1 out of 5 stars1 Star

4510 North Fort Wilderness Trail, Orlando, Florida, 32830, United States
Hotels.com amextravel.com Expedia.com

More about Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground

The Whole family Loved Fort Wilderness

We stayed at Fort Wilderness last October in our popup camper. Except for the long wait at the check-in due to a slow poke Northerner and an attendant who likes to chat, we had a great time at Ft Wilderness. We have three young boys, 6, 4and 3 and you know how pesty they can get.
We recommend that you take advantage of the early access to the theme parks, and start visiting the attractions on back end of the oparks and work your way back (ie against traffic). If you go to the magic kingdom and you follow this suggestion, by the time you get to the daytona raceway it will be about 11;00 to 11:30 and you can get lunch at the cybercafe.

The food at Ft Wilderness restaurant was very good and the prices very reasonnable compared to the other theme parks.

Happy Holidays !

River Country at Disney Worlds...

by Randall_Burt

River Country at Disney Worlds Fort Wilderness is a water Park. I remember going down a water slide after my Cousin. Just before the bottem I crashed into my Cousin and we went into the water together. Painfull.

Best resort at Disneyworld

I have stayed at the Caribean Beach, Dixie landing and Polynesian Concierge and Fort Wilderness. Fort Wilderness is the best. People are so friendly and it has the most to offer in activities for both adults and children. I have reservations for May and we bought a trailer to take my son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren ages 4 & 5. The movies at night will excite the children as well as us "old folk". I love to lie in the hamock by the beach and just swing. We will be in the preferred loop and bringing our two Shih Tzu's. i love that the kennel is right there if we want to leave them during the day. Fort Wildreness has every thing!!

What a magical experience!!!

My family ( hubby, daughters 13, 15 , 2 chihuahuas and myself) arrived at Fort Wilderness on Christmas morning. We were early and our site was not yet available. They allowed us to park our motorhome in the parking lot and look around while we waited for our site. We took one of the buses that ran between the outposts and took a walk to look at our site. We found when we got there that the site was already empty. When we got back to the motorhome they let us go right in and set up. We were in the 700 loop which was a pet loop since we had our pups with us. The site was spacious (we have a 40 ft motorhome with 2 slides) and clean. We were close to the comfort station ( cleanest I have ever seen) and to transportation. We did end up renting a golf cart for the time we were there because we knew we would to so much walking at the parks. We will definately rent one again on our next trip. This was our first trip to Disney and we had an awesome experience. I could have stayed forever. I have to say that the wishes fireworks at Magic Kingdom were my alltime favorite. We stayed at FW from Dec. 25th thru Dec. 31st. . FW is so large that we did not see the entire park on the whole week we were there. We took advantage of the early entry at the parks, came back to check the pups and grab a bite to eat in the afternoon, (plus a short nap for the exhausted hubby) and then back out for the late afternoon and evening. That worked out great for us. We really hated to pack up and leave. Not a drop of rain the entire week.
We thought we were in heaven. What a magical vacation that we will always remember.

Extremely pleased with the cabin

My husband and 3 yr old son stayed in the log cabins for 4 days the week prior to Thanksgiving. I had my reservations about staying in the "wilderness" but was pleasantly surprised how nice the cabins were. I packed essentials I thought I would need and found that the cabin was well stocked with things I didn't need to bring along, such as paper towels, dishwashing liquid, etc. We will definitely consider staying at this property again in the future. We rented a golf cart which came in handy to go down to the marina to take the boat over to the Magic Kingdom.

First trip to Disney

My husband, my 6 month old baby, and myself needed to get away and have fun. We were amazed as to how beautiful the campgrounds were. Almost all of the sites were shaded with plenty of room. Endless activities to do in the campgrounds even in bad weather. Disney Transportation to theme parks and to Downtown Disney is the way to get around since it is all free and very little or no wait time, and save on gas and parking fees. Staff is always available and ready to help with anything you need. The only drawbacks we ran into was that we forgot to pack cooking pots and tea kettle and we didn't find any at the settlement depot. The other problem was that when I planned the trip with the Disney Rep on the phonw I was told that the signs were very clear and not to worry that we wont get lost. Well, we got lost, not only when we got there but when we went to leave. We needed to get to the Turnpike and there were no signs anywhere for it and hardly any signs of the interstate also. We will with no doubt stay in the campgrounds again.

