Gansevoort South

amextravel.com Prestigia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 133% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

An amazing, romantic, perfect stay!

It is difficult to write about a wonderful hotel experience but I will try.

As we arrived we were greeted with a friendly smile. Our reservations were for a king city no balcony, but due to the hotel being at capacity, we were given a wonderful King Suite with what they called a city view balcony. This was a really nice start to what would be an excellent few days in Miami Beach. The room was huge!! We had a beautiful comfy king size bed, pink sofa bed and large coffee table with two ottomens, a large flat screen t.v., a desk with four chairs and a full bar. The bathroom was amazing, with its shower stall that had three tempature gauges, double sink and jacuzzi tub!!

The hotel also has three pools with the rooftop plunge pool being one of the most amazing pools you can dip in to, with cabanas you can rent and large swivel rattan chairs. There is also a full bar and at night this turns into a bar/lounge!!

The other pool, an infinity pool, is beautiful overlooking the ocean and the private beach below with its blue and white cabanas, tee-pees and fire pits. There is also a sauna to warm up after a cool dip in the pool, a full service restaurant/bar with some wonderful drinks and snacks.

The lobby is very beautiful with its 25 foot saltwater fish tank and a beautiful lobby lounge where you can enjoy a few cocktails before venturing out to dinner.

The hotel opened its doors in March 2008 and the gym wasn't open yet.

There was only one thing that we weren't too happy about. I will blame it on the fact that the hotel is new and probably understaffed on such a busy weekend. After lunch and a few hours at the pool we returned to our room sometime around 5:00 pm to find that the maid service had not paid us a visit yet. We called and maid service promptly came up, made our room and apologized for not being able to come earlier.

Other than the maid service issue, the hotel was wonderful and exactly what we hoped for, we couldn't have asked for anything more!!

UPDATE: OUR STAY IN 5/2011

Unique Quality: I entire hotel is beautiful, chic and very appealing. I definitely would stay here again!!

More about Gansevoort South

Miami (if you're cool)

by LizzyPR about All Over

*sigh* my favorite topic; Nightclubs.
Okay so depending on how exclusive/trendy/sexy you and your people are..it might be SUPER easy or SUPER difficult to get into some of these spots.. BUT I'm going to give you a little mixture of both cool and some normal spots..have fun! and less is more! lol. IF YOU'RE EVER IN NY AND NEED SOME SPOTS, ASK AWAY!

Nikki Beach Miami-(Penrod's Entertainment Complex) 1 Ocean Dr
Gansevoort South Hotel-(thursdays 11pm) 2399 Collins Avenue
Set-(fridays) 320 Lincoln Road
SkyBar Miami Beach at the Shore Club-(saturday) 1901 Collins Avenue
Shore Club-(sunday) 1901 Collins Avenue
Cameo-1445 Washington Ave Tropical/Sexy for women.
Casual Trendy for men.
White linens always works in any warm environment.

(Almost) fabulous Gansevoort

by TripAdvisor Member londonlollipop

My boyfriend and I chose the Gansevoort for our 5 night stay in South Beach for many reasons. Having been to the Gansevoort New York, I knew it had to be good. I'd also say that most of the reviews on here are pretty accurate. There were a couple of things I would disagree with, however. Firstly, the food is very average and very overpriced. We ate by the pool only once as soon as we arrived and were disappointed. I saw the food served on the rooftop pool which looked ok, but you don't seem to get a lot for your money. I guess that's just because of the type of hotel it is. Secondly, the service was inconsistent between the pool at beach level and the rooftop pool. You pay $5 dollars for a soft drink at each pool but on the rooftop it is served in a glass and at the beach level pool it is served in a plastic cup which is half the size! I brought this to the attention of the waitress who couldn't have been nicer and incidentally agreed with me wholeheartedly. I hope this has been rectified. Other than that we had a fantastic stay. Our room was beautiful and very large. The pools are amazing (go to the rooftop pool very early at a weekend as it gets very busy) and the staff are very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommend the Gansevoort.

Amazing views of Miami Beach

by Gypsystravels about Plunge Rooftop Bar & Lounge

The Gansevoort has a gorgeous rooftop pool with amazing views of Miami Beach to one side and the downtown Miami on the other end.

We were visiting Miami Beach during July 4th weekend and one of the high lights of the hotel and being in Miami Beach were the fireworks. We were looking forward to enjoying them from the rooftop deck, but unfortunately just a few hours before the fireworks show the sky opened up to a huge thunder storm that delayed the fireworks for over an hour.

