Essex House Hotel And Suites

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Rated 15% higher but also costs 22% more than other 3.5 star hotels

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Essex House Hotel

$179-289 depending on room and season.

Unique Quality: There's restored and there's restored. This one will jolt you back to the splendor of a by gone era.

More about Essex House Hotel And Suites

Great Location

I recently stayed at the Essex House hotel and had a pleasant stay. The room I stayed was a good size with a good air conditioning sytem and large television with all the cable channels. The location though was the best part - the hotel is only a couple of hundred yards from the most popular part of Miami Beach's beach. It is also beside the most popular cafes on Ocean Drive. The hotel price was also very reasonable considering all the best Eating and Drinking establishments are only a short walking distance away.

Below Average

by TripAdvisor Member travel2008vancouver

I have stayed at the Essex House many times and it has really gone down hill. Although the location is excellent the rooms arew overpriced and in a poor state of repair. On my last visit the carpet was so dirty you could not tell the original colour and the walls around the airconditioning unit were so rotten you could put your finger through the plaster. The Essex is also short on amenities. No in room coffee or safes. The mini bar is pure extortion (do not use) and tha bathrooms are basic. If you are paying over $100 a night for the hotel then don't ! Look elsewhere ! Their sister hotel the Blue Moon which is accross the street is 100% better and a nice place to stay. Again, if you get a really cheap rate then go for it but if your paying a decent buck then look elsewhere.

Not here if you are loking for a good nights sleep and a fair rate

We stayed in this hotel in early March 2004. The room was large with a good sized marble bathroom with a whirl pool tub but from here on in it just gets worse, We payed $199 for a room where the carpet was about as dirty as any I have found in any hotel, the smoke detector was ripped out, the place was musty and damp due probably to a non functioning fan in the bathroom which no doubt contributed to the rusty air vent coverings and there were holes in the plaster. Also every night we stayed there (3 in all ) we were kept awake by rowdy hotel guests until 6.00 AM who screamed and banged doors. The staff were pleasant but complaining fell on deaf ears. The one good thing was that breakfast was included but at 199 per night plus taxes that was the least they could do. I am sure better value exists virtually anywhere in South Beach.

Huge Room, Bathroom w/ jacuzzi and tv, and a quiet view of the strip!!

After reading all the positive reviews on this website about the Essex House, and knowing that most hotels on South Beach are dumps, my jaw dropped when I arrived to my $190 a night suite. The suite was HUGE, we had a king size bed, and not 1 but 2 sofabeds, we also had a view of the strip on Collins Avenue, but the room was still quiet at nights thanks to modern sealed windows. We also had a massive bathroom w/ a tv near the sink and a jacuzzi shower. The service was promt and helpful.The location is perfect right on Collins and 10th, a block down from Clevelander where you'll find plenty of drunk beautiful women right on Ocean Drive. Mangos and Wet Willies are about 4 blocks away. Beautiful women crossing the intersection of the Essex House at allll times. 1 block away from the topless beach. I couldn't ask for anything else. The free continental breakfast was slim but what else do u expect. At least the o.j. and apple juice was refreshing, had some grapes, bananas, bread and milk and cereal. Arrive early to get the goods.Some girls tanning by the pool but since the temp. was around 75, I didn't see anybody in there, but definitely could be a nice place to hook up during the summer. But overall, it was 3 of us in a room, and we could have fit 5. I felt like I got a steal, and I will be returning in August. ESSEX HOUSE is beautiful, AC is ice cold, But remember to get the suite! Enjoy!

Never smelled such terrible mold, and they double billed me

Do not stay at this hotel. I've travelled a lot, and stayed in many hotels, including many old european hotels that were showing their age, and have never smelled a more horrible bathroom than at the Essex House. Other features included being woken up a 4AM by people talking and drinking in the courtyard, and being double billed. The double billing occured because I booked through an agent but they took my credit card at the front, but assured me it was for damage deposit.
When I got home and checked my Visa online sure enough it was 2x billed. I called, they told me they would reverse the charge within days, but it's been a week and a half. I just called back and was told I have to call back in 2 days to talk to a manager - what a pain considering I just wanted a 'vacation'. I stayed at the Park Central as well, which was excellent and well worth a couple extra bucks.

Great

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 4 night stay in South Beach at the Essex Hotel. After months of research, reading reviews, and looking at hotels, we both agreed on the Essex. Once we arrived, we were very pleased. The entire hotel is very clean, newly remodeled, great staff, and the location couldnt be better. It is one block from the beach, bars, restaurants, and a short walk to Lincoln road shopping and nightclubs. Our room was very clean, bathroom spotless, we had our own controllable AC, cable tv with over 80 channels, nice garden view, and ceiling fan. The hotel staff will give you great tips and advice as well as discount tickets to various nightclubs--ask for Crobar-the best nightclub I have been to in a long time. The outside patio is a great place to relax...also you can save some money by buying drinks at the nearby store and drinking on the patio before going out....south beach is pretty pricey so the patio drinking came in handy. Pool is small but nice and private. My only complaint is that being on the first floor, you can hear the people above you walking around but being there for four nights, it only bothered me once. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable, 4 star hotel, in a great location, in a great city. Try quikbook for cheap prices for this and other hotels.

Incredible Visit-Great value near the Beach

My wife and I recently stayed at the hotel and found it to be a great price value. We were able to secure a large suite (king size bed and Jacuzzi tub) for $149. Ernesto and the balance of the staff were very friendly. The staff was able to provide us with good recommendations for dinner as well as club VIP passes. In my opinion this hotel represents one of the best values on the beach. Its one block away from Ocean Drive but far enough that we didn't have to deal with any of party noises. We would definitely stay at this hotel again and have recommended it to friends already.

Best breakfast in the area: News Cafe Best Dinner: Saprano's Cafe (complimentry limo service from the hotel-great food and atmosphere).
Most overpriced overated club: Tantra's--food okay service sucked-all about seeing and being seen.

Great location, friendly staff

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Essex House. Very friendly and helpful staff, nice lobby and comfortable room with newly renovated bathroom. Room was somewhat small (we suggest looking into a suite), but it was a great location-close to all the restaurants, bars, and clubs in South Beach. Continental breakfast wasn't up to par, unless you're okay with mini-muffins, doughnuts and danishes. Pool is small, but you're only a block from the beach. Overall, a cozy stay at a decent price. Look for good deals on the web-don't book through the hotel.

Essex House, Great South Beach Location

My family spent Easter weekend in south Beach and loved the Essex House. Just one block from the beach and in the heart of the Art Deco hotels. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to cater to my 6 and 9 year old kids. The room was newely remodeled and comfortable. and the suites are large and have cool furniture but only 1 bed so we were happy with a regular room with 2 beds.

Comments