Doubletree Ocean Point Resort & Spa - Miami Beach North

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 60% more than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Doubletree Ocean Point Resort & Spa - Miami Beach North

Wonderful Property-Ocean Pointe

I spent two days at the wonderful Ocean Point, Wonderful staff, great location. It was worth every penny. We will be back in June, cant wait.Honestly recommended for families.full kitchen, lving, dining room we could not ask for more.More advertisement probably.

Very nice place!

by TripAdvisor Member mwalami

Stayed here over Spring Break, April 3-9, 2004. The location is wonderful, away from the crowds of South Beach. After reading the reviews, I was skeptical. Tried to get a hotel around the Bal Harbour area, but all booked, so reserved here instead. It is a very nice resort with a beautiful beach area. Walking distance to restaurants, groceries and drugstore. Approx. 10 minutes to the Aventura Mall. (Note: South Beach is not as close as some mentioned here, I don't know which part of South Beach they went to, but it costs $45 in a cab for 4 of us each way to the beginning of Ocean Drive, South Beach. Cost $50 in cab to the Miami Bayside Place). The rooms were great! We had a 1 bdrm suite with very nice full kitchen. Beautiful furniture, lovely wrap around balcony with gorgeous view, very clean (the housekeeping staff was wonderful). I have to say the overall service in the hotel was very good, in spite of the reviews that say it was not. The front desk was great, polite, cordial, helpful. Concierge service was the same, very helpful. Now, for the comments I read here on the beach help - I did not find them to be the problem, it is the people staying here that are the problem! I do not ever remember staying anywhere that the guests were so rude. For instance, one group asked for an umbrella, the poor guy brought it immediately but everytime he stuck it in the sand, it was not the right place! He had to keep moving it (which he did without comment). People who say "Put my chair here, no put it there." Then when its there they want it here! Men who do not hold the doors or respect others, kids who are nasty, throw trash on the beach and pool area and don't flush the toilets at the pool are. Families who barge onto the elevators ahead of those with luggage, bags, etc. and prevent them from getting on, often barging onto the elevators before others even get off. Is this typical of the Miami area? I don't know, but I do know that impoliteness, discourtesy and disrespect for the property by the guests was running rampant in this hotel. I have travelled in at least 40 states, Mexico, the Caribbean, Europe, Great Britain and Morocco and have never seen people act like this. In summary, for the price this hotel is lovely, well maintained and a great location. Try it, but be prepared to ignore the guests. Also, rent a car. We did not because the price was outrageous for this particular week in Florida, more than double the usual rates because it was the week of Spring Break, Passover and Easter and then have to pay parking everywhere. Even with the cab fares we came out better with a cab than we would have with a car for this particular week. But for other weeks, it would be worth it to have the car.

Good Value

We just completed a 3 night stay 4/23/04-4/26/04. I was a little nervous after reading the other posted reviews, but was pleasantly suprised. It's good to have lower expectations and then be pleasantly suprised. We planned our trip only 3 wks in advance and paid only 365 ea, which included flight, hotel and car. We were happy to be able to be on the beach for this price (expedia). Yes, there is no getting around the valet and the beach fee, but I'm glad I was aware of it and was able to plan accordingly. The hotel was nice, there wasn't anything happening in the resturant, but we didn't want to stay in the hotel anyway. The beach is beautiful and you can walk for miles. The pool was small, but adequate. The speakers at the pool didn't work, but we could have moved if we wanted to be closer....and didn't. An added bonus is that we arrieved at 2pm and were able to get into our room (4pm is check in). The only real problem we had was that we rented a movie and took it up to the room and there was no VCR (these are only in the suites) so we took it back and received a full credit. We were close to Fort Lauderdale, and South Beach. approx 30-45 min each. We even drove to the Keys (I would only do that if you have more time to spend, as it is a bit far). It was nice to be located in the middle so that you had 2 short drives vs. one long drive. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone who wants to see a little of everything.

