3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Costs 34% more and rated 13% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Royal Plaza Hotel

Hotel Royal Plaza not so Royal

Stayed at the Royal Plaza March 10 - 15, 2006. This hotel may have be refurbished, but it still has many mechanical problems where the infrastructure has not been re-done.

The first time we tried to use the shower there was no hot water. Contacted the front desk and they sent someone to the room within 30 minutes. The repairman told us that the hot water heater was on the 16th floor. In order to get hot water, it would be necessary to run the water in the tub for a few minutes before using the shower. This was fine, but inconvenient. Once hot water was obtained, you could not get cold water out of the sink. The cold side produced hot water!

The same night the air conditioning would not cool. I reported it the next morning and someone was sent to fix it within 30 minutes. The unit was fixed and worked the rest of our stay.

Toilet paper not replaced on one occassion. Had to call the front desk. It was delivered within 45 minutes.

Two elevators for the entire hotel. They were very slow which at times resulted in a 3 - 5 minute wait.

The restaurant was less than adequate and expensive. Recommend renting a car if you are staying here in order to have other restaurant choices.

Beware when using your own car as the valet personnel will "hound" you about stopping or parking anywhere near the front entrance. In fact I had one get on to me about parking in front. I told him I was going to the front desk briefly and he wanted my keys. I refused and he followed me into the hotel to make sure I was going to the front desk. Most (not all) were terribly rude and obnoxious.

On a positive note, the rooms were average size with an extremely small balcony. Beds were comfortable and for the most part the room was clean. Pool and deck was fair, but the building blocks the sun between 2:00 and 3:00 p.m.

Bottom line... if you can get a good deal, $99 or less then stay here. If not, check out other newer hotels.

Loved the newly remodeled Royal Plaza

We stayed one night at the Hotel Royal Plaza by Downtown Disney on April 1st and it was wonderful. We had no problems whatsoever and I was concerned after reading some of the negative reviews. I stayed here long ago before the remodel, but I thought it looked absolutely beautiful now. We used the pool, the pool bar, ate there and all was great. The beds are so comfortable and probably the best night sleep I have ever had in a hotel, even the Disney ones (of which I have stayed at almost all of them). I will say that the bus system is not as good as the Disney bus system because it runs on the half hour, versus every ten minutes if you are staying on property. That was frustrating when we just missed the bus and it was after midnight at Downtown Disney. Other than that, everything was wonderful. I would stay here again for a short time, but for longer stays, I will stick with Disney resorts.

Not bad at all

I stayed in the Royal Plaza back in 1999 and wasn't really impressed. When I heard that this was going to be the "overflow" hotel for a conference I was attending this month, I really wasn't too thrilled to be going back to the Royal Plaza. However, I was delightfully surprised at some of the improvements. The front desk staff was very helpful and very friendly, as were the bellmen. The room was very comfortable - the bedding was inviting and looked brand new. I had a room facing the interstate, which wasn't the most exciting view, but it was still nice to open up the balcony door and let the lovely April breezes blow in.

The hotel was within walking distance to Downtown Disney - probably 10 minutes at the most. Everything else was a car trip away. I thought about walking off Disney property to the hotels on the other side of the intersection, but it didn't look too pedestrian-friendly so decided to not try my luck.

All in all, I was pleased with the changes. It is a comfortable hotel, although far from 4-star. I would stay here again.

Thank you it was great!!!!!

I stayed at the Royal Plaza in March with my husband and had a wonderful time! The front desk staff was very sweet and helpful from the beginning, especially Vanessa. We were greeted by a big smile and it didn't take very long. She had all the anwsers to my husband's crazy questions. As soon as we walked into the rooms, we were very happy with the colors, very calming, and the beds were amazing. We only stayed for 2 days, but we wished that we stayed longer.The service was the best part of the trip!
Now with that all said, there were a few issues with the "restaurant", if you could call it that! The food was horrible and the wait staff was not the greatest.
We also had some issues with hot water, but we spoke with a Mr. Neth, who took the time out the listen to our concerns. All together the room was great, other then the hot water, and the front desk agent, Vanessa, was great and a joy to be around!

