The Regal Sun Resort

1850 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, (Formerly Grosvenor Resort ), Orlando, Florida, 32830, United States

Wyndham Lake Buena Vista
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

In the Disney Village

We stayed at the Grosvenor Resort in the Disney Village. The Village itself consisted of several hotels for tourists who are in Orlando to see Disney World. I remember there was a Howard Johnson, Royal Plaza, and a few others.

The service was good, except since the hotel is so big it can seem like a maze at first. It's quite fancy (well, from the perspective of my 10-year-old self, anyway!), and the restaurant was great.

There are also shuttles that take people to and from different parts of Disney World. There is one for the Magic Kingdom, another for Epcot Centre, etc, so people don't have to bother driving themselves.

Unique Quality: There were 2 outdoor pools, which I went to every day after coming back from Disney World. They weren't usually crowded and I remember meeting a few other kids my age.

At breakfast, Pluto and Goofy of Disney fame walk around and entertain the kids. They're always happy to pose for pictures. Also, the food was great - especially the fresh fruit.

Since the hotel room doors are on the outside of the building (somewhat like a balcony with a row of hotel rooms), there are some nice views of the hotel pools, palm trees, etc.

Directions: In the Disney Village.

More about The Regal Sun Resort

Regal Sun "motel"

by TripAdvisor Member tracymac888

please do not be mislead - this is a motel, not a hotel. as long as you have lowered expectations, you'll be fine. on the other hand, if you're like my fiance and myself who were looking forward to a relaxing weekend at a RESORT, we were disappointed daily. from the sorry-excuse-for-a-weightroom with old, probably hazardous equiptment, to the tiny rooms and closet-like bathrooms we were definitely left shaking our heads.

the only good things that can be said are that the tennis courts were fine and the low quality of this "resort" is a great motivator for you
to get up and get out,

More than satisfied

by TripAdvisor Member smitty56

My husband and I stayed 7 nites at the Regal Sun Resort 12/5 thru 12/11, booked thru Priceline. I was apprehensive based on the number of poor reviews. We were given a free upgrade to a Tower Room, which had a great view. We had a rental car, no kids with us, and just came to enjoy Disneyworld on our own, so the bus transportation or swimming pool were no issues for us. We stocked our room's fridge from Goodings grocery store at Crossroads and ate breakfast daily in our room. With a car we also ate offsite, either at one of the several Crossroads places or at Disney but nothing fancy. We just need a clean, quiet, comfortable room when we travel and this recently renovated hotel more than fit the bill. We knew about the resort fee in advance, but as parking was free in their large lot we had no complaints. Even with the reno, this is not a "high class" hotel or resort but for us was more than sufficient for our week at Disneyworld. I did notice that things were not spotless as we walked to and from our car but the price for us was so good I am not complaining! Get a rental car thru [--] and enjoy some freedom!

You can dress her up, but you can't take her out.

by TripAdvisor Member Joandio

My daughter and I just returned from a quick weekend. We stayed in room 260 on Friday, Dec. 21st and Saturday 22nd.

I chose this hotel because I was on a limited budget this time and it is in an extremely convenient location (we love Downtown Disney). Because it was undergoing a renovation when I booked it, I felt comfortable that the bad reviews on this forum would become a thing of the past and we could enjoy a hotel that was sparkly and neat.

Driving up to the door, I'm impressed by the beautiful landscaping. Good. The valet looks at me and smiles. Good. I wait a moment, and when he doesn't approach, I get out. The first words from his mouth "Do you want me to park your car?" Bad. He should have at least opened the door and welcomed me. Poor customer service - but he was the only employee I can say that about. Needless to say, self park for me this time.

I step inside the lobby, and it is beautifully decorated. The interior design was impressive for a moderate hotel. Good. Angela helped me at the front desk and everyone was courteous and professional. Good.

I drive around back to our room. This hotel is similar to the older properties you find on the Vegas strip - a large, fancy tower section near the front, and an economy motel section in the back. We were in the economy section. No problem, I booked it.

The parking lot was a mess - trash and dirt everywhere. Bad. The corridor flooring leading to the rooms and recently been refinished and repainted, but you could already see where if a piece of gum had been spit, they would just buff over it and that gum was now a permanent part of the floor. Bad. The ice machines on both the first and second floor had a constant puddle in front of them, and the one on the second floor had a soaked towel in front of it that didn't move the two days we were there. Bad. We started to use the stairs once, but there was brown water dripping in a puddle on the stair well so we stuck with the elevator. Yuck.

The room was much better. It was simple, but everything was new and fresh - new carpeting, new linens, very firm bed. Good.

I won't stay here again. There were pros and cons. If the Regal Sun was in another city, it would probably suffice. But we're talking about DisneyWorld. I've stayed at 3 different Disney properties, including the budget All Stars. In the middle of the night, magic elves must wisk through and scrape up gum wads and trash. Everything is immaculate and manicured. Nothing drips. I've stayed at the Hilton across the street from this one - it was immaculate and beautiful.

We go to Disney World because we like that experience. The Regal Sun sits within Disney real estate and is an official hotel of Disney World (thought not a Disney owned property). Though the service is very good, it does not live up to the Disney image.

