3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Orbitz.com AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Decent luxury

I had the opportunity to stay at the Miami Airport Sofitel by pure chance. I had booked a flight from San Salvador to Quito via Miami, and thanks to thunderstorms both north and south of El Salvador, all flights out in either direction were delayed. As a result, I was forced to stay the night in Miami and American Airlines provided me with a room at the Sofitel. The hotel is a beautifully decorated structure in a quiet area very close to the International Airport. I think that the first room I was given, on the third floor, was the worst one usually reserved for non-paying guests. The door had evidently been kicked in, as the lock no longer worked and the additional security features were ripped out of their sockets. The second room I got, however, was clean and well-appointed, with a comfortable bed and ample shower facilities. There is also a flat screen TV and internet (for a price). The hotel has a Starbucks in its lobby, as well as a proprietary restaurant that serves meals.

Unique Quality: By far, the best part of the hotel is its proximity to the airport, as it is a comfortable alternative to the older and more tired Marriott. Nevertheless, the curt service and the fact that they have not repaired all of the deficiencies in their rooms make me suspect of the quality of hotel management.

Directions: Right near the airport

More about Sofitel Miami

Ok, but not as good as other Sofitels

by TripAdvisor Member erinjason

We stayed one night at the Sofitel Miami Airport on the way to Jamaica. It was ok, but not as nice as other Sofitels we have stayed at. The outside of the building is terrible, some of the letters in Hotel Sofitel were burnt out. The building also looked old and not well taken care of. Maybe it is due to the humidity, as when I got out of the cab I thought I might suffocate due to lack of air! Inside the lobby was very nice, as was the bar area and restaurant. We did not eat at any of these but they looked very nice. The room was a nice size and we had no noise problems at all, even though we could see the planes taking off from the airport. The room did have a musty smell to it, also probably due to the humidity. I didn't let it bother me too much as I figured all hotels in that area were probably pretty much the same. It was ok for one night but I don't know if I would have been able to stand it had we been there longer. Room service was ok, nothing special as typical room service is. Prices are high, so be prepared. One of the things I thought was terrible for a Sofitel was no mini bar or water in the room at all. Hopefully this will change. It was not horrible but I probably would pick somewhere else to stay if I go again.

The perfect place to stay in Miami - Luxury at an affordable price

The hotel was really good value for money. It has a free shuttle service to and from the airport. The Dolphin Mall shuttle bus stops here and picks you up and drops you back which is great as getting around miami using public transport is not an option and Taxis can become expensive.
The staff at the hotel were really good, Eduardo on Concierge and Raul the operations manager were terrific and made our stay as comfortable as possible. I can not believe why other people have reviewed it badly, the rooms were really nice and we couldn't ask for more.

Nice Hotel, not as bad as they're saying.

by TripAdvisor Member manchez

Just stayed one night on the 14th of May, and thought the hotel was great! Upon arrival, the bellman greeted us with a smile and asked if we would like help with our bags. He even offered to drive us to a local Cuban restaurant we asked about!
The check-in was smooth and quick, asked for a corner room and got it. The room was nicely furnished. Only complaints were of the tub (dirty, non-taking-a-bath appeal), and the photos on the wall vibrated every now and then when a jet flew by (just took them off the wall for the night). Might ask for a room on the opposite end of the airport.
Restaurant was way too expensive for our taste (order of chicken wings were $14!). No problem, just walked to a local restaurant.
All in all, nice hotel for the deal i got on Expedia ($89).

My worst hotel experience

I came to know about this hotel when I was searching on Priceline and expedia for my trip to Miami. The ratings were 3.5 stars on expedia and 4 stars on priceline and so I booked a room directly on their website expecting at least a 3 star experience.

But it was my worst hotel stay experience.

1.This is the first time I was charged for parking in a hotel, $7 a day.
2.The lobby attendants didn’t even help move our bags when checking in and out of the room.
3.The room was big (king suite) but was old. I would say it was ok.
4.They didn’t even a bottle of water and coffee/tea in the room as a courtesy when you check in. Even a 2 star hotel has all these.
5.They advertise as free internet access, but charged $10.
6.One of the nights, when we returned to the room at around 10.30pm, we couldn’t get into the room due to the electronic lock malfunction. It took 4 visits to lobby and the room, before they could send an engineer to look into the problem. My wife and daughter were so tired, including me. They didn’t even offer a standby room to rest. They did after I insisted and complained about the service. And our baggage also got locked inside the room. We couldn’t even change our clothes and freshen up. And this was the worst part of our stay in that hotel. In spite of all these fiasco, they never offered a discount or anything.

Based on my overall experience, I would rate this as a 1.5 star hotel.

Great Lobby-Nightmare Room!

