De Soleil South Beach

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

1458 Ocean Drive, (formerly Vincci South Beach), Miami Beach, Florida, 33139, United States
Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
IHG Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about De Soleil South Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Niassa

I'm writitng this from the hotel using their super-dooper entertainment system with internet services. I can fully subscribe to the previous review. What I'd like to add is only a piece of advice not to bother selecting room with ocean view because you will end up seeing a thin stripe of water over the roof tops somewhere in the distance (because the hotel is located not on the beach but on the second line across the road behind a tall residential building). In our case the window with ocean view is right behind the bed, so even if it were decently good, we wouldn't be able to enjoy it much.
But if we didn't book ocean view, we ight have ended up in a room facing an empty lot next to the hotel and the road behind it. Even the hotel staff admit that the hotel location is somewhat of a drawback preventing them from receiving 5* rating.
Also IMHO the pool is small and unimpressive rather then cosy . I was not temped to have even one dip in it. But apparently who needs a pool when they are 200 meters away from the ocean. But in any other location I'd be disappointed with such a pool.
PS We were told by independent tour giude that this hotel is liked by Jim Ca
rey. :)

Awful,,,,just awful!

by TripAdvisor Member freqbiz

Frequent business traveler, so I know the range of service to expect with different hotel classes. This was without a doubt my worst experience in years!! And at $250 a night!! A few comments...

Don't believe the pictures, they are totally deceptive. This place is pretty far from the beach and there's a high rise across the street.

Requsted a pool view room, they gave me a "vacant lot" view room next to a noisy elevator shaft.

Asked to be moved, so they put me in a handicapped room (nothing against the handicapped) where the furniture was all scratched and chipped. The floors were dirty.

I like to run in the eve after a hard day's work, then take a dip in the pool. They close the pool at sundown.

The clocks in my room were off by several hours, so if I'd relied on them to wake up I would have been late for my meetings.

BUT, the worst of it is that the air conditioning in my room didn't work. Bad door sensor. When I called the front desk to complain, there wasn't anybody there. I walked down to the lobby, went into the back room/office and found two people playing on the computer. They finally found the manager around 11:30. Attempting to get the AC fixed was an all night ordeal and I never was successful in getting the temp in my room below 85. Didn't sleep much.

They offered no compensation.

The final straw.... they tacked on nearly $30 in mini bar charges when I never even opened the darn thing. It wasn't with my original bill, only caught it when I requested an new copy to do my expense report.

I know South Beach is layed back, but this was just a horrible hotel, and if I were you I would avoid it. There a lots of other great places to stay in the neighborhood.

just dont bother!not worth it!

by TripAdvisor Member anotherholidayplease

Thought we would go all out for our short stay in miami, spent $316 for the first night and $340 for the next two,all plus tax. Complete waste. Got the spa sizzler offer so had hot tub on our balcony, was nice but was dirty, balcony was much smaller than shown in pictures. No atmosphere in the hotel at all,all staff except receptionist are very rude and stuck up, wont even say hello, got filthy looks. everything was overpriced, breakfast was $40 for two ppl, luckily was included in our price but isnt always!and that was just for pancakes!bottle of water was nearly $6, all snacks cost a bomb, the air cond machine was huge and very loud. Cleaning services were literally just make the bed, towls were not moved or shampoos replenished etc. My recommendation is the lowes hotel down the road,was right on the beach,just walking past it made me jealous,was waiters serving poolside cocktails, a good atmosphere and right on the beach. that was another thing for the regent,was not on the beach as described and also at least a ten min walk to bars,restaurants etc. (doesnt sound a lot but in the heat its tough if you aint used to it) defo not going to the regent again!!!!waste of money!

Nice Rooms...Too bad about the rest

by TripAdvisor Member YYCworldtraveler

My partner and I stayed for one night on what we was their last night operating under the Regent name. I chose this hotel because I liked the style of the rooms and reputation of the Regent brand. In no way, shape or form does this hotel measure up to the service standard I would expect from The Regent...no wonder they are no longer managing it.

