3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

Cool South Beach Hotel

After reading lots of differing reviews about hotels in south beach we were so happily surprised with our stay here. The hotel actually owns two buildings and the room we got was next door to the one that says catalina on it., I think this makes a difference because we had a quiet room, and for our one night stay they upraded us. We had booked directly with them.

Unique Quality: They have a free happy hour every day betw 7-8pm!.. And a rooftop pool!

Directions: collins and 17th st

• bliss7's Profile Photo

Wow - what a cool hotel!

The Hotel Catalina was the coolest hotel I've ever stayed in, no contest! The design is a late art-deco: red, chrome, and white. It has the most interesting lobby I've ever seen! The rooms are simple, beautiful, clean, and comfortable. They have CD players and flat screen TVs, not to mention the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in.

The hotel restaurant, the "Spy Lounge," has some delicious food - I thoroughly enjoyed the mozzarella and serrano ham (prosciutto) sandwich. The lounge area is super comfortable, and leads out into the pool, where you can also have dinner. The pool area has insanely comfortable chaise lounges and enticing canopy beds. The restaurant DJ has great musical taste, and the bar makes a mean mojito!

Unique Quality: As I've said, these are the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. EVER. And the staff keeps the rooms spotless - they must, since everything in the rooms are white... no places to hide dirt or undesirable stains on the bed. The windows actually OPEN (unlike many hotels) and if you're lucky you can get a view of the pool area, where there is plenty of opportunity for some good people-watching. :)

The outside "patio" is also a great place to enjoy a café cubano and a smoke while watching locals and tourists walk up and down Collins Ave, on their way to whatever they're up to.

Directions: On Collins Ave, between 17th and 18th. One block from the beach, and right down the street from the world-famous Delano.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

It's ok...

We booked this hotel in 2000 primarly because it was on of the least expensive one near the Art deco district.

We had to check in at the next door hotel because the hotel itself didn't have a registration.

Unique Quality: The hotel itself has very limited paid parking spaces (less then 10 cars). We parked our car around the corner on a public parking spot for $10,00 per night (no in and out allowed).

This year we noticed they where renovating Maxine, so i guess the hotel will be more expensive when it reopens....

Just check the website if you want to know when it reopens...

Picture taken december 7, 2004

More about Catalina Hotel & Beach Club

Catalina Hotel - liars & cheats

by TripAdvisor Member SunWarrior

We had confirmed reservations at the Catalina Hotel in South Beach Miami, Florida. I called 1 day before arrival and verified the confirmation with On-Line Hotels. Needless to say, the Catalina Hotel wasn't even open for business. After much running around and negotiations, the Catalina manaement agreeed to pay us via money order for $27 which was our parking expense and increased rate at another hotel, and On-Line Hotels agreed to refund my service fee of $8.95....WELL....After mega calls to both, I still haven't gotten a penny or a callback to my calls since this so called agreement they thought would shut me up. On-Line Hotels and The Catalina Hotel are nothing by LIARS & CHEATS!!!!!

Such a disapointment

by TripAdvisor Member dan1van

Was really looking forward to my weekend at the catalina but was disappointed at the first moment. No valet parking despite being advertised (apparently you have to pre-book). Gave me the wrong room three times (they all had double beds when I asked for a twin room) and couldnt give me the pool view room I requested. Very bad a/c system that left my room freezing cold all night and made a terrible noise - you couldn't even switch it off. Complained in the morning but the reception staff were very unreceptive. Plently of better hotels in Miami for the same money, including the Shelbourne where I went afterwards.

Good now but it's going to be Great!

I stayed at the Catalina from May 6th-9th. My friends and I had a wonderful time. We loved the pool it was very relaxing. You must meet Ariel (the guy at the Pool). This guy is the hardest working man in America. He makes you feel like a queen while your at the Pool. I hope the Management at the Catalina acknowledge him for a job well done. I was very satisfied with all of my request from the front desk, anything I needed for ice to extra towels I got in record time. As for the decor, it was a little like Ikea furniture, which is ok if you like that sort of thing. The bathroom was small yet sexy.... The best thing about the room was the bed... when I got back home my bed felt like crap. Now I know I really do need a new mattress.

