Sonesta Hotel & Suites Coconut Grove Miami

Sonesta Bayfront Hotel Coconut Grove
Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Best location and view

Staying at this hotel is the best location in Miami. It is in the middle of the Coconut Grove scene and we had a spectacular view of the Biscayne Bay. We were a walk away from the dive bars, shops and restaurants. The crowd is made up of locals and college students, you will not see many tourists with maps here. Overall amazing time. You must check out Panorama Restaurant & Sky Lounge on the 8th floor.

Unique Quality: Beautiful pool great views of Biscayne Bay sunrise and sunsets.

• LostBoyPN's Profile Photo

Great Ocean Views in a Nice Location

Although we only stayed one night at the Sonesta, I could tell this was a good hotel. The semi-rooftop pool overlooking the ocean was spectacular. The rooms were quaint but if you get an ocean view, it was well worth it. Staff was accomodating. It was clean and smelled really nice, particularly in the lobby.

Unique Quality: The pool with the ocean view was my favorite part of our stay. It was magnificent.

More about Sonesta Hotel & Suites Coconut Grove Miami

Loved Sonesta Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ugafan33

Loved the Sonesta Hotel and Suites. Definitley pay the difference and get the ocean view. It has an excellent view of sailboat bay. Excellent staff talked with me on the phone all the way to the hotel since I was lost.
Parking is about $5-$6 day next door. I would give it 5 stars but I figure there is always something better.

Loved the Sonesta

by TripAdvisor Member lcrs

The Coconut Grove Sonesta has become one of my favorite hotels. I travel frequently to Miami and I recently discovered the Sonesta (We have stayed there twice already).

The views (ocean, partial bay view and even city view) are fabulous, (especially suites 1818 and 1901). It has a perfect location wether you are on business, pleasure, shopping, medical purposes. The staff is very helpful and polite. Rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. Food is excellent (Room service and Panorama) they even serve gourmet south beach diet. I did not like the Tara Steak House. (I do not remember seeing it the second time I stayed there). In my previous visit I complained about expensive internet service, but now it is free!!

We loved it. Adults, kids and teenagers all agree its one of the best hotels we have stayed at. Definitely not the most expensive nor the best rated but for my family it was the most convenient and fun (we had a two bedroom suite with ocean view)

Cons: Expensive valet parking.
Rooms with coco walk view are very noisy

Wonderful location, superb hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member realityaddict

I recently stayed at the Sonesta hotel, with a room facing Biscayne Bay. The room was an adequate size, with a plush king size bed, small balcony, and spacious bathroom with an oversized tub and aromatherapy amenities. The room had comfy robes, a personal coffee maker and the morning local paper was delivered to our door. The room was located on the 19th floor and was very quiet, but it was off season, so we didn't have neighbors on one side and the hotel seemed to be only a quarter of the way full. We did not hear the club music at all in our room, as it was on the opposite side of the hotel from the downtown grove area.

The Sonesta is situated in the best location in Coconut Grove ,it is right on the corner of the bay and only steps away from Cocowalk and downtown Coconut Grove. The hotel restaurant and bar are open-aired with beautiful views of the the bay. It's the perfect place to eat or enjoy drinks and watch the sunset. It is on the expensive side, but many of the restaurants in the grove are and the view makes it worth it.

The valet parking is a bit pricey - $19 per day, but the advantage is that you can retrieve your car many times per day without being charged each time you come and go, like in the underground lots.

The hotel was extremely clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated in an art deco style. The staff were friendly and cheerful and even let us check in a few hours early.

I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat, but I would always recommend the bay rooms, with their awesome views and quiet location.

by TripAdvisor Member BeachBoy

I stayed in this hotel only for one night. My wife was taken quite ill the day after our arrival. I called the reception and they immediately called 911. The hotel front desk manager Jo immediately posted security to our room and two hotel maids came to our room to ensure our comfort. One made camomile tea for my wife and brought extra pillows. The paramedics were brought to our room by the manager and he did everything possible to see that everything was being done for us.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the management and I commend them for their thoughtfulness in a difficult situation. I would particularly like to thank the two maids who showed genuine kindness beyond their duty to my wife.

Very polite staff -- loved the Sonesta!

I stayed at the Sonesta for six nights beginning Sept.20th. I can't convey how friendly and polite the entire staff was. The valets, front desk, bellman, and housekeeping were all so friendly and aimed to please.

My room was on the Cocowalk side and at night I could hear the music, but I popped my ear plugs in and it was fine. The walls are a bit thin as I could hear the couple in the room next door having sex, loudly, but again I popped in my ear plugs and it was fine. Next time I will opt for a room facing Biscayne Bay.

The room was a tad small, but very clean and nicely decorated. The robes were nice and the king size bed was very comfortable. It had a thick pillow top mattress and the most comfortable pillows I have ever laid my head on.

The bathroom had a huge oversized bathtub and aroma therapy soaps and gels.

I didn't try the restaurant on the 8th fl but the view from it was amazing. There is also an outdoor area for sunning and relaxing on the 8th fl with great views.

The $19 per day valet parking is expensive but you can get your car out as many times as you like all for $19 a day. It beats the public parking lot next door which charges you every time you take your car out.

I definitely recommed this hotel and would stay there again. THere is a nice park across the street and it's right around the corner from CoCowalk. Monty's, a fantastic seafood restaurant is right down the street. It is also close to Coral Gables and just 10-15 minutes to Miami Beach.

Thanks, Sonesta!

So'noise'ta

I personally don't like speaking or writing wrong of anything or anyone but if your reading this it is because you made time as I have had to do in order to let you know about our experience.

