Chelsea Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Boomscat's Profile Photo

Not too bad for spartan accomadations

The hotel is about 2.5 blocks from the beach. Not too far and not too close. The big plus is that it is relatively quiet. There are a few night clubs nearby on Washington Ave. but you can't really hear anything. This is an art deco hotel so there aren't any balconies. The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. The corridors, however, are on the dark and dingy side. All the amenities are pretty basic. I wish they had a few more shelves in the bathroom. As in many other SOBE hotels, there is a resort charge for beach towels and cocktail hour regardless of whether you use it or not. Be sure to wake up early if you want to get breakfast as all the good stuff is gone very quickly. In front of the hotel there is a small sitting area which is nice. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to the MIA Airport, although it departs from a different hotel that belongs to the same chain as Chelsea and is about a block away .

More about Chelsea Hotel

What a cool, cool hotel!

What can I say? We were able to secure $85 per night on Priceline for our 4-day stay at the Chelsea. During SoBe's high time (February) this was a really great deal!I would have to say that after my experience at the Chelsea, the 'negative' comments are from people that have never stayed at a quaint, European-style Art Deco hotel. Yes, even the rooms at the famed Delano are small people...these hotels were built during a completely different generation and people did not need as many 'accesories' as we seem to now.The bathrooms are wonderful and are not 'fake' slate at someone commented earlier, but the real deal. The housekeeping staff cleaned our rooms very, very well. I am most picky about bathroom cleanliness and have even demanded to be moved to a new room at five star hotels if the bathrooms were not clean enough. This was not the case at the Chelsea. The beds are extremely comfortable.
The feather pillows and down comforters were a welcome surprise!The staff was just completely fabulous. We had free drinks every night at the bar and really got to know Darrel, Candy, Jamie, Stephanie, Carlos and Big Juan well. They made sure we were taken care of and made us feel more like part of a family than just hotel guests. They were all very genuine and not the 'fake' stereotype that people normally use when describing people from SoBe.The hotel is near everything. We were able to walk to Lincoln Road shopping and dining, no problem. The beach is just a hop, skip and jump away. Lee Ann drugs is directly across the street we quoined SoBe's 'little WalMart.' They had everything you'd ever need and filled up on our basic beach supplies there on a daily basis.My advice to people is to definitely stay here if you like smaller, quaint, historic boutique hotels. If you go to bed at 8:30 pm and normally stay at 'chain' hotels, then it won't be for you. Do yourself a favor and stay at the big hotel in North Miami Beach...SoBe probably just isn't your bag to begin with.

Horrible Value - Extremely below average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member thrllkll

I have to say the favorable reviews posted here have to be plants from the Hotel Chelsea's management group as there is no way you can stay there and give this property any more than two stars. The posts referring to "breakfast" and "room service" are obviously false as there is no operating restaurant (as of 2/04) and the "breakfast" was untoasted bread and orange juice!The "luxury suite" I reserved was just a basic, smaller than average room with one window that could not be seen out of because it was so high. Even though I had reserved my room directly thru the hotel's parent web site ---, they still had my reservation incorrect and overcharged me - a matter that still has not been resolved 3 weeks later after emails and phone calls.Beware the airport shuttle. No troubles getting picked up at the airport except that it was 15 minutes late (understandable with the traffic), but if you plan on using the shuttle to get back to the airport you can only get picked up at the Chesterfield which is a block and a half away so you'll be toting your luggage. The 5pm shuttle I was reserved on never showed up and the front desk at the Chesterfield was clueless as to their whereabouts. After waiting for 90 minutes at the Chesterfield, the next shuttle did get us back to the airport. The location is nice for the Hotel Chelsea, but that can be said of just about any hotel in South Beach and there are much better values available. Basically, don't even consider staying here unless it has the last room and town and their willing to give it to you for about $20.

great value

my boyfriend flew down from NYC and we drove down from tampa for a cozy extended weekend in the sun in december. i booked online and was apprehensive in making my choice through the internet (reviews saying its dark, small and dirty). partially true but exagerated. the hallways do have almost no light, no view and the rooms are small but this is south beach! every hotel has small rooms and it was the perfect size for us. the beds were amazingly comfortable, with down blankets and pillows! all rooms are stocked with minibar, stereo, mini fridge, wine glasses and the coolest part is the ALL SLATE asian bathroom. the walls, floor and shower is all slate with a raised sink. beautiful!!
room was always clean and the staff was very very helpful in giving us vip passes to the clubs and helping us any way they could. they even moved our room to the 3rd floor (originally on the first) which i recommend. free cocktail hour, not exciting drinks but its free. great location and i didnt hear any other guests or loud noise during my stay. if you are looking for a total package and on a budget this a great hotel for couples and singles. not luxury, but clean, comfortable and stylish. only other downside would be that the room only had one mirror in the bathroom so it was cramped getting ready to go out. i would stay at the chelsea again

