Aqua Hotel and Lounge

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Aqua Hotel and Lounge

Save Yourself .....Don't Stay at the Aqua

by TripAdvisor Member SCbeachtrip

All of the reviews that you read that say that this was the WORST hotel in the world are TRUE. I only spent about 10 minutes here. The room had a back door that led out to a sketchy alley and the door wouldn't lock. How scary is that? There is only 1 air conditioning unit for the WHOLE building. The floor is concrete, not tile as advertised. There is no pool and a super tiny hot tub. There is only 1 chair on the WHOLE sundeck not at all as advertised! I cancelled my reservations since the door wouldn't lock and I may have been KILLED, but was still charged 1 night penalty fee. To sum it up this place is a DUMP and I can't even figure out what Aqua hotel the very few people who gave it a good review were talking about because it couldn't have been this one.

Great yet noisy

I just recently stayed at the Aqua Hotel with my boyfriend Friday-Monday. Check in was at 4pm, but our flight arrived at 11am, we were very happy to hear that they could take us when we arrived at 11! I loved the feel of the hotel, very quaint and tropical. Only problem was the noise. The walls are quite thin.. so I hope you arent a light sleeper. The concrete floors are not what you might expect when someone says concrete. They are smooth and almost polished concrete and it helps to keep the room very cool in the very high heat of miami. Half the room is concrete floors and half of it is dark hardwood floors which are very nice. The staff was very helpful, and the maids were very friendly. Only thing is I wish there was a pool instead of a jacuzzi. I'd rather jump into a 70° pool than a 100°+ jacuzzi when its over 90° outside! Oh well, I would definitely stay there again!

It's a good deal for the price

I went to Miami for the Winter Music Conference in March 2004, when hotel prices jump in anticipation for the thousands of clubbers that fly down for this event. This was my 2nd year there and I had a better idea of what to expect from Miami hotels.

For those that are going to Miami for the first time, the rule of thumb is: you get what you paid for. There are NO BARGAINS in Miami. If you want to stay at the Delano/Shore Club, suck it up and pay to stay there. Don't complain that you wished you were there once you think you've scored a deal at a cheaper place. Otherwise, if you looking for a deal, realize you'll have to be more flexible and open-minded when choosing a place to stay in Miami.

That being said, the Aqua Hotel is a good deal comparatively speaking against other hotels in Miami in the SAME PRICE RANGE. Granted, it's not the nicest hotel you'll probably stay at, but for less than $150 a night in Miami, it's a more consistent and cleaner option than the others.

It's located right on Collins Ave + 15th St, so it's about a block away from the start of Ocean Drive. A quick taxi ride to any SoBE restaurants, clubs, bars and within walking distance to the beach. I recommend going to Joe's Stone Crabs.

The staff is very hospitable, and they will go out of their way to make sure you're taken care of. The front desk would call a taxi for us so it would be waiting when we left, they provided more towels when needed, and at the time were promoting a certain beverage so we were getting cocktails for free in the courtyard. In addition, you can leave your keys at the desk when you go out so you don't have to worry about losing it.

The rooms itself I do wish had the hardwood floors throughout, but it's only for half of the room. The rest is concrete - it's a smooth concrete and a lil chilly on the feet, but no one in my group had trouble with it since it was 90 outside. There's a little changing area right outside of the bathroom, which was nice for someone to get ready in while the other was showering. The beds are a bit small, but enough for 2 women to share. The rooms were cool throughout, but that wasn't too much trouble since we were all burned from laying on the beach. The shower worked fine, we had a bit of trouble flushing the toilets but eventually it worked.

Overall, I'd like to repeat - it's a good deal for Miami. I've stayed at a place down the street for the same price that was disgusting. Most places in Miami are cockroach motels. Aqua - you won't see bugs, it's cleaned thoroughly each day and the location is great. There's not much more you can get for the price.

Horrendous!

by TripAdvisor Member TheKatt

ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTING!!!filthy dirty, noise was so loud, that in 4 nites we had MAYBE 6 hours sleep. I have blown my nose in tissue thicker than the walls in this place. Room has concrete floors, a dirty snagged blanket for a bedspread, a cigarette burned rug on the floor, no battery in the clock ( it was stolen we were told), no bathrobes as the website said ( stolen also) no face clothes, no clean room glasses, no CD player., no ice buckets, and no ice machines, dirty hot tub, lying front staff, i think you get the picture...This is place should be sued for COMPLETE MISREPRESENTATION. It is NOTHING like the brochures or the website. It is disgusting, dirty and extremely noisy.WOULD NOT STAY THERE IF THEY HELD A GUN TO MY HEAD!!!!

Stylish and Courteous!

I stayed at the Aqua on 5/12-5/13, getting a fabulous internet rate of about $70 per night for staying 2 nights instead of one. The desk clerk was very friendly and upgraded my husband and I to a junior suite for free since we were on our honeymoom. The room was huge and, though the concrete floor is a little sketchy looking, the rooms was very clean and orderly and the back part of the room had a gorgeous burnished wood floor (which I hope will be extended to the rest of the room if/when the owner gets more money). The hotel courtyard is full of lush plants and there the jacuzzi was right outside our door! There is also a nice upper-level terrace where you can look out over Collins Ave and enjoy the cool evening breezes. At night, blue and red lights illuminate the interior courtyard and lobby area, giving it a unique and charming feel. The complimentary breakfast is generous, featuring several juices, fresh fruit, oatmeal, bread, bagels and croissants, much better than you'll find at neighboring hotels. Also, for valet users, I loved the fact that there's a little cul-de-sac in front of the hotel--for whatever reason, our rental car stayed there during the day and early evening, so we never had to wait for the valet and simply hopped right in our car right away. Overall, the hotel management has done a lot with this place, adding decorations and good service to what could otherwise be an uninspiring place. If you're looking for a unique, affordable, and well-kept hotel in the middle of south beach and are not offput by the concrete floors, I would highly recommend this boutique gem.

