956 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, Florida, 33139, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• 43beckos's Profile Photo

Great Location, Check facilities before you visit

Stayed at this hotel in September 2007 after getting a good deal direct from the hotel. The hotel advertises it’s rooms as suites, and whilst the rooms are big, an armchair does not make a suite. The rooms were spotlessly clean, and the layout and furnishings in the room made the whole space very chilled and relaxing. Big well lit marble bathrooms. Rooms are equipped with TV, radio and CD players, and a mini bar / basket with some rather bizarre items available.

Be aware that the hotel bar is closed through the summer until mid October, so there are no restaurant or bar facilities during this time ( which the hotel website failed to mention). Breakfast is cereal, croissant and fruit, served from the closed bar adjacent to the lobby, which results in breakfast having a bit of a youth hostel feel.

The Astor has two big pluspoints, it’s staff who are very friendly and knowledgeable, and it’s location, only three minutes walk from Ocean Drive.

I would stay here again for short stay

Unique Quality: The lobby of the Astor is an Art Deco masterpiece, and rooms have some bizzare items in the minibar. Staff are very friendly. The hotel also has it's own area of the beach, with beach towels and loungers included in your room price

Directions: Corner of Washington and 10th, opposite the Woolfsonian Museum

More about Hotel Astor

Hotel Astor is great!

by TripAdvisor Member Phish5

We planned a girl's long weekend trip to South Beach and we really had no idea what hotel to book so after reading many reviews we picked the Hotel Astor. We had heard that the lounge and restaurant were great but when we got there both were under construction. The new restaurant did open on our second night but we didn't go. Neither really bothered us as there are so many restaurants and bars around within walking distance. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. The hotel was very quiet and rarely saw anyone else staying there. The rooms were great - we had 2 junior suites with 3 girls in each and both were very comfortable. Big rooms and washrooms which was great for us. The weather was beautiful - 86 and sunny everyday which added to the great experience. Although the Astor doesn't have a pool we were informed that we were allowed to use the roof-top pool at their sister property hotel The Strand on Ocean Drive which was awesome as it wasn't very busy, comfortable lounge chairs, and a great view of the ocean. I would highly recommend a trip to South Beach and staying at the Hotel Astor!

It is a great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wgrand

The room are nice, clean and big for being south beach. The bed and pillows are soft, which can make you oversleep. The hotel is located near the clubs and two short blocks from the beach. I will come back to stay here again to check out their new bar and restaurant. Great value!!

Appalling experience, never again

by TripAdvisor Member AngusTrumble

It wasn't merely that they were pulling up the carpets and generally in a state of chaos during my stay - although that was noisy and inconvenient. What made the experience miserable was the deftly calibrated rudeness of the staff, the embalming skills of the chef, the meanness with which the deserted cocktail bar withheld drinks from thirsty guests until some arbitrarily chosen opening hour, which was different on all three nights I was there. They cannot be blamed for the depressing views over the neighboring parking lot, but the heady perfume of stale dope that lingered like marsh gas in the corridor, drifted under doorways, and burrowed its way into every nook and cranny - this didn't seem to bother them. My tactfully worded complaint was greeted with laughter. Doesn't it happen to be illegal?

Great hotel... why the complaints??

by TripAdvisor Member James003

Having difficulty in finding a relatively cheap room in South Beach, we booked the Astor with a degree of trepidation but were absolutely delighted with it.
1 The Room. It was clean, boasted all the normal facilities one requires such as a safe, storage, big TV, decent sized bathroom and a tray of snacks etc which included everything from fancy snacks to a discrete safe sex pack. It was roomy, airy, the air con was quiet etc etc, no complaints at all.
2 The location. Just two blocks from the beach, with a 7-11 across the street in a reasonably good area filled with shops and restautants. There is bank three doors down, suchi restaurants and a range of shops very close by. At no time, even late at night, did we feel anything but secure. Lincoln Drive is a short stroll away and for the price, we were absolutely delighted.
3 Value. We paid around $160 dollars a night, more than many budget hotels in the area, but coming from the UK we thought it great value and havng seen some of the cheaper alternatives from the outside, were delighted to pay a little more. Other reviewers apparently paid around $550 and if that was the case I can understand their frustration as it is not the Intercontinental by any means, but would question their financial choice rather than the hotel.
4 Staff. Were polite,caring and helpful. They do require you to check out at noon on the dot but were more than happy to store our bags, order taxis etc.
5 Food and bar. We ate out and there is such a plethora of bars in the area it seems strange one would not venture from the hotel but as mentioned earlier, we did not partake so cannot really comment.
6 Overall facilities. Again, it was clean, comfortable, well laid out. The lift is small but this is an art deco hotel so what does one expect...

