2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Rated 20% higher but also costs 47% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Dorchester Hotel

Fantastic for Miami!

Myself and my girlfriend have just returned from a week in Miami, where we stayed at the Dorchester.

When we arrived late on Saturday evening, we were pleasantly surprised by the Hotel, and the very friendly staff we encountered when we were checking in. The staff were helpful all week - except one girl who seemed determined to sell us trips which we did not want to go on - the concierge service was very useful for a restaurant booking as well.

The room was spacious, and although it didn't have coffee making facilities (there was a shop which made great coffee for $1 just left of the hotel!), everything else you wanted was there. The pool was sheltered from prying eyes, but was a suntrap, which was good!! One of the main benefits of staying in this hotel was the option to use the sister hotel, The Marseilles, bar, restaurant, pool and private beach. The Marseilles was situated about 1 block south of the Dorchester.

The location of the Hotel is ideal for people who want to be just far enough away from the main hustle and bustle of Ocean Drive / Collins Avenue, as it is about 1 5 minute walk to Lincoln Road and the top of Ocean Drive. Because of this, it does mean that the hotel is quiet enough to be able to get some sleep after a night out!!

Getting around town was made extremely easy as there was a bus stop directly outside the hotel, meaning that you could be in Dowtown Miami within 20 minutes or so, and heading off to do loads of other things than just lying on the beach!!

We had originally been booked into the Catalina hotel, which looked like it was in a war-zone, and we are very glad we changed!! The price was tremendous, and overall this hotel was perfect for what we wanted, and tremendous value for money.

I would definitnely recommend this hotel to people travelling to South Beach!!

One of the worst hotels I've been to...

Most of the rooms have a door (locked, of course) to adjacent rooms. This means that you hear practically everything that goes on in your neighbour's room.

The staff wasn't particularly friendly, and cleaning personnel didn't do their work properly. Once when we forgot to tip, the cleaning lady had not made our beds and the morning 10-11am day she kept knocking on our door, even though we had a 'do not disturb'-sign on.. ..we didn't open the door, so the woman phoned our room...

We were in this hotel for two weeks, and and that was enough, because the rooms were unpleasant, old (+ tv didn't work at times), the beds were uncomfortable.

The bathroom was nice, though, and the pool.

The smell of some kind of detergent was glued to our clothes and baggage after our stay, and at home we had to wash our clothes many times before it disappeared. I don't recommend this hotel for those who plan to stay longer (=over two days/nights).

Perfectly adeqaute

Good hotel, located just 1 block from the beach. Nicely renovated reception area, friendly staff who were very helpful and nice pool area. Room wasa bit dark as it was facing away from the sun. Good value for the area

will stay here again!

i was nervous about staying here b/c of the few negative reviews i read on trip advisor, but my friends and i had a very good stay at the dorchester. whatever we needed: towels, pillows, blankets, etc. the staff provided quickly and politely. had no probs at the front desk checking in, no language barrier - not sure what one reviewer was complaining about. this is not one of those 4 star chain hotels so don't expect bliss bath products and 200 count sheets! BUT it is the perfect hotel if you're planning on spending most of your time on the town. the location is prime and the price is just right for an affordable stay in miami. i would definitely recommend this hotel for spring breakers, wmc-goers.

Not Bad

I just returned from a weekend getaway at the Dorchester. It was a moderate hotel and offered exactly what it said it offered. Clean rooms, a pool, good location. Almost daily we walked to Ocean drive which was about a 20 min walk to get to the heart of Ocean Drive (between 11-5th streets) If you walk along the boardwalk that runs behind the hotels on the ocean, its wonderful.
The hotel staff was great, specifically Viji and Adan. The airlines had lost my luggage so I was not in the greatest mood when checking in. Viji did her best to keep my spirits up. We walked down to Lincoln Road (about 4 blks from the hotel)for lunch while we waited for our room to be prepared.
This is great place to people watch and eat. It is a pedestrian mall that offers a variety of food and shops. Our room was ready when we came back to the hotel. Its nothing fancy a basic room. We left again and upon our return we found our section of the hotel was without power. After a tearful request (due to lost/damage luggage issues etc) we were switched to a new room and upgraded to a junior suite at no charge.
We did go over The Marseilles, their sister hotel, which is about 1.5 blocks down from the Dorchester to use their pool. Only drawback, not alot of room for chairs, so seating is very limited.

Plan on spending money for drinks and food. I would also suggest you share at least lunch servings. Most places we ate at the serving sizes were large enough for 2. Drinks, unless you catch a special, are about $10 a drink. Also, most places include tax and gratiuty on the bills when presented to you.

Would I go back again--probably not, but I usually do all inclusives and found I missed just being able to get food/drink whenever I wanted it without having to carry cash with me.. Admittedly I am spoiled by that type of service.
If someone was looking to go to the South Beach area, and they wanted to be away from the "heart" of South Beach, this is the area for you..far enough away to enjoy the peace and calm but not too far to enjoy it if you choose.

