57784 Overseas Hwy, MM58, Florida, 33050, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort

Loved It..

by TripAdvisor Member nicoleg

We were looking for a private, oceanfront resort with character...and we found it at the Rainbow Bend Resort! We stayed for a week. The weather was terrible, so we only got to use the boats one day, but had the weather been nice, the rate would have been a steal..it costs about $150 per half day to rent any boat in the Keys. The room was outstanding, full kitchen, fantastic view. Looked like Tahiti from our porch. My advice is to really examine the map of the property, some rooms are better located than others. Ask the advice of the reservations clerk, and book ahead so you have the best choice of rooms. Don't choose anything that faces the road. It is the Keys, if you want luxury, go to a big resort, but if you want a typical "old Florida" kind of Keys experience, go here! Very relaxing, want to bring the kids there this summer.

Dont listen to the negative

by TripAdvisor Member hmp75

We just came back from a wonderful weekend at the Rainbow Bend resort. After all the negative reviews, we were extremely skeptical about going. Upon arriving we were walked to our unit, which was the Octagon up. It was beautiful. This is a one bedroom, one bath unit on the second floor overlooking the ocean. The living room, kitchen and dining is huge. It was clean and the location was away from the rest of the units. We wished we could have stayed longer.

We went fishing on the motorboats which were free. Kayaks, peddalboats and more all free and fun. If you plan on relaxing this is the place to be. The only thing I would suggest...dont eat at the restaurant for dinner. You're better off cooking in your kitchen, or going somewhere else. The breakfast is decent afterall its free too.

This isnt a five star location but for the price its definately relaxing. We will book again.:)

The Mst Fabulous Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member ashrae

Within Grassy Key lies a hidden gem. Nestled behind a lush landscape, almost hidden from the main road, is Rainbow Bend Resort. Whether you’re traveling alone, with family or friends, or perhaps on a romantic getaway, this resort is positively extraordinary. Keeping in sink with its motto, “Unspoiled, Uncrowned, Unbelievable”, the accommodations equipped with private outdoor Jacuzzi tubs, activities, private beaches, friendly staff, and dining is truly all of the above. While most accommodations within Grassy Key can be over priced and either unkempt or overly franchised, Rainbow Bend is both affordable and one of a kind.
Each room is uniquely designed and each night’s stay comes with a complimentary breakfast and free use of a motorboat, canoe, and/or kayak, for your daily adventures. The on-site Bait and Tackle offers all of your fishing and snorkeling necessities; while the gift shop contains everything on your shopping list, all of which to ensure that you never have to leave the property to find what you need. For the true essence of tropical leisure you must escape to Rainbow Bend.

Not a Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Vbrat

A poolside efficiency for $227 was what we expected--the room very small, very old, and very musty and moldy. Bug droppings on the kitchen countertops.. We complained and were moved to another room. This room was much cleaner and larger. However, there was no view of anything but an air conditioner and the parking lot.
The motorboats were very old and rundown. My husband (who will go out in any kind of boat) said the boats appeared really unsafe and undependable.
The pool was dirty. The beach and the water were dirty. That didn't leave much to do at the "resort"
We felt it was highly over priced and the pictures on their (Rainbow Bend) website were very misleading.

A Horrible Place

by TripAdvisor Member scubapro

I didn't write about my stay for a long time. I didn't think I could be objective. This place is a dive. I have stayed at an 18 dollar a night motel once twhen I could not drive another mile or I thought I would run off the road in the middle of SC....Even that was not this bad. Filthy, rude, rundown, and that was just the staff. We ask for towels as there were none in the room. You would have thought I was asking for a kidney transplant.

My wife woke up chilly in the middle of the night and grabbed a blanket out of the drawer....She was mortified when the sun came up it was COVERED I do mean COVERED in hair of all types.....canine, pubic, you name it......UGH!! It was repulsive.

The restaurant was OK, It was supposed to be some award winning place. It was mediocre at best.....The beach is a white gravel area next to the water, not a "beach". However it was clean. The boats are a joke, they float....That is it. No bimini top or anything. No way someone could stay out on one in the summer, you would spontaneously combust.

We left after one night and we never fail to mention what a s--t hole it is every time we go by the place. We have been going to the Keys at least once a year for the last 20 or so years and this place is by far the biggest dump I have ever stayed in anywhere. The amazing thing was the price? I think it was nearly 300 a night.....Wouldn't give you 10...I'd rather sleep in the back of a car, a trunk, in the woods, you name it....Rent a place in Key Colony beach, a condo instead. Rent a boat seperate if you want to go out and snorkel and fish. For 300 a day you can get a hell of a nice place on a canal with access to the gulf and the atlantic and rent a nice new boat......Rainbow Bend, a pot of hell lies at the end of that Rainbow....And now you know the rest of the story.