In summary, we would have no hesitation at all in staying there again and would highly recomend it. Having booked it on the strength of the positive reviews on here we are delighted to support them. We will certainly be back.

Boutique Classy Hotel, snooty staff :-)

by TripAdvisor Member traveller20072007

The room was chic, fairly clean, nice ambience in the hotel, good location. But when we asked one question about our room, we were told that if we didn't like it we didn't have to stay there by the guy at the front desk!...Whoa what an attitude, it was as if he did us a favor by letting us stay at the Astor. Pretty insufferable fellow throughout our stay - Armando, Alfonso, or something with an "A"...can't recall his name exactly. Everyone else there was courteous and professional. If it wasn't for him, the experience would have been without incident.

Service Was Excellent

by TripAdvisor Member fannylu

Everyone at the hotel was wonderful and went above and beyond to make sure my wife and I had a great time in South Beach. Even the housekeeping staff addressed us by our last name. That's personal service!!!

Strong recommendation ... but do your research

by TripAdvisor Member DCtraveler68

Probably like others on this site, I spend way too much time researching hotels. This past trip to South Beach was no exception. I picked the Astor based on price, appearance and location. I'd strongly recommend it to others ... just know what you're getting in advance. While on Washington Avenue, the hotel is actually very nicely located. And because it's not on Ocean Drive, it's much more peaceful. It has a nice facade and a very nice lobby (just what I wanted). The rooms are not overly luxurious by any stretch, but are decorated in a clean, modern style that was very nice.

The staff was very friendly, but not overly welcoming. For reasons that are incomprehensible to me, they do a terrible job of explaining the hotel ammenaties. There is a $10 resort fee which was never once mentioned to me. I only knew about it because I'd read about it on this site. Even when checking in, they don't explain what it gets you. And I saw more than one couple rather upset to discover it upon check out. It's actually a good deal. It gets you lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach, as well as access to the roofdeck pool of the Astor's sister hotel, the Strand (which is just two blocks away). That pool is a little small, but the view is fantastic. It provides a nice scene change to time on the beach (and we were always able to find lounge chairs up there). When I asked about the fee, I was told one of the amenities was "room service." Seemed a silly answer when for just $10 bucks the beach service and pool were more than worth the expense (two lounge chairs on the beach alone are $18).

The Astor is also not a high service hotel -- but that also means that it's a very tranquil. There are not a lot of people running about.

They could probably keep a better eye on the rooms in terms of upkeep (no hangers, no iron, leaky faucet), though ours was very clean.

The restaurant is amazing, but quiet (the sister restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale is more lively).

All in all, I would definitely recommend this to others and I would happily stay there again on my next visit.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cfarley

Stayed at the Astor from 4/2 to 4/6 with my wife. Nice hotel and great location. Booked flight and hotel for 4 nights and flights through travelocity and paid $1600.00. Thought it was a little pricey for Miami but told it was the high season, so I was going to pay top dollar. Overall thought the hotel was nice and clean and the staff friendly. Only thing that was bad was someone was smoking in another room and the smoke was coming through our bathrrom vent. Thought all Miami hotels were now non-smoking? Staff didn't seem to care when I told them, oh well. Other than that, My wife and I had a nice stay. Would go back.

First stay was a pleasant surprise

by TripAdvisor Member BostonMAUSA

I enjoyed my two day stay at the comfortable, low-key Astor. The location was extremely convenient. The beach - 3 blocks, the shops on Collins Ave - 2 blocks, the Lincoln Road shopping/restaurant strip - 7 blocks and a municipal parking garage on 12th was a steal at $8/day. The room was comfortable with a king size bed, sitting area, writing desk, stereo system, free wireless internet, minibar, great air conditioning and a marble bath with absolutely the best shower water pressure I've ever had in a hotel. If you are a workout buff, the hotel provides $12 passes to Cruch fitness - a real South Beach gym experience with a DJ each night. One word of caution - the rooms facing Washington St. (front) are subject to a LOT of street noise on the weekends due to all the nightclubs close by. If you are sensitive to noise and turn in early, try to get a room that is not front facing.

Comments