Doubletree Grand Hotel& Condos

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Doubletree Grand Hotel& Condos

Great Hotel To Wait For A Cruise

by TripAdvisor Member BGARDENLOVER

This is a great hotel to book into just prior to a cruise out of Miami -- which is what we did. It is one mile from the port.

The hotel granted us early check-in. The front desk staff was very accomodating to us, even though we arrived at 10AM, well before the 3PM check-in time.

I had paid for a bayside-view room and was not disappointed. Our room, 964, was a very nice corner room with windows looking out on the bay and down the side. The room also had a balcony looking out on the bay and boat docks below.

Our very nice bellman, Justin, told us that in the morning we could just look over at the port from our room and see our ship, a few miles away.

The hotel room was a bit warmer than we liked (because of all the glass and greehouse effect) but it was still very comfortable. It is a very large room, with two sinks outside the bathroom and a large dressing area. Also a large desk for those wanting to do any work.

The room is far away from the elevator but well worth the walk!! The hotel building is half hotel and half condos. The pool and jacuzi is absolutely magnificent. It also overlooks the port and is located on a mid-level rooftop. For most of the day, we were the only people in the pool.

Foodwise, the hotel complex has a lot to offer. In the adjoining complex there was a great steakhouse where we had dinner and a wonderful deli that served great lunches. Also a convenience shop for toiletries and newspapers is located there.

Justin the bellman told us there are seven restaurants in all. We were very satisfide with this hotel and plan to stay there again.

Excellent hotel & facilities

by TripAdvisor Member FloridaTourist2006

I struggled to find a hotel in Miami with consitent reviews, so plumped for this one, part of the Hilton Hotel chain as I thought we couldn't go wrong. And we couldn't! The hotel & it's facilities were excellent, we were within a mall with shops & restaurants which was great. The concierge desk was a bonus too, they gave us some great tips on where to go.

We were there 2 nights & although the price was slightly higher that anticipated, I was happy to pay it because of the facilities within the hotel.

The bus station is just round the corner from the hotel so we took that during the day. If you are in a wheelcharit (which my father-in-law is), it's a great way to get about. We went to South Beach to explore for the day. In the evening we took a taxi back to South Beach for dinner.

Would recommend this place to people, as long as you don't mind the travelling into South Beach for the action!

Pick somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member Alaskanone

The hotel was not very great for any amount of money. We had a two bedroom suite overlooking the bay. The view was great but the rooms were dirty. The first room they checked us into had cigarette butts on the balcony and paint buckets in the closet. The toilet seat was up and it had contents in need of flushing. I asked for a room that maybe they were ready to rent and they acted like I was the one being rude. They told me that I better like the next one because it was all they had. It was a little bit nicer simply because it was cleaner. The whole place was really dated and in need of a major overhaul. For the most part the staff were unimpressive. We payed the penalty for early checkout and moved to another location. Save yourself the aggravation.

Don't waste your time or money here

by TripAdvisor Member JackieE

We decided to stay here based on some of the reviews written here and it was close to our cruise ship. What a mistake it was a nightmare, by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed in! I had made the reservation several months in advance and booked a suite, there were 5 adults traveling together, the hotel was aware that we would not arrive till around 11:00 pm or later. When we arrived around 11pm we were told that the room that we had booked was not available because the people that were staying there from the night before and decided to extend their vacation. They said they would fix it tomorrow and we could have two rooms and they would only charge us for one. I asked them if they would please not put us next to a construction area. (I had read on this site a review explaining how awful the nosie was), the manager said okay no problem. So we agreed because we were exhausted. We asked them if they had a place where we could eat because none of us had eaten most of the day. They said no everything shuts down for the night and there was no place to suggest, no room service, nothing, they were less then helpful. Our rooms were entirely in two different areas of the hotel and were only able to accomdate sleeping for 4 people, so one guest had to sleep on the couch. The one room was okay but the other room was right next to the construction. This room was dirty and old. There were dead bugs in the shower door. It was late, we were very tried, and just decided to stay and deal with it tomorrow. The next day we went to see the manager on duty and he assured us that our room would be ready by 3pm that day because the people decided on late check out. I asked him are you sure that we will have a different room and everything be okay the next day and he said yes. When we went back to our room we noticed the cleaning woman was there, so we left, when we returned she had left the trash, threw out the bag my toothbush was still in and threw out my contacts. She took a towel away and never replaced it and gave us no soap. We went back to the front desk and explained to the manager MIguel what just happened and that one person was sleeping on a couch, the room was disgusting dirty he again offered no assistance. When we returned later in the day to the hotel for our room he said that the people decided to stay another night, I said we cannot stay in that room and I want our orginal reservation like you had promised. He said he has another room, he wrote it on a paper and said to meet the engineer there with the key. We went up to the room and waited several minutes, no one showed up so we knocked on the door thinking he was already inside preparing our room. A woman answered the door and had no idea what we were talking about. Furious we went downstairs and asked what is going on, when we were told that the manager is working on it, and would get in touch with us. In the meantime we contacted Hilton Honors Customer Service and explained to them our situation. They called the hotel while I remained on hold. They were told that they had no room ready, because of a key that was held by a previous owner. (That is when we found out that the hotel just manages the condo's and rents them out). Hilton Honors customer service went on to tell us that the manager went home for the day and assigned the task to someone else. Customer service said she would personally filed a complaint because this was not acceptable. We didn't leave because I had signed a document and was told that I would be charged the money for the room regardless if we stay or not, we didn't have a car, and didn't know where to go. It is really not a safe area. We then said we would wait for his call and go to dinner. We returned from dinner around 7pm and decided there was no sense in doing anything at this point because we were leaving in the morning. At 10:30pm that night we get a call to tell us about our room. We told him forget it we would be leaving in the morning, it was to late!