Comfortably esconced at Ocean Point!

by TripAdvisor Member eiffel

We were there around the same time as the reviewer before me (4/20-4/23) & I agree with what she says. Really enjoyed ourselves & loved the beach area, where we spent many hours each day.
Our room, though without a balcony, was enormous (and we also paid about $400 for a package that included air & car -- but i DID NOT KNOW about the extra unavoidable valet & whatever charges that amounted to an extra $80) & had great views of beach. Big bathroom too, stocked with Aveda products.
Gym was a good size too, for a hotel, and I indulged in a 50min Swedish massage that hit the spot!
I did feel like they running on minimal staff -- the front desk person always seemed to be multitasking (at varying levels of efficiency), and I felt badly for the umbrella guys, running around like maniacs (and so not always conveniently around.) But we're low-maintenance, and the weather was great. We got what we came for!

awesome family vacation

WHat an absolutely wonderful time we had with our 4 grandchildren and 4 adults. The Ocean Point staff were always polite and smiles were had by everyone. My husband and I arrived a day ahead of our daughter and her family so we decided to take a sneak peek and were so thrilled to have JOHANNA give us a tour of where we'd be staying the next day - she showed us the beach and all the facilites. The next day our family arrived and for 7 glorious days we had a wonderful vacation. The walk-in pool was perfect for our grandchildren ages 18mos, 4 yrs, 7 yrs and 9. The beach guys were awesome---they work harder than anyone there---thanks to George for always helping make us comfortable.....Erikca at the front desk was so fun and always ready to do anything to help......and the maids on the 6th floor were wonderful....Aveeda products and wonderful soft sheets made the night float by. We had a balacony all around our 3 bedroom condo....it was really Heaven I dare say.............thankyou all for a fabulous time. And yes, we will be back next year!!!!

YOU WILL LOVE THIS PLACE!

I just stayed at the Ocean Point Resort for four nights with my wife. It was a wonderful resort and I would not book anywhere else when returning to this area. Located between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami it is the perfect location and a short 20 minute ride to either airport.

We booked a 1 bedroom suite on the North side of the building. I must warn that construction on a new condo development on the south side does exist. The north side overlooks a beautiful city park with lots of palm trees. Request the north side and you will have excellent views and no construction noise! The room was very modern since the building is only 2 years old. The room was 1000 sq. ft. and had a teriffic view of the ocean and the intracoastal with its skyline of condominiums. Every single room in the hotel has a view of the ocean. You won't be dissapointed with the rooms. I am very picky and I was pleasantly surprised.

The beach was gorgeous and had turquoise blue waters with a nice surf. There were two asistants on the beach to get you complimentary chaise lounge chairs complete with a cushion that makes you feel like you are lying in bed. A very nice touch. An eight minute walk down the beach and there is a really cool pier with a tropical restaurant, bar and fishing tackle rentals. You won't be dissapointed with the beach.

The service in the whole hotel was great. The front desk was helpful, the maids polite, and the valet was quick, and the beach chair guys were awesome! I think the remarks made in other reviews regarding rude service were made by people that were probably rude themselves. Treat the staff nice and they will be nice to you. I reward good service with a $5 tip here and there and I think more people should do the same.

Directly across the street from the resort are many shops, restaurants, and other businesses including Quiznos Subs, Dennys, Walgreens, Argentina Steakhouse, and a whole lot more. This is a big plus offering great convenience.

The nightly charge was $199 and I felt that was a good value compared to the Trump Grand Sonesta down the street. These are really the two big players in this area for condo style hotels.

My only complaint... the full service restaurant is barely ever open and I don't remember seeing anyone there during the whole 4 days. Plenty of options across the street though. We actually enjoyed driving 5 minutes to enjoy outdoor dining at Aventura Mall which included the Cheesescake Factory. Also Bal Harbour (5 Min.) offers great outdoor shopping and good outdoor dining options also.

You probably think I work for the hotel at this point but the truth is that we really enjoyed our little get away. If you are lloking to party, south beach is about 20 minutes down A1A. Not alot of partying going on at the resort which was fine by us. The resort is great for families and had a very tame crowd with an average age of about 40.

