Star Island Luxury Resort and Club

Official Hotel Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Star Island Luxury Resort and Club

inside view of Star Island

As a geust of Star Island during Hurricane Jeanne, I have nothing to complain about. The pools are nice, and yes could be larger, and they have a ton of activities for the kids. We enjoyed what we could of our trip given that a major hurricane was coming in. I don't understand the negative comments on the staff. We experienced a water leak coming through our room during the storm. The person who responded ( I believe his name was Roger) showed us the utmost in courtesy. They apparently enlist many employees to actually stay on property in times like this. To me, I thought this was great, especially since these people were out in the storm attending as best possble to guests needs. Clean-up was started immediatly ( even though the power was out for most of the day) the man who came to check on the leak actually brought towels and spent 20 mins. drying up our floor ( the wind was so strong it blew in past the patio door gaskets!) As soon as the power came back, the carpet cleaning people arrived to clean up the water just as was promised! I watched these people work all day and many well into the night. All I can say is if this is what is normal, I can't see anyone having a problem with the service. I've never been treated better!
Hope to go back next year ( without the hurricanes!)

A Great Vacation

We stayed at Star Island Resort in June 2004. The staff was very friendly and helpful upon check in. We had a beautiful three bedroom suite, which was very well maintained. The grounds were nicely kept. If you get a chance to walk around the grounds and down to the lake I would suggest that you do so and bring your fishing pole. The kids spent most of the time in the pools which were awesome. The location was close to everything, but yet away from the noise. We did not use the tennis courts or playground. We will definitely stay here again.

A Nice Place To Visit, But I Wouldn't Want To Buy There!

We stayed at Star Island Aug 8-15, 2004 on a timeshare exchange. We own at a 5 star resort in Cancun, and were apprehensive after reading some of these reviews. We kept an open mind though, as the reviews ranged from great to horrible. We found the staff to be polite and helpful, except in the fitness center. The girl at the fitness desk couldn't be bothered to put down her magazine and explain anything, and the trainer was more interested in her own workout than helping the guests. The rest of the employees were very cordial.

Check-in was easy, but as soon as we checked-in we were directed to another desk for additional assistance. The people at this desk are timeshare salespeople, so be ready! I reluctantly agreed to the tour. The breakfast they promised consisted of bagels, cheap donuts, cereal, juice & coffee. Very low budget. I was promised discounted tickets to the parks, but when I tried to claim them at the desk afterwards, the lady said you have to book the tour in advance of check-in to qualify. She gave me a list of other items, all of which required a purchase. I declined. I would recommend that you avoid the tour unless you are truly interested in a timeshare. If you are, there are nicer places for the prices they want. They kept referring to all of the wonderful future projects they had planned, but my gut feeling is that the resort is decaying faster than they can afford to maintain it. For now it is still ok, but if you look closely, you will see what I mean.

The pools are too small (one of their "future projects"), there is a fee for a daily towel exchange, no daily maid service (we were offered a mid-week tidy-up visit, whatever that is, if we filled out a survey). Our neighbors asked for more toilet paper and were told to buy it at the convenience store. One fellow timeshare exchanger compared it to an apartment complex rather than a resort. There are plenty of pool lounge chairs, but because of the small pool area they are pushed 2-3 inches apart. You have to sort of slide onto them from the end. The pool towels were the ribbed terrycloth "dishcloth" style....full size, but very cheap and thin. It was almost comical. They simply ran out of towels in the fitness center.

Our unit was a huge 3 bedroom 2 bath, but it was an original unit, and was showing it's age. That is the impression I had of the entire resort. The parking is awful. If you go out at night, you will have to drive around and likely park at the opposite end of the resort. There were times we wanted to leave, but didn't because we didn't want to lose our parking spot. While there is a restaurant just beyond the gates, it is a TGI Friday. We had them deliver the first night, but their menu is the standard bar & grill fare. Not a place most people would want to eat everyday. The restaurant and convenience store are an easy walk. I have walked further inside some resorts!

