Walt Disney World Swan

Places to see and be:
Walt Disney World
New York City
Washington D.C.
New Orleans (Feb or April)
Adirondacks
Virginia (Williamsburg) Going to Florida to see my Grandparents and visiting the Theme Parks. They are so much fun even when your aging.

ORLANDO

by Helga67

When you say "Orlando", everyone thinks of Walt Disney. Yes indeed, it's the city of amusement parks like Walt Disney World, SeaWorld, Universal Studio's and many more. It's easy to spend just a week or more visiting all these places.

WALT DISNEY WORLD & EPCOT CENTER

by Sharrie

Spend at least one week in WALT DISNEY WORLD & EPCOT CENTER in Orlando.

Relax... this is where all dreams come true. Just magical! So much to explore & learn. Exhilarating! Great fun, creativity and fantasy at its best!

Zero magic

by TripAdvisor Member miffyNYC

Just back from 2 nights at the Swan. This was supposed to have been a 9-night stay, but my husband and I bailed out immediately. We were on the phone to WDW reservations after the first night at the Swan, and only stayed the 2nd night because we couldn't get a room through Disney until night 3. Our story has a happy ending: we got to stay 7 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge--a gorgeous resort.

But, back to the Swan. What's wrong? Nothing, really. It's just that there's nothing special about it. It's just a hotel. It's not a bad hotel, it's not a great hotel. You could be anywhere. But, the thing is, you're not anywhere--you're in Walt Disney World. And when we're in WDW, we want to have that magical experience as much of the time as possible. At the Disney deluxe (and moderate) resorts, there's incredible beauty, atmosphere, attention to detail, theming, and that "wow" factor. The Swan lacks all these.

Where we stay is an important part of our Disney vacation. The Swan did not fit the bill. Also, I think I should mention that although our room was certainly clean and acceptable, there was an incessant noise of humming machinery from the roof area below our 9th-floor room that we had to drown out by running our heating/cooling system constantly...and the vent for this system blows directly onto one of the beds, making that bed unusable (IMO).

Neither the Swan's location near Epcot and MGM nor the good room rate we had made it a more attractive hotel than it is--which is an ordinary hotel with so-called heavenly beds, which beds are not so heavenly if, like us, you prefer a firm mattress.

Great Location/Great Beds

by TripAdvisor Member ejan

We spent 3 days here, with connecting rooms (we have kids ages 10 & 13). The location and transportation is great if you want to do primarily Epcot & MGM, and go to the Boardwalk at night. We did not like the shuttle to Magic Kingdom - very crowded and stopping at other hotels to make the ride too long. The room itself was very nice, but we also (like other reviewers previous) were not happy with the air conditioning (automatic turnoff). Couldn't imagine it in the summer!
(We were there the end of Nov.) Also, the "heated" grotto pool wasn't heated. It was very cold! Was told it had been broken for a few days (and why wasn't it fixed?). Overall, I don't think I'd stay there again. By the way, we payed only $144 a night (times 2 for 2 rooms) - teacher's rate - I definitely wouldn't pay more than that!

Fantastic Hotel with Great Service

by TripAdvisor Member PDoBaTien

We stayed here over Christmas holidays 2003 and had a wonderful experience. We had a two bedroom suite that had three baths, an extra sleeping area and living room IN ADDITION to two full size bedrooms. I had read the reviews and had low expectations but the room size, hospitable service and amenities of the hotel overwhelmed us in addition to the great location. The price of the suite was very reasonable and we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Disney World!

Bring your own cleaning supplies

The good things: The hotel room bed was great. It was very comfortable with down pillows and a down comforter. However, the linens are changed only every four days to conserve water.The good things---with exception of the guest hotline, other staff were positive and attentive. We enjoyed the Italian night buffet at Gulliver's.

Ok if you get a good discount

by TripAdvisor Member o2bmmw

We were 5 people total (2 parents, 2 kids, 1 grandparent) who stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in November 2003. We had a room with 2 double beds and a balcony on the third floor. The room was renovated and the beds and bedding were indeed marvelous. The pool area is huge and well maintained and the location is great if you are looking to be on Disney property at a discount.

On the downside, I do not know why they would not replace the hall carpets, but they were so rippled I tripped on them more than once.
That was disgraceful. The staff were at best, poorly trained, at worst, incompetent. I was given incorrect information, and forced to go to the front desk after arriving late in the evening to fix a problem the front desk created.

All in all, I would stay there again if I got the room free (with points) or inexpensively with a discount. Without a discount, I would sooner stay at the fine properties right next door that are run by Disney.