Not a resort

by TripAdvisor Member LinYPablo

We're big Disney fans and booked a room here from Dec 16th-Dec 23rd, 2007. We got a very low price on Travelocity, paying circa $70 a night with taxes on top of that. We basically wanted a place to sleep, since we'd be out in the parks all day, and a very close proximity to Downtown Disney. We got that but nothing more. Had we paid more for this room, we would have felt very ripped off.

We have provided pictures to view so that you can make up your own mind and we hope that our list of likes and dislikes are helpful to those considering staying at the Regal Sun. We've stayed at other hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area and our final verdict, we won't stay at this place again.

Before we do our list, we'd like to warn folks about the "free welcome pack" that guests are provided at check in. Once we had checked ourselves in to the hotel, the lady at the front desk referred us to a side desk where a woman offered "discounted park tickets". We immediately recognized this "great offer" as a trap that we fell into the last time we visited Disney.

They say that all you have to do is "tour a new resort/hotel" and there might be a "small talk about timeshares". We wound up getting 3 hours of an agressive time share salesperson pulling every trick out of her hat in order to make us buy a timeshare at (what we realised too late) was actually a time share condo complex (not the new hotel that they had said it was). We got our discounted tickets in the end but it was a horrible experience so please, just go ahead and pay full price for park tickets. No matter what they tell you, you can go into the Disney souvenir shop in the hotel to buy your tickets. We bought 5 day park hoppers from the Disney shop in the hotel. As a general rule, go direct to the source for Disney tickets and beware of smiling faces that ask if you've already bought your tickets.

Our likes:
1. A 5 minute walk across the street to Downtown Disney
2. The staff at the hotel were friendly
3. The bed was fairly comfy and the rooms were clean
4. Good price but it was heavily discounted, this place is so not worth what they normally charge

Our dislikes:
1. The front desk sending unsuspecting guests into a potential time-share-trap right after check in
2. Dreary and drab design (the lobby is the nicest part, the hotel does nothing to capture the fun of Disney...would not have wanted our children to stay here)
3. The door to our room faced the outside (felt more like a motel than a hotel)
4. The bathroom area was tiny
5. There was construction work going on starting at 7am and continuing up 10pm
6. Leaks in the hallways
7. This room for 2 people was half the size of equivalent rooms that we had stayed in within Downtown Disney area

It is what it is

by TripAdvisor Member ebbtide2

The older wings are very motel-like with outside entrancies. This property is nothing special, but is convenient to Downtown Disney and does have punctual bus service to the parks. The current pool construction is noisy and could be a negative for those staying close-by.

Not so great

by TripAdvisor Member bartwestpalm

Checked in 12/22/07. 1 front desk clerk - 30 minutes to check in. Call to confirm early that morning to confirm that our 4 rooms were near each other. At arrival 1pm, rooms were not near each other. Desk cleak told us rooms would be in the tower so all 12 of us unloaded the cars and brought the luggage in the lobby and valet parked the cars. When given the keys, rooms were in a wing with parking outside the room. Got the cars out of valet parking, loaded the cars back up and drove to the rooms. Double beds are really double beds - not queen sized. Room a/c very noisy. No pool or hot tub. Torn up. Flat screen tv is a regular tv with a flat screen, not a flat panel tv like you have at home. No space in room for luggage, big pieces of furniture. Would never stay here again.

Not worth the money!

by TripAdvisor Member dgall3

Date: December 7, 2007

This was a special trip to Orlando as I was taking my 3 yr old granddaughter to the Magic Kingdom for the first time. We had a "pool view" room but could only see a wall that they put up. The resort fee is outrageous as they charge you extra for services that other hotels have for free. I didn't use the in-room safe, swim in the pool (which was not heated, and the rest under construction), use the coffee in the room, or make local calls. To make matters worse, I didn't find out about this fee until I got there. Service was okay but not great. To me it is not worth the money even at a discounted rate. I won't stay again or recommend it to others.

Ok. Good to be close to Downtown Disney, but that's about it.

by TripAdvisor Member jaxgal

Pros: Room is nicely renovated, new soft comfortable beds and bedding. Stayed for one night and picked this hotel due to it being the cheapest near Downtown Disney for a New Years Eve event. Was only a 5 min walk to Downtown Disney.

Cons:
Poorly lit parking lot at night, a bit scary. Lack of parking spaces, cars parked along curbs and not in spots.
If you plan on staying here more than one night the $10.00 resort fee is not worth it. Kids pool in back of resort is closed and under construction.
We had late check out, were up till 3AM and had a maid banging on our door at 9am asking if we needed services....a "do not disturb" sign in the room would have been nice and may have prevented this.
We wanted to use the safe in the room, no key for it to be found anywhere in the room.
Food shop in lobby is WAY overpriced for items offered. Went there at 10:30 AM hoping for some grab and go breakfast items and place looked like a hurricane went though it.

ok for a quick stay, but I would not have lasted here more than one night. If you pay more than $70.00 a night, you are overpaying for what is offered..

Comments