Hurricane Charlie hit 2 days prior to our departure. Again, they dropped the ball, as far as I am concerned. The staffing level reflected a business as usual attitude. I didn't see much effort in putting things back together. A little more staffing, especially at the desk could have gone a long way toward soothing some of the irate guests' emotions. This was in contrast to Disney, which was cleaned up and reopened at 9:00 am. Of course it costs several thousand dollars to stay there, so I guess you pay for efficiency.

This is a nice resort, but very average. I would certainly shop around for a good price, because there are definitely nicer resorts if you are willing to spend the money. You should expect a deal for the extras you give up. The proximity to the parks is excellent and that's what we were really there for. We didn't spend much time at the resort. The tennis courts are excellent, the fitness center nice. Other than that, I was satisfied, but not overly impressed. I might rent there sometime if I found a great deal, but I will never trade my 5-star unit again. Star Island Resort is a 5-star wannabe, IMHO.

Wow!!!

by TripAdvisor Member luvthetropics

Wow! This place was incredible! The 2 pools have an island in the middle, they have a water play area and an awesome hot tub. The suite had plenty of room with a tv in both rooms. I would compare this place to a 4 star hotel! The only problem was there was a critter trapper outside our causeway with a racoon in it. My daughter was very concerned about it so I reported it. The next morning it was still there. She fed it through the cage but was concerned about water. I told 4 maintenance people and the maid. They all said that animal control was called. When I checked out, I told them again. Other than this there was no other problems and I will stay here again!! Great for larger families.

Nice

by TripAdvisor Member MonsterRain

My wife and I stayed here during the first week of our 2 week honeymoon in mid-to-late-December '03.

We thought the place was good and didn't have the problems that a lot of the other people seem to have had. We used an exchange week to travel here.
As other reviewers have posted, I have also heard that they have 2 different kinds of 1 bedroom units. We must have gotten lucky because our bedroom was huge and we were located on the 1st floor.

Good:
Clean.
Very comfortable.
Everything worked, didn't have to call maintenance once.
Somehow they didn't try to sell us a timeshare.
The salon was real nice, the woman who gave my wife a haircut and style was real nice, fun, and down to earth. Also very well-travelled and smart.
I wish I could remember her name. I went back to by some of the styling stuff that they used in her hair, and instead of charging the woman gave me the bottle she was using (about 3/4 left) for free!

The bad:
Didn't seem like there were many amenities, but we didn't really pursue any of them anyway- we wanted to hit the parks!!
Except for the salon staff and the timeshare information woman (who had limited hours), the staff was mostly unfriendly, not knowledgeable and about as sharp as a brick. That may sound harsh but that was really the impression that they left with me. They didn't know where anything was in the area and really gave me the attitude like I was bothering them. Whatever.
There were a couple of lizards in our room. No big deal, caught them and dropped them outside. At least they weren't roaches. I hate roaches.
Furniture, though comfortable, was kinda tacky.

All-in-all we had a pretty good experience here. However, the other reviews here have made me leery of going back. If I do I will be careful, but I'll probably want to try another resort next time I'm in Orlando anyway.

Not for the poor

This ADVENTURE was given to me as a college graduation gift. I receved the mini suite and puchased a three bedroom suite as well. My best advice is that if you dont have the big bucks to spring for the three bedroom STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT. not only will your mini suite be exactly that a mini but you will not receive good service. Money definetly talks and walks at this resort.

We had a great time!

My family and I stayed at this resort in July in a HUGE 1 bedroom appt. with a jacuzzi tub, kicthen(incl. dishwasher), two big screen tv's, washer and a dryer, etc. Because we feel the pullout couch in the livingroom was a terrible bed to sleep in we complained. The staff understand the problem and gave us the next mini suite as well for free. We had some minor problems with the safe, toilet and and a door but those problems where fixed instantly. The staff was very friendly. The appt. was a bit noisie (you can hear the people walk above you). The appt. is very clean, there is a towel exchange once a week but you can wash your own towels washer and dryer (soap is provided for two loads of laundry). The pool is nice but too small for such a big resort. They are planning to build new condos at the lake with a new pool as well and a small beach at the lake(next year 2005). We are now big fans of the nice resort and hope to come back next year.