Shabby but Clean

The rooms are very nice and very clean; the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The staff was polite and helpful, too. The hallways are so dark you feel like you're in a tunnel, though! If you plan on spending more time out of your hotel than in it, this is the place for you!
Terrific location. It is noisy, cramped and shabby but if you're looking for value it's a good place to stay.

Chelsea Hotel.

All of the bad reviews are accurate...BUT...it's a matter of tolerance.
I wouldn't say it's a terrible place, but , for the money, I wouldn't stay there again. The dark halls, small rooms, etc. were not unique to the Chelsea. We looked at several of the "Deco" hotels and they all appeared to have the same look. Small with dark halls. The Chelsea front desk staff was very good. When our Air Cond. died, they had someone in the room within a few minutes of notification and they had us a new room before we knew it. The Astor hotel next door was the source of a LOT of noise (parties) but if you got a room on the 3rd floor away fomr the Astor side (Rooms 314-317) you couldn't hear it.
The bar staff in the lobby was pitiful. We waited for service while she talked to friends....We had to order drinks while she talked on the cell phone...and many times she wasn't even at the bar. The rooms and Lobby do look exactly like the web-page pictures....although I began to think that "Fengshui" was japanese for "Lot's of things to trip over" The bathrooms are.....well....you've got to see them. Overall, the Hotel is in a GREAT location...but they charge too much for what is there. The facilities are exactly what you should expect from an old, 70-80 year old building.

Chelsea review

The front desk and housekeeping staff at the hotel are friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. The person at the bar the days we were there was inattentive, and seemingly uncaring about the fact that we may want to be waited on.

This hotel should not be rated as a 3-star accommodation, but it does have a great lobby, a nice outdoor seating area, and basically good staff.

Our room A/C went out the first night we were there, so we had to move to another room. We did not get queen size beds as we were told we would when we made reservations; we got full-size, but the beds were very comfortable, and we slept well. I liked the bathroom, but did wish for a dresser or at least shelves of some kind to put clothing on so I wouldn't have to live out of my suitcase.

Don't expect 5-star accommodations from these older hotels. They were built to withstand the test of heavy weather and a lot of heat, and they do that, but are in most cases not renovated to be 5-star Hiltons.

I enjoyed SoBe, and will be back again sometime.

The Chelsea, South Beach

If your trip to South Beach is all about being out and about, and spending as little time as possible in your hotel room, than perhaps the Chelsea is for you. Fortunately, I only intended on using the room for freshenig up and sleeping, so I was not so much as bothered, as I was dissapointed in the dark, dank hallways and mundane lobby area. The room I stayed in was nicely appointed and generally clean, and the same can pretty much be said for most of the hotel. The front garden area and lounge is fairly nice and the hotel itself is conveniently located to much of South Beach's nightlife and entertainment - B.E.D is directly across the street and the beach is a short walk away. The staff is nice as well. Perhaps I had pretty high expectations since I stayed at the Shore Club during my first trip to South Beach, but overall, I found the Chelsea to be somewhat dissapointing, even with the knowledge that it was not a top of the line hotel. Not the worst, but definitely not the best.

Good Service, Decent hotel

The people here are really nice and really helpful! Our concierge was the best! He was able to locate us to the best places to go and even put us on the VIP list to the clubs. The hotel is very cute, and the beds are so comfortable! It's not the nicest hotel I've been to in Miami, but I think its worth the price considering how close it is to everything. I didn't like how the halls were all dark.

Great Location

I went last summer and had an excellent time in Miami. I liked how the room was decorated, but it was small. If you're in Miami you should only use the room to change clothes and maybe get some sleep, so it didn't bother me too much. I like the fact that they had complimentary happy hour and it was in a great location. BED was across the street and the beach was a couple of blocks away. Don't have expectations of a 5-4 star hotel here.

Comments