4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Expedia.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Costs 110% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

On the Monorail

Because the hotel listings are restricted to those places which actually are IN the place, the Disney hotels which are not actually in Orlando but in Lake Buena Vista aren't included. So I've moved this tip, and a couple others that are specific to WDW over to the correct page.

A 'modern' hotel right on the monorail, this was an expensive place to stay, but my mom wanted us all together in one place. Free transportation to the other parks was included.

Since there were so many families (9 different rooms in all), the biggest problem we had with them getting our reservations mixed up. My niece wanted to talk to her dad, and they kept ringing our room by mistake. Her mom and dad were in an adjoining room, and they weren't there.

Unique Quality: It has a pool which made it handy for the families with young kids - they could go out in the morning, and then come back, the kids could have a nap, and then they could play in the pool until time for dinner. You can rent sailboats to sail on the lake. We took the monorail and had dinner at another hotel. I took the boat across the lake to one of the Discovery Island

More about Disney's Contemporary Resort

This one is for the kids: ...

by Ky_Happy_Dad

This one is for the kids: Casual visitors to Orlando may not know that you do not have to stay at a Disney property or go to a Disney Theme Park to have a 'character dinner' or breakfast at one of the Disney World resturants such as Chef Mickey's located in the Contemporary Resort at Disney World (pictured to the left). Call ahead in advance of your trip and make reservations,or make a reservation if you stay at one of the Disney properties. The Disney characters come to each table and pose with the children or sign autographs. The food isn't bad, but of course the major attraction is watching your children get so excited about seeing the characters and them getting personnel attention.

Most families visiting Florida...

by Ky_Happy_Dad

Most families visiting Florida visit one of the theme parks such as Disney World, Sea World, or Universial Studios in Orlando or Busch Gardens in Tampa. Disney World has four theme parks: The Magic Kingdom (which is similar to Disney Land in California), Epcott and, the MGM/Disney studios, and the new Disney World Animal Kingdom. Of these, the Magic Kindgom will most appeal to young children. (I'll describe each of the three I have visited and Sea World, as separate entries; but I would not recommend attempting to go see them all on one vacation trip because of the high cost and fatigue). The Magic Kingdom is divided into sections with themes such as Frontierland, or Toontown. Many of the rides or attractions are based on Disney movies. Disney World does not have many thrill rides such as the roller coasters at Universal Studios new theme park. However, younger children do enjoy theme rides and Disney prides itself on having friendly employees. The major drawback to all the Disney World theme parks is the amount of time spent standing in line for the more popular rides. The best advice is plan ahead. Get to the park early and go immediately to the most popular rides in each section that you want to do. These lines only get longer as the day gets longer. But you can get an early start if you stay at one of the Disney properties. Each Disney theme park opens early one day for guests of the Disney hotels.
If you go visit the Magic Kingdom with young children (and can afford it), I recommend staying at one of the Disney properties so you can take the little ones back to the hotel for a nap. The Contemporary Resort is very convenient because you can come and go as you please on the monorail, and you can watch fireworks over the Magic Kingdom on the top floor just off the location of the California Grill restaurant (this is reputed to be the best and most innovative wine and dine restaurant Disney World). On the other hand, you can save considerable money staying at one of the other Orlando hotels. The area around International Drive in Orlando is packed with more hotel rooms than any place I've ever seen, and they can be priced much lower than staying on the Disney properties--especially if you go when the demand is lowest.
Every parent goes to Disney World dreaming of some unforgetable image of their children having fun. Many times they are disappointed because the children are hot, cranky, tired, and bored with standing in long lines. And I was tired of hearing the 'Small World' theme song play over and over as we stood in line. I do recall one magical moment when my shy two year old and I waited to see Mickey Mouse at the Toontown area of the Magic Kindgdom. He was not at all sure if he wanted to pose with Mickey Mouse. As we were leaving, he suddenly ran back hugged the Micky Mouse character around the knees and said 'I love you Mihey Mouse.' This made the whole trip memorable for me. And I think most parents can find a similar special moment if they take their time, don't rush and worry about seeing everything--it is the little simple joys of seeing your children's eyes light up when they are happy and excited that you will most remember.