Hello everyone! I stayed at the Hotel Sofitel in Miami last month for one night. I stayed at the hotel because my Carnival Cruiseline brochure had it listed as a place to stay before debarkation at the port of Miami the next day. The brochure stated they offered complimentary shuttles which I assumed went to the Port, which wasn't the case. The shuttle is from the airport to the hotel (Carnival has since made a correction to their brochure). The shuttle that picks you up at the airport took about 25 minutes to drive by us. Once he picked us up he drove around the airport three more times looking for people to take back to the hotel. Something my party and I joked about, but was rather rude. The road to the hotel is a bumpy one! Hold on tight! You drive through a construction site which never seems to be finished.
Once you arrive at the hotel you are greeted by a rather nice entrance way and lobby area. This is the only four star area of the property- trust me! It looks very nice, but people- do not judge a book by it's cover! Our reservation was somehow lost and it took them 10 minutes to find it in the computer (don't ask me how- we made reservations directly through the hotel). Once at our room we noticed a rather contemporary look with nice lighting, but to deserve a four star for the rooms is ridiculous! I have stayed in a few four star hotels before in Germany and throughout the US and this was my first dissappointment. The beds actually concave which only happen when they are old. No other complaints about the rest of the room. The window overlooking the man made resevoir also looked out upon your faux balcony which the pigeons have taken over and the bottom is COMPLETELY full of white droppings. Not a pleasant site to look out upon in the morning! The windows in the room aren't the greatest. Considering the hotel is next to the airport, the noise at night might keep some people awake. The bathroom was nothing special- marble countertop.
The pool area is a little outdated. One nice hotel amenity is the fact that the pool is open 24hrs a day. This is the only hotel I have ever been to where that option is given. The pool is not heated and there is NO hot tub! The bar inside is very nice at night. It is located next to the exit for the pool, so at night most of the people who have been drinking stroll outside to smoke which makes it seem crowded at night. Plus most people drinking do not want to be near someone dripping water everywhere when they get out of the pool. The poolside furniture is unique. It is made of a heavy guage white plastic. Not very comfortable, but comtemporary to say the least.
One thing that struck me odd was the fact that the outside hotel sign located at the top of the building said " Hot Sofitel". The "E" and "L" were actually missing. I had a conversation with a business traveller in the morning who stated the sign has been that way for over 6 months!
The hotel overall was a complete dissappointment. If you are looking for a place to stay before departing on a cruise in Miami, I would consider the InterContinental which is extremely close to the port! If you want to pay the price for the Hotel Sofitel and be disappointed go right ahead, but remember.....I warned 'ya! : )

Are all these bad reviews for the right hotel? We loved it!

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our honeymoon on our way out to a Caribbean Cruise. From the moment the shuttle picked us up from the airport to the time they dropped us off at the dock, our experience was beautiful and luxurious. The bed was possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Everything was fluffy-soft and feathered and we felt like royalty. When we asked for a local seafood restaurant, we were directed to one nearby but we couldn't get a taxi to drive us the two miles (it was Spring break and they were very busy) so the concierge had one of the valets drive us in the hotel's cadillac. When it was time to come back to the hotel after dinner, they even picked us up so we wouldn't have to wait for a taxi. The next day was Easter Sunday and the Sofitel hosted a beautiful Easter Buffet. Neither my new husband or I were that hungry so we asked if we could just have a cheeseburger. Although the kitchen was closed to menu items, they agreed to prepare us cheeseburgers, which were served to us on the patio outside. The service was impeccable and again, we felt like the most important guests the Sofitel housed. I cannot find one negative thing to say about our experience there. I even called the manager when we got home to compliment him on his staff and his establishment. I look forward to staying there again next month for business!

Very Good Hotel With Exceptionally Nice Staff

by TripAdvisor Member bill2242

I stayed at the Sofitel two nights recently on both ends of a trip to South America. I was very pleased with the hotel. The staff were uniformly friendly and did all they could to make my stay enjoyable. The room was fairly big...and the views of the planes taking off from the Airport were great. The bed was one of the best that I have ever slept in. Food at the restaurant was good...but expensive. Food at the bar was much more reasonable.

All in all, it was a good stay and I would not hesitate to go back again.

Wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Pariz

We had a wonderful stay at the Sofitel in May 2005. The staff was very helpful. There were no hidden charges on our bill, but as expressed by many others the pool was unusually cold. We are looking forward to staying at the Sofitel in Miami again.

Great staff - Surprisingly great overall

I am a local Miami resident who just spent the night at the Sofitel due to lack of power at our residence. Booked the room through hotwire for a great rate. I had never stayed at the hotel but had visited for a day conference. I was very pleasantly surprised at the level of service. We order room service-my husband had ordered a pasta dish-when he received it he realized it came with red sauce-he called down and the staff immediately brought him the dish as he wanted it. With in 20 minutes-we got a call from the Operations Manager apologizing for the miscommunication and letting us know the dish had been removed from our bill. The room was well appointed. Bathroom was average. They had wireless internet access for a rate 9.99 daily and tv internet as well. There were a few down falls that I was willing to look over since the service was so good-1. 1/3 of the windows had transculent drapes-that's it-so in the morning the sun was hitting us in the face 2-you are charged $7 for self parking-for each vehicle you bring in 3-no mini bar or water in the room and lastly, in the morning, the walls seemed to vibrate a little as the hotel is close to the airport. Also you are charged a dollar to make a local call. Satisfied with the hotel based on the rate and service we received-I would not however have paid full price for the room. For that-I would stay at the Ritz in the grove or Key Biscayne.

Comments