When we arrived. there was no valet to park the car(valet parking only)...a restaurant staff member tried and failed to reached the valet by phone. We were never offered assistance with our luggage. We requested a pool view room and were given a room overlooking the back street. The room itself was cetainly very styish and has an amazing 5-6 spray shower. Other than the AC being a little loud we suitably impressed by the room. Breakfast the next morning was not good at all. There were only 3 tables when we were there...2 couples outside and us inside. The outside diners came in repeatedly to ask for service and find out why things were taking so long. Our own breakfast took over 30 minutes to appear after ordering and everything was cold. Not good enought for a 4-5 star hotel.

After breakfast I want to the front desk to let them know how underwhelmed we were with breakfast and that had it not been included in the rate we would have likely left and gone somewhere else. The hotel offered to comp our parking ($32) as an apology, which we accepted. Of course after check-out they slapped a $32 valet parking charge on my credit card and it has taken 3 phone calls to them to get the charge reversed.

Overall...this place has some very nice rooms and suites which are of 5* calibre, but certainly does not have the service to match.

The Vincci is great!

by TripAdvisor Member fivestarChicago

This place is now run by Vincci hotels and they are doing a great job. Stayed in a penthouse suite which was fantastic, no one has rooms like this anywhere. You get about 1100 square feet on the rooftop with wet bar, hot tub, room service, lounges. Truly a great experience. Service is fantastic. I stayed when it was the Regent and this far surpasses the service then.

The service is terrible

by TripAdvisor Member sexxeebrown1

My boyfriend and I were trying to make reservations to stay there Columbus wknd. Everytime we called, we were transferred over to reservations to get an answering machine. The answering machine said they were open until 6 pm. We called back a couple of times and was told that reservations was closed. Again we called and spoke to Joshua, he said he could make the reservations, we told him ok we will call back. When we finally called back, a girl answered and we told her we would like to speak to Joshua to reserve. She transferred us and we got the answering machine. We didn't stay there, we booked the hotel victor.

Great hotel, service so-so

by TripAdvisor Member poopie22

I loved the rooms. All the rooms are 500 sq ft Art Deco-style suites with a couch-bed. Stayed in the spa suite with a 200 sq ft balcony and Jacuzzi. It faced the street but there was no noise.

The staff was friendly and helpful, but seemed disorganized and inexperienced. For Internet, I logged onto WIFI with the guest name and room, which only lasted for a day. I called the next day to see if I had to pay for the second day. They sent someone up to deliver instructions and said I had to login with the instructions. But I was able to login again without the instructions, using guest name and room. Why do things the hard way?

I asked them to clean the balcony Jacuzzi, but they filled it up without cleaning it and the water was dirty. I had to call someone back to drain it because they had to use a stick to unplug the stopper. The next day, the Jacuzzi was drained but still dirty. Had to call housekeeping again.

The sofa bed was pulled out one night when I returned, when I didn't even request it pulled out. The next night, housekeeping came to pull out the couch again, even though I never requested it.

Room service is great, food from the Table 8 restaurant below.

I'm still giving it 3 stars because I liked the rooms, but think that the staff needs coordinated training. However, the housekeepers, bellhops, and front desk were all helpful, though at times information was conflicted and seemed more difficult than it had to be.

Nicest hotel I've ever stayed at!

by TripAdvisor Member moose-ca

This is by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at from the point of the room itself. I stayed here for 2 nights before moving down the street to the Loews for a conference I was attending. From the two plasma TVs to the BOSE sound system, to the fully stocked bar, to the balcony overlooking the pool, to the massager shower, to the comfortable bed - this hotel was completely 5 star in my mind!

Since tropical storm Noel arrived when I did, I never did get to use the pool, but it looked nice! This hotel is conveniently located on the main strip, and backs onto Ocean Drive which is a great Art Deco hotel and restaurant strip.

I had to deal with the staff over the phone prior to my stay due to an error on my part with the booking, and they were completely helpful. It was nice to not have to deal with a central call-centre somewhere in the middle of nowhere!

