The Raleigh Hotel

The Raleigh
Booking.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Love this hotel!

My husband & I recently spent our honeymoon at The Raleigh & had a fantastic experience. I have spent a lot of time in South Beach over the past 10 yrs & have stayed in several other hotels. I love the laid back feel of The Raleigh. The staff is wonderful- very helpful & friendly. We were upgraded to a Oceanfront room with balcony which was perfect! Sure, the walls are a bit thin but the hotel (as most South Beach hotels are) is old & that is to be expected. If you are looking for a South Beach hotel that offers luxury without annoying hipster attitude The Raleigh is the place for you!

Unique Quality: Wonderful staff, excellent beach service & pool.

• Docu2001's Profile Photo

Cool as Cash can ...

It doesn't get much hipper or more stylish than this ... and it comes at a price ... I was on a business trip and during the off-season so it wasn't too bad. I must say that the rooms were very comfortable, with fantastic pillows and sheets and things to eat and drink and wash with. You come out of the room all clean and smelling good ...

Unique Quality: The pool was long and blue and surrounded by beautiful people. A great little Bar at poolside and lots of lounge chairs and all the things you need to chill.

There is also a charming little coffee shop in the lobby ... it looks like an old diner from the 30's ...but the prices (4.00 for a cup of coffee) are ultra modern.

Directions: South Beach

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

best pool bar

While staying at the Raleigh you'll spend some quality time in the pool. Whether in the pool or out on their private beach sunning the attendants at the Pool bar take care of you with powerful good drinks.
    Best margaritas and mojitos in town. Also the most expensive, but hey you only live once.

Unique Quality: I'm wet from swimming, why yes I'll have another...

Directions: out back

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Art Deco style and great service

Beautiful location right on the beach. Amazing pool with a pool side bar with gracious attendants. Old school style of rooms with all the modern conveniences. Great food, drinks and service - all at a prety hefty price if you can take it.
    Truly an oasis compared to the jungle of hotels on the main strip 3 blocks away. Even has an outdoor gym that goes mostly unused but has everything you need.
    Rooms range from $195 (I think) on up. Oceanside rooms, not suites, at $300 a night.

Unique Quality: The pool, filmed in many old Ester Williams films and others as well. Great restaraunt, unbelieveable staff.

Directions: Ocean Front, Collins at the corner of 18th St

More about The Raleigh Hotel

Best nights to go to each club

by shubiug about Beaches/South Beach/Art Deco District

MONDAYS
Club B.E.D ( location: Washington)

TUESDAYS (Washington and 17)
Rumi

WEDNESDAY ( location: Washington)
Club B.E.D

THURSDAYS ( location: Washington)
Crobar

FRIDAYS
Prive
Opium

SATURDAYS ( location: Washington)
MAnsion

SUNDAYS
Niki Beach
Raleigh Hotel AWAYS dress to impress chic and classy!!!

Loved the Raleigh - always first choice now

We stayed at the Raleigh for five nights in early January. Our hotel choice is very important to us, a bad hotel can ruin the trip and believe me we are VERY fussy about where we stay.
After reading the reviews on tripadvisor we were apprehensive and almost cancelled our reservation based on the negative feedback. Luckily all other hotels we had thought about were full otherwise we would have missed out on a truly wonderful experience.

Everything about the Raleigh was wonderful. Understated, elegant design throughout the public spaces and the rooms. Carefully restored original features mixed with quality furniture. Rooms are now carpeted on top of the original terrazzo floors. Luxury bedlinen and the most comfortable bed ever slept in. The pool is truly amazing and behind the pool the grounds extend right down to the ocean via the Den - a private area of cabanas, loungers and cushions with a fire blazing at night. Don't miss out on dining on the terrace, great for breakfast and an amazing space for dinner. Coffee bar in the lobby is open 24 hours, great original restored features and very handy.

Service throughout our stay was top rate. The pool staff were extremely friendly and attentive. There was a small min-bar overcharge on my bill at checkout and it was removed without hesitation or question.

We cannot rate the Raleigh high enough.It will always now be
our first choice in South Beach.