Finally All I can say is I can't wait to see the Catalina when it's fully up and running.

OH Yeah! You can't beat the free stuff. The hot dogs and hamburgers by the pool, Happy Hour 7-8, and the free shuttle. Especially when you know how expensive MIA is.

Don't do it!!!

by TripAdvisor Member diane77

If you are over the age of 21, you will not enjoy your stay at this hotel. The only redeeming quality about this place is that it was clean. For starters, when I called the hotel, I was told by the staff that this hotel is on the beach. It certainly was not. It was across the highway from the beach, and after crossing the highway, you still had to walk a long block past the true ocean front hotels to get to the water. The rooms were very tiny – you couldn’t fit anything other than the 2 double beds that were in the room. The bathrooms did not have any of the normal amenities – no towel racks, no toilet paper holders etc. If you want to go to sleep before 1:00 a.m. forget it!! They play loud music in the lobby which can be heard in most of the rooms, since the hotel is only 2 stories.

If the price was cheap, then I could at least understand some of this, but it wasn’t – it was the same as some of the nicer hotels in South Beach. Most of the clientele was in their early 20’s, so some of this stuff doesn’t matter when you’re young, but if you are an adult visiting South Beach, you do not want to stay here.

YOU CAN'T LOSE!

What an unbelievable deal for an unbelievable price - this hotel has so many extras you will enjoy your time in South Beah that much more! Complimentary beach chairs (typically $15USD/EA) plus cocktail hour every day and the place is hip and happening with lots of amazing 'views' going in and out of the door! Did not dissappoint at all - well worth it and I would not hesitate to recommend it and will definitely stay there when I return to SoBe!

Bait & Switch - Stay Somewhere Else

All my negative experiences:
- No 'free airport shuttle' ever showed up, had to pay for a cab.
- I was placed in a smaller room than I reserved. When I complained, I was not offered a correction nor an upgrade nor a discount of my bill. I checked out the next morning and cancelled 2 additional nights.
- Their air-conditioning is central, beware - you cannot control the temp in your room. If you want it cool, forget this hotel.
- The rooms are dorm-size. Absurdly small. No room to put bags, no shelves or hooks in a very small bathroom.
- The television is placed flush to the 10' ceiling, inset in the wall, in the corner of the room. A real joke.
- The music in the lobby is loud and thumping all day and night.
- The staff is defensive and unaccommodating. That must come from all the confrontations they have daily with unsatisfied guests.
- The 'free breakfast' is juice, coffee, croissants, cereal and fruit.
- Although my confrontation with the front desk ended in my cancellation being refunded - it took 45 minutes of unnecessary argument.
Bottom Line - for the same money, better hotels are all over Miami Beach.
This hotel and its staff have zero class. Stay somewhere else.
My positive experiences:
- I checked out and never looked back.
- The general location is right.

Catalina Beach Resort Miami Beach

by Camatres

Hello
does anybody know the Hotel Catalina on Collins Ave. in Miami Beach.
Any recommendations or informations, because we will have there a room next week february 18th 2004.
Thanks

manuela

Re: Catalina Beach Resort Miami Beach

by jackfruit

Collins Ave is one block north of the beach, right opposite the Delano. It's kind of north of the main south beach strip, but walkable. I didnt walk into the lobby, but the hotel didnt look too good. Here's some feedback about this hotel from tripadvisor (doesnt sound too good there either!)

We stayed at Lily Leon Hotel when we were there a few weeks ago. Extremely happy with the place and highly recomend it. If you can change your acco plans, i would.

Re: Re: Catalina Beach Resort Miami Beach

by jackfruit

I meant to say that the Catalina Hotel is north of the main south beach strip ( News Cafe, Mango's, Art Deco center, etc etc) - about 10 blocks away.
Although the hotel is closer to shopping like Espanola Way and Lincoln Rd shopping...

Comments