Totally awsome

From the moment I walked into the doors of the Contemporary, to the moment it was time to leave, I had such a blast!! Boy, what a resort!
It's truly a magical experience to go to a DisneyWorld Theme Park, but also to stay in one of their resorts. The Contemporary is a very modern resort, with really gorgeous guest rooms. I went with my Dad and Gramma, and the room we stayed in wasn't crowded at all. The design was really cool too, fun colors and stuff on the walls. Very clean too. I remember going outside at 9:30 and watching the fireworks. I was like wow, this is SOOO MUCH FUN!!! The resturaunts are very nice too, it might not be as elegant as the Grand Floridian, but still very nice.
Great food; we ate at a really great steak house. There are also many shops that you can pick up awsome suveniers, literally everything. I mean I saw Disney Collectable Spoons...You also have a wide range and variety of tolietries if you accidently forgot something. The activities you can choose from while your not at one of the many theme parks you can choose from were sooooo much fun!!!! There's two nice pools you can choose from, both next ot hte water. Wonderful scenery.
One has a rock waterfall next to the large slide. The other pool is a relaxing, cute, little circular pool. I enjoyed that a lot. You can take fairy rides on their fairy (the boat). Or you could rent a boat.
My Dad and I rented a motar boat for 45 min. THAT WAS SOOOO MUCH FUUUN!!! You can go anywhere with the motor boats, go real fast, check out other elegant Disney Resorts, and explore the waters. For the younger kids, there's a big arcade. I'm sure my mom and brother were jeolous. Basically, I had such a fabulous time at the Contemporary Resort, and I strongly suggest staying here.

Not Terrible

We stayed in the Contemporary for 4 nights in the North Garden Wing with 4 adults and 2 babies. It wasn't a small room, in fact it was pretty large and the room we got was on the first floor so we were fortunate to get a nice patio. (upper rooms don't have balconies) The convenience of being on the Disney property was nice, but you pay dearly for it! Food is SO expensive for what it is. We stayed with a great militery rate because of Shades of Green's renovations so it wasn't too bad but I would definately NOT pay the $300+ a night for the ultra expensive food and extraordinarily tacky interior decorating. I mean...WOW. I have never seen anything like that before! ;) If you are going to spend the money to stay on Disney, I would spend it somewhere else.

Overrated

I just got back from a weekend stay at The Contemporary and was very disappointed with the "deluxe" accommodations. I had the good fortune of staying in the tower (the rooms in the wings are small and dark). We had a nice view but the hotel is old and very ugly. We had problems with our reservations and had to go through several different staff members until we found someone who could help us. I have stayed in other places in Disney and would not stay at the Contemporary again.

Wonderful Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Cindywou

We stayed in the garden wing of the Contemporary and truely enjoyed it! It seems a little out dated in its Jetzen like decor but you can not beat the location and the ease of transport to and from this resort to anyplace on Disney property. The grounds are beautiful, the water soothing. a boat ride to the Wilderness Lodge for our evevning meal relaxing, Chef Mickeys loads of fun even though the youngest in our group of 8 was 22, and the monorail stop in the lobby pure delight. We had rooms overlooking the marina and our male companions enjoyed a fishing excursion from the doks of the Contempory one morning during our visit. I would highly reccomenf this resort to anyone wishing to stay on Disney property.

third time in two years and still love it.

Third time in two years staying here and plan on doing it again. First year upgraded to the tower and the last two years had garden wings.
Actually like the garden wings better, and much easier with two small children..Stay on first floor and can walk to the food court and lobby and the walking path to the Magic Kingdom. Staff is very friendly, and the pool is wonderful. Love the nighttime water pageant and my one and two year old loved the squirting waters. Visited in September all three times and due to the Military staying it was the most crowded but still did not bother us. never waited for a restaurant, even chef mickey's walked right up and got a table. I highly recommend it with small children due to the transportation.

Read this youll see

I am only 16 years old and i have visited the hotel at least 2-3 times a month for the past couple of years and i have had the best tome staying there i love the atmosphere and the people who work there are great. i go there so often they know me and my family i enjoy going there and i even plan on getting a job ther when i graduate!!!

disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member lama4

We were very disappointed in this hotel. It has a huge, cold feeling.
Decor is dated and worn in the rooms and throughout the hotel. There were some tired looking Christmas decorations that looked pitiful. We were in a garden wing, which is actually separate from the main building and a very long walk to anything. Dirty hallways, creaky dirty elevator. Worst part was the unfriendly staff. On the phone and at the front desk they were downright rude. Best part was the quick walk to and from the Magic Kingdom and the convenience of the monorail.

Comments