Know What you Are Getting Into

Stayed in the cabins and had an ok experience. If you love to camp, I would imagine that this is one of the nicer campgrounds you will find.
If you are looking for a magical Disney experience with great pools for the kids and convenient transportation, this probably isn't the place to stay. The pools were very basic...no snack bars or food service.
Nothing spectacular about them as compared to the pools at the surrounding resorts. Plus you will likely have to walk 5-10 minutes or maybe even wait for a bus to get you there.

In order to get to any of the local parks or other hotels for dinner, plan on about 30-45 minutes of commute time. First you have to walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus, take a 10 minute ride to the landing, wait for a boat, take a 10-15 minute ride which may have a stop in between. The first time or so it was kind of neat. After that, when you are pressed for time to get everything done, it becomes a bother. I envied the folks who just walked out of their hotel and hit the monorail or a quick boat ride of only a few hundred yards to one of several hotels or the Magic Kingdom.

If you are looking for a clean and convenient location with a great pool, I would consider one of the other resorts that is hooked into the monorail system. It will shave your transportation times significantly.
The lodge gives you the same kind of 'woodsy' feel, with a nice pool and closer to the action.

The cabins were smaller than the pictures indicated. They are basically single wide trailers. Ok for 3-4 people...but any more than that and it will get crowded. Kind of have to suck in your gut when you are inside.

But if camping is what you are looking for and used to, then I'm sure this is a nice place to be. As is probably obvious, camping ain't my bag.

Best Campground Ever

by TripAdvisor Member sgibsontn

My family (husband, wife, son 8 and son 5) and my parents checked in our two campers on December 19, 2003. We had a small glitch at the check-in station when our original assigned sites were not ready yet (we did arrive about an hour before scheduled check-in time at 1:00 p.m.) so we pulled to the side and ate a quick lunch and rested until closer to 1:00. When we walked back to the check-in station, they said that our original sites (Loop 1000) had a water main problem and that they would have to assign us to different sites. That was fine with us but we wanted to be close together if at all possible. They had two sites in the 1700 Loop which is a pet-loop and we agreed to that even though we had no pets with us. After getting settled into our campsites, we rode our bikes around the campground getting a feel of the place and we were so glad that we had been reassigned, because in our opinion our area of the campground was more spacious and more primitive than the area we would have been in.

Everything that you read about the campground is true - you could stay here a week and still not see everything if you never left the campground. The sites are spacious, with level, blacktop pads, a sand area around the picnic table and grill, grass and woods separating you from other campers, two water faucets, sewer, electric, etc. The garbage area between the campsites are even special because the garbage cans are down in the ground with only the top portion sticking out of the ground and there is a separate container high off the ground to put all of your paper, plastic, cans, etc. in to recycle - Disney does think of everything! We were very close to a Comfort Station and it was the nicest I had ever seen in a campground. The bathrooms had a separate area for toilets and sinks when you first came in the door and the on the other side were showers with a closed in area for dressing and then an open area with a bench and places to hang clothes. In between the men's and women's bathrooms was a laundry with several washers and dryers, places to fold clothes and machines for detergent and fabric softener and bill changers (not cheap to do laundry but very convenient if you have to). Outside the laundry were phones - a pay phone and a house phone were you could make reservations and ask questions to a Disney CM. There was one of these comfort stations in every loop - or every other loop if the loops were small - and they were very convenient to most campsites. The paths to each of these were well lighted at night with small rustic looking lanterns near the ground.

As we went at Christmas Time, everyone had all of their decorations out just like they would at home - thousands of lights throughout the campground. It seemed at certain sections toward the center of the campground they really went all out - they must be there to stay for awhile. Our camper is just a small pull-behind about 24 feet. My parents camper is a 33' 5th Wheel with three slide outs that I had always thought one of the nicer campers out there. Boy, was I wrong - most of the campers were the big bus-like motorhomes that were around 40' with slide outs - my husband and I joked that we were like the munchkins in the Wizard of Oz surrounded by all of these huge campers.