I hope my review helps you make your decision on where to stay. I know where i'll be staying on my next visit to south Florida.

What a wonderful wedding we had!!

We actually got Married at this hotel May 15th, 2004 and was it wonderful. they wedding and reception for our 50 guests was great. The view at the hotel is phenomenal and a great beach. I was a little dissappointed with the room service cause every tme we called for it, they wouldnt be doing it at that time! Don't waste your money on a studio suite. they are really crappy and just like a regular holiday inn room and small. Go for the 1 bedroom suite at least. The balconies, kitchens, dining and living area are huge! the bathroom is the best with the unbelievable shower and huge jacuzzi bathtub. You get so much more for your $$ in the 1 bedroom suite. there are grocery stores nearby too and you can cook in the kitchen. I mean, they have a full refrig/freezer with Ice in the door, full stove and microwave, toaster, dishwasher, cofeepot, blemder...and none of it is small, it is all full size. I would definatly reccommend the hotel, but only the 1 bedroom suite, not the stuio. I imagine the 2 and 3 bedrooms are even better!

Great place for families!

From the moment we checked in to the moment we left we loved this place. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Even though we were a large family we found the two bedroom suite to be fine. We have five daughters so sharing a bed or room was not a problem. The front desk staff had upgraded us to a suite overlooking the beach. We had arrived early and they let us check in at 12:00. ( I had planned on just leaving our bags and getting into the room later)
My husband turned to me when we checked in and said this can not be what room we are supposed to have. It was so beautiful and well decorated. The view was outstanding!
We did not use any of the resturants they had because they never seemed to be open. It was the slow season.
One of the things I like however was that there were so many great places to eat within walking distance. I really like the Cuban resturant across the street. My daughters liked the Rascal House.

All in all I would recommed this place to any one. Especially large families.

Disappointed

My family of 12 just returned from this resort 2 days ago. I was very disappointed because we paid for a 4 star but this is a 3 star at best. Suites 701 and 705 needs to have furniture replaced. One of the chairs is torned and one has no springs left. We received towels which had an odor of windex, the hallways were dirty the entire 4 days, the View had the same limited menu, the $6 beach fee is outrageous compared to the lack of staff and old broken equipment, also make sure they do not charge you for parking when you do not have a car. Suite 701 is missing a CD player and the hot water turns cold after a few showers if you are traveling with a group. If you budget monthly to vaction in a luxury resort, this is not the place. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, a one bedroom suite, and a studio. All 12 family member left disappointed.

I'm going to set it straight for once (great place to stay)

PAY ATTENTION, this is a real review with up front honesty. i was so afraid when we booked our vacation at ocean point because i saw so many bad reviews, mixed in with some good reviews, i even wrote to the hotel about it, but now that my family has had its vacation i want everyone to know what a nice place this is. here are the pros and cons, but i can tell you right away it is mostly pros.
6 of us on vacation from june 26 to july 3.
we had a two bedroom suite on the 24th floor, we had paid for ocean view but were upgraded without even asking to ocean front. clean beautiful room, with everything you could want or need. we had a full stereo system/cd player, three televisions, 2 1/2 bathrooms, full kitchen, washer and dryer. main bedroom had a king bed, other bedroom had 2 doubles and the living room had a pull out queen sofa.
we enjoyed our stay very much, loved the beach and being able to have chairs with pads and umbrellas. pretty much everyone was friendly as far as the staff with few exceptions. here were the only problems we found and beleive me they were minute.
1. i feel they need more staff
2. reviews stated problems with cabana boys, we found one to be super friendly and hard working but indeed the other one was lazy and not friendly.
3. 16 dollars a day to park is a bit much, but the valet guys were great, they always got the car within minutes of being asked, even helped us unpack the van and pack it up again when we left.

this is all i can say as far as cons. you will enjoy this place. please feel free to email me if you have any specific questions i can answer for you.
p.s. you can get cheaper rates for this hotel at floridadirect instead of thru the hotel itself.

Comments