Had to fight for category reserved, nice after that...

by TripAdvisor Member Mdep

We stayed 4 nts, having reserved a "Premier Tower King" room through Mousesavers. After reading previous reviews, I checked in as early as possible. Good thing too. As I was handed the registration form to initial I said "this IS a king tower room, right?" The look I got back said it all. No, it seems I had been assigned a standard double. When I objected, the (very nice) clerk explained that reservations had booked me into this room, and the tower rooms had all been booked, as if that would satisfy me. (Royal Plaza, think about it: I had reserved and PAID FOR a deluxe room, why would I settle for a standard one at the same rate?) I gave the clerk my confirmation and after a short disappearance, he returned with an executive suite for us. Certainly erases the bad start we got off to. The moral is that it wouldn't hurt to call reservations the morning of your stay and insist you be given the category of room you reserved, and HAVE YOUR CONFIRMATION with you!

As expected, our room was new and immaculate with great bedding, a jetted tub, new fixtures and no mechanical problems. The elevators can be a pain, especially when a group meeting lets out. "Luis" in the restaurant is a hoot; made the marginal breakfast offering fun.

Considering they fixed the category hiccup in a sterling manner, I call this a very satisfactory stay, and we will stay again.

Needs more work...

by TripAdvisor Member DisneyMommyWi

We stayed for three nights early in March. We reserved a Suite and when we arrived we were told there were no suites available. The staff was nice and worked to get us 2 deluxe connecting tower rooms looking over Downtown Disney. The two elevators were not nearly enough for the size of the hotel. We asked if there was a luggage rack we could use, and basically we were told we had to use the bell service. The Bell men were very nice, but there were only two for a whole lot of people checking in. We requested a crib in the room for our 8 month old. When we got to the room there was no crib. We had to call twice to check up on the status of the crib. FInally at 11:30 pm the crib was delivered ( and VERY SMALL).

The pool was ok but almost too warm. The weather was 87 and the pool was at least 90. Not very refreshing. The room was nice - beds were extremely comfortable. Best bed I ever slept in at a Hotel. TV in one room did not work. Bathroom lights did not work in the Bathroom. Pipes were leaking under the sink in the other bathroom. The grout around the tubs was molded up and pretty gross. The plumbing was very loose on the tub and shower. When it was touched, the whole wall moved and I thought the faucet was going to pull right off. Sign off the elevator said 'Vending and Ice". The Ice machine was broken and there was no vending.

great holiday

We usually stay in a villa but thought we would try a hotel this time. from the time we arrived until we left all staff were fantastic and couldn't help us enough. the rooms were lovely and we asked if we could have a fireworks view and could watch the epcot fireworks from our hotel room at 9pm.the situation of the hotel doesn't get any better. it's on disney property so it's handy for all the disney parks and water parks which is really great after a long day to be home in five minutes. we used the free bus which picks you up at the front of the hotel, when my husband didn't feel like driving, also it saved us paying the 9 dollars parking fee at the parks, i wouldn't reccomend the bus if you're staying at a park till the very end as the buses get quite crowded at closing time.the hotel pool was perfectly clean and lovely and warm. we just couldn't fault it atall. we had one problem when we couldn't find the disney channel on our television but as soon as we reported it they sent a really friendly maintenance guy up to fix it. i would definately stay there again, it's like having all the perks of disney hotels without disney hotel prices.