For a cool, stylish relaxing ambience it will be hard to beat.

Disaster-a-rama!

by TripAdvisor Member RealityCheck310

Our vacation began with the bellman breaking our luggage and spiraled south from there. This was one of the most uniquely terrible experiences we have ever had. To begin, the hotel was under renovation when we arrived for our five night (there's a minimum, sir!)stay. Jackhammering began promptly at 9am and continued throughout the day. We were not warned in advance. Workmen everywhere. Plastic tarps in the halls. The room itelf was laughable - a college dorm with a few Ikea touches. A cheap plasma TV and a pathetic "king" sized bed (actually a queen!). No hot water in the shower, crappy towels and general amenities that barely edged out the local YMCA. To add insult to injury, the posted maximum allowable rate by Law for our room was $295.00/night. Our rate? $395.00 Hello, extortion anyone? Well, with nowhere else to go (SOBE was booked) we stormed the front desk to discover guest after guest in front of us blowing gaskets left and right. It became a running joke - "This hotel Raleigh (really) sucks!"

The New Year's Eve party at the Raleigh was pathetic. $150.00 a person and free "well" alcohol at only one of the four bars?! Crappy DJ and no food whatsoever! A few blow up toys in the freezing cold pool and a clown parachute? The only celeb to stumble through this
travesty was Kid Rock - and he only stayed for five minutes. Must've been lost.

So, stay clear of this stinker! Trust us! We ignored the other bad reviews and boy were we sorry!

Was there an upside, you ask? Well, the staff was very nice, but often disorganized and overwhelmed by the avalanche of complaints hitting them from all sides. Bummer, huh?

Oh yeah, the pool. "Oh, the pool is amazing! You HAVE to see the pool! It's an oasis in South Beach!" Oh come on!!!! This area was a B-at best with palm trees obscuring the best tanning areas and understaffed waiters doing their best to deliver overpriced eggs and cafe con leches. You want a pool? Go to The National or to The Delano or to the Shore Club.

This isn't a resort. It's a disaster. Amateur hour has hit South Beach and it plays around the clock at the Raleigh Hotel.

Barking Dog

We stayed at the Raleigh in early May and would definitely go back. Very good customer service. The only negative that you will see repeated over and over is that the walls are very thin and sound travels. Especially at 3:00 AM when the room across the hallway had a little yapping dog that barked for 20-25 minutes. I had to call the front desk and they came and removed the dog. Then when the guests returned from partying about 4:00 AM they freaked out that there little dog was missing. I questioned the hotel if dogs were allowed in the rooms and they said "YES". I have since read in a travel mag that this is really catching on where many travel with their dogs and hotels are beginning to allow more of this. I don't have a problem with that except for the hotels with super thin walls.

Better than I expected

After reading the last few reviews before coming, I had low expectations of the place: all flash (Paris Hilton and Lindsay lohan had partied there over New Years), but not much meat. So I was quite pleasantly surprised. Stayed for one Saturday night on a business trip and found no signs (or noises) of renovation. The service was very friendly, but slow and kinda clueless (I understand that's true all around Miami). It took half an hour for the bellman to bring my bag to my room, and only after I had to call and remind them. When I ordered the $10 eggs, the menu said I had a choice of bread, but the waiter forgot to ask. When I flagged him down, he said that he had chosen wheat toast for me, and was that ok? Was it really too much trouble to go back and ask me?

The ladies room in the lobby was very shabby: peeling paint on the window sills and bathroom stall doors, as well as holes in the tile in the stalls, but because they threw up a big baroque mirror, they were calling it renovated. Kinda typical South Beach: dilapidated, with a fancy veneer.

The room was fairly spartan, in a high/low style kind of way. The Nakamichi sound system, big plasma tv and yummy bedding (feather pillows and comforter, 400-thread-count sheets) and hefty towels made for luxurious appointments, while the furniture had a cheapy retro feel. My room had a carpet, which was welcome given all I had read about noisy rooms. The A/C was extremely noisy, and I did hear my neighbor's shower far too clearly, but otherwise, I never heard anything from above, as other visitors have written. The shower was lukewarm, with little water pressure, and no way to adjust. :( And what's with no kleenex in the bathroom? I finally found a box in the closet, but was worried that if I opened it and used one, I'd be charged (a la mini bar), so I abstained. And they only provided a little tabletop ironing board, highly impractical as there were no A/C outlets that weren't in use for the electronics or lights. All in all, for $395 a night, they could've been more attentive to details. That's what really makes a first-class hotel.