WALT DISNEY WORLD

"Splash Mountain"

thrill ride

Lake Buena Vista & the Walt Disney World Resort

by noidiotsplease

"The place that made Orlando world-famous"

Located along I-4 just southwest of Orlando is a gigantic tract of real estate that the Walt Disney Company has magically brought to life over recent decades. Dubbed Lake Buena Vista, the place is not actually "home" to many people (it has an official population of 16 residents), yet there are countless thousands of people who call this their "home away from home" or "home base" for exploring the magical parks of Disney. Typically, Lake Buena Vista is identified as the area around Downtown Disney and its surrounding hotels. Hotel Plaza Blvd. is the town's front door, lined with high rise hotels and near perfect landscaping. Closer to the I-4 interchange are numerous restaurants and strip malls catering to the tourist set. In the woods and along the shores of the lakes that surround this touristy nucleus have been carved several whimsical yet luxurious Disney resorts, three water parks, golf courses, the Disney Institute, Disney's Wide World of Sports stadium complex and, of course, Disney's four larger than life theme parks: Magic Kingdom, EPCOT Center, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

Click here to view my ORLANDO METRO photo gallery on Flickr.

For more information about the area near Lake Buena Vista see my ORLANDO home page!

Walt Disney WorldWalt Disney World

Walt Disney World MapWalt Disney World Map

Walt Disney World's 100 years of celebrationWalt Disney World's 100 years of celebration

christmas travel

by san12

just wanting to know what things are like just after xmas and before new years. we are thinking of doing new york before xmas and the day but then wanting to do graceland and orlando between then and new years and just wanting to know if things like disneyland and space centre are open and if so would it be a busy time to go then? thanks

Re: christmas travel

by OiKnow

From about a week before Christmas until about a week after New Years (the days vary depending on the calendar) is prime travel season. For Graceland you would fly from New York to Memphis. I'f suggest Northwest Airlines for that, they have a major hub in Memphis and will give you the most flight options.

Fly from there to Orlando. Just to clarify, Disneyland is in Califonia, Walt Disney World is in Florida; there is a huge difference between the two. Walt Disney World is open on Chirstmas and in fact has extended hours during the week between Chirstmas and New Years http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/calendar/parkhours/calendarHome?id=MKCalendarParkHoursMonthlyViewPage&date=20071201

Kennedy Space Center tours are closed Christmas Day and some launch days, but open the rest of the year. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/visit/plan_visit.html

For Florida this is peak winter season. Attractions will be open, the crowds will be large. Expect places to be very busy. It is a fun time to travel, just don't expect to have the attractions to yourself and plan ahead for alternatives if the lines are too long.

A note on Florida weather in December, it may be hot, it may be cold. It is the dead of winter and even in the sub-tropics it can be frosty at that time of the year, or it can be sun-burn weather. Be prepared.

Enjoy!

David

Holiday in Florida

by vinsin

I am thinking of going to Florida for a summer holiday this year with my boyfriend and maybe few other couples. I no there is a lot of theme parks and attractions to see. I was just wondering what the night life is like over there?
Any help would be great.
thanks in advance
s

Re: Can't go wrong with the nightlife in Florida!

by J-Traveler

Hey Vinsin,
I have a bunch of friends who live all over Florida, so I'm down there alot visiting. I think the best cities to go to are Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale. It's dirt cheap to drink all night, the bars and clubs are open till 3 or 4am and there's always happy hour. The other good part is once your at a bar almost all of the others are in walking distance, so you'll have options. If you do chose to go to Orlando, to check out the parks, definitely hit Epcot center and get a beer at each of the countries of the world, it's a pretty good way to start the day.
Have fun!

Re: Re: Can't go wrong with the nightlife in Florida!

by MercyM

The theme parks are nice. There are tons of hotels in the area which are inexpensive. All the major chains are down there. Walt Disney World is in Lake Buena Vista and Universal Studios is in Orlando. They are very close to one another. 4 or 5 miles apart. If you do not stay inside the parks, then you need to rent a car or stay at a hotel that has shuttle service to the parks. The average price for entrance to a park is $60.00. per day. They sell hopper passes which is cheaper if you plan to go to more than one park. If you are adventurous, then I would go to Universal Studios which has two parks. One park has nice rides based on Hollywood Movies and the other one has rip-roaring wild rides like gravity defying roller coasters! YIKES!

The night life in this area is a bit of a drag since they have to close at 2:00 a.m. MAX!

If you really want night life till the wee hours of the morning, then Miami Beach is the place to be. The clubs are open until 5:00 a.m. and then there are the "after hour" clubs. You can stay on South Beach. There are many deals to be had on the internet. South Beach starts from 1st Street & Ocean Drive to 17th Street and Ocean Drive. There is also another street called Collins Avenue but it is a bit of a walk to South Beach. Most of the Clubs are on Washington Avenue which is about 5 or five blocks from South Beach. Also, on Ocean Drive, there are many clubs, restaurants and hotels.

Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale are also nice but the night life ends at 2:00 a.m.

If you want, you can go to South Beach and then to Orlando to hit the parks. It is about 3 1/2 hours from Miami to Olando. Car rentals include all the mileage and run about $250.00 per week. If you are travelling with a group of people, you can rent a mini-van.

I live in Miami so you can e-mail me if you need further information. I am a bit new to this Forum so I don't know how this e-mail thing works. Regards and have tons of fun. Mercy.

Comments