After waiting so long for the storm to die down and then the fireworks to finally start, we were all hungry and decided to skip the finale and get some dinner, oh well, next time! There is a full service bar with some yummy drinks, but be prepared to shell out some money for the drinks, on average, $15-$18

A+ experience

by TripAdvisor Member echo78

Just returned from the gansevoort south. We had an outstanding experience. Although we were informed by the reservation specialist that this was a "soft opening" the hotel seemed completed to us. The pool is beautiful. The room was wonderful. Very stylish, spacious and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The most impressive aspect of the hotel was the staff, which my husband accurately deemed proactively hospitable. From the reservationist Joshua to the valet Gustavio to the pool attendant Francisco, everyone was eager to please, lovely and helpful. The hotel seems to make accommodating its guests a priority, and it really shows. I have traveled extensively, this hotel was a real treat!

Loved the Rooms & Rooftop

by TripAdvisor Member allure224

Had a wonderful time @ the Gansevoort- The rooms are pretty large by south beach standards- 700sq ft, and so we were thoroughly impressed. The rooftop pool was definitely the place to be. The scene and service was great. Try to get Canelle as your waitress because her bubbly personality can be addictive and contageous and she'll go out of her way to get you what you need regardless of who you are (i.e.- watermelon when its not on the menu) Theres another pool on the 3rd floor where families with kids were so the rooftop was basically about good looking people, music, and drinks. The staff are great throughout with the managers asking about your stay daily making you feel welcome. Everyone in the hotel wants to make sure that youre having a great time.
Definitely dine @ Phillipes downstairs with a strong recommendation for Jason as your waitor!
It is a soft opening and the stores are not yet open but by the end of the year...this hotel should definitely be filled to capacity with trendsetters.
I definitely would and will stay in this hotel again,

Thx,
J.R.
New York

Would definitely recommend

by TripAdvisor Member GaFriend

Me and my husband spent 5 days at the Gansevoort. I read the reviews and knew it was new and still had construction going on - so I was prepared for a little "dust". The hotel was actually in great shape and none of the construction affected us or took away from our stay.

The pluses: The rooftop pool is awesome!!! It is absolutely beautiful with beautiful views. The staff was great and set us up in one of the cabanas at no extra charge, because it was during the week and not busy.

The ambience is great and the furniture around both pools is very cool and fun!

The rooms are GREAT!! Very spacious and the bed is great!! Loved the large flat screen on the wall and all the room in the bedroom and bathroom.

Needs Improvement: We had to wait 2.5 hours to get a room - not real happy about that, since it was raining outside, so we really couldn't go walk around to kill time. Luckily we were able to watch the men's Wimbledon finals at the rooftop bar/pool under cover. Their excuse was it was the 4th of July weekend and they had been at full capacity and were behind getting all the rooms cleaned.

Service varied. They were great when approached, but we had to flag down or go look for servers at the pool. Food is VERY pricey at the pools - 2 chicken sandwiches $50 after food, tax, gratuity

If you are looking for a great hotel to relax and enjoy the ambience of South Beach - I would highly recommend this hotel. I think they are working on getting the kinks worked out. We checked in on a Sunday, (right after 4th of July) and didn't experience any problem with music coming from the rooftop pool.

I would highly recommend this hotel for couples or singles. It is not for small children, at all.

Never Again - Not Even For $99

by TripAdvisor Member SanniAtTheBeach

I stayed here with my sister-in-law from June 27 - June 30 to celebrate her birthday. I booked it through a discount website - I thought it was a steal at $99 per night. We were treated like we paid with food stamps.

We drove up and the valet promptly took our car, and we had to find our own way in (the small blue entrance door was very unassuming) - no doorman for us. We went to check in, and the girl at the desk , Erin, was friendly enough - she told us that we were getting a fantastic room, and we would love it. The bellman escorted us to our room, threw open the door, and...it was TINY. Two queen sized beds squeezed in side-by-side with only 2 feet between, a very small table in the corner and a dresser. They did manage to fit a kitchenette along the wall across from the bathroom, but the bathroom was tiny, with only a single sink and a shower stall. Where was the beautiful, spacious room I saw online? Surely there must have been some mistake. Where was the "fantastic" room that Erin raved about? Not to be a snob, but the entire room was the size of my bathroom at home.