Stay away Miami has much much better

by TripAdvisor Member sharpertravel

Great position but in much need of a tidy up, and a massive injection of service culture

We had to ask three or four times to get anything done, for example.

Valet Parked our car after being told our bags were in the boot and needed taking to the room, 30 minutes later no bags, it then took 3 phone calls over anouther 30 minutes to get them.

The TV remote did not work, One call in the morning one in the afternoon over three days and it never got fixed.

Extra Pillows forget it.

If you stood in reception for anytime complaint after complaint came by phone or in person.

And here is the good bit the bathroom ceiling fell in on us during the night, it would appear a small water leak had built up in the tiles and it collapsed during our stay.

Miami has many many many hotels try them all before using this one.

Rooms vary greatly!!

by TripAdvisor Member Melto

We had originally booked a 2 room suite with the hotel, but upon booking the person advised me that for 20 dollars more I could have a 2 bedroom condo, with all the same amenties and more. I chose this option and I should have realized when something seems to good to be true there must be a catch - there certainly was! We got to our condo and the first thing we are greeted with is a dead/dried up palm tree plant. Nice! We then noticed how shabby and dated the furnishings were. The beds we horrible and the carpets were stained and disgusting. The only positives were the view and the spaciousness of the unit. We called to complain but nothing could be done until the next day, because apparently the hotel was sold out. After a horrible first night, the hotel made amends by switching us to a much smaller, but much nicer 1 bedroom unit. This one was updated and looked more like the website photos. The manager (Carlos) compted our first night and gave us our new unit at a well reduced rate. So depending on what condo unit you get, you could have very drastic experiences. I assume that the hotel rooms are more consistent.

Interesting Experience

by TripAdvisor Member teamtakki

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree before we were leaving on a cruise. Let me start by saying, that although the hotel is "close" to the port, it is still a $15 cab ride to the port of Miami. The hotel is about a $15-$20 cab ride from the airport, and about a $20 cab ride to South Beach. Becides what is in the hotel (which is rather impressive, a deli, mini grocery store, restaurants, business center, work out facility, huge pool), there is nothing to do within walking distance. There is a free rail system (about a 3 minute walk from the hotel) that will take you around the area, which is great.

We were unable to check in early, which was fine, but when we arrived at 3pm, they tried to tell us that we booked a Condo. This seemed crazy to me, but she insisted that we see the room because they are much nicer than the hotel rooms. We were very impressed with the condo, the kitchen was terrible, but we had a kitchen nonetheless, a washer/dryer, great view, beautifully decorated. The bed was uncomfortable (I was looking forward to the "Sweet Dreams" bed) but we figured we must have booked the room wrong.

We did check out our reservation, we did not book a condo, and the manager later told us that the hotel was sold out, so they had to give us a condo. Overall, I'm happy I stayed there.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member tinalouise325

My wife and I stayed here as the last night of our honeymoon and were very impressed. Beautiful, large one bedroom condo with a wonderful view of the city and bay. Room service was great, we didn't even leave the room. Beautiful balcony.

Great experience!

by TripAdvisor Member goiu

We stayed here for two nights. The hotel was great! Service was great! The only thing I thought was really bad was our deck. It was old and the furniture was nasty. They should have cleaned and painted it. Everything else was great!

Simply a NIGHTMARE!

by TripAdvisor Member sunrisewatcher74

This is the worst hotel I've ever experienced since i began travelling.I don't know how to start: the staff was totally incompetitive and rude;when we checked in the room was not ready yet(at 4 p.m.!!!) and after our complaint they suggested us to spend our time outside the hotel:unfortunately the hotel surroundings are crammed-full with aggressive homeless. After that the doorbell put our luggage on the tray and after a huge tip he told us to go upstairs with the tray on our own because he had something else to do!!!!The room has a stunning view but was simply gross inside with trash all over the place.We stayed just one night and went immediately somewhere else being aware that nothing worst could happened.Avoid this hotel!!!

More of the liberatedMore of the liberated

Los Pinareños, a Calle Ocho institutionLos PinareƱos, a Calle Ocho institution

lincoln roadlincoln road

CalamariCalamari

transportation in miami

by ybukele

Hi, Im traveling to miami with my brother this weekend and I would like to know what's the best choice for transportation in the city. I will be staying in the sofitel near the airport and I am going to need transportation to the dolphin and aventura mall. Can you please tell me what are my options (taxi, shuttles) and their prices? thanks in advance.

Re: transportation in miami

by cochinjew

The best option for you is to rent a car. the car rentals are inexpensive compared to taxis. to my knowledge there are no shuttles from sofitel to aventura mall. there are occasional buses out of the airport or you could take a taxi to the Metro which do not run often enough.. Rental Car is the best Option.. plus they tend to be cheaper during the weekend if no great event is taking place in Miami..

Comments