Old and broken down

by TripAdvisor Member NJfisherman

First off let me say I had read the other reviews before going but decided to have an open mind. It was only my son and I so we needed little more then a bed and a shower. Good thing my wife wasn’t there.
As far as the room goes it was dirty and broken down. The beds were broken and the head boards were screwed to the walls but had broken free. The bed would slide around on the tile floor when you sat on it and the headboard would fall forward and hit your head. The mattress was worst then any I have seen before.The microwave didn’t work. The shower had lots of black mold and a HOLE in the tile wall that would let the water run behind the walls. Enough about the room. The free breakfast didn’t start until 7:30am so if you fish you will be out of luck because we all leave before they open. The restaurant was dirty and the glass tables were smudged from the last nights quests. Even with the added mandatory gratuity added to your room charge the wait staff still says “gratuity not included”. The boats worked fine but they only allow them out between 8am and 3pm. So much for using them after morning fishing trips. The grill that was outside was broken down and dirty. Overall this place was nice back in the 1960’s I would guess. It hasn’t been cleaned since. There are so many other places to chose from this will not be one I return to. I wanted to take charters in the morning and use the resort boats in the afternoon. The 3pm time frame made that impossible. The free boats and free breakfast is what got me to try Rainbow Bend. I found out the hard way they are not worth it. Oh the DIRTY old place isn’t worth it.

not a good value

by TripAdvisor Member bryano

Be aware of all their add on expences. Some of these would include 15% service charge(this amounted to $34.50per night), a minimun charge of $10.00 for the free boat.
The staff really did not care anything, they all seemed as though it was their last day there.
The rooms were sparse. The phone system is still out of service since last years storms.

2 Star Hotel after a Catagory 3 Hurricane

by TripAdvisor Member Rob_Dog

When my daughter saw the room she cried and she is 19. We rented the 2 bedroom apartment for 6 nights for a total price of about $1900. For almost 2K I thought I'd get a real nice hotel. The "family room" had a pull out sleeper sofa and a small TV. Not like the website pictures with a fully equipment room with tables and lamps. The bathrooms were horrible. The "kitchen" had a refrig with rust on the outside and rusty shelves on the inside. After spending one night I asked for a refund, they only refunded 4 nights out of the six. I agree with other comments about the "Resot" dirty beach(trash), no water under the fishing pier and thier boats... I wouldn't put my dog on them to do his thing. The entire place is a dump... I complained to the "manager" and was told that the "Resort" was just remodel last year. The windows had paper towels stuffed in the cracks to keep out the insects. The contractor must have been named Wilma.. first name Hurricane.

Unless you are total white trash or completely stupid stay away.

I would rate this place as a:
2 Star Hotel after a Catagory 3 Hurricane.
STAY AWAY.

For $130 a night less we stayed at a true 4 star resort. Try the Marriott Beach Resort in Key Largo.

If you stay here don't blame me .. I warned you....

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

Florida Keys Style...laid back! :)

by TripAdvisor Member runninfool

Very relaxed, Old Florida style..not the Hyatt but we loved it! Can wear your bathing suit all day! 15' fishing boats good for inland fishing. Boating staff very helpful and friendly! The restaurant was a nice surprise! Dinner was first class, breakfast included and good! Not a buffet of junk food...actual sit down breakfast! Pool and hot tub well taken care of... crystal clean! Our room was clean, fridge, coffe maker and microwave! Stocked with dishes, silverware and pan!

A broken down boat with every room!

by TripAdvisor Member muehleck

Their main selling point is free use of a small boat with every room. Unfortunately, the boats are not well maintained and were constantly breaking down. The dock master seemed aware of the problem as he was constantly recommending all boats go to a small sandbar (mudbar?) nearby, as opposed to a several small reefs a little farther offshore.....buildings have maintenance problems also, during one heavy rainstorm our room filled with several gallons of water.....several staff members were rude, one was borderline nasty......no maid service the 3 nights we stayed, had to call the front desk every evening and request clean towels.

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive CenterCaptain Hook's Marina & Dive Center

dolphin research centerdolphin research center

hurricane grillhurricane grill

Shell prints on a benchShell prints on a bench

Dive operations in Marathon

by grandmaR

Does anyone have any recommendations (or disrecommendations) for dive operations in Marathon. That's where we are spending the winter.

Re: Dive operations in Marathon

by TheConchMan

Here are a couple of recommendations in the Marathon area:

Captain Morgans Dive Tours

cell: 305-872-8528
E-Mail: twoconchs@worldnet.att.net

Re: Re: Dive operations in Marathon

by grandmaR

Thank you very much. The guy at the marina recommended someone who lives aboard here and works for -- captain someone - I'll have to ask him again - there's Capt Hook and Capt Morgan. There's not much info on Capt Morgan and the Two Conchs look to be more fishing than diving.

Comments