1230 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, Florida, 33139, United States

Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 15% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Worst hotel in South Beach?

The worst hotel we have ever stayed in.

Hallways smelled of human waste, cockroaches in our room, loud dance music playing until the morning with the speaker outside our window. We did not get a second of sleep.

No staff anywhere, beds and pillows uncomfortable, the entire hotel dirty. This 'hotel' shouldnt even be open to the public.

We left after one night and booked into another hotel for the same price and 10 times better. They refused to give us any refund or discount on our absurdly priced $200 a night room. Avoid!

• Lovely Art Deco Hotel South Beach

The Hotel Ocean at South Beach has an excellent location. Chairs and towels for the beach are provided which pleased us. The Italian Restaurant was very good. The rooms were
    spacious and well kept. The decor of the hotel is superb. This is cewrtainly one of the better Art Deco Hotels in South beach.

Unique Quality: Lovely decor and nice service.

More about Hotel Ocean

It is actually The Hotel Ocean

by TripAdvisor Member strauth

After reading The Food and Wine review we decided to try it. It was all they said and more. A view of the ocean from two rooms and the suite was spacious. The staff was extra courteous. Our en suite bathroom was designed without a door, which is fine for the design forward, but might turn some off(there is another bathroom). A word to the wise South Beach is very Euro, so if you are expecting a chain hotel go elsewhere. SoBe is about the beach, nightlife and is historically significant so if you are used to HoJo's that is where you should stay.

A nice French bistro

by csordila about Les Deux Fontaines

Les Deux Fontaines successfully sets an example for many Ocean Drive eateries with fresh seafood, and a French countryside ambience.
Attached to the Hotel Ocean, it features an oceanfront patio, which contains the two fountains for which the place is named. Inside, there is a French bistro, where you can stop by for a simple breakfast of cappuccino and a croissant.
On any given night the meal can be accompanied by live jazz, dixieland and swing from 7:30pm to 11:30pm.
The crowd here ranges from tourists to locals looking to escape the fray of Ocean Drive. In evening dinners prior the theatre, Sunday brunches are very popular.
(Partly from South Beach Magazine Review) I was extremely satisfied with the menu, seafood delights, however, if you are not into seafood there were plently of not fishy items such as veal, beef, chiken and vegetarian plate.
The bouillabaisse, a traditional mediterranean dish is splendid, there is a wide selection of wines.
The tip of 18% was automatically added into the bill.

Opening hours: 7am until 12 midnight
Reservations by phone are suggested.

Great Guest Service

I have stayed at Hotel Ocean several times during my travel to Miami for work and I will continue to stay there during all my visits to South Florida. I was a Marketing Rep for Reebok International for the past 3 years and I have traveled to many cities and stayed in many hotels throughout the United States and Hotel Ocean is perfect in every way - customer service, location, nightlife, internet, dining, room size, and LOCATION!!! It doesn't get much better than walking outside the front of the hotel and just being a few buildings down from Versace's mansion! To the staff - Bernard, Joe, and Raberta - THANKS!!!
-Rick

Roaches and more Roaches

by TripAdvisor Member OneScorpiodc

I've visited Miami many times and I can honestly tell you that staying at Hotel Ocean was my worse hotel
experience.

My hotel room had tons of roaches and the drain in the shower wasn't working (I looked down and I had water up to my ankles).
I was so afraid of those roaches getting into my luggage and transporting them back to my Condo in Washington D.C.
I was in absolutely total shock when I reported this to the front desk and the young lady at the Front desk attempts to ease my fears by saying that she was from Brazil and that she grew up with roaches. Like most people I am afraid of roaches. Her words that followed that was "You can leave if you want". Another customer standing by to speak with her also got involved in the
conversation because he too was in shock and we both explained that we would file a complaint. It was clear by her tone that customer complaints weren't foreign to her and that I expressed to her that her cavalier attitude was the result of her being exhausted with complaints from customers at Hotel Ocean.

I have never experienced the lack of professionalism I've experienced at Hotel Ocean.

Dirty, a bit run down and expensive

by TripAdvisor Member Jay-Antonio

Trusting the reviews in a few travel guides, we booked a 'deluxe superior room with balcony and ocean view' at the Hotel Ocean (250 dollars per night). The person at the reception we booked it from even mentioned it was her 'favorite room'.

We arrived to find the room dirty and run down (curtains, comforter and furniture were stained, floors were dirty...).

