1701 James Ave., Miami Beach, Florida, 33139, United States
Booking.com Hotels.com Official Hotel

More about Cadet Hotel

An impecable charming boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Graziella5b

Looking for a romantic get away we found unexpectly the Cadet Hotel a block from the beach and near exciting Lincoln Road.
We loved the fact that Clark Gable himself stayed there during the 1940'.

Our room was decorated in a minimalistic style, wooden floors,
with a mini bar with reasonable prices.The bathroom was impecable and the shower had two different heads, one of those wider ones and a regular one.
We were pleasantly surprised with complimentary wine and canapes in the charming dowstairs bar.
Breakfast was $8 dollars , served in the garden. I had delicious fresh squeeze orange, coffee and the West Point: a Napoleon of tomato, ham, swiss cheese,scramble eggs and toast. It was sunny and incredibly quite which I believe is a plus in noisy South Beach.
There is a feeling of an up scale bed and breakfast with the privacy and
services of a hotel.
We live in Miami and sometimes we like to make believe we are traveling to some exciting destination, the Hotel Cadet turn out to be the perfect place.

Hidden gem!!

Absolutely FANTASTIC. What a true hidden gem. My friends stayed up the street at a pricier hotel and were jealous at the attention and service of the staff at this hotel. They even sent me a thank you note for my stay!
I will definitely be back! Thank you for making my stay the best yet!!

Clean, Cozy, and just OK

The Cadet is a no-frills, clean, cozy hotel that is a good value for the money. Lincoln Road and the beach are in walking distance. The money you save on the room rate is great so you can spend the excess on drinks at the pricier hotels along Collins. We did have an interesting experience where one of the housekeepers of the hotel threw out our Club Monaco bag because she thought it was empty. (Later, she dug through the trash to salvage our now fish smelling shirt.) All and all, the hotel was O.K.

European-style, good value

by TripAdvisor Member BayBoyHDG

After reading other reviews on this site, I booked my reservation through Orbitz and got a rate of $79 a night. I went to South Beach to work for the Kerry campaign and not vacation so I didn't need much in terms of accomodation. This hotel was close to the campaign HQ on Lincoln Rd and only a couple blocks from the beach (not that I got to enjoy it!).

Overall, I was pleased and would recommend the Cadet - with some caveats. If you're looking for resort accomodations - look elsewhere. This hotel reminded me very much of what you typically find in European cities. The outside is nondescript but the inside has been recently remodeled - think Restoration Hardware meets Ikea. Sounds odd but it works.

When you book through Orbitz or the hotel site you are given a choice of renovated or unrenovated room. I went with unrenovated because I didn't plan to spend much time there and was trying to economize. The first two nights were fine but I discovered a strong odor on the third night and the front desk person moved me to a renovated room across the hall with no questions. This room had no view other than a brick wall but was brighter and a bit roomier. The bath had new fixtures and tile. These rooms go for around $100 a night I was told. A better choice if you are sharing with someone. They also showed me their larger rooms which be nice for a longer stay.

Breakfast was included in my rate. Otherwise, they charge $8 pp. You have 4 options: bagel w/ egg, turkey and sliced tomatoes; waffles; cereal; and assorted pastries with yogurt. Otherwise, there is a Cuban restaurant open 24hrs around the corner that has a $5.75 special and other options a few more blocks away.

The staff was quite friendly and accomodating.

FInal Words: If you are looking for a relatively quiet place just to sleep and plan on spending most of your time on the beach or shopping this place is perfect. The renovated rooms offer more style than most of the chains and you won't be overrun with screaming kids or tacky tourists.

Caveats:

There is limited parking and they charge $10/day. Otherwise, expect to pay $15-20.

Each room has it's own A/C unit. Given the tropical climate, expect to run these units all night. If you are a light sleeper - this could be annoying.

Misleading photos!!!