Good Experience

I stayed at the dorchester last month. Very nice. It is not the Taj Mahal but from what I witnessed not to many places in South beach are. Nice Lobby, nice room. Everything worked well. Nothing smelled bad or looked old. I was actually pleased. Because of the price I thought it would be awful but I was delightfully surprised. One negative. If you are from the ages of 20-30 and want to be in the middle of all the action then stay a little further downtown. Most of the action is below 14th street and the dorchester is on 19th so there is a little bit of a walk back to the place. All in all I would definately stay there again.

ok but not great

As per someone elses view the carpets were shabby shabby shabby, they had a scent. The top sheet on the beds are not changed when the room is relet. so it means we were induldging in someone elses sweat we had to request the change after noticing dried bits on the bedspread, however the sheets were changed everyday. The staff are nice and the breakfast was fine too. Is ok if you just need a room but not ok if you want to chillout in and watch telly all day. The hotel spacing was large and the bathroom was nice recently refurbished, this was the best feature.

cheap & cheerfull

by TripAdvisor Member scan

For the price I thought this was great value for money, about 20 mins walk from all the action on ocean drive but great if you want an undisturbed nights sleep away from the music blasting away into the early hours like some of the other hotels nearer the centre. The room was spacious enough, cleaned every day, fresh towels etc, had an empty fridge great if you wanted to put your own drinks in to keep cold. There was a safe which they charged $1 per day. Hotel parking was $18 per day which was cheaper than the metered parking else where. Substantial buffet breakfast for $9. All in all I enjoyed my stay here and would certainly stay again.

Dorchester a good deal in Miami Beach

Myself and my two girlfriends stayed at the dorchester over spring break this year and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean -average size. The hotel was nice and the location was great. The pool was small but clean. The staff ranged from very friendly to ok. Overall - we spent very little time in our room so it was a great place to sleep, get ready for the beach, change for dinner and going out and then sleep again. There are a million hotels in south beach and unless you are paying $300 a night they are all older hotels- I would definately stay at the dorchester again as it was clean, reasonably priced, great location and had an overall friendly and helpful staff.

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member CC1906

Don't waste your time by staying there.
It is small, has nothing and quite frankly is on the same level as a motel.
Our tv didn't work properly, our phone didn't work properly. There was no kettle, so if you have a baby and need to heat up milk......you cant. No way of getting hot water after 11am. In the morning they charged 50cents just for a cup of hot water. No coffee making facilities. No public phone in the lobby. I'm not used to that. Dirty carpets. Sheets changed once every 3/4 days. They messed up our valet parking bill. They tried to make us pay for 5 days parking when we used it once and paid cash up front. Tried to charge us for the use of the safe. MAKE SURE YOU REALLY CHECK YOUR BILL WHEN YOU LEAVE.
Rooms smell a little bit like pee due to the Air Conditioning.
Use the stairs as the lift is very slow.
The pool area is o.k. but very basic. Don't expect a jaccuzzi.
The so called laundry room is not a room......It is OUTSIDE in the swelltering sunshine under some stairs. Nowhere to put the clothes as you fold them and as you'd assume everything is dusty from being outside. There is one washer and one dryer.
The keys kept on not working so had to constantly go down to renew them.
They asked for a deposit of $150 upfront...I'm used to giving them the credit card details just incase, but to actually have to pay them that in cash or on my card was unacceptable.
I have stayed in 4 other hotels in Miami and this was the worst. I will never stay there again and for my fellows Brits a US 3star is nothing like a UK 3star....its more of a 1 to 2 star.
I must say that some of the staff were quite helpful and it is not far from the action.

Dorchester Hotel, Collins Ave. - Is it really so bad???

by redrusty

Hi All.
A group of us are traveling to South Beach in March '08 and we are staying at the Dorchester Hotel on Collins Avenue for 5 nights. Having read some of the reviews of this hotel we are wondering if we have made a mistake!
We are not expecting the Ritz given what we have paid, however we were rather hoping that it would at least be habitable! We like the look of the location but we are starting to wonder if we should cancel and re book somewhwere else.
Has anybody stayed here recently and if so, what is it really like please???

Re: Dorchester Hotel, Collins Ave. - Is it really so bad???

by NaplesJim

Yes the hotels can be that bad and you are going during season, extra rooms are hard to find. I have had plenty of problems with SOBE hotels. Since you state a "group of us" I suspect you will not be in your room alot. If you have booked over the internet check your refund policy. I have said prior that I deal with the SOBE hotels very tough. Let me explan, Be ready to check in at check in time
NOT 10 minutes before or after, this is usually around 4pm. When you arrive at your room, check everything very quickly,like AC,water,towels, no leaks when the toilet flush, TV. if you wanted non smoking room,did you receive it, etc. If there is a problem correct it IMMEDIATELY and since you are staying 5 days you do not want to be interrupted to go to another hotel if dissapointed.The hotels have no shame for all the excuses they use. If you wait too late to correct problems, they will tell you there are no more rooms available when they have plenty but just do not want to clean them the next am. The hotels in SOBE do not care about you, they have your $ and once your there you are stuck, NO refunds.
They cater to the partiers. I just had an additional problem at the RICHMOND. You will probably be asked for not only a copy of your credit card but also your drivers license at check in.That is alot of info for someone to have. Someone charged telecom bills,bought a computer, they needed the special 3 digit ID on the rear of my charge.All the fraud was near Miami and I live in Naples FL. If you have a charge card which you don't do a lot and can monitor charges from home,USE IT. You will have fun though, just protect yourself.

Re: Dorchester Hotel, Collins Ave. - Is it really so bad???

by redrusty

Just out of interest, we survived our trip to the dorchester! We were pleasantly suprised. They have and are in the process of fixing the place up and it was basic but clean. For the money we couldn't fault it. Service was ok and we had a fantastic time in Miami. - Can't wait to go back!

Comments