They lied to us

by TripAdvisor Member danniny

We stayed at this hotel b/c we were guests of a wedding and we were instructed that there was a group rate for wedding guests here. 1st of all the reservation department wasn't working properly; no ringtone at all. Later on in the week, when we finally got through, we were assured the hotel would be up in running during the week of January 16th. THAT WAS A LIE!!!! There are so many things that went wrong:
Only one elevator was working-I was stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes.
The restaurant was not open after being assured that it would be. The pool bar WAS NOT OPEN!! The bar was only open limited times, and closed at 12:00 AM after I had been told it would stay open until 2:00 AM.
There was not hot water in the rooms.
The hot tub in the pool area was not working and was taped off like a crime scene. The safes were not working. The televisions only received three channels when they were working.

They shouldn't have taken any reservations or business if they weren't able to justify the $8.00 a day resort fee. THE ONLY AMMENITY YOU COULD COUNT ON WAS THE POOL. They chould have recommended another hotel in the area to accomodate their guests. HORRIBLE

A+ for Everything but the Front Desk and the Elevator

by TripAdvisor Member SwimSwamSwum

The hotel was easy to get to and in a great area (though heavy traffic constantly in front of the hotel). The room (416) was big, everything was new and very clean. (The mirror on the back of the bathroom door was dirty but there were so many mirrors in the bathroom I felt sorry for the housekeepers). The bed was comfortable and the amenities were nice (room safe, tv, coffee, hairdryers, Bath & Body Works soaps and shampoos). The tub looked very tempting. Plenty of hot water and water pressure and the front staff, when they would answer the phone, were good about wake up calls (a human calls you - not a computer). There was also an iron and ironing board.

The concierge (Josh) was an articulate, handsome young man with a buoyant personality and even gave me his cell phone number for putting together a package for my husband and I to save money the next time we come to Orlando. He said that he had saved one guest $500 on a package of several amusement parks and activities. The bell boys/valets were always easy to find and ready to greet and help me if I ever even looked in their direction. The meeting room was nice, comfortable and the temperature never got out of whack (of course, it's April and that's not quite a challenge yet). The lunches provided were a little weird (burgers and hot dogs the first day and deli meat sandwiches the next) but were good. They were a little chinzy on the deserts but that may just have been what was ordered.

Now for what I didn't like ...

The elevators in the morning are so slow (10 - 15 minute waits) that it is better to take the stairs which are not that well marked (or big) and I got lost the first time I came down the stairs and didn't know exactly where I was. The main elevator, the one in the lobby, is shut down to be worked on for being so slow (according to Josh) so this may be being addressed.

The "culture" of the front desk leaves much to be desired. From the time I checked in until I left, their behavior was consistent. Though never outwardly rude, they will ignore you if they possibly can. Hang it up if two of them are talking or if they are doing something else behind the desk. At one point, there were four employees present, yet no one seemed inclined even to address me. (They were discussing who should check me in). When I went to check out, two were present but ignored me so I went away until a line formed. (The line broke their concentration on their conversation and so opened them up to actually working with guests).

Despite the front desk, this is a great hotel for business or pleasure. One further warning, however - buy a phone card. I could not make a credit card telephone call from the room, the front desk gave me conflicting instructions which didn't work either and when I tried to get them to place the call for me (a $5 connect fee and 97 cents a minute) they only got the call through once out of two tries. The phones in the lobby work fine, though.

Dreadful

At first glance the hotel is gorgeous- just like in the photos. Well decorated and clean. We stayed for 2 weeks and had a total of 3 rooms, as something eventually went wrong in each. In the last room, apparently one of the best with a patio by the pool, the builders were in next door at 7am every morning. we were assured that they shouldn't start work until 9am, but they did every morning including easter saturday. On one day we found a cutting blade left by our patio. I really couldn't have packed up again and moved , so we put up with it determined not to let it spoil our holiday.

Service was friendly but always slow, and breakfast was very bad. Its $13.95 and I wouldn't have paid $5, so we always went out.

You get charged a resort fee - this is essentially for a safe ( only 1 room we had supplied one, ) and the buses to the park. Buses to the park were infrequent, dirty, too full.

One the whole I wouldn't stay here again at any price. It nearly spoiled our holiday.

Comments