Coconut Cay Resort & Marina

Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 4 reviews
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 419 reviews
Expedia.com Priceline

BUYER BEWARE!!! COCONUT NAY!

by written on March 19, 2013

BUYER BEWARE! Coconut Cay, no Coconut NAY!
We were all set for our, suppose to be, beautiful Florida Keys vacation. This was a surprise vacation for my husband as it was his 30th Birthday. After reading the MIXED reviews and seeing the conditions of the room I decided that I would book this, less then motel status, accommodations as they were offering more than the other local hotels (bikes, fishing and boating). After our SEVEN HOUR drive from TAMPA, we arrived. I happily paid the extra $150.74 for the room as the receptionist stated the price quoted was only the room, not the TAXES or the HOTEL FEE…We arrive at just past 7:40 PM. We unloaded our vehicle into the jail cell they call a room (with only 2 outlet in the whole room), and were quite content as we knew we would be spending a miniscule amount of time in there, and we had stayed in less than normal middle class lodging conditions before. Less than hour in my husband received a call that his 104 year old grandmother had passed away and that we needed to fly up to New York State right away. With this in mind we went and spoke to the hotel receptionist (a representative) of the hotel stated that since we only stayed an hour we would only be charge a $50.00 cancelation fee. Fast forward to having to speak with our booking party (Orbitz) who took on the fight for us, AFTER THREE DAYS of getting the run around from the COCONUT NAY, Mary the supposed front office Manager stated that we would get ALL our MONIES back LESS the ONE NIGHT we never stayed. After pleading my case and explaining that my husband’s grandmother passed away and that I can provided proof of her death, and that we are not even in the state currently she stated that there was nothing SHE WAS WILLING (key word WILLLING) TO DO as others have used this excuse after seeing the rooms before, all I could do was laugh as I could totally understand after less than 60 minutes why someone would say that. OF COURSE! They are supposedly a three and a half star, rated number 7 of 21, hotel…Let me tell you something, I am not sure where this rating came from, or who is rating this but that rating is absurd. We WOULD HAVE been willing to deal with the less than middle class accommodation, the jail cell room, the gray (white but very dirty) tile, the toilet that you almost fall off of, the shower with the black mold, the rusted (bottom of) refrigerator, the room a/c that was hanging out of the wall, the two wall outlets, the 1990’s television, or the dead-bolt that didn’t function, but we needed to turn around and leave. We were told we should have canceled 72 hours before, and my reaction was “How? How can you cancel if you do not know someone was going to die?” I was answered in short “not my problem.” Long end short, if you want to stay in Marathon (which seemed beautiful from the road) pay the extra and stay at the Holiday Inn Express or another hotel that has reviews that are not mixed. Their slogan is “the way it use to be,” yeah in the 1960’s sure but this is Mid-2013 and it isn’t working for them...Their current slogan should be ‘Coconut Nay, stuck in 1960’s and can’t get out…friendly, cozy and warm jail cells for rent.’

If you like dirt and bugs....welcome!

by written on September 18, 2011

There are no words to describe this place. This is the most dirty hotel I have ever stayed in. I paid $146 for a hotel here and if I was a little smarter and knew any better I would have done more research and seen that right down the street is a Holiday Inn and its the same price and A LOT cleaner. It was so bad I had to leave and forfit a charge. Please dont waste your time and money.

Unique Quality: Broken down furniture outside and they even stole a bedside table from a hospital.

Directions: This is next to the little airport. If you pass a colored building then you went too far. I seen these same buildings downtown in the hood

Please don't waste your money!!

by written on September 18, 2011

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I am in the military and have stayed in some really bad and dirty places all over the world. For the price they charge you would at least expect a clean room. The owner is a lying crook who knows nothing about customer service and trying to get his customers to want to come back. Our room was FILTHY!! I mean dirty floors all over and stains on the walls. Bugs in the room and bed. Im telling you I never spend the time writing reviews but for this place I had to because I dont think someone else deserves to go through this. Dont waste your money!!

Unique Quality: Nothing about this facility is even remotely nice. They offer BBQ but all it is is a little tiny grill with a propane hook up. And the outside patio furniture include a broken down wooden chair next to a hospital table that is used to feed patients.

Directions: As soon as you enter Marathon and pass the airport on the right just look for the multicolored buildings that look like projects.

BAD BAD EXPERINCE

by written on April 29, 2011

n April 21 my family and I arrived at the coconut cay Located in Marathon key on vacation thinking that we were very lucky to get a nice room for a decent price based on their advertisement. To say the least this resort was completely disgusting, from the moment I pulled up to the room I noticed that I was booked next to the dumpster that was over flowing with garbage clearly too small for a 30+ room hotel which mixed with the smell of feces from some kind of septic disposal tank cleverly hidden 20 feet away from the door of the room with a fence and some brush. The room had windows which had no glass or windows that would not shut and there were no screens for any of those windows, the bathroom door was broken and had clear marks of pets scratches the coaches were filthy and flee infested. Every time we had food out a swarm of ants would appear out of nowhere, the tile was mismatched, the mismatched furniture was dirty, visibly unwashed and broken, there was no phone in the room, the table was far too small to eat on for a family larger than 3, the bathroom which was disgusting had an light switch that when turned on shocked me as well as my wife, the sheets and blankets on the bed where unwashed. The beds had no headboards; they were nothing more than a box spring and mattress on a rolling metal frame. The dressers were falling apart, and half of the draws were broken to the point where they fell apart when I attempted to open them. I believe this excuse for a hotel is not up to code especially with the electrical hazard that I observed at room 60 of the Coconut Cay Resort and Marina. When I noticed the poor quality of the room I asked if I could change rooms and was told that they had nothing else available. In fact I was told to go up the road 3 miles and try to book a room at the Holiday Inn if I did not like the room I was given. Tired from a long drive with my family I decided to stay and told the woman a that I would stay the night and start looking for another place next day we literally wasted 2 additional days looking for another hotel when we finally found one we asked if we can be check out that when the receptionist became angry and told me that she could have gave us a different room if we would have asked. She never offered that instead she told me in numerous occasions that I can go to a different hotel because the whole hotel is booked for the holiday week end. I do believe that she did have rooms but for some reason beyond my comprehension she insisted that the rooms were pocked but She had the vacancy sign on and people where coming in walking in all weekend long. Upon request to leave the Coconut Cay early the woman at the front desk told me that I would be billed for the 5 days that I booked. I gut very disappointed and proceeded to ask her again to at least give me credit for the last to nights that's when they called the authorities and had me removed from the property or go to jail Once I left the Coconut Cay I developed arch and a constant etch I called my family doctor and set up an appointment for me and my family for April 28. Coconut cay is clearly negligent and they are clearly false advertising their facility of being a clean and family friendly Resort. Room 60 is clearly not suitable for human occupancy

Nearby Coconut Cay Resort & Marina

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Marathon Travel Forum

Need advice about Marathon, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Marathon and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Marathon hotel reviews

Fantastic Scuba Diving
museum
MM 49 Only Seafood - No Frills
Restaurants
Poor value for the price
Don't you dare..beware!!
Fishing
Charter Fishing in The Florida Keys - The Best
Sombrero Beach
Off The Beaten Path
Don't miss the great food
HORRIBLE SERVICE AND QUESTIONABLE MANAGEMENT