I called the front desk, to see what could be done. I swear, I was pleasant and friendly when I told the desk clerk that I was unhappy with my room, and that it wasn't what I had seen represented on the website, and could they please give me another room? Without checking with anyone, she said that they were all booked and they didn't have anything else available. Of course, I asked to speak with the manager. She said that the manager was busy, and that she would call me back. When the manager, Morgan, called back ten minutes later, she reinterated that they were all booked, and that they had nothing available. I told her my concerns, that I didn't feel like I was getting what was represented on the website. I told her that I booked this hotel based on reviews from Tripadvisor, and that I would be posting details about my stay as well and I wanted to give a good review. She told me that since I booked through the discount website and paid only $99, this is the room that I was getting. She said that it didn't matter what Gansevoort's website showed for my rate category, I didn't "bookit" through Gansevoort, so...what you see isn't what you get.I told her that this was unacceptable, that I felt that I had been tricked with the bait and switch, that there was no disclaimer on the discount website, that I would be making a claim with American Express, that I didn't know who was at fault for tricking me, Gansevoort or the discount website, and that I was coming to the front desk immediately to check out and stomp down Collins Avenue with my luggage to the Ritz Carlton. I told her that this experience was ruining our birthday celebration. And I told her that I would be posting my experience on Tripadvisor.

Morgan then told me that she would check again call me back. Ten minutes later, called to tell me that she was sending someone up to show me another room! The bellman came back and took us to room 614 (which should have been 613, but they skipped it due to superstition, I think). This room represented the website - it was large with a sitting area but with only a king bed. We agreed to switch, and the bellman said we should go back to the old room and get out luggage while he went downstairs to get us new key cards, and he would meet us back at the new room. Thirty minutes later, we were still waiting. I went down to the lobby to find him standing around waiting while another couple checked in and a couple of front desk people were on the phone. He told me he was waiting, then went behind the counter, One of the desk personnel hung up and when I approached her, the bellman left. I told her about the situation, and she said she had to check with the manager Morgan, who was actually talking to another employee nearby. She talked to her, and the Morgan okayed it, and she NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED ME! She knew who I was, and I thought she would said something, like that she hoped I liked the new room, anything. I think she even gave me a dirty look! Was it personal?

I was quickly given new key cards and went up to the room. The room was spacious, lovely and clean, and the toiletries and bedding were fantastic. That night, there was turndown service - when we came back from partying, mats with slippers were by the bed and the sofabed, which had been made up.

Saturday morning at 7 am A FIRE ALARM! We managed to get outselves out of bed and into the hallway, and people were coming OUT of the fire exit. They said that it was blocked, so we went to another exit at the other end of the hallway. We went down the steps and out the side door onto 24th Street. There were about 15 guests outside, but no staff. After about 15 minutes, I went around to the front, and the lobby seemed to be business as usual. I asked what was happening with the fire alarm, and they said they were checking. They said we could wait in the lobby where it was cool, but they would make an announcement when all was clear. Eventually they did make an announcement that all was clear, but I never saw or heard any firetrucks or fire officials. I get spooked by fire alarms - I worked in Manhattan around 9/11. There was no going back to sleep for me (and no sleeping that night either).

That night was to be our last night. When housekeeping cleaned the room, they took away our washcloths (face towels). We had to call three times to get them replenished (almost an hour). When they did the turndown, they took them away again. Plus, they never turned down the sofabed, and after "partying" I could not figure out how to get it open. I called the front desk and they sent someone (I think he had been painting, he was covered in paint) who didn't know how to open it either. He was sober, though so he was able to figure it out after a few minutes.

After a restless night, in the morning I called the front desk. I asked them if I could extend my checkout for one hour. Of course they said, "No!" I reminded them that I had lost over an hour of sleep the previous morning with the fire alarm, and that the sofabed had not been opened/turned down last night. They basically said, "So?" Morgan must have been on duty.

Now, about the hotel: The (second) room was spacious, clean and beautiful, and smelled fresh. Large, abundant towels (except washcloths) and a beach bag in the closet with beach towels. Also had an iPod dock/alarm clock. The only complaint about this room was that the windows were old and the windowsills/casings were a bit grimy. Not that serious.

The rooftop pool was a bit much for us. You could only access it via one express elevator in the lobby, so you had to go from your floor to the lobby then up to the rooftop. There was a hotel employee stationed at the elevators, I think his job was to tell people how to get to the rooftop. The rooftop pool is the place to "see and be seen". Cabanas are $250 and beds are $150. The pool guy comes and puts the cover on your lounger and gives you towels. We hung out there for a couple of hours, but since the only shade costs $150, we bought a couple of $8 bottles of Fiji Water and went down to the third floor pool. Much livelier and down-to-earth. People were actually swimming. I was able to let my belly down (exhale!).

I don't know if the beach club was open. It seemed ready to go, but no one was there.

The lobby was beautiful. If you look at the giant fishtank as you walk next to it, it looks like its moving away from you.