The sea view was in most part obstructed by the roof of the restaurant below. You could only catch a glimpse of the beach on either side of the roof (and this was on the 4th floor of 5)

The kitchenette lacked the bare necessities (forks, knifes, coffee machine...). So, totally useless.

The breakfeast was non-existent (self service composed of a few slices of bread, slices of re-formatted ham and kraft processed cheese...)

Personnel was scarce and poorly trained.

It was so bad it would have been funny if it hadn't been that expensive.

Stear clear of hotel ocean!!

Now under new ownership - has gone seriously downhill since last stay in Nov '04

Eager to return after an excellent experience in Nov 2004, when we found the Hotel Ocean to be stylish and service-oriented, we were very disappointed this time, since it seems to be joining the ranks of budget SoBe hotels (while retaining the original room rates!)

We were upgraded upon arrival since the occupants of our room had been granted a late check-out. I don't know what it would have been like, but the room we had (ocean view, 3rd floor) was very shabby. There was no fridge, and the extra touches (coffee, alarm clock, wine glasses) we appreciated last time have all now been removed - a couple of plastic motel cups were all that was provided. When asked about the missing fridge, staff said they "did not know".

Requested glasses, ice etc. were not available because these would have to come from the restaurant, and it is always closed on Mondays (the day we checked in).

Beach towels had run out on Monday afternoon, and were "not ready yet" on Tuesday morning. In the end, we were given a couple of hotel bath towels.

We were eventually informed that the hotel has recently changed hands, and is under new management. It now seems to be run on a bare-bones basis, staff are thin on the ground, and any style or service-orientation appears long gone.

The restaurant has also changed, and is now run by an Italian chain - complete with uniformed Roman centurion on the sidewalk. Breakfast was very poor - we were told that the toaster and some other kitchen equipment were broken, and would not be repaired for another week or so.

All in all, hugely disappointing. Very much regret our decision to return.

Penthouse suite a joke

by TripAdvisor Member jgorski336

Pictures they had of penthouse suite taken from very flattering views- Actually the sofa etc area was huge and the area with bathroom and bed very very cramped. Hotel room was not clean. Bathroom sink fixtures loose - towel bar on wall loose... cigarete burns on patio furniture......Kind of a dump. Tried to suprise my girlfriend with a nice vacation and she was horrified and insisted we go to another hotel. This is where the real fun started. I mentioned the shortcomings of the room - the false advertising... I wasnt asking for anything in return... Just to be allowed to get out of my reservation. I argued with the girl at the desk and eventually the owner for quite some time... Only after threatening to call my credit card company about them did they offer to let me out of my reservation for 10% of the fee.,. So basicaly - I was fooled - had to spend a night in a dirty dumpy hotel room - then was charged a fee after arguing to just get out of there. They tried to charge me $1000 to get out- .. Unless you are going college dorm style - Stay very far away from this room. And if the owner reads this - you remember me.... You should have done the right thing and just provided a clean room and let me out of the reservation after you were notified it was dirty and in disrepair.

I am only sorry I did not post a review sooner to hopefully save some people a hassle and negative experience for your vacation.

STAY AWAY from Hotel Ocean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second Stay - Not As Good

by TripAdvisor Member Grumpy23

I stayed here previously about a year ago and had a wonderful experience. This time we booked the 2 bedroom suite and were disappointed to see that it was a little more 'worn' in appearance than the other rooms we had booked - for example, the couch was a little scummy - nothing bad, just in desperate need of refurbishment.

However, we were disturbed to discover in one of the pillows supplied ants were clearly 'living' in it - dozens would emerge each day and began to congregate all over the bedroom wall. However, when we brought this up with staff, the problem was fixed quickly.

The air conditioning probably needs to be upgraded as well, its not the most reliable.

Overall, it's not bad, but I will probably look at other hotels next year.

Colony Hotel - Ocean DriveColony Hotel - Ocean Drive

Mojitos @ The Tides Hotel, Ocean DriveMojitos @ The Tides Hotel, Ocean Drive

good hotel in south beach

by flagirl33

I am staying in south beach for 3 nights at the end of February with 4 girls and need a recommendation of where to stay. Of course we want to be near the action around Delano, Loews, etc. but don't mind a short cab ride from ocean drive either. I will be driving and dont' want to pay a ton for parking. With four girls we either need a big room or suite, or two small rooms. What about Dorchester suites, Crescent Hotel, Hotel Ocean or The President. Willing to pay moderate price for clean place with a pool. Any suggestions? Thanks

Re: good hotel in south beach

by pulgaron