Dont let the bed bugs bite!

by TripAdvisor Member livefromva

Our stay at this resort was a gift from a dear friend of mine. We stayed from July 25-August 1st of 2004. We tried to upgrade our room several times, but were unsuccessful. We had a one bedroom suite with all the ammenities. For the price some people pay to rent this rooms and pay timeshare costs the decor could be MUCH better. I thought I was in an episode of the Golden Girls. They make plenty of money and should have updated furnishings. THe lady at guest services was very polite and helpful with purchasing tickets and directions. They did try to get me to attend a timeshare tour, but I didnt. We had a "villa" in building 21. My mother and sister noticed a bug or two the first night there and dismissed it. The second night they noticed many more. When we woke up the bed was full of BED BUGS! I called the front desk to complain and they told me they had no vacant villas and they would get someone to spray. They also connected me to their "CARE" department. The women (Margie, I belive was her name) tried to tell me they were probably just gnats. I told her no! I demanded to speak to a mananger and a new room. I told them that spraying the room wasnt going to do anything about the problem and we could not stay in there. They insisted on sending a pest control person. As soon as he saw the bugs he said they were bed bugs and we would have to move. shortly after, the manager contacts me saying he talked to the pest control man and he would move us, and they had a villa in the same building! Wow, when I said we had to move they didnt have a room available they were booked solid. I didnt appreciate the fact that it took the pest control man to come to the room to decide if they were going to move us. The manager called and said he would send someone immediately to help us move, well by the time they came, we had already moved all of our own stuff and were standing waiting for a key. I went to the front desk to see the manager (Blair, I believe) he was very short and cold. If you are going to stay here, CHECK YOUR BED CAREFULLY. They also provide washing powders, you may want to wash your sheets and spray the mattress. The next villa we went to was clear of bed bugs- My mother was very apprehensive about sleeping in the bed. I am sure they re-rented that room after we moved out. For the amount of money people pay, you should not have to sleep with bed bugs!

Horrible!!!

I would not recommend this place to anyone.. My husband and two young children had a 3brm reserved. When we entered the villa the first thing we notice was the place was not very clean.. The sofa was very dirty, old and soil, trash on the floor next to the sofa and the silverware was not very clean. I couldn't beleive it. I told my children not to touch anything or sit on anything. My husband and I went to the front desk and told them that we were not going to stay in that unit and requested another. We were giving a 2brm which was a little better but we notice the door handle leading to the patio was hanging off, That wasn't good. I can't believe this resort was rated 5 stars, If i could rate this resort I would give it a (0 zero) that's how bad it was. For this to be a timeshare resort they need to get on the ball with maintenance and housekeeping. They need to go through every unit and clean them out good and refurnished them.

Oh my god! Bug city.

I stayed at the resort from Sept 18-25th. A few days before the 18th a lady called me to get me into the tour thing. Of course I wasn't interested in buying another timeshare when I already have one in the Poconos. I wouldn't be clumsy enough to purchase one in Florida anyhow, because it's only for 20-30 years. Back to the unit, it was a one bedroom unit. Like everyone else did, I read all reviews and figure, let me give it the benefit of doubt. Got there, the employees for very nice and polite. The room looked ok, the Jacuzzi looked yucky. After reading about one of the bed bugs review, I kept eyeing the bed, I even asked my fiance to search the bed for bugs before throwing himself on it. He looked and said it's bug free, layed there watching TV, next thing, he felt some legs crawling on his body, when he looked, it was a nasty white long bug on him. I was like OH GOD! That is gross. I hate bugs, and to find them on beds, that's just disgusting. I never use towels from resorts and hotels, always bring your own! Their stuff is never as clean as you think they are.
We were given unit 3934B. Look out for Frogs, lizards on the staircase and doors. Everyday, my fear was to leave the unit because of the bugs and frogs. You don't want one jumping in your face.
I would rather stay at a five star hotel, because it's much cheaper if you on priceline, and you get free maid service everyday. I would never again go back to Stars, hell no.

Comments