The hotel is lovely, and I can see that it is going to be a really big deal when everything is up and running. Perhaps mine was an isolated incident, and maybe I would have had a better stay if I had booked directly and paid a competitive rate (although I suspect there was another underlying issue). This was truly the worst hotel experience of my life, and management really treated me like garbage. Maybe they should have the Disney people come in and train their staff in customer service (picture that), but I suppose the aloofness is part of the whole aura that they are trying to emit. I will not stay here again - even if they paid me $99 night (I'm not that cheap!).

Will be a nice hotel when everything opens

by TripAdvisor Member rodiggity79

I stayed at this hotel mid-June 2008 and I agree with all the previous posters.The hotel still has a lot of amenities that are not officially open. We paid a discounted rate because of an event but it still was not cheap. The kind of service you expect from a hotel this price is well above what they offer (as of now).

There were no real restaurants at the hotel so to get something to eat you had to go to the pool bars. We went down to the pool one evening around 5:45pm and were informed the bar would be shutting down in 15 minutes so we needed to order quick. I didn't understand this because the pool technically closed at 10pm. It's South Beach... people love relaxing by the pool/beach with a drink... why wouldn't you leave the bar open until the pool closes? Their prices are a bit outlandish... $18 for a cheeseburger, $13/drink.

I think this hotel is trying to be chic and expensive but doesn't have the services or ambience yet to justify the prices.
That being said, their rooftop pool is very nice and rooms are gorgeous. I enjoyed my stay and would consider re-visiting when the restaurants and gym open up.

Great hotel, but you need to know...

by TripAdvisor Member lovethebeachbaby

Great hotel and excellent staff- EVERYONE was really nice and professional and seemed to know their jobs well. The rooms are beautiful and clean and the beds are exceptionally comfy. Everything is brand new, so it's an especially nice time to enjoy this hotel.

But here are a couple of things you should know before you book a stay here:

First, and this is minor, but a lot of the rooms don't have bathtubs, so if this is an important feature for you (it was for us), then make sure you are clear about that when you reserve. Our first room only had a shower stall, but luckily they had space that weekend and they were able to move us to an even nicer room with both a shower and a separate tub.

Second, on weekends, this hotel can be a scene, and the thumping music until 2 am or later is UNAVOIDABLE. This may not be a great choice for people with kids or early risers. We were in a room on the 8th floor and the music was coming from the roof (on 16), and I could literally sing along to the songs from inside my room with the windows closed. We'd flown in that day and we were tired and trying to go to sleep by 1 am (which isn't even that early if you think about it) but there was no way to sleep with the music blasting from the roof-top party. I called downstairs to ask how late the party was going, and the guy at the front desk said "probably like 2 or 3 am". The music went on until just after 2, which in retrospect wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. Every hotel guest we talked to the next day had been disturbed by the music, so it seemed like no matter where you were staying in the hotel you could not avoid hearing it. This only happened on 1 of the 3 nights we stayed, thankfully, but I was really wishing I'd brought some ambien with me for the night I couldn't avoid the party.

Other than that, we literally had no complaints. The pool area is beautiful (we preferred the 3rd floor pool to the rooftop pool, but the roof is nice, too), the lunch food at the pool was delicious, and even though the area between the pool and the beach wasn't finished yet, they seemed to be close to finishing. There was access directly to the beach from the 3rd floor pool area, and the hotel has chairs, umbrellas, and attendants right at the beach, which is really nice if you choose to be by the ocean instead of by the pool.

We had a car, but if you're staying at this hotel, you really don't need one. It's a 15 minute (beautiful) walk on the boardwalk to Lincoln Road, where lots of restaurants and shops are located, and you can get everywhere else by taxi, which, if you're staying within the South Beach area, will be cheaper than the cost of a rental car and the parking charge at the hotel, which I think was around $25 a day.

The beautiful Cabanas at the GansevoortThe beautiful Cabanas at the Gansevoort

Hot spots in Miami Beach

by gigi_samp

I'm going to Miami in july and I want to know the latest hot spots in Miami, in terms of nightclubs and restaurants. Any tips?

by LizzyPR

*sigh* my favorite topic; Nightclubs.

Nikki Beach Miami-(Penrod's Entertainment Complex) 1 Ocean Dr
Shore Club-(sunday) 1901 Collins Avenue
Cameo-1445 Washington Ave

by gigi_samp

Thaaanks Lizzy!!

As for the exclusive/trendy/sexy i have no idea.. Don't know the standarts.
Here in Rio de Janeiro is pretty easy to get into a nightclub!! And if you ever need help with that, feel free to ask!!

by YVRDave

Is B.E.D. passe now?

by YVRDave

Is the Shagamore (Sagamore Hotel) not an OK spot?

Comments