After reviewing the website I thought this would be the most beautiful place. Even walking into the lobby I thought it looked nice. When they brought me to my room.......absolutely disgusting. The carpet was moldy, the sheets looked used, and there was a hair on the pillow of my bed. I asked them if they were sure this was my room, they said yes. The room looked nothing like the website. The pictures showed beautiful wood floors with modern furniture. Well, they gave me a room the size of a closet with torn curtains, old furniture and a really old air conditioning unit that was extremely loud. My friend that visited my hotel room kept sneezing because the air blowing from the air conditioning unit was circulating the mold and dust. I agree the website has beautiful pictures and some of the rooms may be nice... I guess I just got one of the bad ones. Overall Rating - BELOW AVERAGE/MISLEADING/DISGUSTING!

Room nothing like the photos!

I was so excited about the possiblity of finally finding a great little boutique hotel in the southbeach area that didn't cost an arm and a leg but provided a great place to stay. After reading all the reviews on tripadvisor about the Cadet we were sure this was the one. We booked online which was very simple, received a confirmation right away and even a welcome e-mail. I called the day before to check on the amenities and to ask if they had a safe in the room and a hairdryer. They politely answered yes. When we arrived the next day, we entered the lobby and thought we had probably hit jackpot on what we were looking for. Check-in was smooth, they gave us a complimentary breakfast card and all seemed right until we got to our room. Room 101. What a disaster! Old carpet, beat up furniture, a tv that hardly worked and an air-conditioner that looked ancient. The room was tiny(two people could not pass each other) and the bedspread had seen much better days. The bathroom was horrible . . . mold on the ceiling, old tub, old sink and a toliet that was something you would find in an old grungy bar. I went back to the front desk to ask if there was another room but they were full. The front desk person was very nice and recommended I try back in the morning. We decided to deal with our adventure and go out for dinner. We wanted to take a shower before we went but when I discovered no hairdryer in the room I went back to the front desk to ask for one, but once again they were "all out". Also, when we asked about a safe in the room, we were informed that Room 101 did not have one. Although we asked each day, no other rooms were ever available and we made the best of it by spending as little time in the room as necessary. The pillows were so thin anyway that sleeping wasn't exactly all that easy. Also, being the first room off the lobby, you could hear everything going on and breakfast being set up each morning so sleeping late really wasn't an option. While we checked-out, my husband snooped around and saw one of the other "renovated" rooms being cleaned. No doubt, the future of the hotel looks promising but until it is completely renovated they should take the old rooms off the market because they leave a sour taste in one's mouth on what else the hotel has to offer. I'm not sure we'll give it another chance, we'll have to see what else is available in town the next time we visit, but in the meantime if you do decide to stay -- make sure you ask for a renovated room and never Room 101. Last parting shot -- looking at our bill, we were charged $10 for an in-room safe that didn't exist.

Pros/Cons

I went during my Christmas break with my b/f and stayed Dec 18- Dec 22. When we first arrived, the lobby was just as pictured. I was hopeful that my room would look like the one from the website photos, but I was disappointed. For $79 nite, we got an unrenovated room. I've heard all the hotels in South Beach have small rooms, so I didn't expect too much anyways. But the room basically only fit the bed, a small desk, and a tv stand. There was no walking room. Everything about the room seemed old and dirty. I looked closer at the bed, and I saw small little bugs crawling on it. There were also some of these little white bugs on the nightstand next to the bed. I was disgusted, but decided to suck it up and not complain. But the next night, after discovering little red ants in our bathroom on the towels and on the floor, I went down to complain and within 10mins they changed us to a renovated room. Much Better!! The room was exactly as pictures, with Egyptian cotton sheets and a down comforter and wooden floors. But again, I was disappointed by the bug situation. There were still little red bugs on our towels and I found a bug in our bed. But after shaking it down, I guess it was ok to sleep in. I also found an ant trap behind the tv stand, so they must know about their problem.

Breakfast was included in our room rate, and it was delicious. It doesn't seem like much to eat, but at least it is filling. If it is not included, then there is an $8 charge per person, so make sure you ask for complimentary breakfast!

The workers were extremely nice and helpful. Checkout is at 12, but our flight wasn't until 3pm- so they let us leave our luggages in a room near the lobby while we finished some last minute shopping.

If I visit next time, I think I would pay a little more and stay at another hotel on the beach, like the Loews. But if you want to save money and just looking for a place to sleep in, this hotel is not bad at all. I'm sure this is one of the best out of all the hotels in the area.

