Super 8 Motel - Orlando/Kissimmee/Maingate

Super 8 Kissimmee/Orlando/Maingate
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cheap in Kissimmee

My first mistake in making this reservation was in not asking about local calls. We arrived to check in at 2 pm and the desk clerk said we couldn't check in until 3. Since we were tired from traveling, we just sat in the lobby. I noticed on the board that they required a $10 deposit for using the phone. Then I found that they required 55 cents for each local call. If it wasn't that I wanted to hook up to the internet, that wouldn't matter - I could just use my cell phone.

So I said that we wouldn't stay there, and they said that we had to have canceled 24 hours in advance. So I canceled the 2nd day right there and made a reservation somewhere else (using my cell phone). I didn't do the internet at all for one WHOLE DAY.

In common with many hotels in this area, the Super 8 requires a photo ID and imposes a penalty for not staying two days or for canceling. The safe is $1 extra which is automatically charged in advance. It is between a Bennigans and a Denny's restaurants and across the street from some attractions, but although it advertises that it is close to the Disney gate (and has a shuttle to it), it is actually 2 miles from the park.

The hotel was supposed to have microwaves, refrigerators and dataports. Microwaves were extras, and there were no dataports. The AAA said that it accepted small pets, but it does not.

This hotel also charges $10/hour for late checkout.

The price for a Super 8 is supposed to be the lowest. We paid $40 for one night, but I saw some signs on other motels advertising $25/night. Sometimes it doesn't pay to try for the absolute lowest price.

Unique Quality: The bathtub looked as if someone had been walking in it with sneakers, and even though it was a non-smoking room it smelled of stale tobacco smoke in the bathroom. There was a sink, a hanging rack (no closet) and a three drawer chest with a TV, a two drawer chest with a mirror and wall lamp. A folding suitcase rack was leaning against the wall. There was a small round table with two chairs, and two double beds with a night table in between. The TV did have a sleep function on it.

The "Free Super Start Breakfast" had several kinds of coffee, two kinds of juice, some muffins, some Danish and some bagels.

There was a TINY outdoor pool, and our room was on the backside with no convenient parking. In the morning at 6, there started being crashing noises like someone continuously emptying trash dumpsters.

We checked out ASAP although we had intended to stay two days.

Comments