If you are looking for a nice upscale hotel - check this one out!

Bad Experience

by TripAdvisor Member BloomingTraveler

We stayed here for two nights the weekend following Thanksgiving. We were welcomed to our room with a bottle of champagne and some strawberries - they had been sitting there all day so the champagne was warm and the strawberries were tired - no much of a welcome. I took a risk with this hotel and I lost. My boyfriend and I choose the "penthouse". First of all our retractable awning wasn't - retractable, that is. We were offered a laugh and a bottle of wine with our complaint. We never found the sound system that they say is included in the balcony area, the light bulb was burnt out and the stomper was missing in the hot tub. Our friends were in another room where the AC wasn't working - it took two visits for the staff to get it going - the evening before we left. We all had trouble with the card keys.

Gorgeous party pad

by TripAdvisor Member tashy1019

My husband, my friend and I stayed at a penthouse at this hotel for Thanksgiving night and the following night as well. We really had a lovely time at the hotel. My husband didn't leave it all of Friday, he was enjoying himself so much sunning himself on our private roof top space and reading a book.

I find it odd reading all these reviews -- I guess when I see 5 star hotel I just think "nice," not "the staff will prostrate themselves before me as my slave," but honestly, I thought service was fantastic. Our butlers were so nice to us, did errands, got us pizza at 1 AM when there was no delivery, showed us how to use everything, cleaned our hot tub -- the water gets dirty every time you fill it (after a while), it's not a maintenance problem, it's a MIAMI problem with air pollution.

The room itself was gorgeous, with a bed so comfy that my husband still speaks wistfully about it. The pull out sofa bed was NOT comfortable, I have that on good authority, teehee, but hey, the rest was fantastic.

It was particularly exciting to have tv speakers in the bathroom.

I got a good price on the penthouse at travelocity (cheapest of any of the cheapy sites).

Rock on!

Christmas in Lincoln RoadChristmas in Lincoln Road

Puerta Sagua, South Beach, MiamiPuerta Sagua, South Beach, Miami

Airboat in EvergladesAirboat in Everglades

Ocean PlazaOcean Plaza

Happy Hour, Cool Bars and Great/Affordable Restaurants

by amyd753

Hi,

My three girlfriends and I are making our second trip to South Beach and could use some advice. We're 25 and yes we do work, but we prefer to be careful with our money. I can use your help with the following:

1. Happy Hours
We'll be in South Beach Friday - Tuesday, do you know any great happy hours? Last trip we stumbled into Automatic Slim and found it was ladies night so we drank for free. Any other specials or deals we should check out?

2. Nightlife
We're not big clubbers and while I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, we loved the Cleavander. It was great to be outside, have fun music but also tables to sit and talk at. Do you know any other bars we should check out?

3. Restaurants
If you know any great restaurants within walking distance of Ocean Dr and that are affordable, I'm open to suggestions.

Appreciate your help!
Best,
Amy

RE: Happy Hour, Cool Bars and Great/Affordable Restaurants

by pulgaron

It sounds like you already did the SOBE happy hour thing. If you do not mind travelling a bit, I would recomend you come to the mainland in Miami and check out some of the happy hours around Miami Down Town. Got to go now but if you are interested I can post some places for you.

Cheers.

RE: Happy Hour, Cool Bars and Great/Affordable Restaurants

by mattdoc

Fun place for happy hour and cheap eats- Montys on the bay. Located south of 5th street near Alton road.

Check out coconut grove and brickell area. Good place to have cocktails b4 night of clubbing on south beach is located on the mainland on Brickell ave- "novecento".

I think clevelander is a bit cheesy.

If you want to see and be seen, go to skybar at the shoreclub (I believe 21st and collins ave). Also, have a drink at the delano hotel. These hotels/lounges are right near a happening part of sobe with clubs MYNT and ROKBar near by (tommy lee).

A developing scene is downtown Miami where there are venues like the Pawnshop and club space. All have websites

www.cooljunkie.com is a good resource as is the "new times" street newspaper free.

Do a tequila shot for me!

Comments