Comfortable, but only after the problems!

by TripAdvisor Member razzzbere

We booked the Cadet thru Expedia for 2 nites before our cruise last weekend. I confirmed our room beforehand and was told that it was a non-refurbished room and breakfast was included. I was a little scared about getting an old room but decided it couldn't be that bad. Well when we arrived at 10pm on a Saturday nite we were told that all they had for us was a room with one twin bed in it....so basically they gave away our room! I was not too happy as it had taken us over 9 hrs. to finally get there and we were exhausted. After a few words we were sent by taxi to another hotel for one nite and were told to come back to the Cadet after 2 the next day. Slightly inconvenient but we were too tired to argue anymore. When we arrived back at the Cadet the next afternoon they knew who we were and we were glad not to have to explain ourselves again. Because of their mistake they gave us a nice renovated room. The room was a really nice size with a full bathroom and a king sized bed. Even the closet was big. The room looked exactly like the one pictured on their website. This room felt very homey, like you were staying in someones guest room. The only thing that needed improvement was the towels...larger and fluffier would have been better. Breakfast the next morning was very basic, coffe, fake oj and croissants with butter and jam. No fruit...too bad. We were charged $8 each for breakfast...which we thought was included...what a ripoff, we could have gone down to Lincoln Rd. and had a great breakfast..oh well. I mentioned the charge at checkout and was told that they had made a mistake telling me it was free...at that point I didn't feel like arguing so off we went to our cruise. Hopefully they will fix up all of the rooms in the hotel and maybe even install an elevator...or atleast get someone to help with bags....and figure out the breakfast deal. All in all the hotel was nice and I would stay there again...but only in a renovated room! So make sure before you go that you ask questions first...you don't want any surprises!

Good find................

Stayed at the Cadet Jan 18/05. We used this site to pick out hotels and in turn are posting our experience.

Hotel was just outside of the SoBe Art Deco district, but still walkable. The beach is a short walk away. We stayed in a Queen renovated room, it was clean and as described. Room was on the small side, but the hotel was very quaint and was once the home to Clark Gable and the West Point Cadets.

Parking through hotel was an additional $22, you can get it direct from the same parking lot (1/2 block south) for a few bucks less.

Continental breakfast was good, and the patio is very nice.

Overall a good experience, would stay here again.

Cons: Thin walls, loud AC.

Nice but not so great.

by TripAdvisor Member coffeebeans101

Booked a room based on the website that has a nice sized creatively photographed room showcased. The rate wasn’t bad 148.00 as the location is one block to Jackie Gleason, Lincoln Road and two from the Delano or the beach and the fact that they offer parking on site (22.00). What was bad was the fact that I booked a king and got to doubles. Yes the place is painted and the common areas are well appointed but the rooms are small with beat on old furniture. They seem to have few kings so you might not get one. The bed wasn’t all that nor was the closet door closed automatically nor the fact that there was a timer on the closet light. The window coverings were poor and so were the sheets. The bathroom tinny and one of the new windows not from the Deco era was permanently slightly cracked open for no good reason. The ac was an old small wall mounted deal. The staff was attentive and kind and I was on a one-night visit with my girl so we made the best of it but I won’t bother staying at the Cadet again. The Albion can be had for less but spending more and staying at a nicer place might just pay

CAN YOU TELL ME???

by ROMEOJULIET

I have a tentative reservation at Hotel St. Augustine on Washington Street,

I may cancel and switch to one of the following:

President Hotel - Collins
Comfort Inn & Suites - Collins
Cadet Hotel - James Ave

Which of these three might be a great choice?? I think Hotel St. Augustine may be way out of the way ...

Keep in mind we are in our 40's ...

thanks.

RE: CAN YOU TELL ME???

by Downtick

st. ausustine is on 3rd and washington, it's in the beginning of south beach. I would stay at comfort inn on 12/collins. That is a good location, not far from anything at all. 10th st I would say is in the middle of everything, so 12 is not bad at all, but 3/washington, you will be taking taxis unless you go out to the places down there like Nikki Beach, Prive and Opiium, as far as clubs any way.

Comments