A Little Inn by-the-Sea

4546 El Mar Drive, Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida, 33308, United States
Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com Hotelsclick.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about A Little Inn by-the-Sea

Excellent value, on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member dadoffour

We stayed at Little Inn by the Sea Feb 7 - 9. Due to the lateness of our reservation, and the shortage of rooms in Fort Lauderdale due to the hurricane damage, we couldn't get a room facing the beach - but it didn't matter much. The B&B is right on the beach. This place is not fancy, and the parking is limited (you may have someone park behind you and block you in). But it is clean, comfortable, and the owners have worked hard to repair any damage from the hurricanes. For the price, it's tough to beat. Our room had a small kitchenette. The breakfasts were adequate, not fabulous, tending more toward a continental except that there was as much as you wanted - our last day there were fresh waffles. Victor is willing to loan you a couple of bikes, and we had a great time biking up the coast. The day we checked in they had a Super Bowl party with extra free food. Other guests were pleasant, many were returning guests that were regulars at the establishment. All in all, very relaxing and pleasant experience.

A blast from the Florida of old. A last chance to go home.

by TripAdvisor Member Blye

Spent one night (pre cruise) and had a one bedroom apt. overlooking the ocean and beach.

The rooms were clean, but slightly worn here and there, not unlike I am these days.

The Little Inn is surrounded by similar "mom and pop" hotels which are themselves being closed in by mega resorts and condos. The place feels like the Lauderdale I remember as a kid in the 1960's, small, friendly and inviting.

If you are a glitz and chrome Radison sort of person, the small swimming pool and dated rooms are not for you. If you want a room with a view right on the beach, our room included a full kitchen this is a great option.

There are a number of restaurants and shops about 1/4 mile to the south but since we were there only a night I can't comment on them other than to say it would be an easy stroll.

The self serve B-fest was pretty good, even if the electrical outlets made the toaster a bit of a warmer. The inner court where B-fest was served was very quaint.

I'd be happy to stay again, hopefully next time for more than one night!

All a little inn should be

by TripAdvisor Member garygately

I've stayed in lots of Lauderdale-area hotels over the past 15 years. If I could create the ideal one, this is it. My wife, 3-year-old son and I savored our stay big, airy room with a
balcony overlooking the beach. The Little Inn By the Sea blends the best elements of a classy old hotel, a b&b (w/ great breakfast outside or in breezy stucco atrium where strangers chat all the time), great service of a family-owned place. And the setting's ideal, in an eminently walkable little town close to Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood (for best boardwalk biking), yet far enough away from the traffic, noise, parking hassles etc. My kid still talks about the night we had steaks we made on the inn's grill and then, as the sun sank, swam in the warm waters of the pool here. Hope to do so again soon.

A mess.

I do not understand the reviews, we had to leave becuse of the state of the room(and we have photos)
1) Bird poo on the floor
2) electrical plugs hanging out
3) Curtins dirty
3) Dirty balcony
4) overal not a very clean room

will not be going back

The staff was not accomodating and the room was not what it should have been. It smelled of disinfectant and the mirrored wall decor was very outdated. To top it all off, our reservation was not what we had requested. The room looked straight into another building and was inside the hotel....not poolside as we reserved. Though after a lot of discussion we were given a reduced rate and a new room, our credit card was still charged for an amount higher than agreed upon. When I addressed this with the manager I was told that we were "upgraded without reason". She made no effort after that to adjust the charge to our agreed upon rate.

Filthy Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mcc66

i made reservations for my husband and i. when we arrived at our room, the room was very filthy. it looks like it has not been dusted in years. we got our suitcases and went back to the reservations desk and asked for our money back. we got our money back except for $ 25 and we went to the windjammer down the road. we will never be going back again to this hotel.

A Little Inn by the Sea... a missed opportunity

We just got back from visiting this hotel. I read reviews that said it was a wonderful hotel with great views of the ocean. Great views, yes. Wonderful hotel, no!!
It was about the dirtiest hotel I have ever been in. We tripped over the broom and supplies the cleaning people had left in the hall on our way to checking in. It is open-air in the lobby and there was bird-poop on the floor for the ENTIRE time we were there. The pool area was downright depressing. Lots of kids toys just strewn all over the premises. and garbage all over the commom areas. The few staff that I did see were very unfriendly. We ended up checking out early and were met with dead quiet from the staff when we did, as if this was the first time that something like this has happened to them.
The place does have potential, and could be charming if someone was to just CLEAN IT UP and re-paint all of the many many places where paint was chipping and flaking all over the hotel.
Save your money. Go somewhere else!!