What do you call a getway when your staying on a high floor and all you can listen to is the hallways full of adults who can't control their children in the wee hours of the night... When we phoned the reply was we can't do anything about that... I asked them please to have a security guard or someone from the hotel check it out and to no avail. This is not comforting when we are all paying (HIGH RATES) just to get to the VMA's! To top this one off when we showed up to take the transportation to the other hotel they offer it no longer is available and they couldn't do anything about that either!

The view was nice of the bay - nothing out of this world
Pool staff - not great, needs help on customer service
all in all our experience was not the best or the worst (would you say?) :(

The utmost and worst decision we could have made. If your looking for an ambiance to set the mood whether for biz or pleasure - take my advise on this - don't do it there.

the time will come that we will try it again, but it surely will be a long time.

Good luck if this is your choice, but there are other bed and breakfasts that are more accomodating to the people staying there. For now we surely will be going elsewhere.

RESPONSE: So"NOISE"ta!

SOOOO Stylish

by TripAdvisor Member Sheg

This was our second stay at this Sonesta. The first time was 1 1/2 years ago and we stayed in a one bedroom suite. This time we had a standard room and we were not disappointed. The bathroom was a very nice size and the bedroom was perfectly acceptable, nicely appointed with an astounding city view (19th floor room). The lobby at this hotel was as stylish as ever and perfectly kept. All staff was very pleasant and gracious. We avoided the $19/day valet by simply parking in the parking garage immediately next door ($7.50). Noise was minimal and enjoyed having the newspaper the next morning as well as the in room coffee maker. Easy walk to CocoWalk and the other terrific little boutiques.Would go back a third time!Do have a drink or go up to the pool at least to take in the bay view. Very pretty.

The Sonesta was Great!

by TripAdvisor Member ValFritz

We just returned yesterday from staying at the Sonesta. My son & I were touring the University of Miami, and they gave a tremendous discount for that, by the way. I had never been to Coconut Grove and booked this hotel based on reviews on this site. I also joined their Gold Club (free) and this apparently gave me a deluxe room, as well as a free breakfast each day! Unfortunately, no ocean views were available. I had read the posts about how noisy the hotel could be, so I requested a high floor to try to cut down on that. Didn't help. Our first night there (Sat.), either the bar next door or the sounds from a band playing at CocoWalk a block away sounded like it was on our balcony (and we were on the 17th floor). It went on until 1:30 a.m. But that was absolutely the only thing bad about the hotel. If I went again, however, I'd spring for the ocean view, if available, and not the city view. We had a deluxe room, as I said, that had a kitchenette and was VERY large. The service, the beds, the robes--everything was Ritz Carlton quality. Parking at $19 a day is very pricy--especially when they'd like you to tip them each time you get your car. I wasn't sure how many times we'd be going in and out, so I decided to use the hotel valet instead of the garage next door. Had I known we'd only go out twice a day, I'd have done the garage ($5 weekends, but you're charged each time you leave). Not only that, you have to wait for the valet to bring your car around. Chaz, the bellman, spent 10 mins. in our room when we arrived telling us where things were, pointing out places of interest in Cocowalk, etc. He was great. The restaurant has a spectacular view from the 8th floor and the food is great.

I'd read that Cafe Tutu Tango in Cocowalk was the #1 rated restaurant for food in the area. We went there Sunday night and it was fabulous. They also have late night happy hour from 10p.m.-1a.m. with 2 for 1 drinks. Loud but very fun--seems more like you're in Mexico.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

the hotel was nice overall - city view was load

by TripAdvisor Member P4P2P

The hotel was nice. Although we requested a crib they still put us on the city view side. It was way to loud. I don't understand why they did not think of this prior to our arrival. We requested a room change but they where unable to accomadate us until the last night we where there since they where booked.
Tehy also knocked down the final bill since we lost 2 nights of sleep because of the thumping from the club right next door.

Transportation - Coconut grove, MIAMI downtown, Lincoln Road

by bean4bean4

Is it easy to get a cab anywhere in Coconut Grove to go to South Beach, Lincoln Road?

Where are the best shops in Miami?(I'm looking for luxury shops - e.g. Gucci, Ferragamo, etc..).

In what area are the best restaurants (any with Michelin stars)?

thank's

by rmdw

Miami is quite spread out. I think it would be much more cost effective for you to rent a car and drive between Coconut Grove and South Beach.

by wilcofan

Cabs are easy to get if you can remember just ONE number and that number is 4.

If you need a cab call 305-444-4444. It's not like NY where you can just Hail a cab. Generally you need to call.

That said, they aren't cheap. Renting a car COULD be more economical depending on where you are staying and where you plan to go. IT could cost $30 to get from South Beach to Grove. Possibly more. Also, parking in places like the grove and South Beach will cost $10-20 each time.

As for high end shops... there are some on Sobe but they are more spread out but if you go to the Bal Harbour Shops... they are north of South Beach on Collins Ave. Should have what you are looking for.

Have a nice trip.

by Homanded

As previous posters have mentioned, Miami is quite large and, spread out.
Unlike other cities, our transportation system really does leave alot to be desired!
Hailing a cab is out of the question. Best call ahead and be picked up.

This WILL get costly! Our traffic situation is very congested.
(It took me 45 minutes to drive 8 miles yesterday due to an accident on the expressway).

Renting a car *might* be cheaper but, (especially on the beach and the Grove), parking is expensive and tickets are freely handed out by over zealous parking meter cops who are looking for unsuspecting tourists who's meters run out.

As to the restaurants, check out these sites, especially the first one.

by TRimer

Just so you know- the better restaurants and stores in South Beach are not on Lincoln Road but closer to 6th Avenue. If you go down to South Beach try out WISH Restaurant in The Hotel. There are some luxury shops (Armani) down in South Beach but the nicer places will be at an upscale mall as described by previous posters.

Comments