1 good thing....nothing else!! Awful place to stay

When we first walked into the room I almost had a heartattack... cement floors, no rug, bed skirts with holes in them, a bathtub and sink with rust stains...lets just say "not as advertised" We went down to the front desk guy to ask if this was a joke and he told us not to believe everything we saw on the internet. But doesn't Aqua have its own website and put up its own pictures?! this is ridiculous. Also, the rooms are freezing. I woke up shivering at night and looked for a thermostat only to find out from the front desk that one thermostat is used for all of the rooms!! I slept in my socks and sweatshirt... it was awful. Also, the shower hot/cold water was so inconsistent. I literally burned myself the water got so hot and then the next second i froze! The good about the place was the breakfast because they had cereal, toast, bagels, muffins, and fruit. And the location was great because we were 1 block away from the beach and crobar miami. However, we walked across the way to Loews hotel and wanted so bad to change our room to stay there instead, but the aqua wouldn't give us our money back!! Please, save yourself the stress and frustration and stay at the loews miami beach hotel across the street. it is beautiful. I couldn't wait to leave the dump and go back to my home sweet home. This place I think is worse than motel 6. I don't know how this hotel got rated 3 stars...then again in the case of the hotel, don't believe anything you see about this place on the internet. Stay somewhere else please. I read the other posts and didn't listen to them...I should have!!

Heaven for penny-pinchers

1st night when I arrived in SOBe I stayed at the Catalina (a dump). But what can you except for 50 dollars? So the 2nd night we made our way to the aqua lounge, it had funky decor, blue fishes, red wraparound couch and a surfboard for a check in desk. I loved that place!!! Cool courtyard w/ palm trees and florescent (sp) lights. The room had all white decor w/ a cd player , concrete and hardwood floors couch. I LOVED THAT PLACE! We got a great deal and a great hotel. THe staff was extremely friendly and made us feel at home.

Highly recommended for penny pinchers. If you can afford the LOEWS, than why not go there?

What a dump.

I got the Aqua at a really cheap rate per night so I wasn't expecting much. I got up to my room to find a plain room, all white, concrete floor and plastic furniture. That was all fine with me, since I was only using the room for showering and sleeping. Here is where my problem comes forth. I was in Miami during June, it was 85 with 100% humidity everyday and night. It felt like over 100, you couldn't wipe the sweat off fast enough. So come time for bed I want to be cool. You can't control the AC in your room. It was barely blowing out of the vent. When we asked them to raise it, they said no. So we had to sleep in sweat every night. If you like to sleep in sweat then this is the hotel for you.

Impressed

by TripAdvisor Member Nysali

The only word I can use to address my stay at the Aqua is just that...Impressed. I went to SOBE with a large group of friends (almost 13) and expected to have some issues with our hotel, but to our suprise from the moment we stepped into the Aqua our every need was catered to. The place was really nice. Not as beautiful as it looked on the website, but when is it ever? The decor was great. Clean, and well put together, esp. for a SOBE hotel. But it was the staff that stood out and made our trip outstanding. WHATEVER we needed, whether it was more towels (we used a lot- 13 girls), club reccomendations or even someone to help tie the neck of my dress they were there. Friendly, personable, down-to-earth and just plain enjoyable. I wanted to put them in my pocket and take them home. The maids were even pleasant. Not to mention the other people who were staying in the hotel where extremely friendly. By the end of the weekend we were all hanging out on the patio! The only thing I could complain about might be the concrete floors which could get cold at times and the fluctuating temperature of the shower. But the rooms were nice, the beds comfortable, clean and fresh smelling. Like I told them, I plan on going back again and I would recommend it to anyone!!

Don't waste your money!!!

Here it goes, I spent a long weekend at this Hotel and it was not one of my best experiences. I've stayed at many hotels in the US and abroad and I must say, this has been one of my worst ones. The rooms are large (junior suite), have a decent size bathroom (needs upgrade, no hair dryer), small closet (only one or two hangers), polished concrete floors (but who cares, they keep cool), cd player, hospital style TV (mounted so high on the wall that it gives you neck pain from looking up, by the way no cable channels), very unattractive and cheap furniture, unconfortable bed/mattress, poor lighting. The hotel itself is very unttractive and cheap looking. They have the worst/tacky decoration ever in the lobby and throughout the hotel (do not be fool by pictures) not to mention the indoor patio and dirty hot tub, it only looks better at night because its dark. There is no elevator, try not to stay on the second floor. The staff is ok, but very loud, they dont talk, but scream to each other to wake you up early in the morning (hardly had any sleep). Make sure you keep your money with you or locked up, some of my money was missing from room. This is the first time this happens to me from all the hotels I have stayed. Lounge?, what lounge. Dont be fool, there is no lounge, they dont even have a liqour license. Do not stay at this hotel, there are much better hotels in South Beach for the same or lower price tag

Comments