Not Such a Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member twink62

I wasn't impressed at all. The "staff" at the front desk, (which I would assume one of the women was the owner) was NOT polite. When I got there, I told my husband I wasn't sure. Before we took our bags up we said, "Can we go look at the room before we decide to stay?" Miss Personality said, "Well, I can show it to you but you will like it."

This person didn't know me so how would she know that I would like it? Guess what? I didn't like it. The smell of disinfectant was so overwhelming you could barely stand it. Way outdated and I must say, not the cleanest place.

The bathtub/shower was probably the only "clean and new" thing in the whole room. I will say that I did love the king size bed. It was quite comfortable.

I was a bit confused about being in Florida and all of the flower containers contained SILK FLOWERS. I find that to be very strange.

The complimentary breakfast was definitely not anything to write home about. There was never enough food out. And I did not see where anyone had ever brought out more food when something ran out.

I wouldn't go back to this hotel. Just wasn't what I wanted. My husband called me a "hotel snob." I guess I am. We then left for our Key West leg of the journey. Litte Inn cannot ever live up to any place I've ever stayed in Key West. Besides, they have real flowers in their pots.

Will never stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member pookie807

The drapes in the room were filthy. They had water stains all over them. There was bird poop on the stairways. The A/C in room had an inch of dust on it. The wallpaper clashed with the bedspreads. There was paint peeling off the outside of the building.

Our room was on the 3rd floor. There are no elevators, so you have to walk up 3 flights of stairs and they do no help you with your luggage.

The continental breakfast....well the melon was so over ripe it tasted rancid. The maid never cleaned our room. She replaced the towels and that was it. There is not enough parking, so you have to double park and leave your car keys in a box by the front door. Any of the guests have access to your car and anything in it, which made us feel really uncomfortable.

When we checked out at the front desk there was no "thank you for staying with us", or "we hope you enjoyed your stay". If you you want a nice clean place to stay on the water stay at the Captains Quarters or Sea Lord.

Don't go here!

by TripAdvisor Member ricky_1091

When we arrived after our 9 hour flight we just wanted to get to the great looking hotel we had booked on the internet. When we pulled up to the hotel we were really dissappointed. The paint was peeling off the exterior and sun shades over the windows had been ripped off, presumably by a hurricane and not been replaced. We decided to give it a chance and hopefully the rooms would be better. We checked in and went to the room. The room was terrible! On the walls outside the room, black mould covered the white paint and the smell was overwhelming.
Inside the room it smelt of damp and the floor was sandy. Window frames were rotting which barely held the glass. Bed linen didnt match the curtains and sheets for the sofa bed weren't folded, just threw in a heap over the back of the sofa. Every item of furniture had parts broken off, leaving sharp edges and splinters. To top it all off, the room wasn't what we had asked for. We complained to the receptionist who wasnt very helpful and said 'I dont know what you were expecting'. She changed the room for us to a 1st floor pool view. This matched our specification for beds but the standard was worse. The kitchen smelt. We later discovered this to be the fridge. The shelves were rusty and it clearly had not been cleaned in the recent past. The freezer was also a health hazard. It had at least an inch of water lying in the bottom of it. The microwave was hanging over the sink where water could have easily
splashed and electrocuted someone. As we were too tired to find somewhere else, we stayed the night. The air conditioner was soooo noisy through the night, it sounded as though there was a water fall just outside and was hanging off the wall....no-one got any sleep.
Next morning we got to see the pool. It was full of dead insects and sand, really dirty. Another down side is the fact that there isn't enough parking. Keys of your car are supposed to be left in a box at the front door for other guests to move your car if they are blocked in. This didnt make me feel secure as other guests had
access to my car and any personal belongings in it.
Breakfast was very poor. The fruit was dried up and didnt look fresh. I've seen better fruit served to the animals in a zoo. Butter and milk were left out in the warm, humid atmosphere as the dining room wasnt air conditioned. As a result the butter was tacky and the milk verging on warm. Eating area was nothing
like the website or brochure. Clearly the photos had been staged for these.
The man on the desk wasn't very helpful. He kept saying that 'this is not the Ritz Carlton' and 'i dont know what you were expecting'. He said it was an old building. It can be an old building but surely it doesnt have to be in such a state of disrepair? As the owner was out of the country we were refused a refund
until she came back. Staff really unhelpful and condescending.
My only regret is not taking any photos to post here and to send to the Chamber of Commerce to back up my complaint. Other photos posted here are very familiar.
In summary we had a terrible experience at the little inn. The website really deceived us. With a little care and attention the place has really good potential but unfortunately it has been left uncared for, for too long.

Comments