Gold Crown" endorsement, as SLR claims that it has received.)
One glaring issue with this room was with the "Jacuzzi" tub. When first used, there was little pressure from the jets in the tub. I discovered that this was because the air inlet was mostly closed, so I opened it up a bit more. At that point, silt and other disgusting particulate matter started coming out of the jets. After completely removing the air inlet cover, I could see that the inside of the inlet was completely covered in dirt and grime (The only way it could possibly get this dirty was if it had never been cleaned out). We did not use the jets in the tub after that.
After staying in this unit for a week, I decided that we should try to move to a different unit, one that was pictured in the in-room brochure for the property. The style of the units in the brochure was drastically different than the style of the units in both the 500 and 1700/1800 Bldgs. (The units in the brochure were what I'd describe as modern Floridian / Caribbean in style with dark walnut/mahogany fixtures, real wood cabinets, plasma TV's DVD players, granite counter tops, etc.) Based upon the style of blinds in the pictures, I figured that these were the style of units in the 800 and 900 Bldgs. I then went to the front desk and requested a different room, so I could offer a comparison when writing a review of the resort for a travel website. They promptly and willingly obliged. The unit we transferred to was far and above better than the first two, and looked the same as the images in the brochure. We did discover similar (but not as severe) issues with the Jacuzzi tub, but it was quickly remedied. Also, the floor in the third unit was not cleaned when we arrived, which I reported and got addressed. By in large, this unit was much better than the previous, and we were satisfied with it.

The other resort amenities: The pool was clean, and our kids enjoyed it. Also, the activities offered for the kids were superb. The game room is spacious, well appointed, and seemed to be well maintained. The fitness center was also well appointed and fairly well maintained. (Some of the weights on the universal gym were broken.) The hot tub, on the other hand, was not in very good condition or well maintained. The water was too cool (~90 degrees), the water had a green tint (not chemically balanced), and several of the jets either didn't work, or didn't work well.

Overall, I think that SLR has some challenges, and is nowhere close to realizing the immense potential it has, given it's proximity to the Disney property, the acreage that the resort owns, and the current development of the property. I believe that there are some definite opportunities in the management of the operations at this resort, and hope that they will decide to take the corrective actions necessary to realize more of this potential.

We loved it there

by TripAdvisor Member jefniceland

I can truely say that we all had the time of our lives. I cannot remember having felt better cattered to and the rooms were in pretty cood condition. The only problem was the cable TV to the master bedroom needed a little TLC to get it to function, we thought it was important to keep an eye on the Weather Channel so as to plan the next day's activities. In every other way from top to bottom we had a terrific time and are going back this October to a new on called Celebration World Resort. If you have any knowledge on that one let me know what you thought.

SILVER LAKE, THE PERFECT VACATION PARADISE

My family and I wanted to take a vacation different from all others, when we came across this special offer on the web. We got a great rate, we found the facilities to be tremendous, and the pool was perfect, especially since we have 2 young children, and the kiddy pool was very convinient. It was all good until we took the conferance, only to find out that to be able to enjoy another stay at the resort we would have to purchase over 35,000 RCI points. We would consider returning, if we can get the same great rate that took us there in the first place.

It was a great place

We had a great time there, the place was big and roomy, every thing we needed was in the room to cook. I love the big jacuzzi!!!! The people at the resort was nice. The pool was big. I wish they offered more discounts for owners on park tickets but other than that we had a great time we will be going again.

Let's get real.......

I have been coming here for eight years. The first time I came was a great experience. All of the luxury and proximity to the parks were a real plus. Silver Lakes, however seem to be spiraling into the abyss of mismanaging funds. The grounds, rooms, parking lot, buildings, sprinkler systems, and just lack of attention to small details really rob this place of it once majesty.

Have no fear there is a solution to this problem, West Gate resorts. It truly is a five star resort with all the aminities one could imagine. And guess how much they charge for all those aminities, $0!. That's right nothing for bike rental, paddle boat, pond fishing (w/ tackle bait also free) crafts, and much more. Please do yourself a favor and check it out. My wife and I did and made $100.00 cash, just to have a look.

So good luck SLR on your crisis, and happy hunting to all you who deserve a VACATION in a FIVE STAR RESORT.. Have a nice day.

John Hill Highrock Lake, NC 2005 AUG