Hands down, the best part of the place was the pool area--a lush and relaxing oasis. All the seating was well-designed, inviting and comfy (lots of deep-cushioned, high-backed love seats, poolside beds, tons of cushioned chaises, cool private cabanas). And with lots of candles and lanterns hanging from the bushy canopy of palm trees, it was very magical at night. All conducive to intimate conversation. During the day, it was an extremely pleasant hang.

But that's assuming you're willing to pay the exorbitant prices. Aside from the $395 room tab, the dinner entrees ran in the $25-$35 range, and that was WITHOUT sides. If you wanted rice or a vegetable with that, it was another $7 extra per side. If you ate a three-course meal, with a few sides (they can't even throw a few carrots on the plate?), and a glass of wine, it was $75 per person. The food was all very delicious (for brunch, I had their famous banana bread french toast, which was sublime), but you could choke on the prices.

No huge complaints (hey, it was business, and I wasn't picking up the tab), but is it value for the money? Probably not.

The most beautiful hotel in south beach

The Raleight is exquisite. It has a "baroque" swimming pool that was once named by LIFE magazine as "the most beautiful in America." The interiors are elegant, the beach access superb. This is the most delightful and sophisticated choice is South Beach.

Great hotel but very noisy rooms

by TripAdvisor Member julo

The hotel is great (location, pool, decoration,...) but the rooms are very noisy. Be prepared to hear the neighbors above, below and next door, the maids,...

RBC Centre: Carolina Hurricanes (Raleigh, NC)RBC Centre: Carolina Hurricanes (Raleigh, NC)

Some Useful URLs Requested

by beatchfre

Hi there,

Thank to the advice on my last post, I'm booked up and good to go for my Miami trip. Staying at the Pelican Hotel. Anyway, still waiting on my lonely planet guide, so here are a few questions. All can be answered by providing my with a URL :-)

What is the biggest, most up to date event listings web site for Miami. The one that the locals swear by? Are there any really good web sites that review, show photos of, and list events going on at bars/nightclubs in the area.

DigitalCity has som pretty good listings, but I'm wondering what the local use.

Here's what you should do..

by mattdoc

Check out www.cooljunkie.com for listings or New Times newspaper- like the NYC village voice- free on the street.

Some sure bets:

Sunday Nights at Nikki Beach club; Club Space in downtown Miami; Crobar Friday or Saturday- may be worth spending the money to get into VIP. The hotel scene is worth checking out- Skybar at Shoreclub, Delano Hotel, National Hotel...Other good places- Mynt Lounge (say hello to Paris Hilton for me), Clevelander, Automatic Slims, Dinner on Lincoln Road. If you get tired of the beach, Coconut grove and the design district (club Grass), are Worth a look. have fun

RE: Some Useful URLs Requested

by beatchfre

Thanks for your tips - I think I'll check out Space and Crobar for sure. One question - Nikki Beach looks like an outdoor swimming pool kinda bar/club - the kind I see when I flick through MTV. Seems to be full of hot girls and topless guys. Anyway, will I look out of place wearing a shirt there? Not that I'm ashamed of my beer belly... or my hairy back/shoulders ;-)

We're actually leaving Miami to fly to Albuquerque at 7pm on the Sunday - it Nikki Beach a place you go to during the day? Is that the only day it's open or something?

Thanks!

Lee

RE: RE: Some Useful URLs Requested

by mattdoc

You might want to wax your back hair and do a few sit ups on that case! Make sure you bring your wallet because the drinks are kind of pricey. It is definitely a good place to hang out for a couple of hours during the day but it is the place to be on Sunday night. If you are looking for a hip daytime place on sunday, check out the raleigh hotel.

Comments