We went to all 4 of the main parks at least once and always used the Disney Transportation. We took the bus from the Outpost to Animal Kingdom, EPCOT and Downtown Disney. We took the bus from the Settlement Depot for MGM and Ticket & Transportation Center. We took the boat for Magic Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary Resort. We also always took the bus for internal transportation to both the Outpost and Settlement Depot. It is only a short walk from your camper to the Bus Stop which is a rustic hut with vending machines and campground maps.
We never had to wait long for the buses from our Bus Stop (longest was 5 minutes) and rarely had to wait long for a bus to a park (longest was one night for EPCOT about 10 minutes). Buses were always clean and comfortable and the boats were exciting for my two boys and even for us adults. My parents, who are in their early 60's, especially liked the transporation because once they parked their camper they never had to drive anywhere again until the day we left - time saver if you don't know how to get where you are going and big money saver on gas, not to mention all the stress of traffic!

We did go to the Camp Fire Program one night and it was very nice, although we got there too late to see Chip & Dale. The movie screen is very large and the bleachers are great - it was a neat experience as we drank our hot chocolate sitting outside under the stars watching Pooh!

The first night we were there, my husband bought a few items at the Meadow Trading Post so we could fix supper at our campsite. It was expensive, but very convenient. A few days later we ventured out in our vehicle and found a Winn-Dixie Grocery Store and bought more reasonable priced items but it was quite a few miles away.

We ate at the Trail's End Buffeteria twice. The first time for supper and we had a great waiter named Bob who kept us entertained. The food was great and it was definitely all you could eat and then some. The prices were reasonable, especially for all that you got, the kids got to color a paper and hang on the wall inside the restaurant (which thrilled them) and the surroundings are beautiful. We also ate there for a late breakfast on Christmas Morning. The food was probably even better then, if possible, with every item imaginable for breakfast and some I had never seen before. The price for breakfast was even more reasonable. Go here at least once if you go camping here.

We toured the petting zoo and the arcade and playground areas and all are great. We rode quite a bit on our bikes but never rented a golf cart, as it would not have been practical for us as we were always gone at least a portion of each day.

If you are thinking of going here, take my recommendation and do - you won't regret it. I just wish we could have stayed longer than a week!

can't wait to go back

We had a great time, (there was 7 of us) we have been in the cabins twice. It's nice to walk around the campground and relax. Saves you money when you can cook at your cabin and not spend it on the food in Disney, it gets expensive. We are trying to book a cabin now, but nothing is available.

A Great Camping Experience

Loved everything about the campground and access to other attractions.

The wait in line to register was a rather long wait considering we were anxious to get set up and start enjoying the activities.

It was all great! Only negative comment is that the price is too high to consider doing this for a number of days or very often in our lives.
Too bad, as we would love to do extended stayes, not just a few nights.
We are campers and not accustomed to these sort of prices for camping.

something that's been bugging me!

by Lauz

Does anyone know what happened to Disney's River Country waterpark? Was it just unpopular and they built over it? Has it been incorporated into one of the hotels? I know it's not exactly one of life's great unanswered questions but it's been bugging me for years!!

by uk2usa

Its still there physically (at least it was last summer) but they done allow people in anymore. I guess it was not popular enough or too expensive to maintain.

by TheTravelSlut

Hello. I was just at WDW last week and stayed for the 1st time @ Fort Wilderness which is in the area of the old River Country.

River Country is gone but Ft. Wilderness now has the Hoop-de-do-Review, the riding stables, the horse barns, the petting farm, swimming pools situated throughout the area, and lodging can come in the form of cabins, RV's or tents spread out thru the area.

There are a couple General Stores, a nice beach on the lake, a playground, boat rentals, parasailing, canoeing, fishing.

I never went to River Country when it was open.

The Travel Slut
"Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere!"

by monorailgold

Hello,
Once they built the three other water parks, river country became obsolete. They shut it down because of maintainance and cost reasons. Also, it wasn't that popular anymore.

Donna